Tracking Cruising Restart: News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the excursions. I cant find it now, but I read that they significantly reduced the prices of them and had deals like 3 for $100. Which, if you were to do them yourself in port would probably cost about the same, and you have the back up of the company track and trace to try and keep you and your people healthy.

About the excursions. I cant find it now, but I read that they significantly reduced the prices of them and had deals like 3 for $100. Which, if you were to do them yourself in port would probably cost about the same, and you have the back up of the company track and trace to try and keep you and your people healthy.
Wonder if they are concerned about additional costs dropping interest in cruises for the long hall. Not wanting to be labeled a drain on the wallet.

Looks like the first cruise is complete with the only drama transpiring with that denied excursion boarding. Although it seems highly unlikely to me, the cruise line is aiming to restart in the Caribbeans by November this year!

Check out the video below:

Has any one read how they handled their muster drill? I didn't see anything in that safety protocol link.

DCL - only shore excursions would be a deal breaker for me, and not even because of price. I hate being herded around like cattle, having to wait for the group, not being able to choose how long to spend in one spot, etc. (One might ask why cruise at all if that's the case, but you actually are pretty free to choose what to do onboard the ship apart from the set meal times). I'm perfectly capable of renting a jeep and driving myself to the Yukon or touring a museum or historical site by myself, and I find large group tours infantilizing and tedious.

DCL - only shore excursions would be a deal breaker for me, and not even because of price. I hate being herded around like cattle, having to wait for the group, not being able to choose how long to spend in one spot, etc. (One might ask why cruise at all if that's the case, but you actually are pretty free to choose what to do onboard the ship apart from the set meal times). I'm perfectly capable of renting a jeep and driving myself to the Yukon or touring a museum or historical site by myself, and I find large group tours infantilizing and tedious.
We feel pretty much the same way, but still always do DCL excursions because we don't want to risk being late to the ship. We just learned to be a bit more selective about excursions and try to avoid the ones that are "follow the tour guide" and instead choose the ones that are basically just transportation to and from a location but give you freedom to do your own thing once you get there.

I guess I would need to see what excursions are offered under the "new normal" but we always have the option to just stick to bahamas/caribbean cruises so we can chill on beaches until things get back to normal

I hope the MSC cruises do well so we can prove to the world that cruising is no more dangerous than being on land. Even if some MSC catch Covid which so far has not happened, it would be no more than those who caught Covid on land. For some reason if you catch Covid at sea it’s scrutinized beyond belief not when millions catch it on land it’s just a stat on the nightly news. Congrats MSC for being a can do instead of a hide in the basement type.

It looks like Costa has completed its first cruise without any drama. Some interesting points to note:

1. If passengers test positive, they receive a refund, but what happens to them depends on the shoreside authorities. If they are symptomatic, they are directed to a hospital. If they are asymptomatic, they can be set into a shoreside facility. The cruise line has "contracted with a number of structures throughout Italy to manage these situations."

2. Guests want more time for souvenir shopping in managed excursions. The cruise ship is exploring asking the shops to set aside exclusive hours for cruise guests only.

3. No guest services desk. Everything is either over the phone or through the app.

4. Just 25% occupancy on the first cruise - though it was Italians only.

5. Longer 10- to 14-day itineraries coming in the next couple of months.

Full account here.

OK, so the first Caribbean cruise coming up on Nov 7.

SeaDream Yacht Club, admittedly a niche 100-guest offering, will sail out of Barbados starting November 2020. Quite a few differences from the other restarts:

1. The ship will cruise out of Barbados on 7-day itineraries. US guests welcome.

2. One PCR test needed within 48 to 72 hours before boarding. A possible second test at the airport. Then, they have the Abbott's test set up for the day of boarding. So, up to three tests!

3. No marks required on board.

4. They are looking to use some of Apple's tech for contact tracing. Might mean using Apple watches.

5. And this one is the opinion of its CEO, Atle Brynestad:

"Come November, I believe there's going to be a big change from the CDC for the US ports," Brynestad opined.

More reading:
https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/shi...eam-i-begin-season-barbados-round-trips-nov-7

OK, so the first Caribbean cruise coming up on Nov 7.

SeaDream Yacht Club, admittedly a niche 100-guest offering, will sail out of Barbados starting November 2020. Quite a few differences from the other restarts: ......................

NO Verandas (?) = Will Not Cruise

Maybe third time is the charm? Hawaii is targeting Oct 15 for a re-opening:
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/hawaii-reopening-october-15-covid-19/index.html
This brings up something interesting.

CDC's jurisdiction with the no-sail order is at the US border and between the US states. NCL's Pride of America (PoA) sails wholly inside Hawaiian waters - that is, inside the state. If Hawaii allows PoA to sail, can CDC force a stoppage?

I haven't sailed PoA yet. Do you go through any border controls or customs on this itinerary?

Of course, NCL might not want to run afoul of the agency, but this could be where they start walking the talk.

Although this outbreak isn't on the MSC ship, TUI cruises are 50% owned by RCL. I think the outbreak represents the first litmus test of how they deal with the virus that does make its way on board.

A different tone from the TUI spokesperson:

However TUI, operating the luxury liner in conjunction with the US firm Royal Caribbean, denied that passengers were constricted in their movements. Sabine Lueke, a spokeswoman for TUI, said: “They can use the ship in the normal way. The cruise will go on as planned.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...own-greek-cruise-contract-coronavirus-maltese

Based on the proliferation of Covid on land, I’m surprised it took so long for Covid to show up on their cruises since they’ve been cruising since July and multiple cruises to Greece. I only hope that those dozen or so that caught COVID onboard are treated with the same dignity as the tens of millions currently catching it on land.

Based on the positivity rate in the U.S. and the 30+ million visiting Walmart per day, at any given time there are dozens of Covid positive people in Walmart. Where is their front page news? I don’t fault the media for doing what they’re doing because they’re a retail business and must sensationalize and try and be relevant in order to stay in business. I only hope people can see through what they’re trying to do here. Fear=Ratings.

Tens of millions catch Covid at land based businesses and we don’t bat an eye but a few catch it at sea and it’s front page news, the sky is falling time. With the screening and protocols put forward by the CLIA in place, I would still feel safer at sea than at a land based business. No, your meatball sub sandwich is not essential.

Last edited:
Based on the proliferation of Covid on land, I’m surprised it took so long for Covid to show up on their cruises since they’ve been cruising since July and multiple cruises to Greece. I only hope that those dozen or so that caught COVID onboard are treated with the same dignity as the tens of millions currently catching it on land.

Based on the positivity rate in the U.S. and the 30+ million visiting Walmart per day, at any given time there are dozens of Covid positive people in Walmart. Where is their front page news? I don’t fault the media for doing what they’re doing because they’re a retail business and must sensationalize and try and be relevant in order to stay in business. I only hope people can see through what they’re trying to do here. Fear=Ratings.

Tens of millions catch Covid at land based businesses and we don’t bat an eye but a few catch it at sea and it’s front page news, the sky is falling time. With the screening and protocols put forward by the CLIA in place, I would still feel safer at sea than at a land based business. No,

Fear = Ratings? Where is the fear in that article? Seems pretty factual as to what’s happening.

And the guy working in the sub store needs his job as much as cruise employees need theirs so in his mind it is essential. In my mind, food is more important than a vacay on a cruise ship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!