To Infinity and Beyond - A Pixar WISH Challenge! February 2018

DH and I working together is a big help. We tend to keep each other on track. DD is being a semi big help right now though not in a nice way. She has told me yesterday and this morning that my legs are getting bigger. Ok so she is be brutally honest so I need to work more on that area.

My down falls are my kids. They are skinny. My 12 year old only weighs 58 pounds. So I try not to limit them. They like doughnuts as much as me. So every once in awhile we will stop before school doughnuts. It is really hard for me to say no.

Self-parenting is something I'm really mulling over... how do I self-parent without getting in to the critical negative self-talk space? Without having had positive examples of parenting, this is a bit of a challenge.

Gahhhh I hear you loud and clear on this one--- I didn't have a good parenting example in how to take care of my space (I dread the day I have to clean out my mother's house :scared1:) and I too struggle with the self-parenting thing. Though I never thought of it in those terms. I guess that's why I am seeing mild success with my childish chore chart... maybe I need gold stars too Haha! But seriously, it's amazing how much self-care and self-discovery you are doing right now, so I know you will figure out what works for you! :-)

WooHoo -- DD got her cast off today. They don't think it was broken because there is no new bone growth. She is still in some pain so she in a brace for a little bit. Also, Last night we walked DS to his basketball practice. It is about 1 mile each way. It was just so nice out yesterday. We hit 76 degrees yesterday and hit 43 by 9:30 this morning. I hate these changes in the weather.

Yay for the cast being off and for awesome weather!

Missed WooHoo Wednesday, but I'm a bit like Oneanne with nothing much "woohooable". I've realized I'm in the middle of a real-life plateau, probably my first one ever in the scores of times I've lost weight. I've been gaining and losing the same 3 pounds since January 8.

I've tried changing up the exercise (more interval exertion), I've been eating 300-400 calories less per day (about 1,700-1,800/day, with me burning 3,000/day), and I have stopped the evening snacking (realizing that just because I have calories left, I don't need to eat them). I continue to drink about 100 oz of water daily. Monday I was back down to 241, but this morning I was back up to 244.

To say it's frustrating is an understatement.

Oh no! That is suuuuuper frustrating for sure! Have you tried mixing up your protein sources? That idea was tossed around in one of my WW meetings for plateaus.... I don't know if it's anecdotal or something rooted in any sort of science though. Our bodies are so weird and vary so much-- you really have to play and find what works for you. And you've been doing so well at that, so I know you will kick this plateau in the behind and keep on killin' it!

Oh no! That is suuuuuper frustrating for sure! Have you tried mixing up your protein sources? That idea was tossed around in one of my WW meetings for plateaus.... I don't know if it's anecdotal or something rooted in any sort of science though. Our bodies are so weird and vary so much-- you really have to play and find what works for you. And you've been doing so well at that, so I know you will kick this plateau in the behind and keep on killin' it!

Thanks. I do tend to be a creature of habit -- same stuff for breakfast and lunch every day. I've tried mixing up low calorie day followed by high calorie day (it was something I'd learned at WW as well). And I've worked to reduce the amount of fruit I was taking in, but I haven't played with protein.

I'm in meetings on Sunday/Monday, then leave on Tuesday for a meeting in Orlando (until the following Sunday). I'm still hoping for some kind of loss when I weigh tomorrow to help me leave town on a happier note. I've looked at the hotel restaurants' menus (there's probably 5-6 restaurants on site) already and plan to pay the one-time $20 spa fee to use the fitness center at the hotel throughout the stay.

QOTD... living on my own and having total control over the food that comes in to the house is both a positive and a negative, as I don't have to plan for or accommodate anyone else's food needs. This means I can, say, do a juice cleanse any time I'd like to or have ice cream for dinner. And I do both. It's kind of the same when eating at WDW... it's great/healthful because there are so many good choices, but also easy to go off the rails because there are so many good choices.

The nutritional life coach I discovered last month had another article on the knitting blog. Her theme this time was "Self-care: Permission to eat, granted", and she talked about realizing she's an adult woman who is allowed to eat anything she wants, even if it involves cookies. She does call out "the importance of knowing that a desire for companionship or entertainment can masquerade as a desire for food", and this is something I need to work on as I know I'm an emotional eater. The article got me to thinking about how the diet industry has us hoodwinked in to thinking food is bad and we are bad for eating it. Dang it, I'm not a bad person because I get my breakfast at Starbucks, I'm just a person who chooses to eat breakfast at Starbucks - but I do need to accommodate for the high caloric intake. I think that going forward as I finish each meal I'm going to tell myself "Congratulations, you just ate!"

So we got snow last night... quite a surprise as it was not predicted in the weather forecast until this weekend. I didn't even realize it was snowing until my Sister posted a picture on FB: I pulled up the living room blinds and there was already about an inch accumulation. This morning it was maybe two inches but the main road was clear so it was the perfect kind of snow... so pretty but not life altering.

I'm starting to think about what to do over the weekend, knowing more snow is on its way... I think it will involve a lot of staying indoors and close to home, aka knitting. I did my Thursday evening chores last night and will do more tonight so the weekend will be free and open for funner things.

Taken at the bus stop this morning... oh, and the sun was up by the time we got to town, which was about 20 minutes. Hurrah!

upload_2018-2-22_8-11-34.png

Last edited:

Thursday, February 22

d819233006c2475e1e9c7de8bb5622e9--finding-nemo-quotes-dory-finding-nemo.jpg

Let's talk about positive and negative influences in your environment today.

There is an old saying "Change Your Space, Change Your Mind".
Having a healthy environment means makes it easier to make the changes to support your new habits.

What about your environment makes it easy to stay the course
(a friend who likes to exercise, a fridge full of healthy snacks, etc)?

What about your environment makes it difficult to stay the course
(doughnuts in the break room, a husband who loves cookies *raising my hand* Haha!, etc)?

Easy - research that gives me options I am happy with around work if I fail to bring lunch. this forum. I buy magazines with recipes like weight watchers. I don't do ww but they offer recipes that are suitable for family and within my calories. Having Les Mills subscription, having some minimal equipment home, being member of top end gym chain with many classes, pools, spa/.

Part two - there is so much that makes it hard isnt it. You cant change many things so I am trying to develop resilience and put what I want long term ahead of trigger by environment, but it isn't always easy.

Friday, February 23

For the last bit of February, we are going to turn inward to the Inside Out universe.

tumblr_ov79hc2MGM1vwe0iho1_400.gif
tumblr_ov79hc2MGM1vwe0iho2_400.gif

As we've kind of talked about before, getting motivated to get moving isn't always easy.
Especially this time of year when it's so cold out for many of you!

But small changes can make even the biggest difference.
Getting moving doesn't have to mean a gut busting work out at the gym.
There are sneaky ways to get in exercise too.
Parking far away from the store, gardening, yard work, cleaning, etc.

What's your favorite sneaky exercise? In what ways can you add in more sneaky exercise?

QOTD: What's your favorite sneaky exercise? In what ways can you add in more sneaky exercise?

I march in place if I'm short on my 10,000 step goal for the day. I make Alexa play 80's music while I cook dinner and dance while I'm preparing. I'm not sure it's sneaky, because it's planned, but I save $55/month by walking to and from the train station and work every day (1.3 miles each way, in Chicago. In the winter.)

Looking forward to others' ideas for me to add in additional exercise!

QOTD: Walking is my go-to exercise. When I'm diligently trying to get in my 10,000 steps, I walk in circles at the bus stop in the morning, do laps around the office and walk the long way to the ladies room, and I also get off the bus a stop early in the morning and get off the bus about 8 blocks before my normal stop on the way home.

Yippee it's Friday! We're due for more snow this afternoon, hopefully it won't cause problems for the commute home. I'm looking forward to a weekend of just putzing around the house, well, actually every weekend is pretty much just putzing around the house but some how it seems kind of special if there's snow on the ground outside. The book I ordered arrived yesterday, so some reading will happen, along with the putzing.

What works in my environment? Well, not having kids around all the time is wonderful! I'm not buying food for their hollow legs! Unfortunately, DH is a choco-holic and there is always chocolate around. Plus since we're back to a twosome he frequently goes with me to the markets. Not good. He buys chocolate! I eat it. ugh But I do log it and that usually stops me from keeping on eating it. Plus, I like Oneanne's blog poster who said she's not bad because she ate something. I'm just trying to be healthier, not perfect!

Sneaky exercise: hmmm This is more of a balance thing but I often stand on one foot. We do it frequently in my morning class. We call it "listing." You barely lift your other foot off the floor. It's harder than it sounds. When I'm waiting for the water for the shower to warm (I swear it goes around the block before it makes it to the bathroom!) I do a forward bend. That's a nice little stretch. And when I have to do laps in the house to get my steps I put a chair in one room at the "end" of a lap so I go around it and don't have to stop. Otherwise I'm not very sneaky. I walk to work, but it's only 6 minutes so no biggie.

I'm just starting to get a bug. I'm hoping being a complete sloth this weekend will be enough. I plan to sleep, and sleep, and sleep!

AHA moment this morning. I was looking for a why (re how I eat & exercise) and what is different for best part of 1 year and I know what is it now.
I embraced the change in how I eat and leaving diet mentality behind 2016 but lost it little last year, mainly due to over training in the gym, building up crazy hunger and messing it all up. I never embraced the change in how I exercise, and more balance - not on and off plans.

Feel supper ... content that I know what i need to do.

Last edited:
Saturday, February 24

images

Obviously, with the inside out crew, we have to talk about emotional eating.

Are you an emotional eater? What sorts of things trigger that in you?
Stress, sadness, or even happy celebration eating?
Where do you think this habit came from?

What about healthy eating habits-- do they have any emotional triggers there too?

Weekend Bonus Fun!

If you could visit any Pixar universe, which would it be and why?

Off to WW and to the gym, but I will be back on to chat later today or tomorrow! :-)

Non-scale victory!

I have meetings and a big conference to go to next week (speaking at 5 different sessions). So I decided to stop using binder clips to keep my pants on and get some new clothes. In September 2017 I was wearing 3-4X and size 26. I'm down 65 pounds.

Today, after getting my hair cut and colored, I went shopping. I didn't just find clothes, I found them in 1X and size 18 pants. I tried a pair of capris and an awesome shirt that actually showed my COLLARBONES! I haven't seen collarbones in years.

Confession that I just started to weep there in the fitting room.

Last edited:
I tend to eat when I am bored. There are a few times that I will eat when I am stressed but that is usually when I am really stressed and worked up about something.

Non-scale victory!

I have meetings and a big conference to go to next week (speaking at 5 different sessions). So I decided to stop using binder clips to keep my pants on and get some new clothes. In September 2018 I was wearing 3-4X and size 26. I'm down 65 pounds.

Today, after getting my hair cut and colored, I went shopping. I didn't just find clothes, I found them in 1X and size 18 pants. I tried a pair of capris and an awesome shirt that actually showed my COLLARBONES! I haven't seen collarbones in years.

Confession that I just started to weep there in the fitting room.

:cool1::banana::cool1:

Monday, February 26

tumblr_oms8fqI7oT1st0dt8o1_400.gif
tumblr_oms8fqI7oT1st0dt8o2_400.gif

tumblr_oms8fqI7oT1st0dt8o3_400.gif
tumblr_oms8fqI7oT1st0dt8o4_400.gif

Sometimes we get in a rut and feel like Sadness from time to time...
Especially if the scale is plateauing, an abundance of stress in your life, or any other thing that puts you in a "blah" mood.

We can use self-care to pick us up, but it's always nice to have a support systems outside of yourself-- someone like Joy to keep you positive and heading forward!

So, who do you rely on? What type of support do they typically give you?
Can you think of other support systems available to help you?

I make Alexa play 80's music while I cook dinner and dance while I'm preparing.

Yes! I love doing this -- also when I clean up! Mopping becomes infinitely more fun when it's done to a great beat Haha!

Unfortunately, DH is a choco-holic and there is always chocolate around.

Saaaaaame here! His vice is Dove dark chocolate... and usually I can resist, but sometimes a piece or two sneaks into my popcorn!

I'm just trying to be healthier, not perfect!

I love this! Absolutely correct and a great way to keep everything in perspective :-)

Question catch up---

Sneaky exercise: I like to crank up the music when I clean-- adding in dancing and singing makes it more fun for sure. I also take the stairs more often than I used to. We live on the 4th floor of our building, so I'm not going to pretend like I am inspired enough to do it all the time, but I do from time to time.

Emotional eating: I realized sometime in last two years, that I'm not a stress eater-- I'm a happy eater. Man, I will celebrate any and everything with sweets and wine! And while I am getting better at turning away sweets I don't love, having cocktails and enjoying sweets I do love is still something I struggle with... It's not that it's bad, I'm just not good at keeping the rest of the day or week in balance.

Support systems: My SIL is actually a great resource. She lives a very healthy life style and is always excited to talk about the gym and healthy foods with me. An obvious answer would also be WW--- and if I am honest, I am not always in love with the meetings, but it sure is inspiring to see other's losses and also hearing about new foods to try and ways to shift your mindset to accomplish my goals. And then this group is always awesome. So many little things that have been said here stick in my head and pop up when I need to hear something to keep me on track. This really is an amazing little corner of the internet :-)

------------------------

This weekend was a major leap forward in terms of letting my space reflect the clearing of my mind and body that I have been working on. We repainted the whole house, bought new furniture for our room, and started redecorating our guest bathroom as well. There are 3 huge boxes in my car to be dropped at Goodwill today and 3 pieces of furniture I need to get out of the house as well.

It's funny too because NONE of this was intentional, and from the lemons in life sometimes we make some good lemonade! We had a big leak in our condo in December. It ruined a lot of drywall, but thankfully, it was a pipe that the association was responsible for so at least we were not financially responsible for all the drywall that had to be replaced. One of the walls that was replaced was in our guest bath which was faux finished and there was no way to touch it up, so we decided to just repaint the bathroom and update the vanity....which led to painting the living area... which led to painting the bedroom... which led to going to get new furniture... and it just was a big snowball effect! We have been talking about doing all of this for months (and the bedroom redecorating has been on the to do list for 2 years now!), but them finishing the drywall repair in the condo last week just really put us in gear! So in a crazy way, that leak wasn't so bad after all!

As for my weight loss-- wellllllll I was up a few lbs this week. Absolutely no surprise there. Something derailed last week, and I am not 100% sure what cued it. I will say, I did not want to go to WW and face the music Saturday, but I did... and I am glad I did because another thing the meetings do for me is get me ready to have a better week when things go south. So, I am going to have a better week this week!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter