Tipping for room service?

ChiTownZee

"You have no idea what I'm capable of."-Evil Queen
How much do you tip for room service? A percentage of the bill or a flat fee? I understand the deluxes do a bit of prep work for your meal so was unsure about this.

I usually tip 18%, but if I am not mistaken some resorts add the gratuity onto the bill automatically.

Can anyone verify that?

Last trip, we let out teens order in while we went back to Epcot. MY daughter noticed how appreciative the young man delivering was as she tipped him. After he left , she found out why---the tip had already been added in, so the young man had been tipped twice!!!.

I usually tip the guy an extra $5 because who knows if that guy really gets the whole 18%.

I have worked at a hotel before and yes they do get the full amount of gratuity that is added to the check. Their income taxes will probably be withheld, but they are supposed to report all cash tips and be taxed on those as well.

Most hotels automatically add the gratuity (18%), plus another service or delivery charge($2 or $3).

Yep, we doubled-tipped one time at the CBR. I KNEW they had a built-in tip, but it was late at night, I forgot, we just arrived from the airport, and we were starved!!! Oh well, it's not like they make Bill Gates kinda money.

Whatever you do, don't let them pull the " I don't have change" excuse on you, like they did my Mom... She ordered room service, for just her and only had a $20... Her bill was about $11 dollars, the waiter took the rest as tip...:rolleyes:

The room service menu should tell you -- probably in teen tiny print -- that there is a "service charge" (i.e., tip) automatically added to your tab. It's usually 18%. When the food is delivered, check your bill. If the "service charge" is indeed there, you ARE NOT EXPECTED TO TIP the server.

Of course, if you request something besides food -- extra towels or a bottle opener or a coffee maker or something -- by all means, do not hesitate to give the person who delivers it a buck or two. :)

At the Disney deluxes, there is a 'service' charge that is separate from the 'gratuity'. The automatic gratuity of 18% is added to the bill, the service charge is a separate line item, but I can't remember if it is $2 or $3.

quote by A1A1

I usually tip 18%, but if I am not mistaken some resorts add the gratuity onto the bill automatically.

wow...lol...I have enough trouble figuring 15%...I'd be standing there all day trying to figure 18%.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter