To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Congrats!!!!! Next stop Boston!!!

:banana:

(Side note: I tried to make an appt with sports medicine but didn't get the doc I wanted and started doing 2-3 mile outdoor runs while waiting for the new referral and been feeling good though slow)

90 Days to Go (Glorious!)

Date - Day - Scheduled Workouts (Intervals within desired pace)

3/12/18 - M - OFF
3/13/18 - T - MCR Stage 1B + 3 miles @ EA (9:11 min/mile) + FTP Builder W1D1
3/14/18 - W - 3 miles @ EA (9:11 min/mile)
3/15/18 - R - MCR Stage 1B + 3 miles @ EA (9:11 min/mile) + FTP Builder W1D2
3/16/18 - F - 4 miles @ EB (8:33 min/mile)
3/17/18 - Sat - 3 miles @ EA (9:11 min/mile) + FTP Builder W1D3
3/18/18 - Sun - 4 miles @ EB (8:33 min/mile) + FTP Builder W1D4

Running duration = 3:02 hours
Running mileage = 20.3 miles
Indoor Virtual Biking duration = 3:40 hours
Indoor Virtual Biking mileage = 69.5 miles
Total (training) duration = 6:42 hours
Total (training) mileage = 89.5 miles
Number of running SOS intervals within pace = x/x

Monday

Long awaited date with the sports doctor. Felt confident he was going to give me the all clear on a healed low grade fibula stress fracture. My feelings were confirmed. After not being able to run pain free since January 7th, it was a relief to think this period in my training was finally going to be behind me. But the true test would be the first run back. But not until Tuesday...

Tuesday

Bright and early Tuesday morning was time to start the new training routine. Tuesdays/Thursdays would be core + run + bike. Wednesdays/Fridays would be run. Saturday/Sundays would be run + bike. I decided to bump up the McMillan Core Routine to Stage 1B.

Front Plank - 3 x 20 sec w/ 20 sec rest
Side Plank - 3 x 20 sec w/ 20 sec rest
Leg Lowering - 15 reps
Metronome - 10 reps
Sit-up with a Twist - 15 reps
Jane Fonda - 15 reps
I Run Fast - 1 set both legs

I was pleasantly surprised that I could do the front, side, leg lowering, and metronomes without adjustments. Not easy, but successful. But my goodness, after all that the sit-ups with a twist were torture. Now McMillan wants you to go SUPER slow on these (3 minutes in total, so like 6 seconds per individual sit-up (one rep is both directions thus it ends up being 30 total sit-ups). Oh the burn! I only got to 12 in the timeframe before I had to tap out. Then finished strong with the Jane Fondas and I Run Fast leg exercise. But this was only Part 1 of 3 for the day...

The real test was the run after I got home from work. I setup all the bike stuff in the basement so that I could run into the house, head downstairs and make a seamless transition from one discipline to the next. It was in the 30s, so I needed to be mindful to dress warm enough. Probably ended up over compensating and dressing too warm. I made the decision that on double run + bike days I would do the flat running route. So I got my Triumph 3 Iso on and headed out the door. Those first few steps were GLORIOUS! No pain. Nothing. Not a hint. I WAS REALLY SORE. But I didn't care. I was running again and wasn't in pain! Big big smile on my face throughout this entire run. Ended up doing 3.08 miles in 28:49 (9:20 min/mile) with HR of 138. Everything about this run felt like EA. So my #math was pretty spot on with my guess at new current fitness on my return to running. But it didn't end there. That was only Part 2...

I was also starting my new biking training plan - Zwift 6 week Beginner FTP Builder. I chose this training plan because I hoped it would simulate Daniels 10k training. R pacing, LT pacing, and some Tempo pacing. Not the same, but similar. Hopefully building up these systems in biking would provide some benefits as I get back into run training in 6 weeks. Here's my setup:

IMG_1494.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG

Locked the front wheel stable in the handlebars of the cabinet.

So the plan started off with W1D1 which is Foundation work:

Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 4.40.01 PM.png

10 min WU + 5 x 4 min @ 73% FTP w/ 2 min RI @ 52% FTP + 10 min CD

I was having a lot of problems with bluetooth dropout at the beginning of this ride. Which would lead to 0 cadence and 0 watts. Annoying. I tried disconnecting the HR monitor (remember 3 bluetooth might be too much?). Some improvement, but not a ton. I turned off the fan, and suddenly the drop-outs reduced. So I added the HR monitor back into it, and no issues. The dropouts still occurred, but not nearly as bad anymore.

For the 5 intervals of 4 min, I was around 68% FTP with a cadence of 70-80 rpm and HR of 106-108. In total, 14 miles in 50:30 minutes.

And done! In total, about 1 hr 20 min between the run then bike. A solid workout and reintroduction to training.

I decided because of the stress fracture to change up my post-workout smoothie slightly. It is now:

-5 ice cubes
-8 oz 1% milk
-4 oz water
-2 bananas
-1 scoop Promix Protein Powder
-1 scoop PBFit Peanut Butter Powder

Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 5.17.58 PM.png

I did this to boost my calcium intake for the day.

Wednesday

Still feeling pretty sore. I was a little slow throughout the day, but I knew I only had a light run in the evening. Dressed more appropriately. Since it was a run only day, that meant the reintroduction of hills to the running route. This run didn't feel as good. I was wearing my Zealot Isos. I could feel a slight discomfort in the area of concern. Not necessarily a pain, but a feeling similar to back in December. A little frustrated. Was I still injured? Did I push too hard on Tuesday? Was 3 miles on back to back running days too much? So many thoughts running through my head. Ended up finishing the run in 28:26 and 3.08 miles (9:14 min/mile) and HR of 130.

Got home and stretched and the leg was noticeable.

Thursday

Bright and early Thursday morning was time to do the McMillan Core Routine Stage 1B again.

Front Plank - 3 x 20 sec w/ 20 sec rest
Side Plank - 3 x 20 sec w/ 20 sec rest
Leg Lowering - 15 reps
Metronome - 10 reps
Sit-up with a Twist - 15 reps
Jane Fonda - 15 reps
I Run Fast - 1 set both legs

I was able to make it through 13 reps of sit-ups with a twist (beating 12 from Tuesday) and all other routines were completed in full.

All day my leg was saying hello. I wasn't in pain, but it just felt off. I really struggled with deciding whether I should run + bike again on Thursday. Was it going to be too much? I decided to give it a go and really listen to my body about it during the run. If it was an issue, then I'd stop and adjust. Thankfully, other than feeling sore, I had no issues during the run! So I finished out my flat route run in 28:19 (9:16 min/mile) and 3.05 miles with HR of 143.

I ran into the house and jumped on the bike. Time for FTP W1D2 - Strength.

Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 4.40.12 PM.png

18 min WU + 2 x (5 x 10 sec @ 160% FTP w/ 110 sec RI) + 10 min CD

Feeling ready to attack this workout. The 160% FTP I would liken to Daniels R pacing (or mile run pace). They are neurological in basis (like R pace). I wasn't sure what to expect. This was a learning experiment for sure. I overshot the 160%, but I was feeling it and was liking opening the legs up finally. So I let it happen...

My average %FTP for those intervals was 182%, 204%, 219%, 235%, 293%, 215%, 204%, 168%, 224%, and 232%. My peak output was 401% (1200 watts). During this workout, a person on Zwift commented that they should set their weight super low so they could be fast too. I've got no idea if this was directed at me (haven't figured out Zwift yet completely). But to the best of my ability everything is setup appropriately. My HR got up to 144 during the sprint intervals. I actually had a single drip of sweat. This was a lot of fun and the legs felt really good during it. In total, 16.08 miles in 59:07 minutes. Just under 1.5 hours for the total of the workout.

Friday

Still super sore. My legs are still trying to adapt to the training. Just trying to be patient and continue to listen to the signals of whether adjustments are necessary. Today was the first time I was going to try and pick up the pace to EB (8:33 min/mile). Also, since it was a solo run day, the hills were back. In all, it was 4 miles in 35:11 (8:45 min/mile) and HR of 142. I could tell my legs were not in the position to try and take this any faster. It was a good EB pace, but not quite 8:33. I was too sore. I came back in the house to stretch. And then it finally occurred to me. I was missing one of my key staples to my stretching routine. I usually stretch my hamstrings by going to one knee and extending the other leg outwards and then slowly leaning downs. Ahhh, there it was. It definitely helped with the soreness and I was hopeful this would help with the coming days.

Saturday

I woke up feeling not as sore. Probably some that my body is finally adapting to the routine, but partially also because of the stretch I had been missing. Time for another double day. This was going to be endurance based. I went and got a haircut, and then come 10am a frown on my face. At 10am, the Madison Shamrock Shuffle 10k gun went off. It was my first DNS (Did not start) in my running career. The conversation had occurred on Friday with Steph whether I would run the 10k. But I decided it was in my best interest to DNS because I couldn't trust myself out on the race course. It's still too early in my comeback to push completing the race. I know I'm too much of a Type A and would struggle with holding back. So I decided not showing up would be the only way I could guarantee I wouldn't run too fast for my current conditioning.

I ran 3 miles in 27:18 (9:04 min/mile) with a 135 HR. Still somewhat sore, but definitely feeling better. Hamstrings were still tight.

Then, I ran into the house and got the bike ride going. W1D3 another Foundation workout:

Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 4.40.22 PM.png

10 min WU + 5 x 5 min @ 73% FTP w/ 2 min RI @ 52% FTP + 5 min CD

I started to notice a trend. I don't suffer as many dropouts during the 73% FTP work, but it still occurs during the WU/CD/RI. The issue is the cadence. I had too low of a cadence during the easy stuff that was causing/ or contributing to the drop-outs. Once I kept my cadence in the 90-100 area, I wasn't having nearly as many issues. The intervals were very close to desired range at 69-71% FTP. Cadence was 90s and HR was 113-115 beats per min. In total, 16.22 miles in 50:22 minutes. Solid workout!

Sunday

Time for the pinnacle of week 1. A combo of a 4 mile EB run + a Tempo bike ride.

The 4 mile run felt good. I'm finally starting to feel normal again. Not feeling fast, but not as sore when running. I can definitely feel the changes. Combo day, so I took the flat route again. 4 miles in 34:37 (8:32 min/mile) and HR of 144. Then it was a sprint into the house, change from winter running gear into indoor biking gear.

Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 4.40.30 PM.png

10 min WU + 3 x 4 min @ 88% FTP w/ 2 min RI + 3 x 6 min @ 89-86% FTP w/ 3 min RI + 10 min @ 73% FTP + 5 min CD

I was excited to have some sustained pacing that was intended on being slightly more difficult. I loaded up Zwift and everyone looked exactly the same. No names. The game was definitely having some difficulty. It was glitchy too. There were times when the screen froze but I decided to keep riding. So the interval data got all screwy. The intervals were appropriately timed, but the total time wasn't being captured and the things happening during the glitch weren't either. So, the game was a little off.

In all, I pretty much nailed this workout perfectly. My %FTP average was 87% for the intervals, cadence was 92-96 and HR was 115 for all the intervals. Didn't even break a sweat. In total, 23.1 miles in 1:07 (stats say 1:00, but the glitch removed some total time). Felt strong throughout.

Excited to nail the first week of comeback training. It felt GLORIOUS!

Congrats, Billy! Glad you had such a great first week back and that you’re paying close attention to routine and comfort. Fingers crossed that it only gets better from here!

Great first week back. Your bike set up looks good too and that's exciting you are going to keep up with the biking. I'm curious to see how that goes for you as you get back to running.

Congrats, Billy! Glad you had such a great first week back and that you’re paying close attention to routine and comfort. Fingers crossed that it only gets better from here!

Thanks! So far so good.

Great first week back. Your bike set up looks good too and that's exciting you are going to keep up with the biking. I'm curious to see how that goes for you as you get back to running.

Thanks! I'm interested in the biking benefits as well during this period in my training. I can tell my quads and hamstrings are getting a good workout. Time will tell how those benefits translate.

Another weekend, and more plans have wrapped up.

Plan #173
Name: @SarahDisney
Race/Distance: Half Marathon
Training Plan Duration (weeks): 7
Continuous or Run/Walk: Run/Walk (with some continuous)
Days per Week: 3-4
# of Hard Days (per week): 1 (one week with 2)
Peak Week Duration: 4:19:25 scheduled (4:27:17 actual)
Peak Week Mileage: 20.3 scheduled (20.34 actual)
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:12:37 (2:20:18 actual)
Peak Single Run Mileage: 10.00 miles
PR at Distance Going into it (including when it occurred): 2:31:08 (June 2017)
Expectations Going into it: I expected to hate following someone else's plan. I knew that the plans Billy makes are based on a lot of research, but I'm not a numbers-based runner, and I was a little nervous about how the new approach would work. I did try to go in with an open mind, but I really wasn't expecting to enjoy the training that much.
How closely were you able to follow the plan as written: Mostly - had to reschedule a few runs, and wasn't always strictly on pace (but was usually close)
Testimonial: I have always been a very "independent" runner, so the idea of asking someone else for help with a plan is not something that appealed to me. But when I found myself struggling to make a short-term plan between two halfs, I decided to ask Billy for help. While I understood the importance of easy running, I never put much emphasis on it, so transitioning to a plan that was primarily easy was definitely a little bit of a change - but it turned out to be a very welcome one, because I was no longer coming out of runs feeling completely worn out (even my tempo runs didn't wear me out as much as I expected). When I had questions about the training and why I was doing the things I was doing, Billy answered my questions and sent me some great resources to read that really helped me understand how the plan was designed and why, which really helped me find the internal balance between the plan and how I like to run (here's a tip: if you like running by effort, you can totally do that on one of Billy's plans - use the paces as a guideline for what the right effort is, but focus more on the effort if that works best for you!). Going into race day, I definitely felt prepared, even with the short plan (and a longest long run shorter than anything I had done before), and the training really paid off, as I was able to maintain a much faster pace than I had in any of my previous halfs, While I did struggle at a few points, I felt pretty strong throughout. Going in, I thought my @DopeyBadger plan would be a one-and-done ... but now I'm really looking forward to working with Billy on future plans and seeing what incredible goals he can help me achieve!

-Plan #142 was unable to run the event due to an unrelated surgery.
-Plan #155 was unable to race the event due to an injury.
-Plan #167 has not reported back on time trial 5k yet.

No races this weekend or the next.

Hi @DopeyBadger

Glad to hear you're back in the saddle, or more accurately back OUT of the saddle.

I never did a summary/testimonial after your successful marathon plan. I would be more than happy to do one, especially since it will give me an excuse to talk about my 'Glory Days'

I'm rocking along plan-less and goal-less right now. On the one hand I enjoy the freedom. On the other hand, I like the structure of a plan.

Going in, I thought my @DopeyBadger plan would be a one-and-done ...

(Quote is actually DopeyBadger quoting SarahDisney)

Thinking along the same lines as @SarahDisney , I may need to find a goal HM...

Tough March Madness weekend! Lots of upsets and unanticipated endings! I've got one really good bracket on ESPN with 49 points (currently 1,652 out of 17.3 million). Of the 73 brackets, only 1 has a final four intact (Kentucky, Villanova, Michigan, Kansas). Only 8 have a championship intact:

Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 11.21.13 AM.png

Per the Stats, the most likely Final Four is Kentucky, Villanova, Gonzaga, Duke (with Kentucky having the highest probability at 57%). The most likely championship is Kentucky v Villanova (with Nova winning).

There are 16 teams remaining. I have 14/16 in at least one Final 4 (missing Syracuse and Nevada). I have 12/16 in at least one Championship (missing Florida St, Kansas St, Syracuse, and Nevada).

As a reminder, ESPN is top 1% random drawing, CBS/Bleacher are top 10% random drawing, and Yahoo is winner of league. So still possible to win something.

Now comes winning time!

Yay, happy to see your back at it! That's quite a plan you've got there with the running, biking, & core - I'm exhausted just reading it! :thumbsup2

Thanks! Hoping it doesn't end up being too much. Hasn't been too bad yet, but it is just starting.

Hi @DopeyBadger

Glad to hear you're back in the saddle, or more accurately back OUT of the saddle.

I never did a summary/testimonial after your successful marathon plan. I would be more than happy to do one, especially since it will give me an excuse to talk about my 'Glory Days'

I'm rocking along plan-less and goal-less right now. On the one hand I enjoy the freedom. On the other hand, I like the structure of a plan.

(Quote is actually DopeyBadger quoting SarahDisney)

Thinking along the same lines as @SarahDisney , I may need to find a goal HM...

Thanks! Ready when you are if you'd like to do another plan.

Plan #84
Name: @OldSlowGoofyGuy
Race/Distance: Marathon
Training Plan Duration (weeks): 22
Continuous or Run/Walk: Continuous
Days per Week: 5
# of Hard Days (per week): 2
Peak Week Duration:
Peak Week Mileage:
Peak Single Run Duration:
Peak Single Run Mileage:
PR at Distance Going into it (including when it occurred):
Expectations Going into it:
How closely were you able to follow the plan as written:
Testimonial:

Here you go.

Tough March Madness weekend! Lots of upsets and unanticipated endings! I've got one really good bracket on ESPN with 49 points (currently 1,652 out of 17.3 million). Of the 73 brackets, only 1 has a final four intact (Kentucky, Villanova, Michigan, Kansas). Only 8 have a championship intact:

View attachment 309861

Per the Stats, the most likely Final Four is Kentucky, Villanova, Gonzaga, Duke (with Kentucky having the highest probability at 57%). The most likely championship is Kentucky v Villanova (with Nova winning).

There are 16 teams remaining. I have 14/16 in at least one Final 4 (missing Syracuse and Nevada). I have 12/16 in at least one Championship (missing Florida St, Kansas St, Syracuse, and Nevada).

As a reminder, ESPN is top 1% random drawing, CBS/Bleacher are top 10% random drawing, and Yahoo is winner of league. So still possible to win something.

Now comes winning time!

My final four had UNC, Kentucky, Purdue and Duke. Really regretting putting Purdue in over Villanova, but we will see what happens. I have my Championship game as Duke and Kentucky with Duke winning. I am currently 4th in our work contest, but I have the most teams remaining. Almost everyone picked Virginia to win it all. Fingers crossed!

My final four had UNC, Kentucky, Purdue and Duke. Really regretting putting Purdue in over Villanova, but we will see what happens. I have my Championship game as Duke and Kentucky with Duke winning. I am currently 4th in our work contest, but I have the most teams remaining. Almost everyone picked Virginia to win it all. Fingers crossed!

Depending on the number of other players, a Duke-Kentucky championship game is probably enough to win it all for you (if it happens). The only thing that would beat you is a Kentucky winner. Fingers crossed!

Amazing week and all those double workouts! WOO! I need your discipline! Haha.

I seriously love reading your testimonials. It just confirms all my feels about your plans and how you are helping me become a better runner.

Amazing week and all those double workouts! WOO! I need your discipline! Haha.

Thanks! I enjoy the training tremendously, but I also appreciate the hundreds/thousands of hours spent training when I cross that finish line.

I seriously love reading your testimonials. It just confirms all my feels about your plans and how you are helping me become a better runner.

Glad you enjoy them. I'm happy to record them because then I don't have to try and remember each one individually. It allows me to use that information as examples in future discussions. And some day, maybe I'll branch out and these will help serve as a good basis for my ideas and techniques. I'm still trying to figure out the right balance amongst all the pieces.

:D

Plan #84

Peak Week Duration: 7:50:54 scheduled (7:51:41 actual)
Peak Week Mileage: 50
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:26:23 scheduled (2:29:26 actual)
Peak Single Run Mileage: 16
PR at Distance Going into it (including when it occurred): 4:34:41 January 2016
Expectations Going into it: I'd been on the Hanson plan for a couple of years, so I knew what to expect. But since I'd been on Hanson, I didn't expect to see much improvement in my PR.
How closely were you able to follow the plan as written: Almost to the letter. In 22 weeks, I only missed about 3 runs. I hit (or was pretty close) to pace on almost every run. I had one 'red flag' long run where I finished, but couldn't maintain pace. DopeyBadger adjusted the next week to give me some rest and that put me back on schedule.
Testimonial: My finish time is the greatest testimonial: 3:59:26, a 35 minute PR, and sub 4 for the first time! This was my 11th marathon. I thought 4 hours was unobtainable for me, but DopeyBadger proved me wrong. The plan and the guidance and support he provided got me to my goal. Sometimes it was a little encouragement after a tough run; sometimes it was a probing question. Plus, it makes you accountable to check in every week. The plan was so well thought out, I believe I peaked on the morning of my race. The plan was easy to follow. It pushed me to the limit, but not over the limit. I can highly recommend a DopeyBadger plan to help you reach your goal.

:D

Plan #84

Peak Week Duration: 7:50:54 scheduled (7:51:41 actual)
Peak Week Mileage: 50
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:26:23 scheduled (2:29:26 actual)
Peak Single Run Mileage: 16
PR at Distance Going into it (including when it occurred): 4:34:41 January 2016
Expectations Going into it: I'd been on the Hanson plan for a couple of years, so I knew what to expect. But since I'd been on Hanson, I didn't expect to see much improvement in my PR.
How closely were you able to follow the plan as written:
Almost to the letter. In 22 weeks, I only missed about 3 runs. I hit (or was pretty close) to pace on almost every run. I had one 'red flag' long run where I finished, but couldn't maintain pace. DopeyBadger adjusted the next week to give me some rest and that put me back on schedule.
Testimonial: My finish time is the greatest testimonial: 3:59:26, a 35 minute PR, and sub 4 for the first time! This was my 11th marathon. I thought 4 hours was unobtainable for me, but DopeyBadger proved me wrong. The plan and the guidance and support he provided got me to my goal. Sometimes it was a little encouragement after a tough run; sometimes it was a probing question. Plus, it makes you accountable to check in every week. The plan was so well thought out, I believe I peaked on the morning of my race. The plan was easy to follow. It pushed me to the limit, but not over the limit. I can highly recommend a DopeyBadger plan to help you reach your goal.

Awesome! I’m hoping to hit close to four hours in just under six weeks. Congrats on that PR!

Phew, jumping in to follow! Seriously so amazing of you to formulate running plans for DISers! :worship:

It's my pleasure. It brings me great joy to help and it's a mutually beneficial relationship. They get a custom training plan that I hope will yield optimal results and I get experience in writing said plans.

It's my pleasure. It brings me great joy to help and it's a mutually beneficial relationship. They get a custom training plan that I hope will yield optimal results and I get experience in writing said plans.

Well in that case, perhaps I’ll hit you up in a few months for a 5k or 10k plan if I ever decide to race one. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter