To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

I feel like this autographed piece is more valuable than the Gordon autograph. I was on shoe "G" so why not!
Those are the most important ones of all. I decided my 2018 Disneyland Christmas ornament will be of those custom Disney PhotoPass ones. As I thought about various photos to use, I realized that the only choices involve photos with me and my two nephews from May. Even over a photo of me as a Jedi at the Disneyland After Dark Star Wars event.

So some time ago, I went through the process of evaluating recovery post-marathons:

How long does it take for me to recover from a marathon?

The gist of it was that when I took off running for 2 weeks (my normal post-marathon time off), it took about 7-16 days post-resume running to "feel normal", and about 29-34 days for my HRvPace relationship to return to normal. During those 2 weeks off I usually did no exercise of any type.

In January 2018, I suffered a stress fracture and was forced to take more time off.

The return to running and determining current fitness after an extended break

1/7/18-1/12/18 = First 5 days off no change
1/13/18-1/16/18 = Continued no biking off period
1/17/18-1/25/18 = Restarted running again
1/26/18-1/28/18 = First 3 days off no change (went with 3 days because I'd venture to guess the loss would start sooner)
1/29/18-2/5/18 = Continued no biking off period
2/6/18-2/7/18 = Restarted running again
2/8/18 = First day off no change (again less of a hold period)
2/9/18-2/17/18 = Continued no biking off period
2/18/18-3/12/18 = Started biking
3/13/18 = Resume Running

So in this case, I took off from running/training essentially from 1/7/18 to 3/13/18 (65 days). I did start biking on 2/18/18 (or 42 days after Dopey/23 days prior to resuming running). That biking was on a regimented schedule based on a Zwift training plan based on my FTP derived from a FTP test using the same bike trainer setup.

Once I started training again, you could see the relationship between my HR/effort of "long run" and pace.

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 9.47.05 AM.png

Other than the Day 12 timepoint it showed a nice logarithmic relationship (not the first time we've seen logarithmic relationships when it comes to the HRvPace relationship as we see that in multiple paces vs multiple HRs as well - link). A nice steady increase in pace over the course of 30 days while the effort/HR remains the same. In order to "match" the HRvPace relationship of Dopey 2018 (or pre-time off from running), I would estimate it took about 70 days (May 22nd seems to be about when I felt like I was in similar shape via HRvPace), but after 30 days it's close.

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 10.05.05 AM.png

So this time was another unique situation. I took time off from running post-Madison Mini because I felt something wasn't right. But I started biking immediately as a replacement. It was a span of 20 days without running.

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 9.57.46 AM.png

The red line represents the most recent data set. To caveat, I have extrapolated out a T+D adjusted long run pace from the HR/pace of current runs. The March 2018 return to running was in T+D of 40-70, whereas I'm dealing with 103-150 right now. But what's nice is it still shows a very similar pattern. I did add the logarithmic trend line to the March 2018 data set and it is a R^2 of 0.9945 (which is a very high fit).

So what's the point? It's another set of data to say when that time comes that you have to take time off (either voluntary or forced), that your return to running form will likely take less time than you think. I've always been of the mindset of equal time off to equal time to return. So if you take off 61 days from running, it'll take about 61 days to return to form. If you take off 20 days from running, it'll take about 20 days to return to form. Now a key point is that HRvPace is not the whole story. A big part of endurance training is the stamina to hold paces for long durations. So while the HRvPace relationship might be back in order, there's nothing to say it might take longer to reach the same level of "performance" abilities (and of course not be in pain when running would be nice too). But some nice food for thought moving forward.

13 Days to Go (Unicorns... Horses with Style!)

IMG_1685.JPG

Date - Day - Scheduled Workouts (Intervals within desired pace)

9/10/18 - M - OFF
9/11/18 - T - 5 miles @ EA (8:14) + 10 miles of indoor biking (23 min)
9/12/18 - W - 6 miles @ EA (8:14) + 36 miles of indoor biking (90 min)
9/13/18 - R - 6.2 miles @ EA (8:14)
9/14/18 - F - 7 miles @ EA (8:14)
9/15/18 - Sat - 6 miles @ EA (8:14)
9/16/18 - Sun - 1 mile WU + 2 x 1.5 mile @ T effort w/ 1 mile RI + 1 mile RI + 2 min @ I effort + 0.5 mile CD

Running duration = 5:17 hours
Running mileage = 37.2 miles
Indoor Virtual Biking duration = 1:53 hours
Indoor Virtual Biking mileage = 46 miles
Total (training) duration = 7:11 hours
Total (training) mileage = 83.2 miles
Number of running SOS intervals within pace = x/x (x%)

9/17/18 - M - OFF
9/18/18 - T - 6.5 miles @ EA (8:14)
9/19/18 - W - 2 mile WU + 5 x 1 mile @ T effort w/ 2 min RI + 1 mile CD
9/20/18 - R - 35.0 miles of indoor biking (91 min)
9/21/18 - F - 7 miles @ EA (8:14)
9/22/18 - Sat - 7 miles @ Progression (Easy to Marathon Tempo)
9/23/18 - Sun - 9 miles @ EA (8:14) + 1.5 miles @ M Tempo

Running duration = 5:29 hours
Running mileage = 39.7 miles
Indoor Virtual Biking duration = 1:30 hours
Indoor Virtual Biking mileage = 35 miles
Total (training) duration = 7:00 hours
Total (training) mileage = 74.7 miles
Number of running SOS intervals within pace = x/x (x%)

Week of 9/10-9/16

Continued to slowly ramp up the mileage. The first two days were trying to get the max running I was willing to go to, but also keep the training load high. So ended up with about 60 min and 150 min of total exercise those two days. From what I've seen with were my HR is for biking, I'm at about 66% that of running when it comes to the Stravistix training load calculation. So I've been trying to be mindful of that when adding on more running/biking and not pushing the envelope too far too soon. On Friday, I opened up the legs just a little bit. Towards the end of the run I did 1 min at T effort and 2 min at T effort. Got around a 7:15-7:20 min/mile. It was nice, but wasn't sure whether I should risk for more. So was content with this small effort.

By Sunday, I felt up for a measuring stick training run. So I decided to give a "hard effort" around what I felt like was Daniels T pace. I decided not to pay attention to mid-splits and just see what happens. The goal was just to do 1 mile at a good effort. But once I hit 1.0 miles, I said why not another 0.5 mile. So the first 1.5 miles was in 10:44 (7:09 min/mile). I took a one mile recovery interval. Assessed how I felt and was ready for another hard effort. So I aimed for another 1.5 miles, but stayed blind to the pace. Ended up with 1.5 miles in 10:46 (7:11 min/mile). So overall only a 2 second difference between the two 1.5 mile blind splits. I'm happy with how I can still run consistent blind splits even if they're slower than what I was capable of weeks earlier. Post-run I evaluated the HR data to see if it was close to LT HR. Indeed it was. Around a 157-158 average HR. So I had consistent splits, and I hit the effort via a secondary measure of training. I concluded with a CD. But then mid-CD I was like, why not an I effort. Let's just see what happens. Can by leg hold up to it? And how fast will it be? So I did 2 minutes of I effort in a 6:23 min/mile. Felt nice to run fast for a change. Definitely could feel the leg throughout this run, but it was tolerable.

Week of 9/17-9/23

Continued progressing. Originally I had scheduled a 6 mile M Tempo on Wed of this week and a 10 miler the following week. I decided to switch things up instead. I lowered the mileage for the week by replacing the Thursday run with a 90 min bike instead. Then changed the M Tempo to a 5 x 1 mile T instead. Trying to maximize gains, but not suffer any setbacks. So I'm trying to stick with about 7 hours total training and about 5.5 hours of running in total. Tuesday was fine. Wednesday was the 5x1 mile T. Decided to go blind to pace again and just let whatever happens happen. I wanted consistent splits. Got a 6:59, 6:58, 6:54, 6:59, and 6:55 without seeing anything but the actual mile split itself. Took a 2 min RI between each. Felt good throughout. The leg was definitely still noticeable, but was able to maintain a decent pace. Post-Workout HR evaluation agreed that it was indeed T pace around a HR of 158 for the splits. So again I was consistent and HR verified it was close to the effort desired.

I preplanned to ride the bike the day after. Nothing out of the ordinary. Steph and I talked more about the Peloton vs bike trainer and we're still undecided which to get. I think it'll hinge on whether Steph commits to the idea of riding the bike consistently. Because if not, the trainer is cheaper. I could always get a new trainer and she could ride the old trainer with a bike, but I'm still leery whether she'd be motivated to use it. We'll see. I also decided I'm probably going to take a break from marathons for some time. I need to make some changes in training routine and nutrition because something has gone wrong to frequently lately. So I've temporarily dropped the smoothie combo I was doing and added back in my chocolate milk. Training wise I haven't settled on anything yet. But less running, and more McMillan core and biking as a replacement. So the training load will stay high, but just other disciplines. I'd like to see a HM under 1:25 before I return to a hard marathon training cycle. And even when I return, I'll need to do less running than my old marathon plans to stay healthy for race day. So lots to think about there.

Friday was an easy day. Saturday I felt good, so I decided to push it. I wanted to try and run every mile faster than the previous (a progression). So I hit a 8:40, 8:06, 7:55, 7:47, 7:42, 7:32, and 7:36. The last mile was uphill with a GAP of 7:17. So I achieved the goal. Felt nice to push the pace again. Still feeling the leg, but maybe slightly less. Sunday was to be a nice and easy LR. Originally had it at 96 min (13 miles), so the goal was around 90 min. This was to be the longest run since returning to running. Felt nice and easy for the first 9 miles with consistent splits between 8:12-8:20. Then I decided for the last mile to do a fast finish towards M Tempo effort. Got a 7:37 on the uphill with a GAP of 7:18. Wrapped up the mile and decided, why not another 0.5 miles? So went ahead and did another 0.5 miles with a pace of 7:15 and GAP of 7:12. After 1:26 hours I was fine to stop. Not overly tired, but just didn't want to push it too far. If anything this was probably the least painful run since prior to the Madison Mini in mid-August. So hoping this is a sign of progress. Definitely not 100% healed, but better.

Happy with how the extra pacing felt. Happy with being able to continue to run. While I'm still in pain, at least it's less than before. Hoping I can manage to stay somewhat healthy coming up. Chicago is in two weeks. I'll just let whatever happens happen. I'll stay positive. I'll stay motivated. And above all else, I'll smile. After all, I'm getting to run it which was not a 100% guarantee even just a few weeks ago.

How do we contact you about making a custom Dopey Challenge Training Plan?

Sunday, January 7th – A Coach’s Review

View attachment 294392

I certainly had my own exploits whether it be my own races or my Disney vacation. But those are only two thirds of the overall experience for me at the Disney Marathon Weekend. As a hobby, I help coach other runners from all around the world. I have no professional experience, but I use my background in scientific research to help develop my own running philosophies. I’ve created many training plans to date, but this weekend was to serve as a litmus test to plenty of new philosophies. The beauty of my style of training plan is it is custom. Custom to fitness, injury history, time available to train, etc. To help illustrate that, I’ve included a snippet of information from all 27 training plans from the weekend. In addition, I had 3 additional runners who I consulted with, but never wrote an official training plan for.

Name: Anon #1
Marathon Weekend Race: Dopey Challenge
Training Plan Duration: 15 weeks
Continuous or Run/Walk: Continuous
Days per Week: 4 and 5 alternating
# of Hard Days: 2 and 3 alternating
Peak Week Duration: 7:02:02
Peak Week Mileage: 38.5 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:31:33
Peak Single Run Mileage: 14 miles
Testimonial: I was definitely skeptical about the lack of overall long distance runs leading into Dopey, but the proof of the efficacy of my plan was in the complete lack of soreness I experienced after the races. I woke up Monday morning with no stiffness in my legs!!! Not to mention, I had no intention of running any PRs this weekend, as I wanted to stop for many character photos and yet, Billy's plan actually increased my overall pace as I DID PR the 5K and ran the 10K (with the same amount of photo stops) 15 minutes faster than at last year's Wine & Dine!!!

So thank you so much!! I had a phenomenal weekend experience!

Name: @Anisum
Training Plan Duration: 16 weeks
Days per Week: 5 then 6 for remaining 8 weeks
# of Hard Days: 2 then 3
Peak Week Duration: 9:00:43
Peak Week Mileage: 38.25 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:30:34
Peak Single Run Mileage: 11 miles
Testimonial: I would say that while I had read the research regarding cumulative fatigue I got many skeptical looks from others when I explained I maxed out at 11 miles when training for the Dopey. I think evidence from my training and that of others shows that it works. Billy wrote a plan with my schedule and needs in mind and I definitely got what I wanted. I spent time in the park each day and walked at least six miles between resorts and bus time when I wasn't running. Despite that aside from a little soreness in my feet and legs immediately following the marathon I felt great. I was able to walk without looking like something ran me over the next day. More importantly for my running as a whole Billy's plan taught me how to listen to my body and rely on my feelings which lead to a more successful race experience. Where before I may have rushed to stick to a certain pace leading to a crash at the end, I was able to pull back and run at a pace that made me comfortable without worrying about time because I knew I would finish strong. I didn't hit an insurmountable wall that I felt I wouldn't be able to run through, I always felt like even if my feet hurt it was more of an annoyance that could easily be pushed through rather than a showstopper. I had an amazing weekend experience and felt great because I was well trained. Thanks so much Billy!

Name: @KSellers88
Marathon Weekend Race: Marathon
Training Plan Duration: 9 weeks
Days per Week: 6
# of Hard Days: 2
Peak Week Duration: 7:36:54
Peak Week Mileage: 48 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 1:59:06
Peak Single Run Mileage: 13 miles
Testimonial: When I started training with Billy last June, I was more than a little skeptical about only running 16 miles before my first marathon. However, with the variations of runs that my plans contained and the longer distances during the week, I felt more than prepared and finished the race strong. I foolishly asked Billy for a second marathon training plan two days after completing my first, that I would use for WDW Marathon Weekend. I'll be honest and transparent that I did not follow the second plan as well as the first time. I missed my 16 miler because I read the plan wrong and I was just burnt out from training for so long; however, all the training from June through January paid off and I finished the Disney marathon only 10 minutes slower than my first, with character stops included. The most amazing thing that happened during the Disney marathon is that I never hit the wall. Billy provided many recommendations for building mental stamina, as well as physical stamina, and the tips definitely worked well for me. Billy was fantastic throughout the entire process and I feel lucky to have him as a coach!

Name: @canglim52
Marathon Weekend Race: Goofy Challenge
Training Plan Duration: 18 weeks
# of Hard Days: 3
Peak Week Duration: 9:38:13
Peak Week Mileage: 61.75 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:35:24
Peak Single Run Mileage: 17 miles
Testimonial: I had just started running and I had no clue what I was doing. I stumbled across Billy’s blog in September of 2016 and was extremely impressed with his process and overall knowledge. I had started to plateau with my progress and I was happy to see Billy’s suggestions work out quickly! Since then he has literally answered hundreds of my questions, helped me pick out races, and has written 4 different custom training plans for me!! Each plan is customized to help you stay healthy as well maximize your training gains. Additionally, when things didn’t go as planned, Billy updated the training plan accordingly. My last plan was an 18 week block for the Goofy Challenge. His plan had me well prepared, kept me healthy, and taught me to run by feel. I ended up running the best two runs of my of my life and literally PRed every distance from 400m to Marathon!!! I had no clue I could run that well, and I’m still in shock lol. Thanks to Billy I now have a new favorite sport and I’m progressing faster than I ever imagined
cid:clip_image001.png
#BestCoachEver

Name: @michigandergirl
Training Plan Duration: 12 weeks
Days per Week: 3 then 4 then 5
Peak Week Duration: 6:48:10
Peak Week Mileage: 37 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:20:21
Testimonial: My goal for Dopey was to be able to run the 48.6 miles with relative ease and have fun doing it. Knowing I had no time goals for the races, Billy created a plan that would maintain my current fitness, while still building endurance needed for Dopey. Coming off a shin injury, he also eased me back into running 5 days a week. I ran the first 3 races around EB pace with plenty of character stops. I was feeling pretty good, but then Sunday morning my right quad and left calf were aching and doubt started creeping in before the marathon. I figured it would be like my previous marathons where I hit a wall somewhere between mile 17 & 20. I'm happy to report that this marathon was nothing like that! My muscles warmed up after about 5 miles and then I was running at LR pace in between multiple character stops, and then there I was in the second half of the race running faster than the first half! No bonking! No wall! With the exception of character stops and walking while fueling, I ran the entire 48.6 miles and I couldn't be more thrilled. I can't wait to see what happens when I run my next marathon for time, I'm very confident now that it will be a massive PR. Billy, your plans rock and I'm so appreciative for your help, and I'm happy I was able to meet you and thank you in person.

Name: @sourire
Days per Week: 4 days, then 4 and 5 alternating
Peak Week Duration: 7:45:52
Peak Week Mileage: 36 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:32:19
Peak Single Run Mileage: 12 miles
Testimonial: I was nervous about so many things going into my first marathon, but I see now that there was no reason to be. [I was told by some friends who have run marathons before, that I'd cramp, that "the wall will come crashing down", that I would not be able to tow the line if I didn't do at least one 20 miler (one person told me to do at least three 20-milers), etc. Remind me next time not to consult with these people.] I am so happy and thrilled to report that I was more than able to "tow the line" on Sunday (and to continue to walk an additional 7 miles around EPCOT that evening)! No cramps and no wall! My goal was to finish my first marathon strong, happy, smiling, and uninjured. I started the marathon off near my long run pace (was afraid to start out too quickly), slowly got closer to my marathon tempo, and kept feeling good. I walked all of the water stops, was able to run the rest of the thing, and even ran the second half about 4 minutes faster than the first half! At some point around mile 18, I looked at my Garmin and realized I had been running more hours/miles than I had ever run before, and I got very nervous all of a sudden (even felt a little nauseated), but then thought to myself: "Billy knows you are going to crush this, so why don't YOU know that you are going to crush this yet?!" I seriously pondered that one for a few miles through WWOS, and by mile 23ish, I can see via the photopass evidence, that I was beaming. I felt strong at the finish, and was in absolute disbelief that I had done it, even in staring down at the medal around my neck. Billy was extremely patient with me and all of my questions and worries through this training cycle. I've gone on for longer than a paragraph, but the point is: I followed the plan and reaped the benefits. So grateful to you, Billy, for your time, energy, and patience, and so glad to have had the chance to meet you to say thank you in person.

Name: @SheHulk
Training Plan Duration: 19 weeks
Days per Week: 4 then 5 for remaining 16 weeks
Peak Week Duration: 7:58:12
Peak Week Mileage: 39.5 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:33:31
Testimonial: I feel like I said a lot to you, Billy, and the Marathon weekend board already, but here it is again if you can stand to read it again.
I had three previous (WDW) marathon attempts, and, though I did finish, my times were way off my predicted times given my half marathon proof of time because I fell apart physically at some point after mile 15-20 each time. Not just tired but stabbing pain either in my calves or knee. I had come to the conclusion, along with my family, that my body was just not made for running marathons and I should stick to the half distance. I was reading a lot on the boards, over and over again, about people's success stories with Billy's plans. Around August I asked Billy to come up with a plan for me for this year's marathon.
I hadn't run much in the month leading up to the training cycle because I had a pretty big hunk of my left heel taken out for a melanoma scare (no melanoma). But Billy set up my plan based on my half marathon and 5k times in the previous spring. I followed the plan as closely as I could. I only missed two runs in 15 weeks and did my best to hit all the paces though sometimes I was more successful than others. Usually when I missed the pace I was too fast because I was afraid that running any run even 5 sec per mile too slow was a failure.
That last week before the marathon we had excessively frigid temperatures so I replaced three runs with stationary bike workouts instead. Probably too many skipped runs but I was not going out in that 5 times in a week right before the race, I was too afraid of being sick.
Race day went great. I didn't hit my A goal of a sub-5 hour race but that didn't ever seem attainable this cycle, to me at least anyway. Other than that, it was a huge success. An almost 35 minute PR, and I never had pain anywhere. Of course I was tired but I felt like I could actually cover the distance and feel strong the whole way. Amazing. I never thought it would be possible for me. One of the only failures I had was mental: once I saw, between mile 20 and 21, that I wasn't going to hit my sub-5, I started taking it easy a bit more. I stopped and talked to DH at mile 23, took a few more walk breaks, etc. But I don't regret anything and I had a great time.
Thank you Billy, I can't say that enough. You gave me the feeling that I am a runner who can complete a marathon, really complete it and not limp in the last 1/4.

Name: @LikelyLynae
Continuous or Run/Walk: Run/Walk
Days per Week: 6 weeks
# of Hard Days: 2 to 3 based on week
Peak Week Duration: 9:20:24
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:58:23
Testimonial: Considering I started my Dopey training late (October!) I was very excited to try the cumulative fatigue idea. I was weary about the idea of only running 12 miles as my longest run, but the fact that I had minimal muscle fatigue and didn’t feel like I even had a long run is proof that the system works. I also PRed my marathon time by 35 minutes. Train slow to run fast. Trust your training. It works.

Name: @camaker
Training Plan Duration: 17 weeks
Days per Week: 5
Peak Week Duration: 7:13:13
Peak Week Mileage: 43.5 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:33:51
Peak Single Run Mileage: 16 miles
Testimonial: Unfortunately, I don't know that I can really give an honest assessment of how well this training cycle prepared me for Dopey, simply because I was unable to run the races as planned due to illness. What I can say is that we set the plan up with two goals. First, to prepare for the Dopey Challenge by executing a marathon training plan and second, to minimize the risk of injury and get me to the starting line healthy. I can say that the second goal was an unqualified success. I suffered no significant injuries during the training cycle and I felt like I was in the best shape I've ever been in heading into the races. My plan was to run the initial races at easy pace and then attempt to PR the marathon. Going into the race weekend I was confident I would be able to achieve that, but that all went out the window as soon as the illness hit post-5k. Thanks for all your work on my plan! We'll just have to revisit this training plan testimonial when I get below 4:00 at Chicago.

Name: @garneska
Training Plan Duration: 11 weeks
Peak Week Duration: 7:12:27
Peak Week Mileage: 45 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:32:47
Testimonial: i agree with @camaker. This training cycle was simply to get through without injury and then dedicate to Chicago. Due to illness i stayed a lot slower than planned and i came out of it uninjured. i have to say i think it went pretty well. i did not feel like i hit a wall but i sort of hit the wall about mile 4 when i said to my DH i can't go any faster than i am right now. i walk him in the last 4 miles since it was his first marathon. I could have run but figured it might be the only time we actually finish together. i am not sure he will do another marathon. He will be cheering at chicago.

Name: Anon #2
Continuous or Run/Walk: Mostly Run/walk, some continuous
Days per Week: 4
# of Hard Days: 2, sometimes 3
Peak Week Duration: 6:17:13
Peak Week Mileage: 36.7 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 3:00:53
Peak Single Run Mileage: 17 miles
Testimonial: I found the training plan a little difficult to adjust to, but I had great results over the weekend. Compared to my first Dopey in 2016, all my times were faster. Finished the half in 2:05 compared to 2:14 and the marathon an incredible improvement from 5:05 to 4:24. Many fewer stops this year, but still over 40 minutes better was amazing! Had my best final 10k of a marathon ever.

Name: @TeeterTots
# of Hard Days: 2 or 3 variable
Peak Week Duration: 7:52:36
Peak Week Mileage: 39.45 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:28:24
Testimonial: I reached out to Billy having been fascinated with his story, for his expert opinion regarding an upcoming race and it turned into two training cycles. The first was to PR a HM in September and the second to survive my first marathon. I have to say, I struggled with slowing my pace during training and notoriously started off too fast, so I didn't PR my half in September, but the marathon was amazing! Like many of you, I had never ran more than 13.5 miles so I had no idea what the second half of the marathon would bring. I heard horror stories about hitting the wall but that never happened. My predicted pace/finish was 10:47/4:42:40 with hopes to just sub-5. I finished at 5:01:40 and I'm very pleased. I'm pleased because I was trained so well. I am pleased because despite the excruciating pain in my left knee from mile 14 on, I never gave up. I'm pleased because I had so much gas left in the tank and was waiting to hit those faster paces like we discussed. I mentioned to Billy that this was my one and done marathon, but guess what, it's not! It's not, because I have no doubt I will crush the next marathon and I know I can do it because of his plan!

Name: @pixarmom
Marathon Weekend Race: Goofy Challenge
Training Plan Duration: 13 weeks
Continuous or Run/Walk: Continuous (effort based plan)
Peak Week Duration: 6:56:11
Peak Week Mileage: 42.5 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:33:22
Testimonial: When I asked Billy for a training plan, my goal was to complete Goofy comfortably. I mentioned that someday in the future, I’d like to break 4:00 for the marathon and 1:50 for the half, but those were not immediate goals. I think Billy knew my “someday” goals could be real and immediate, but I didn’t believe that until Sunday at maybe mile 20. His plan resulted in a half marathon PR (1:49) last month, and a 28-minute Disney Marathon PR (3:58.) If I drop 3 minutes, 30 seconds from my marathon time, I can qualify for Boston! (Billy and my husband suggested not running a HM the day before will help!) After the marathon, I felt great - 20-min nap by the pool and then AK with my family until closing - wore my marathon shirt and my Badger jacket in appreciation! I’ve been running for a long time, but I feel like a new runner for many reasons. Even before any races, Billy’s plan was a success because it made me happier and stronger - I just feel great every day with this plan. Longest run was 16 miles, and I loved the variations in distance and pace throughout each week. Moving forward, I think I can establish a time goal and say it out loud without (or with less!) qualification. I definitely worked hard in training and during races, but it was controlled and comfortable enough that I believe I can repeat and improve. Also, the concept of “trust your training” has real meaning for me now, because I really do trust Billy’s knowledge, experience and advice. So many thanks to Billy for this incredible plan, for all the encouragement and support, and for accepting hugs from my very enthusiastic 10-year-old! And this is still hard to say out loud, but here goes: I’d like to qualify for Boston and I’m grateful that Billy agreed to help!

Name: @mrsg00fy
Peak Week Duration: 8:38:02
Peak Week Mileage: 42.5 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:34:30
Testimonial: I ran my first Marathon as part of the 2017 Dopey and was fortunate to meet up with Billy and folks who were using his plans. At that point I was scared of my first marathon and exhausted from my last few long training runs. I did finish but not in good form. I walked more than half of the full and I hurt.
It took me six months to ask Billy for help. After two training cycles using Billy's custom plans I attempted the Dopey again this year. I was still skeptical about running all four races and had every intention of walking the half. However, a prerace conversation with Billy convinced me to run the half as well and I'm so glad I did. I ran the first three races at easy paces and still shaved 8 minutes off my 5k from last year, 12 minutes off my 10k time from last year and for the half I came within a minute of my best half time over the past two years. I felt great after the half and I couldn't believe it! The real success for me though was the marathon. I took 50 minutes off last year's time. I did walk about 3 of the last six miles but was able to finish strong running the last two miles. Thank you Billy. I can't wait to see how my next half goes.

Name: @Dr Q
Days per Week: 4 running + 1 cycle + 1 swim
Peak Week Duration: 6:46:50
Peak Week Mileage: 39 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:32:16
Peak Single Run Mileage: 15 miles
Testimonial: Billy's training plan was the best training plan I've used to date. He was extremely thorough with gathering information from me from the start and took my personal goals, fitness and triathlon training into account as he prepared my plan. The plan may seem overwhelming at first, but by the time I got to the longer runs I did feel prepared and confident. When it came to race day, I was able to out perform even my own expectations with ease, confidence and nothing but a few blisters on my toes (which were my own fault!)

Name: @MissLiss279
# of Hard Days: 2 and 3 alternating
Peak Week Duration: 8:24:12
Peak Week Mileage: 45.5 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:32:43 (technically 5:16:18 since a marathon was run easily mid-plan; rare)
Testimonial: I loved my @DopeyBadger Plan! 2018 would be my third Dopey/13th Marathon, and I had pretty much used the same types of plan for each marathon - run four days a week/add a fifth day for Dopey, with a max distance run of 20 miles once or twice during the schedule. I was intrigued by Billy’s plans which had a max long run of 2.5 hours, because 20 miles takes me a LONG time. I knew with a shortened long run, I would be running more during the week. Billy asked many questions to determine a plan that would work with my schedule. My plan was for five days. When I first saw the schedule, it was a little daunting seeing a two hour run during the week, but I had told him that I had that time to run. I followed the plan and missed one run - the 2 mile shakeout run the day before the 5k. The paces that were prescribed for each run were great. During previous training, I had actually probably been running too slow for long runs. I would have one speed workout, but wouldn’t do any Tempo runs. The long Tempo runs (marathon pace) of my plan gave me confidence that I could PR the half pretty easily. The pace was faster than my half PR pace, and I was able to complete 9 miles pretty well. Besides gaining some speed during the training, I think the best thing that came from it for me was the confidence that I could run faster. I had always been afraid of going out too fast and crashing. The weather forecast for Dopey (although cold for standing around in) was actually really good for running for me. Heat really slows me down, so I like it a little on the cooler side. I was able to PR each race during Dopey! Going into the weekend I wasn’t sure if I would be able to PR the full, but I did!

Name: Anon #3
Training Plan Duration: 23 weeks and then 10 weeks
# of Hard Days: 2 or 3 alternating
Peak Week Duration: 7:44:38
Peak Week Mileage: 36 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:31:06
Testimonial: I have run two marathons before and was able to finish both but the last several miles were always terrible. I was excited to try a new way of training after hearing so many good things about Billy’s plans. Unfortunately, I broke my toe two weeks into training but Billy was great to make me a new plan as soon as I could run again. Other than missing a couple of days due to sickness-this was the first training plan I was able to finish and finish feeling good!! I was only able to run the 10k due to the winter storm and sickness. But it was the easiest 10k I have ever done!! Billy’s plan has really made me a better runner and has kept me injury free. I was able to train for the marathon without further injuring my foot. I am excited to start a new plan!

Name: Anon #4
Peak Week Duration: 8:25:20
Peak Week Mileage: 36.5 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 13 miles
Peak Single Run Mileage: 2:55:34
Testimonial: Completed the Dopey Challenge as expected.

Name:
@acefields23
Training Plan Duration: 16 weeks
Peak Week Duration: 8:34:20
Peak Week Mileage: 51.5 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:34:34
Testimonial: Let me say publicly that the training plan you provided to me was A+ top notch fantastic. As the above descriptor mentions I unfortunately got shin splints at the peak of my second to last, longest and hardest training block so that derailed actual run training significantly...

BUT, DoperB walked me through options and calmed me down by convincing me I had enough in my legs to finish upright (which was the goal) due to a large endurance background already built up (including marathons, Ironmans, etc) - basically he advised me to spend the similar time that I would have been running on non-loadbearing cardio activities, such as the elliptical and the erg rower to maintain my cardio fitness.

DISCLAIMER: I did this primarily on the rower, and it was really boring...

I spent upwards of 120 minutes on the rower and for a last long workout split time between the elliptical and rower - for every workout, six days a week, I would keep my HR in the target zone during on of those two activities until the last week before the races where I got the all clear from my physio (two treatments per week with a therapy regimen combining electronic stimulation, massage and ice and intermittent KT taping) to commence running in short spurts. For the last four weeks before the races my longest actual run was 5 miles...

But having followed my plan almost perfectly, I felt incredibly prepared to go out easy and kill the races - which is exactly what happened! No PRs to speak of but I finished every race continuously running (slowly, for me) only stopping to walk aid stations. I finished the marathon in 4:59 which was about an hour ahead of any realistic goal I had going into the weekend given my inability to get on my feet and I attribute it all to the amazing plan that the Head Badger Dope put together for me. And I had an absolute blast every. Single. Race.

Who knows what would have happened had I been able to run the last four weeks, but all-in-all I couldn't have asked for a better preparation plan or, more importantly, better experience that that plan allowed me to have.

And all this for free?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Thanks DB!

(Oh, I should also mention this was in the middle of a family reunion that saw full, busy park days Wed, Thus, Fri and Sat...)

Name: Anon #6
Days per Week: Extremely Variable
Peak Week Duration: 6:35:14
Peak Week Mileage: 34 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:15:41
Testimonial: Completed Dopey Challenge

Name: Anon #7
Days per Week: Extremely Variable
# of Hard Days: 1 or 2
Peak Week Duration: 7:20:03
Peak Week Mileage: 38 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:27:00
Testimonial: Completed Dopey Challenge.

Name: Anon #8
Training Plan Duration: 11 weeks
Peak Week Duration: 7:26:27
Peak Week Mileage: 56.2 kilometers
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:31:00
Peak Single Run Mileage: 19.3 kilometers
Testimonial: Your training plan is truly something of brilliance. You have mastered the calculations that most people just can’t figure out and have somehow figured out how to personalize your method.

I finished my race at 5:30. Slower than I hoped, but I took it slow on my own accord, trusting what you had taught me and kept your words of positivity on mind throughout the race. I had the stomach bug on Friday night, so I kept it slow, but I am more proud of myself than I have ever been. I finished with energy left and absolutely NO pain! I started very slow and kept a slow pace until about mile 12, where I picked up a bit, but not too much. I stayed comfortable and did not get swept up by the flow around me and was so pleased by how comfortable my pace was.

Although I was a bit slow, I consider this race one of my greatest successes and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your dedication and time.

Name: Anon #9
Peak Week Duration: 8:04:37
Peak Week Mileage: 34.5 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:51:31
Testimonial: thank you so much for my training plan! All 4 of the races were great, I completely surprised myself and didn't struggle in the marathon! I kept to the intervals for all 4 of the races for the majority of the time (the start of the races were pretty congested). I didn't have too much soreness either which was a shock as I thought I might struggle to carry on the in the parks but I didn't have that problem! Again thank you so much for helping, I don't know how it would have gone if I had carried on training the way that I was!

Name: Anon #10
Training Plan Duration: 18 weeks
Days per Week: 4 then 5 then 6 for last 13 weeks
# of Hard Days: 2 to 3 based on week
Peak Week Duration: 9:20:24
Peak Single Run Duration: 3:14:44
Peak Single Run Mileage: 13.1 miles
Testimonial: Runner completed the Dopey Challenge outside of a sickness which derailed the actual race day experience.

Name: Anon #11
Training Plan Duration: 9 weeks
Peak Week Duration: 7:38:54
Peak Week Mileage: 45 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:17:30
Testimonial: I loved my DopeyBadger plan for the 2018 Walt Disney World Marathon. I followed a similar plan created by Billy for a full in November 2017, and it was the most customized plan that I have ever done. I always felt that the paces he outlined were right on for my fitness level, and I didn't have any trouble completing the workouts. He customized everything from paces to training days to amount of miles I could run each week. I won't lie - the last few weeks of the plan I did not follow 100% because of the holidays and illnesses that hit me. I always completed my long runs, but I missed two or three marathon pace runs and a few shorter runs along the way. I still finished the full fairly strong and only six minutes off of my PR - it actually would have been a PR if I could figure out how to run 26.2 miles instead of 26.9 miles on a Disney course! I'm not sure I can go back to trying to figure out my own training plans or following something out of a book - I like the customization of the plans and the detailed knowledge that Billy is always ready to give whenever I have a question or concern.

Name: Anon #12
Training Plan Duration: 8 weeks
Peak Week Duration: 7:22:03
Peak Week Mileage: 41.5 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:33:46
Peak Single Run Mileage: 15 miles
Testimonial: Completed Marathon.

Name: Anon #13
Training Plan Duration: 13 weeks
Days per Week: 4
Peak Week Duration: 6:34:44
Peak Week Mileage: 34 miles
Peak Single Run Duration: 2:33:29
Peak Single Run Mileage: 13.5 miles
Testimonial: Completed Dopey Challenge.

Of the 27 plans, only one person was unable to complete the race because of elements outside their control. Only one person suffered an injury (shin splints) during the training which derailed the training experience (status unknown for finish). Of the other 25 plans, many set unexpected PRs and some did so with extra Disney character photo stops. The weekend was an unquestionable success from a coaching standpoint and I’m very proud of all of the runners and their accomplishments over the weekend.

Next Post: Tuesday, Monday, January 8th – Magic Kingdom

Happy with being able to continue to run. While I'm still in pain, at least it's less than before. Hoping I can manage to stay somewhat healthy coming up.
Glad it's getting better. I found that when my knee issues flared up during Dark Side training in January, slowing down and accepting that I would still finish, just not at the faster time I dreamed about enabled me to run relatively pain free through the rest of the training cycle and finish all 3 races just fine although I did have to abandon catching up to a pace group after a photo op because my knee cautioned me to not try and do too much.

So glad to read this update Billy!
We're pulling for you!

Thanks!

Glad it's getting better. I found that when my knee issues flared up during Dark Side training in January, slowing down and accepting that I would still finish, just not at the faster time I dreamed about enabled me to run relatively pain free through the rest of the training cycle and finish all 3 races just fine although I did have to abandon catching up to a pace group after a photo op because my knee cautioned me to not try and do too much.

Thanks! Agreed. All about finding the right path to success.

How do we contact you about making a custom Dopey Challenge Training Plan?

You can send me a PM. Although since you only have one post, you'll need to make 9 more and then you can gain the ability to send them. It's also referred to as "Start a Conversation" when you click on my name. So feel free to post nine more times in this thread to get to your magic number of 10. Then send me a PM and we'll go from there.

I am in agreement with Steph on the address sign.

Knew you would!

Love the sign and the house! Major blonde moment when I first saw the sign though, I thought "why does it say Davis? That's not their name" Reading is important, completely missed the sentence above the picture. LOL. :rotfl:

Thanks! :rotfl2:

Now that would be a true test for the neighbors as to whether they actually "know" us....

I am also in agreement with Steph! And the house looks awesome!

Thanks! Not surprising that a DISboard would be pro-Disney items.

That green is gorgeous!!!

Thanks! The developer stopped by the other day and was initially not pleased with the color. Not what he was expecting I guess. But after the stone has gone up and the white band board was in place, it's apparently tolerable now. ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!