Tom Sawyer Island going away?!?

And that is why I didn't suggest cutting the main island. They do not even use more than a 1/4 of the second island as it is. How many people cycle through the island per hour? Maybe 200 on a good day. How many would cycle the two attractions that would replace that area? 3000 at least plus any food service and concrete space. Look at the space that is available.

View attachment 307250

Plus, that would make it so much easier to get from Fantasyland and Haunted Mansion to the 2 Headliners in Frontierland. Even throwing a couple of bridges across the Rivers of America to create a path from HM directly to BTMRR would help...and they could always build something (ride or attraction) on the unused part of the island for people to stop at on the way.

I have been to WDW more times than I can count, but never have stepped foot on TSI. It's not that I have avoided it, but when I'm in the MK I tend to only hit up BTMRR & SM when in Frontier Land. I couldn't see them adding anything to that area in regards to large attractions/rides unless they develop a bridge that can accommodate the boat. Having to ferry guests over would be an issue should there be a larger draw to go over there.

Will have to make an effort to ride over there on my next trip.

As I thought about this more, I realized that they could build a new, state-of-the-art ride on TSI. Maybe borrow a page from the success of FoP - it could be a huge theater featuring a modern VR-type attraction, where guests to TSI could put on virtual reality headsets to journey through an unexplored land filled with dark caves, abandoned forts and dangerous bridges.

I do get over to TSI every few trips - and always appreciate looking out across the water towards Liberty Square where the path is packed while I'm having a peaceful stroll under the trees. And at the same time wonder how much longer any of us will get to do that.

I haven't been over there in almost 10 years. There isn't much to do, so it never seems worth the wait for the raft over. Now if they could put something like Nomad Lounge over there I'd be there with bells on. :P

TSI has undergone many changes, and removal of features has been happening all along. As the island gets minimized, its draw of crowds lessens. Removing the full access to the fort, the tunnel escape route, and other changes have reduced what was to now simply what could have been. Without a successful reboot of the IP, the land will be re-purposed for sure at some point. How many kids are kept indoors today, and not able to dream of a riverboat ride down the Mississippi?

What??!! They took away access to Fort Langhorne and the tunnel escape route?? When did that happen???

We always go to TSI. I personally love the caves and the peacefulness of the place. I'd hate to see another overly crowded theater take that away.

We were going to go to TSI on our last trip last month to eat lunch. We wanted a nice quiet shaded place to eat. However, when we saw the large crowds waiting to board the rafts, we decided to skip it.

Those large crowds lead me to believe that its still a very popular attraction.

I have been to WDW more times than I can count, but never have stepped foot on TSI.

We always want to go and check it out - everyone we talk to and so many here say they love it.. I look over and stare from the BTMRR extended Fast Pass line.. that's it - we will go to the island this time.. for sure...... maybe.... :)

This and the speedway are huge wastes of real estate. They should cut it off at the bridge and fill in the back of the River of America. They can extend Frontierland with a bridge by BTMR. At least two attractions can fit there.

While I agree the "speedway" (we call it the slow-way) is a waste of real estate (and a major source of noise pollution that ruins the theming) I think TSI is a jewel. As is the steamboat.

And that is why I didn't suggest cutting the main island. They do not even use more than a 1/4 of the second island as it is. How many people cycle through the island per hour? Maybe 200 on a good day. How many would cycle the two attractions that would replace that area? 3000 at least plus any food service and concrete space. Look at the space that is available.

View attachment 307250

The second island is for the steamboat to go around, with some quieting foliage to block out the noise.

Surely it would be unpopular, but I think the Steamboat would be the first to go away if something new was planned for the island.
The steamboat prevents any sort of decent bridge to the island. It also one of the reasons not to bridge the canal between Grand Floridian and the MK, despite the path there.
Without it, you could put a bridge in, and utilize the space in the back island area, maintain the front island as is, then use the water in front for some type of show.

The problem with any development in the park now, requires removing older attractions that might not be loved by all, but do have some nostalgia.

I know I miss 20,000 leagues under the sea....but what is there now certainly seems popular. I like the speedway, even though the cars are horrid. No doubt something else could replace it, moving more people and being more relevant. Surely the island in Frontier land could be re-purposed.

Aside from Tron and the main street theater(RIP) project, where are they going to build without displacing something?

Surely it would be unpopular, but I think the Steamboat would be the first to go away if something new was planned for the island.
The steamboat prevents any sort of decent bridge to the island. It also one of the reasons not to bridge the canal between Grand Floridian and the MK, despite the path there.
Without it, you could put a bridge in, and utilize the space in the back island area, maintain the front island as is, then use the water in front for some type of show.

In Disneyland Paris, Big Thunder Mountain is on the island and the trains travel through a tunnel under the water to the main portion of the ride. There is still a steamboat too, so something like that could be done if they built an attraction on part of TSI. Personally, I wouldn't want to see it go, but I wouldn't mind if they added some new interactive elements to it.

In Disneyland Paris, Big Thunder Mountain is on the island and the trains travel through a tunnel under the water to the main portion of the ride. There is still a steamboat too, so something like that could be done if they built an attraction on part of TSI. Personally, I wouldn't want to see it go, but I wouldn't mind if they added some new interactive elements to it.
Honestly, what they need to do, is extend the pirates game on to the island, with one more quest.

The problem with any development in the park now, requires removing older attractions that might not be loved by all, but do have some nostalgia.

I know I miss 20,000 leagues under the sea....but what is there now certainly seems popular. I like the speedway, even though the cars are horrid. No doubt something else could replace it, moving more people and being more relevant. Surely the island in Frontier land could be re-purposed.

Aside from Tron and the main street theater(RIP) project, where are they going to build without displacing something?

There's land in spots, it just all has various compromises. To stay inside the railroad you can go behind Crystal Palace though you might need to slightly re-route Jungle Cruise. You'd have to make a path to get to it and it's pretty watery so options might be limited, but there is room, even with some backstage buildings. You could make more with some shifting of Caribbean Way back there. Obviously you probably wouldn't want to go too high because you might see it from Main Street, but probably not too much worse than Space Mountain. There is also room inside the railroad behind BOG and Enchanted Tales kind of to the side and back of Haunted Mansion all the way around to behind New Fantasy Land. That might be a pain because you might need to clean up the backs of those buildings, but it could be done almost all the way back to Floridian Way and around to World Drive, though some of that would be outside the railway.

Building in some of these areas might mess with the flow of the park if you weren't careful, but there is land. I don't know how soggy it is but I suspect no worse than the rest of what MK started with. I'm not sure you could do the whole fill it in and add to the tunnel system either without spending a massive fortune, but if Disney really wants to, MK can be expanded. Just takes money. Lots and lots of money.

Honestly, what they need to do, is extend the pirates game on to the island, with one more quest.

I could go for that, or a Fronteirland themed version of the game since those Pirates are from Adventureland. But river pirates do factor into Tom Sawyer. They added pirate themed stuff to TSI in Disneyland, but it's not really a game or anything, just some interactive props.

Has been in CM conversations that it would go as part of a Frontierland renovation, possibly adding an attraction there. It is prime real estate, underutilized as well as the often empty Steamboat. It was described as either Frontierland or Tomorrowland needed the big overhaul and an attraction by time 50th arrived. Tomorrowland won out for near future. Would not at all be surprised if what was there got a sprucing for the 50th only to be next on the chopping block.

There's land in spots, it just all has various compromises. To stay inside the railroad you can go behind Crystal Palace though you might need to slightly re-route Jungle Cruise. You'd have to make a path to get to it and it's pretty watery so options might be limited, but there is room, even with some backstage buildings. You could make more with some shifting of Caribbean Way back there. Obviously you probably wouldn't want to go too high because you might see it from Main Street, but probably not too much worse than Space Mountain. There is also room inside the railroad behind BOG and Enchanted Tales kind of to the side and back of Haunted Mansion all the way around to behind New Fantasy Land. That might be a pain because you might need to clean up the backs of those buildings, but it could be done almost all the way back to Floridian Way and around to World Drive, though some of that would be outside the railway.

Building in some of these areas might mess with the flow of the park if you weren't careful, but there is land. I don't know how soggy it is but I suspect no worse than the rest of what MK started with. I'm not sure you could do the whole fill it in and add to the tunnel system either without spending a massive fortune, but if Disney really wants to, MK can be expanded. Just takes money. Lots and lots of money.

The thing is, they can put the show buildings back there, and all they need to build is an entrance facade for the queue. Once inside, who knows where you are? Space Mountain at MK uses this exact trick to go under the railroad. The tricky part is the exit, which could become a long walk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!