Tired of the Rental Car games

ILoveMyDVC

DIS Veteran
Am I the only one tired of playing Coupons/Contracts/PCs/Aggregaters...?

Rates range from $1,000+ to $425 for the same days. National is just laughable compared to - well everyone.

Can't use Priceline because there may or may not be an additional charge for DH.

It all feels so scam-my.

I used to enjoy the hunt. Not so much now. It's just a PIA that has to be done unless one can reconcile any $ is okay. Add in the high pressure sales at pick-up and UGH and I am too old.

Please spare the rental car companies are a business lecture. Everything is a business.

I find nothing tiring about it. Or scammy. If nationals pricing doesn’t work for you, try Alamo. If you have Costco, try Alamo through them.

I’ve only used National and Alamo at Wdw and I’ve never had anything even remotely close to high pressure anything at pickup. Don’t even have to stop at the desk.

But I haven’t had a code or coupon really work for me for ages, so I look for the basic cost and go from there.

I wouldn’t use Priceline.

Yep, prices are high. But it's a case of supply and demand. It drives me crazy that if I rent a car at MCO and want to drop it off at the Dolphin, the rate doubles, sometimes triples! It's my choice as to what I'll pay. And I don't play the game. I'm an Alamo Insider...if I don't get a rate I can live with, I don't rent.

I find nothing tiring about it. Or scammy. If nationals pricing doesn’t work for you, try Alamo. If you have Costco, try Alamo through them.

I’ve only used National and Alamo at Wdw and I’ve never had anything even remotely close to high pressure anything at pickup. Don’t even have to stop at the desk.

But I haven’t had a code or coupon really work for me for ages, so I look for the basic cost and go from there.

I wouldn’t use Priceline.

All of them - the whole rental game = scammy. Not Just National.

Costco is our go to site here also-the savings easily pays for our membership fee. As for the high pressure sales pitch, both dollar and budget have added things that I said no to recently-dollar in Vegas and Budget in Melbourne. Watch the bill. Also-check closer to the trip-our last booking went from $117 for 3 days to around $60 the week before.

I stopped everything except checking Costco Travel site. I start about 6 months out, and book something reasonable. I check every few weeks, when I remember. About 2 months out, I check it weekly, more or less. 3-4 weeks out, DAILY. But just that one website, and no codes to enter or remember. Costco does that for me. I am down to $181 for June 28-July 5, Mid SUV. I am now checking daily for less, but I think that is the bottom price. But you never know! Mid SUV was less than any other car, and it fits luggage easily, and I drive one at home, so perfect.

Prices are not like they were in the past. You have to change what your acceptable threshold is now, or it will make you crazy. I only stick with Alamo and national. Both companies have always been good to us during smooth rentals and difficult rentals. I know what I’m will to accept and just pay it. I’ve used hertz, budget, and dollar in the past, but no longer. I’m willing to pay more at Alamo and National. Sometimes the lowest price is not always the best choice.

Last edited:
This is why I love Alamo so much. No need to stop at the counter. Can do online check in and go right to the car.

As far as pricing I usually spend quite a bit of time when I first book looking for the "best" deal which is almost 99% of the time my back up ressie. After that I periodically check the costco travel site and will often rebook. I find a between 2 weeks and right up to the trip I usually lock in at the best rate in Orlando.

Its all supply and demand. If they have a lot of cars they start lowering the prices so people will rent them.

Question for you Costco people. Our nearest Costco is about an hour drive from our town. I don't have an issue getting a membership just for the purpose of car rental discounts. Is that possible? Can I just sign up online and not have to go to an actual brick and mortar store?

I’ve only used National and Alamo at Wdw and I’ve never had anything even remotely close to high pressure anything at pickup.

I don't own a car. When I need one, I'll rent for a day. I also make 4-8 one-way trips between Fort Lauderdale and Orlando each year. I rent from Alamo, Avis, Budget, and Hertz. I also have never experienced anything remotely high pressure. And, 100% of my rentals are done via agents at a counter.

I suppose different people might have different definitions of high pressure. Listening to upgrade spiels and/or insurance spiels doesn't bother me. All you have to do is say "no" and move on.

Am I the only one tired of playing Coupons/Contracts/PCs/Aggregaters...?

Rates range from $1,000+ to $425 for the same days. National is just laughable compared to - well everyone.

Can't use Priceline because there may or may not be an additional charge for DH.

It all feels so scam-my.

I used to enjoy the hunt. Not so much now. It's just a PIA that has to be done unless one can reconcile any $ is okay. Add in the high pressure sales at pick-up and UGH and I am too old.

Please spare the rental car companies are a business lecture. Everything is a business.

^SOOO this^. I came to the forum today to see if anyone was having better luck than I am.

We do have a backup from Priceline with Budget that includes both drivers, but it's still pricey.

It feels like you need a secret handshake or something to get the best price. Costco for me is currently the best of the lot, but the Priceline and a code through my workplace has it lower (but STILL not great--$500 for 2 weeks in a sedan in August).

For the person wondering about the Costco membership, I'd call and explain it to them. They do require a picture ID for your membership card, which would normally be done in-store, but if you only ever intend to use it online, you should be able to book with a membership number. I don't recall ever being asked for the membership card at pick up when we rented through them, but YMMV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter