***Tokyo Disney Resort - FAQ***

We are not experts, but we did just get back from Japan. We have a Facebook page with tons of photos and tried to include useful and relevant info with them. (https://facebook.com/bc7ate9)

We took lots of photos at the Disney Resort - including many of the menus and things like that - they may be useful for future trip planning:

Disneyland - https://m.facebook.com/bc7ate9/albums/651425498325153/

DisneySea - https://m.facebook.com/bc7ate9/albums/650433725090997/

Disney Resort (Ikspiari, Disneyland Hotel) - https://m.facebook.com/bc7ate9/albums/646012995533070/

This link should take you to all our albums - they're separated by day right now which isn't especially useful, but we're happy to try to answer any questions! - https://www.facebook.com/bc7ate9/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums
Thank you! We are planning our upcoming trip and found this so helpful!

We just got back from spending 6 nights at the Miracosta Harbor view. It was wonderful.

We found that we could use our credit card pretty much everywhere even the popcorn carts. You do need 100 Yen coins for the remote control boats in the DisneySea castle.

Hotel guests get into the parks 15 minutes area and have a roped off queuing area for this purpose at both parks. You can enter either park 15 minutes early, you pick.

At Disneyland only Buzz Lightyear was the only ride open for this 15 minutes. We got to the ride first everyday (power walking) we went. Also fastpasses are not open until the park officially opens.

At DisneySea both Midway Mania and Tower of Terror were open. Many people used their early access to queue up for Midway Mania fastpasses (by the hundreds) even though the machines didn't start working until park opening.

The Japanese know their parks, but they also follow a set pattern. At DisneySea EVERYONE goes to Midway Mania first. On our 2nd DisneySea day we we instead went to Tower of Terror first and we were the only ones there. Cast members had us wait a few minutes for a few more people then sent the first car through the ride half full.

We just got back from spending 6 nights at the Miracosta Harbor view. It was wonderful.

We found that we could use our credit card pretty much everywhere even the popcorn carts. You do need 100 Yen coins for the remote control boats in the DisneySea castle.

Hotel guests get into the parks 15 minutes area and have a roped off queuing area for this purpose at both parks. You can enter either park 15 minutes early, you pick.

At Disneyland only Buzz Lightyear was the only ride open for this 15 minutes. We got to the ride first everyday (power walking) we went. Also fastpasses are not open until the park officially opens.

At DisneySea both Midway Mania and Tower of Terror were open. Many people used their early access to queue up for Midway Mania fastpasses (by the hundreds) even though the machines didn't start working until park opening.

The Japanese know their parks, but they also follow a set pattern. At DisneySea EVERYONE goes to Midway Mania first. On our 2nd DisneySea day we we instead went to Tower of Terror first and we were the only ones there. Cast members had us wait a few minutes for a few more people then sent the first car through the ride half full.
It is really funny to me that Midway Mania is SO POPULAR there! There are so many better attractions at DisneySea!!!

Any ideas on if you can ship purchases in the parks to the front of the parks?!

All i can seem to find is shipping to home adresses??!!

Hi TDR forum.

I've been to TDR twice before but have always stayed on property thus having the ease of having my purchases delivered to my hotel, which brings me to my question... in the US parks, you can leave your purchases at the news stand at the front of the park and collect your shoppibg later, but I'm not sure if TDR offer this service. can anyone help me? please and thank you

This is awesome! We just made the decision to plan a Tokyo trip, and we'll have lots of questions!! Thanks for the info, and we'll be checking in regularly!!

Hi everyone, I just got back from my third visit to the Tokyo Disney Resort, so if you have any questions, I'll happily answer where I can. It truly is magical!

Hi everyone, I just got back from my third visit to the Tokyo Disney Resort, so if you have any questions, I'll happily answer where I can. It truly is magical!
Would love any advice as we're thinking about going next year.
Any must dos, recommendations or tips for a first timer to both TDR and Japan?

Were you staying on property...? What time was best to line up for the early 15? TIA! :D

Were you staying on property...? What time was best to line up for the early 15? TIA! :D

This time round I stayed in the city, but on my last visit we stayed at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel. It was spectacular. Literally steps from Tokyo Disneyland and it's monorail station. If budget isn't an issue, I'd seriously consider staying here. Everything about our stay was memorable and the hotel itself was immaculate.
We got in line for the 'happy 15' about 45 mins before park opening and the queue was already rather long, but long lines is very standard at TDR. In saying that, it did move rather fast and we were in straight away. In Disneyland we went straight to Monsters Inc and in DisneySea we went straight to Toy Story Mania. They only open one or two rides for the Happy 15 but it made a difference when it came to getting fast passes, etc.

I hope this helps. Shoot me any more questions if you have any.

This time round I stayed in the city, but on my last visit we stayed at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel. It was spectacular. Literally steps from Tokyo Disneyland and it's monorail station. If budget isn't an issue, I'd seriously consider staying here. Everything about our stay was memorable and the hotel itself was immaculate.
We got in line for the 'happy 15' about 45 mins before park opening and the queue was already rather long, but long lines is very standard at TDR. In saying that, it did move rather fast and we were in straight away. In Disneyland we went straight to Monsters Inc and in DisneySea we went straight to Toy Story Mania. They only open one or two rides for the Happy 15 but it made a difference when it came to getting fast passes, etc.

I hope this helps. Shoot me any more questions if you have any.

Well since you offered.... ;)

We are staying at the Miracosta for the first two nights and then DLH for the third and final night. Would you prioritize getting a fastpass for Monsters/Toy Story or just riding it right away? Pooh & Pirates will be down during our trip which is a huge bummer but it makes it easier to know where to go first thing. I'm glad you can confirm getting in the entry line that early! It seems insane on the outside but I have heard how respectful people in Tokyo are to be early and are very patient with lines so I am not surprised to hear its true.

The Miracosta Hotel is remarkable. The lobby is breathtaking, you'll love it. The blessing with staying at a Tokyo Disney property too is that you get free access on the monorail, and if you buy your park tickets at the hotel, you get a park hopper from day one (not usually available until day 3 of your visit if you're staying off site).
How disappointing re Pooh... it's my favourite. I'd try and ride the rides available during happy 15 first, then pick your must do's and get a FP for that... Journey to the Centre of the Earth is amazing and gets extremely busy so perhaps get a FP for that!?!

Generally speaking, the Japanese are very respectful and calm, but at Disney, they tend to push and run at times... it's quite surprising to see, but in lines for attractions, they are orderly... except for character meet and greets... there is no line per se and can get very frustrating, so be prepared for that.

It's my favourite resort, truth be told. You're going to have an amazing time!
The food is amazing too, with an abundance of quirky snacks. I spent the majority of my time eating all the snacks. Absolute heaven!

When do you go?

Well since you offered.... ;)

We are staying at the Miracosta for the first two nights and then DLH for the third and final night. Would you prioritize getting a fastpass for Monsters/Toy Story or just riding it right away? Pooh & Pirates will be down during our trip which is a huge bummer but it makes it easier to know where to go first thing. I'm glad you can confirm getting in the entry line that early! It seems insane on the outside but I have heard how respectful people in Tokyo are to be early and are very patient with lines so I am not surprised to hear its true.

The Miracosta Hotel is remarkable. The lobby is breathtaking, you'll love it. The blessing with staying at a Tokyo Disney property too is that you get free access on the monorail, and if you buy your park tickets at the hotel, you get a park hopper from day one (not usually available until day 3 of your visit if you're staying off site).
How disappointing re Pooh... it's my favourite. I'd try and ride the rides available during happy 15 first, then pick your must do's and get a FP for that... Journey to the Centre of the Earth is amazing and gets extremely busy so perhaps get a FP for that!?!

Generally speaking, the Japanese are very respectful and calm, but at Disney, they tend to push and run at times... it's quite surprising to see, but in lines for attractions, they are orderly... except for character meet and greets... there is no line per se and can get very frustrating, so be prepared for that.

The food is amazing too, with an abundance of quirky snacks. I spent the majority of my time eating all the snacks. Absolute heaven!

When do you go?

Last edited:
Would love any advice as we're thinking about going next year.
Any must dos, recommendations or tips for a first timer to both TDR and Japan?

Oh gosh... where do I start?
I would recommend staying on site as the perks are worth it, providing budget permits this as the hotels aren't cheap. I would spend a minimum of three days at the resort. We always split our time... 2-3 nights at the TDR and then 4 or so nights in Tokyo proper. Japan is my favourite foreign country to visit.

The food at the resort is amazing and the intricate detailing overall is the best of any Disney Resort.

Do you have any specific areas you want me to respond to in more detail? If so, fore them at me. If not, I am happy to help when ever you have a random question. It's my favourite Disney resort... I hope to return soon just so I can be a part of it once more.

What time of year are you thinking of visiting? Winter is my favourite season in Japan and Summer is far too hot and humid for me. Plan your visit avoiding school vacation times and national holidays as the resort can hit capacity very early + weekends are manic at the best of times.

If you stay on site, even if the resort hits capacity, you are still permitted to enter the parks, so that in itself is a bonus.

Like I said, I'm happy to help with any queries.

When do you go?

You know, I kind of want to get the monorail pin so I may buy day passes anyway.... at least for me, lol! If I end up buying a ton of souvenirs before we get to TDLR though I will forego it. I was surprised I couldn't just add tickets to my 'Travel Case' on the site... I guess we will have to deal with them when we get there. Hopefully it isn't a separate line and we can do it when we check in? I booked Magellan's for dinner the night we arrive from Osaka just yesterday which I am pretty excited about. Their limited time spring set looks REALLY good...! I was going to skip it since we will only be there a couple of days but figure our first night will mostly be a wash anyway since we have that long travel day. I'll want to go to bed early-ish to make sure we are raring to go the next morning! Booking anything else probably wouldn't be prudent... we are arriving on April 10th and leaving on the 13th so its just one full day per park really. On the 13th we are checking in to a room in the Akihabara area for a few more days and then fly home.

My husband isn't really a character guy and I tend to clam up so I don't think those not-lines will be a problem. I kind of want a picture with some of the random ones like Marie or Robin Hood, but not enough to fight for them.

Our schedule is:

April 1st fly out, arriving in the evening of April 2nd - get some food at the stalls in golden gai or omoide yokocho

April 2nd-April 6th: Tokyo - staying in Shinjuku area. Have tickets to the Ghibli Museum on the 5th and my husband wants to go to the Maglev museum another day also. We may try to see Fuji-san from that direction by going a little further if its a nice day - maybe even to the 5th station depending on time. Also plan to see Meiji-jo, the imperial palace, wander shibuya/shinjuku shopping and have a picnic with the cherry blossoms in Shinjuku park during these days. Ideally we can also have a drink at the Park Hyatt one evening.

April 6th-April 10th: Time in Osaka & surrounding areas
My husband wants a day in Kyoto - I'd rather go back another time and spend longer there so we will see. Definitely going to Yoshino for a day to ride the ropeway and enjoy their sakura. Also hope to see the Osaka castle and aquarium during this time but we will see. Have to get okonomiyaki and stop by a shop to get DIY food display to make at home or bring back as souvenirs for people. I think they're so cute..!

April 10th-April 13th: Tokyo Disneyland Resort! (My husband deals very well with my disney love... I got to him through his stomach. He cant wait to try the snacks and see what I have said is my favorite park, Disney Sea) I have only been here one time before with my brother in 2002 or 2003.. we spent the day at Disney Sea on a lark with no prior knowledge and then went over to Disneyland when we found out we could buy an after 6 pass. Literally the only memories I have are the mickey monorail hand holds, eating pastries at the first restaurant we found on entering DS, riding Journey to the Center of the Earth, mistaking a roller coaster for the Indy ride and being made fun of by the skipper on the Jungle Cruise. To this day I have NO idea what he said but when he gestured at us the whole boat turned to look at us in the back of it and laughed their butts off. :blush: I can't wait to go back and enjoy the resort with my best friend!

April 13th-April 16th: Tokyo - staying in the Akihabara area
During this time I hope we can see Kappabashi, Sensoji, Ueno Zoo & the Edo museum.

I am trying to stay very loose with all of this... much of it I have seen before - this will be my third trip to Japan.

You know, I kind of want to get the monorail pin so I may buy day passes anyway.... at least for me, lol! If I end up buying a ton of souvenirs before we get to TDLR though I will forego it. I was surprised I couldn't just add tickets to my 'Travel Case' on the site... I guess we will have to deal with them when we get there. Hopefully it isn't a separate line and we can do it when we check in? I booked Magellan's for dinner the night we arrive from Osaka just yesterday which I am pretty excited about. Their limited time spring set looks REALLY good...! I was going to skip it since we will only be there a couple of days but figure our first night will mostly be a wash anyway since we have that long travel day. I'll want to go to bed early-ish to make sure we are raring to go the next morning! Booking anything else probably wouldn't be prudent... we are arriving on April 10th and leaving on the 13th so its just one full day per park really. On the 13th we are checking in to a room in the Akihabara area for a few more days and then fly home.

My husband isn't really a character guy and I tend to clam up so I don't think those not-lines will be a problem. I kind of want a picture with some of the random ones like Marie or Robin Hood, but not enough to fight for them.

Our schedule is:

April 1st fly out, arriving in the evening of April 2nd - get some food at the stalls in golden gai or omoide yokocho

April 2nd-April 6th: Tokyo - staying in Shinjuku area. Have tickets to the Ghibli Museum on the 5th and my husband wants to go to the Maglev museum another day also. We may try to see Fuji-san from that direction by going a little further if its a nice day - maybe even to the 5th station depending on time. Also plan to see Meiji-jo, the imperial palace, wander shibuya/shinjuku shopping and have a picnic with the cherry blossoms in Shinjuku park during these days. Ideally we can also have a drink at the Park Hyatt one evening.

April 6th-April 10th: Time in Osaka & surrounding areas
My husband wants a day in Kyoto - I'd rather go back another time and spend longer there so we will see. Definitely going to Yoshino for a day to ride the ropeway and enjoy their sakura. Also hope to see the Osaka castle and aquarium during this time but we will see. Have to get okonomiyaki and stop by a shop to get DIY food display to make at home or bring back as souvenirs for people. I think they're so cute..!

April 10th-April 13th: Tokyo Disneyland Resort! (My husband deals very well with my disney love... I got to him through his stomach. He cant wait to try the snacks and see what I have said is my favorite park, Disney Sea) I have only been here one time before with my brother in 2002 or 2003.. we spent the day at Disney Sea on a lark with no prior knowledge and then went over to Disneyland when we found out we could buy an after 6 pass. Literally the only memories I have are the mickey monorail hand holds, eating pastries at the first restaurant we found on entering DS, riding Journey to the Center of the Earth, mistaking a roller coaster for the Indy ride and being made fun of by the skipper on the Jungle Cruise. To this day I have NO idea what he said but when he gestured at us the whole boat turned to look at us in the back of it and laughed their butts off. :blush: I can't wait to go back and enjoy the resort with my best friend!

April 13th-April 16th: Tokyo - staying in the Akihabara area
During this time I hope we can see Kappabashi, Sensoji, Ueno Zoo & the Edo museum.

I am trying to stay very loose with all of this... much of it I have seen before - this will be my third trip to Japan.

My goodness! Your entire trip sounds incredible. What I would give to be back in Japan and in the spring time. Your husband will definitely fall in love with all the delicious food at Disney and you'll love your experience at Magellan's. Not sure if you collect them, but the resort has a plethora of souvenir medallions (labelled on the guide maps) too. Just be sure to buy a folder there to put them in as the coins are slightly bigger than the pressed pennies in the US and they don't fit in the US parks display folder... I didn't realise this and didn't purchase a folder whilst I was there... rookie mistake.

I love your memories of TDR, the handles on the monorail are a fond memory for me too. Their sense of humour re Jungle Cruise makes me laugh... they are such quirky human beings :stitch:. In Osaka are you going to check out Dotonbori? there is such wonderful food there including okonomiyaki and takoyaki. Speaking of bringing home some cute little display foods, in World Bazaar (I can't remember fully) I found a pack of 4 of the resorts most famous food items in display form, they were so cute but I decided against it and now regret it immensely. I found them at (I think) Toy Station, so keep an eye out for them.

The thing I learnt re characters meet and greets is that you need to push in too, just like they do. You'll find Marie at DisneySea in American Waterfront and I believe I saw Robin hood and his clan at Disneyland at the entrance plaza, but don't quote me. eeek. My memory is failing me already.

I do hope you have an amazing time. I am extremely jealous.

Oh gosh... where do I start?
I would recommend staying on site as the perks are worth it, providing budget permits this as the hotels aren't cheap. I would spend a minimum of three days at the resort. We always split our time... 2-3 nights at the TDR and then 4 or so nights in Tokyo proper. Japan is my favourite foreign country to visit.

The food at the resort is amazing and the intricate detailing overall is the best of any Disney Resort.

Do you have any specific areas you want me to respond to in more detail? If so, fore them at me. If not, I am happy to help when ever you have a random question. It's my favourite Disney resort... I hope to return soon just so I can be a part of it once more.

What time of year are you thinking of visiting? Winter is my favourite season in Japan and Summer is far too hot and humid for me. Plan your visit avoiding school vacation times and national holidays as the resort can hit capacity very early + weekends are manic at the best of times.

If you stay on site, even if the resort hits capacity, you are still permitted to enter the parks, so that in itself is a bonus.

Like I said, I'm happy to help with any queries.
Thank you so much! I'm sure I'll have a few questions, but I'll start with a few things that are on my mind at the moment...

We're looking at going at the end of May / start of June next year, and will be covering more of Tokyo and beyond in Japan as part of a tour, but Disney we'll be sorting ourselves...
I'm looking at 4 full park days and will stay at a Disney resort, probably the Miracosta.
I understand 5 months out is when we'll be able to book the hotel online?

We can both be fussy eaters at times, so simple food is usually the way forward for us, and we might be less adventurous and go for more westernised options - how do table service reservations work? Can they be done in advance? And is there anywhere to view menus in advance?

Thanks again for your help!

Was language a barrier in anyway both in the parks and around Tokyo? My husband and I will be traveling with our two daughters who will be 12 and 9. We are kind of worried about getting lost and feeling disoriented. We once got stuck in a parking garage in France... needless to say I'm traumatized from that experience! Lol!

Thank you so much! I'm sure I'll have a few questions, but I'll start with a few things that are on my mind at the moment...

We're looking at going at the end of May / start of June next year, and will be covering more of Tokyo and beyond in Japan as part of a tour, but Disney we'll be sorting ourselves...
I'm looking at 4 full park days and will stay at a Disney resort, probably the Miracosta.
I understand 5 months out is when we'll be able to book the hotel online?

We can both be fussy eaters at times, so simple food is usually the way forward for us, and we might be less adventurous and go for more westernised options - how do table service reservations work? Can they be done in advance? And is there anywhere to view menus in advance?

Thanks again for your help!

Good morning! 4 days at the resort will be amazing!

I believe it is 6 months out that you can book your disney hotel stay, but don't quote me. I guess, 6 months out, try to see if you can book, that way you know whether it is available or not.

The Miracosta hotel is stunning, but my favourite is the TDLH, but they're equal when it comes to attention to detail and service.
When I stayed, there was no way of making advanced dining reservations (Feb 2015), but on my recent trip to the resort in Jan just gone, they had made changes so that you could make changes... the only downfall is that the reservation system is in Japanese, and despite the fact I can speak the language, I still encountered many roadblocks. You can call and book, just ask to speak to an English speaker... eigo ga hanasemasu ka?

There is plenty of western food available, but the Japanese food in the parks isn't too testing to the palate either, so don't be too intimidated. The snacks are my favourite food items. I love them.

On the website, you can go to the restaurant list and in Japanese only (google translate does a pretty good translation) you can see what's on offer. They update this when ever there is a new festival and such, so start having a play as there is an abundance of choice available, but not all of them offer advance reservations... but the list will tell you which one you can reserve in advance and such.

I hope this helps. The resort is like no other around the world and it truly is one of a kind. I'm so excited for you.

Was language a barrier in anyway both in the parks and around Tokyo? My husband and I will be traveling with our two daughters who will be 12 and 9. We are kind of worried about getting lost and feeling disoriented. We once got stuck in a parking garage in France... needless to say I'm traumatized from that experience! Lol!

Ohayo gozaimasu (good morning). Truth be told, the language barrier may be evident as not all cast members speak English, but everything is signposted in English and it's not too daunting... trust me! I speak the language (ish) so I don't have an issue but that's not to say others won't. In comparison from the French resort, the Japanese one is far better executed and I can almost promise you that you'll find your way out of the garage. Haha.

The Japanese people are so accomodating and friendly that even if they can't communicate with you in the same language, they will one way or another help you and the outcome will be a good one.

Are you concerned re being disoriented at the resort or getting to the resort from Tokyo proper? The train system is very user friendly (go to www.hyperdia.com) and the TDR is stupid organised and easy to wander. Tokyo Disneyland park is a replica of the original in Anaheim, just set on a winder scale. The paths are wider and the grounds are far more immaculate, but I'm biased. Tokyo DisneySea is like no other amusement park anywhere in the world, and I guarantee you will be blown away.

I love just wandering the resorts. There is so much to see and by wandering aimlessly, I always find something new.

How long are you intending on visiting the resort for? Are you staying on site? When are you going?

Don't be intimidated. English signs and maps are everywhere and the cast members will help you as much as they can. The resort is amazing. I'm excited for you guys. The merchandise is quirky but perfect. I wish I was going back.

Hit me up with any others questions or concerns you may have.

Happy planning :mickeyjum:stitch::smickey:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!