• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Tips for Pressed Pennies

texmom

Earning My Ears
Just a couple of tips that helped me out...they may be repeats but here they are.

I keep pennies and quarters in mini m&m tubes, it keeps them contained and easily accessible at the parks.

However, if the tubes are in your carry on bag at the airport, they show up on the xray machines as black spots and your carry on bag must be hand-searched. ( We found this out thru personal experience!!!) So make sure you pack the tubes in your checked baggage if flying!

A Disney CM told me that a coat of clear nail polish on the pennies (after pressing) will keep them from tarnishing.

Anyone out there got any others?

Not a tip really, but just sharing what we do with ours. I know that there are books to keep pressed pennies in now, but back when we started there were no such things, so we have a special pressed penny bank. We also keep some coins from other countries we have visited. It's fun to pull them out every now and again and remember not only our WDW trips, but many others. Also, I agree with putting rolls of coins in checked luggage...discovered through personal experience. Fortunately, we live in a relatively small town with an international airport, so the search didn't involve any long lines or waits.

Use pennies that are before 1983. The metal changed in 83 and the pre 83 pennies are better.

Soak your pennies in a tomato product for 10 minutes to get a very nice shine. I used tomato sauce, but I hear salsa works good also. I could not believe how shiny my pennies got.

I went on a rampage in WDW with these things lol. My family got the master list and got almost everyone...Yes the security thing in the airports is unfortunate because I got searched! I had some personal items in my bag and was like oh boy, but Vinegar will clean the pennies before 1983

Alex

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter