Transportation/ Arrival Times

mydisneyanytime

Mouseketeer
We are going to WDW next week and are so excited. In my party we have a wheelchair (kid) and a scooter (my friend broke her ankle). We are staying at Pop. Anytime we go to WDW we use the Minnie Vans to get to the parks because they make getting there easier with the wheelchair. This time that isn't an option. Any suggestions with those mobility devices for transportatin?

Also, we have a breakfast at 7:10 at Chef Mickey that I am thinking about canceling on our Epcot morning. Anyone know how to get there that early if we do go? Any suggestions on what to do before Epcot opens at 11 after breakfast?

The 2 kids (one in a wheelchair) and I have been numerous times. Our travel party 1 adult (scooter) and a 15 year old have not been there often so I am trying to make this as stress free for all of us as possible!!

Suggestion for transportation from Pop to MK: Disney buses, or contact Mears in advance for two taxi vans.

Suggestion for Chef Mickey's at 7 to Epcot at 11: either keep trying for an around 9 AM breakfast then bus directly to Epcot; or keep the 7 AM meal, take the monorail back to MK, bus back to Pop, stop in the room for a few minutes, then head to the Sky liner (you will still be in two separate vehicles, several minutes apart.)

We are going to WDW next week and are so excited. In my party we have a wheelchair (kid) and a scooter (my friend broke her ankle). We are staying at Pop. Anytime we go to WDW we use the Minnie Vans to get to the parks because they make getting there easier with the wheelchair. This time that isn't an option. Any suggestions with those mobility devices for transportatin?

Also, we have a breakfast at 7:10 at Chef Mickey that I am thinking about canceling on our Epcot morning. Anyone know how to get there that early if we do go? Any suggestions on what to do before Epcot opens at 11 after breakfast?

The 2 kids (one in a wheelchair) and I have been numerous times. Our travel party 1 adult (scooter) and a 15 year old have not been there often so I am trying to make this as stress free for all of us as possible!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Disney buses!

Aside from renting a 15 passenger van (and making sure that the wheelchair & ECV can be put into the van) your choices will come down to Mears (for the taxi vans, as @MonkAdrianMonk said above), Disney buses, or you could possibly find a car service that you could hire for the duration and schedule, although I can't imagine the cost of keeping a car service on standby all week... You will - staying at Pop - have some access to the Skyliner, but it obviously won't take you everywhere you want to go, and your group will be split into 2 - 1 cabin with the chair, and 1 with the ECV.

So, let's talk briefly about buses.

Right now, all Disney buses are divided into "zones" and how the driver loads them is (as always) at their discretion. Be prepared that your party - with 2 devices - may be split across 2 buses, and so make plans for where you will meet up at the other end of ride if that happens (not saying it will every time, but it could, so be prepared; I don't want to set an unrealistic expectation).

You don't say what kind of wheelchair the child uses; if it is a standard, folding chair, you may be able to get your entire party on one bus if you let the driver know that the child can sit on a bus seat, and you will hold on to the folded chair. Again, that would be at the driver's discretion.

If the chair does not fold compactly, or the child requires the use of the chair full time, then they may ask your group who will go first (leaving the rest of your party behind) - especially if there is someone else already loaded on the bus in one of the two available slots for mobility devices.

It won't be easy - there will be times when if you all want to travel together, you may have to wait for the next bus, but it should be quite do-able. The main thing is to stress to everyone in your party that you are at Disney World - where we *all* wish we could be! - and that waiting a bit to get on to your next adventure is just part of the fun!

°o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o° °o°

And, completely unsolicited, here are some driving tips for your ECV newbie with the broken ankle (Ow - I have been there!) You may know a lot of these because you have visited with a mobility device in your party before, but hopefully it's helpful for your friend (so feel free to copy/paste to her!) 🙂

Here we go:

Remember that you can bring along a walker or cane for times when you may want/need to park the ECV; let your rental vendor know you what you will need to store on board; they may have a cane or walker holder to help you out (no need to bring bungee cords!)

When driving any kind of mobility device at WDW, it's great if the folks traveling with the device user can help create a "bubble" around them. The "bubble" helps prevent the (inevitable) issue with people walking right in front of you, or sometimes right *into* you (yes, it happens - typically they are busy looking at their phone, and not paying attention to where they are walking). My family tries to keep someone in front of me, and someone on my left (I try to travel as close to the right side of pathways as possible) which prevents a lot of problems; then we just have to keep an eye out for anyone who may pop out on the right side.

Where to park, when to park, how to enter and exit rides, attractions, shows and dining are all pretty simple: For the majority of Disney World, everything is "mainstreamed" - meaning there is no special entrance or exit for you to use. Cast Members will typically show you/a member of your party where the best place is to park the ECV while you are busy on a ride/eating/watching a show when you arrive at that location. If you have any questions, just ask! And, if you are worried about how far it is from where you have been asked to park, to where you need to go, talk to the CM about your current abilities. Often, they can let you get closer to your seat, and then move (or let a family member move) the ECV for you.

One of the big concerns people have revolves around their rental scooter being "stolen" at Disney World.

Don't worry if you park the ECV, and you come out of a ride, attraction or meal to find it "missing".

Cast Members routinely have to shift around scooters and strollers to keep walkways clear, and to fill in blank spots. Because there are so many similar ECVs (especially rental ECVs) it can be easy for it to become "lost" in a small sea of similar looking units. So, one of the things we recommend you do is tie a brightly colored length of ribbon, or even a brightly colored cotton bandana somewhere on the scooter. You can even pop a favorite Disney T-shirt over the back of the seat! That way, you ask the CM who is moving scooters and strollers around if they have seen the scooter with the bright green ribbons on the basket - instead of "the black one" or "the one with a captain's chair".

In all the years I have been hanging around here, we have had *one* scooter that was literally taken by accident because it was identical to the scooter that person had rented. (for rentals, the keys are all the same so the rental company doesn't have to keep track of one particular set of keys - they can hand over any key for any scooter). It all got sorted in the end, and everything was OK. But seriously, at WDW, in the Parks, you don't have to worry. Additionally, these days, most of the rental vendors have bright colored "personalized" signs that hang off the scooter (typically off the back of the seat) to help prevent that very problem.

And always always always take the key if you leave the scooter anywhere. Cast Members know how to disengage the brake to move it if need be.

Remember that you won't park it outside your hotel room - it goes in your hotel room every night to fully recharge - and I know it goes without saying that you don't ever want leave anything in/on the scooter that you don't want to grow legs and "walk" away...

There is plenty of room in every Disney Resort hotel room to park & charge a standard scooter. (Actually, you can park & charge *2* scooters in every Disney Resort hotel room - yes, even Pop rooms!)

Disney Springs merits a quick mention - because it's open to the public with no admission, there is a greater chance that someone *might* try to take it on a joyride, but simply taking the key with you every time you leave it solves a lot of that kind of nonsense!

There should be no problems using the scooter there, either. You can even use the water taxi system to get from one end of the Springs to the other with the ECV.

Please note that Disney Springs is *much* larger now than it was even 5 years ago - and bus drop off/pick up zone have moved significantly; grabbing a map (or using the one built in to your My Disney Experience app on your smartphone) will be very helpful!

Now, let's talk about buses. And ramps. (and Monorails and boats, too - they use portable ramps to get on and off)

Sometimes people worry that other Guests are watching or "judging" them when they use the ramp to drive their device into/out of the bus. I've been using a personal mobility device for *years* at WDW now, and I know that people who appear to be staring at you when you are loading/unloading from the bus really are often just watching out of curiosity.

Think about it like this: The bus pulls up, and everyone gets off. BUT before anyone can get on, the driver closes the front doors, and the back doors, and then walks to the back of the bus. The back doors open again - but only *after* the bus has "kneeled" (with a great huge wheezy gasp) and then barfed out a ramp with all kinds of beeping as well!

It's a wonder that Disney hasn't decided to sell tickets for the spectacular that is the bus deploying/retracting the ramp!

So, often the folks who may (to us) appear to be "judging" or staring, are actually WDW newbies who are startled by all of the commotion. But it's the *bus* they are watching - not the scooter driver.

At the Resort Hotel, make sure you are parked in the white painted rectangle at the bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees you, and knows you are waiting to ride. As the bus approaches, I usually try to wave and smile to let the driver know I will be riding their bus.

When the driver says that it's time to board the bus, just let them know that you are a newbie, and will appreciate all the help they can give you. Remember - they are an *expert* at getting folks on and off the bus, so just take a deep breath, and listen to their instructions, and everything will be fine

When the ramp comes down, line up on the ramp, and try to go right up the center. At the top of the ramp you will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until you are used to the ECV. Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to run over the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in. The drivers will give you instructions and will help as much as they can, but *technically* it is up to you (or a member of your party) to actually get the ECV up into (or back out of) the bus. You will always board first, and exit last.

If you are just too worried about driving on and off the bus, someone who is with you can do that for you. Again, they just have to follow the bus driver's instructions. You can walk up or down the ramp after the driver tells you it is safe to do so.

When it's time to drive off the bus, the most important thing is to make sure that you don't turn your front wheels (or the "tiller" - the steering mechanism) until AFTER your rear wheels are on the ground, and you are completely clear of the ramp. You don't want to catch the edge of the ramp, and tip over!

Boats: All of the boats, except for the little launches at Poly & WL, are accessible. Most of the boats will have a portable ramp that a CM will place for you to drive on and off the boat. The exception to this is at WL; the bigger boats historically don't use a ramp there, and you just have to hope that the water level (and number of people on the boat) work in your favor! (Makes it kind of exciting LOL!) We have had a CM instruct us to wait while more people board to lower the boat, and then when the doorway is at the optimum height to the dock, they wave us on.

Monorail: You will see the same portable ramps at the Monorail stations that we use at the boats. A CM will tell you which car to drive to, and will place a ramp for you. Sometimes, you get lucky, and you drive on, and drive off - but there will be times when you have to back off down the ramp. Remember to keep your wheels straight, have someone behind you giving you clear verbal cues, and take your time for safety.

And nowadays, we have the Skyliners, which use a whole different loading/unloading system - no ramps needed!

Skyliner: You will be directed to a special area for loading where the Skyliner cabins are stopped at all stations (except for Riveria, and that should *not* be attempted by a novice driver because generally speaking they don't/won't/can't stop the line there)

The Skyliner cabins are all a direct drive-on; no ramp is needed. Once the ECV is in the cabin, the CM will place wheel chocks to prevent the scooter from rolling across the cabin during flight. When you arrive at your destination, your cabin will be sent to the HA loading area, and the CM will enter the cabin to remove the chocks, and you will back straight off the Skyliner. Again take your time, and keep your wheels straight.

In general: Whenever loading/unloading from Disney transportation of any kind, use the *slowest* possible speed - this may be indicated on the controls by a "turtle" - and listen to the CMs who are there for your safety - they will guide you all the way!

So that you can have the best trip possible, here's a few more tips, just for you:

- Plan ahead if you are flying. Remember that long lines at TSA - and long concourses inside terminals - can be problematic (especially if you have a layover at an interim airport). You may want to consider bringing along a folding rollator or a wheelchair from home that someone in your party could push, or arranging for an airport porter service if you will need it. All wheelchairs, and ECVs (as well as walkers & Rollators) fly for free on US based air carriers because they are considered to be medical equipment, so you don't have to worry about an additional expense. If you don't need to use that device while at WDW, you can just leave it folded & parked in the Resort hotel room.

- If flying in to Orlando, be sure to let Disney's Magical Express know if you will need to use the lift because you can't use the stairs, to get in and out of the bus that goes to and from the airport. (you must be seated on/in a wheelchair or ECV to use the lift - they will not operate it with anyone standing on it) If you are not bringing your own mobility device and you are using a rental ECV at your Resort, the Magical Express buses typically have a "loaner" wheelchair under the bus that you will sit in to ride the lift into/out of the bus. We have lots more info on this process if needed 🙂

- You *can* practice your ECV driving and parking skills at Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, the grocery store, etc. and it helps some people feel more prepared. It's a great way to practice for the inevitable moment when someone *will* walk right out in front of you while you are driving at WDW! Those big electric shopping cart/scooter hybrids are slow, and clumsy, and not really like driving a standard ECV - it's true - but they do offer some "real world" practice for those who feel like they need to get the hang of driving an ECV in public before they arrive at WDW.

- WDW has a rule - for everyone's safety - that only you ride the ECV. You will undoubtedly see people holding children on their laps while driving their scooters, but it's very dangerous, and I hope you will agree that safety comes first. One ECV, one rider.

- Don't allow the scooter to become your group's personal pack mule. It's a medical mobility device, meant to carry a person, not everyone's bags, coats and "stuff". For the comfort and safety of the rider, try to make sure that they are not overburdened. This is especially true at bag check - ECVs still have to go through security lines, and the person on the ECV is responsible for everything on the ECV, or in it's basket/compartment/bag at security.

People who have never had to use a mobility device don't realize that many scooters can't just stop on a dime; some of them "coast" a tiny bit before coming to a complete stop, even if the driver is fast off the throttle or hard on the brakes (if equipped with brakes). To help keep everyone safe and whole, I try to make eye contact, smile politely, and offer an cheerful "Excuse me!" when needed. Little kiddos are also prone to running out in front of mobility devices because they are blissfully unaware of the laws of physics. So, the big take-away here is: Remember to stay sharp and focused while driving the ECV, and enlist everyone else in your party to help create that "bubble" of safety!

- If you can, practice a bit with your rental (at the Resort is a great spot for this) prior to going in to the parks. Get used to how it handles, turns, stops and starts. Every ECV is a bit different (just like any other vehicle). I have 2 personal ECVs, identical models and they each have their own "personality" (and name. Because I'm weird like that LOL)

- A few miscellaneous driving tips: anytime at WDW (or anytime using an ECV for that matter) be aware of ramps, hills and slopes. Going up, you will want to lean forward slightly to help shift your center of gravity towards the front of the ECV. Take your time on steep slopes, hills or ramps, and if possible, approach them slowly and carefully at the base; hitting the bottom of some of the steeper ramps or slopes can be a bit jarring.

Coming down, be very aware of your speed, and make sure you can control your speed effectively. Two hands on the wheel!

- When crossing the train tracks embedded in Main Street at MK, try to cross at a slight angle. Otherwise, you risk the wheel(s) getting caught, and you could find yourself dumped rather unceremoniously onto Main Street. Everyone wants to have an unforgettable trip - just for the right reasons!

And last, but not least - if your ankle starts to hurt, or throb, remember that you can always visit First Aid for free ibuprofen and an ice pack; you can even ask to lie down and prop up for a bit (if they have a spare cot).

I hope y'all have a great trip!

Wow!! That must have taken you hours to write!! So thoughtful :-) . I have never been in a wheelchair or ECV, but I read every word because it was interesting and gave me perspective on what our chair-bound friends deal with. So, thank you!

I've had to use a scooter for our last few trips to WDW, and I wish I'd had a chance to read your post before my first trip. Lots of great information here, so thank you for assembling it and presenting it so clearly and concisely.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Disney buses!

Aside from renting a 15 passenger van (and making sure that the wheelchair & ECV can be put into the van) your choices will come down to Mears (for the taxi vans, as @MonkAdrianMonk said above), Disney buses, or you could possibly find a car service that you could hire for the duration and schedule, although I can't imagine the cost of keeping a car service on standby all week... You will - staying at Pop - have some access to the Skyliner, but it obviously won't take you everywhere you want to go, and your group will be split into 2 - 1 cabin with the chair, and 1 with the ECV.

So, let's talk briefly about buses.

Right now, all Disney buses are divided into "zones" and how the driver loads them is (as always) at their discretion. Be prepared that your party - with 2 devices - may be split across 2 buses, and so make plans for where you will meet up at the other end of ride if that happens (not saying it will every time, but it could, so be prepared; I don't want to set an unrealistic expectation).

You don't say what kind of wheelchair the child uses; if it is a standard, folding chair, you may be able to get your entire party on one bus if you let the driver know that the child can sit on a bus seat, and you will hold on to the folded chair. Again, that would be at the driver's discretion.

If the chair does not fold compactly, or the child requires the use of the chair full time, then they may ask your group who will go first (leaving the rest of your party behind) - especially if there is someone else already loaded on the bus in one of the two available slots for mobility devices.

It won't be easy - there will be times when if you all want to travel together, you may have to wait for the next bus, but it should be quite do-able. The main thing is to stress to everyone in your party that you are at Disney World - where we *all* wish we could be! - and that waiting a bit to get on to your next adventure is just part of the fun!

And, completely unsolicited, here are some driving tips for your ECV newbie with the broken ankle (Ow - I have been there!) You may know a lot of these because you have visited with a mobility device in your party before, but hopefully it's helpful for your friend (so feel free to copy/paste to her!) 🙂

Here we go:

Remember that you can bring along a walker or cane for times when you may want/need to park the ECV; let your rental vendor know you what you will need to store on board; they may have a cane or walker holder to help you out (no need to bring bungee cords!)

When driving any kind of mobility device at WDW, it's great if the folks traveling with the device user can help create a "bubble" around them. The "bubble" helps prevent the (inevitable) issue with people walking right in front of you, or sometimes right *into* you (yes, it happens - typically they are busy looking at their phone, and not paying attention to where they are walking). My family tries to keep someone in front of me, and someone on my left (I try to travel as close to the right side of pathways as possible) which prevents a lot of problems; then we just have to keep an eye out for anyone who may pop out on the right side.

Where to park, when to park, how to enter and exit rides, attractions, shows and dining are all pretty simple: For the majority of Disney World, everything is "mainstreamed" - meaning there is no special entrance or exit for you to use. Cast Members will typically show you/a member of your party where the best place is to park the ECV while you are busy on a ride/eating/watching a show when you arrive at that location. If you have any questions, just ask! And, if you are worried about how far it is from where you have been asked to park, to where you need to go, talk to the CM about your current abilities. Often, they can let you get closer to your seat, and then move (or let a family member move) the ECV for you.

One of the big concerns people have revolves around their rental scooter being "stolen" at Disney World.

Don't worry if you park the ECV, and you come out of a ride, attraction or meal to find it "missing".

Cast Members routinely have to shift around scooters and strollers to keep walkways clear, and to fill in blank spots. Because there are so many similar ECVs (especially rental ECVs) it can be easy for it to become "lost" in a small sea of similar looking units. So, one of the things we recommend you do is tie a brightly colored length of ribbon, or even a brightly colored cotton bandana somewhere on the scooter. You can even pop a favorite Disney T-shirt over the back of the seat! That way, you ask the CM who is moving scooters and strollers around if they have seen the scooter with the bright green ribbons on the basket - instead of "the black one" or "the one with a captain's chair".

In all the years I have been hanging around here, we have had *one* scooter that was literally taken by accident because it was identical to the scooter that person had rented. (for rentals, the keys are all the same so the rental company doesn't have to keep track of one particular set of keys - they can hand over any key for any scooter). It all got sorted in the end, and everything was OK. But seriously, at WDW, in the Parks, you don't have to worry. Additionally, these days, most of the rental vendors have bright colored "personalized" signs that hang off the scooter (typically off the back of the seat) to help prevent that very problem.

And always always always take the key if you leave the scooter anywhere. Cast Members know how to disengage the brake to move it if need be.

Remember that you won't park it outside your hotel room - it goes in your hotel room every night to fully recharge - and I know it goes without saying that you don't ever want leave anything in/on the scooter that you don't want to grow legs and "walk" away...

There is plenty of room in every Disney Resort hotel room to park & charge a standard scooter. (Actually, you can park & charge *2* scooters in every Disney Resort hotel room - yes, even Pop rooms!)

Disney Springs merits a quick mention - because it's open to the public with no admission, there is a greater chance that someone *might* try to take it on a joyride, but simply taking the key with you every time you leave it solves a lot of that kind of nonsense!

There should be no problems using the scooter there, either. You can even use the water taxi system to get from one end of the Springs to the other with the ECV.

Please note that Disney Springs is *much* larger now than it was even 5 years ago - and bus drop off/pick up zone have moved significantly; grabbing a map (or using the one built in to your My Disney Experience app on your smartphone) will be very helpful!

Now, let's talk about buses. And ramps. (and Monorails and boats, too - they use portable ramps to get on and off)

Sometimes people worry that other Guests are watching or "judging" them when they use the ramp to drive their device into/out of the bus. I've been using a personal mobility device for *years* at WDW now, and I know that people who appear to be staring at you when you are loading/unloading from the bus really are often just watching out of curiosity.

Think about it like this: The bus pulls up, and everyone gets off. BUT before anyone can get on, the driver closes the front doors, and the back doors, and then walks to the back of the bus. The back doors open again - but only *after* the bus has "kneeled" (with a great huge wheezy gasp) and then barfed out a ramp with all kinds of beeping as well!

It's a wonder that Disney hasn't decided to sell tickets for the spectacular that is the bus deploying/retracting the ramp!

So, often the folks who may (to us) appear to be "judging" or staring, are actually WDW newbies who are startled by all of the commotion. But it's the *bus* they are watching - not the scooter driver.

At the Resort Hotel, make sure you are parked in the white painted rectangle at the bus stop (unless another guest beat you to it) so that the driver sees you, and knows you are waiting to ride. As the bus approaches, I usually try to wave and smile to let the driver know I will be riding their bus.

When the driver says that it's time to board the bus, just let them know that you are a newbie, and will appreciate all the help they can give you. Remember - they are an *expert* at getting folks on and off the bus, so just take a deep breath, and listen to their instructions, and everything will be fine

When the ramp comes down, line up on the ramp, and try to go right up the center. At the top of the ramp you will typically have to turn a bit to the right. GO SLOWLY, especially until you are used to the ECV. Even experienced users take this carefully - the last thing you want is to run over the driver, or hit the side of the doorway going in. The drivers will give you instructions and will help as much as they can, but *technically* it is up to you (or a member of your party) to actually get the ECV up into (or back out of) the bus. You will always board first, and exit last.

If you are just too worried about driving on and off the bus, someone who is with you can do that for you. Again, they just have to follow the bus driver's instructions. You can walk up or down the ramp after the driver tells you it is safe to do so.

When it's time to drive off the bus, the most important thing is to make sure that you don't turn your front wheels (or the "tiller" - the steering mechanism) until AFTER your rear wheels are on the ground, and you are completely clear of the ramp. You don't want to catch the edge of the ramp, and tip over!

Boats: All of the boats, except for the little launches at Poly & WL, are accessible. Most of the boats will have a portable ramp that a CM will place for you to drive on and off the boat. The exception to this is at WL; the bigger boats historically don't use a ramp there, and you just have to hope that the water level (and number of people on the boat) work in your favor! (Makes it kind of exciting LOL!) We have had a CM instruct us to wait while more people board to lower the boat, and then when the doorway is at the optimum height to the dock, they wave us on.

Monorail: You will see the same portable ramps at the Monorail stations that we use at the boats. A CM will tell you which car to drive to, and will place a ramp for you. Sometimes, you get lucky, and you drive on, and drive off - but there will be times when you have to back off down the ramp. Remember to keep your wheels straight, have someone behind you giving you clear verbal cues, and take your time for safety.

And nowadays, we have the Skyliners, which use a whole different loading/unloading system - no ramps needed!

Skyliner: You will be directed to a special area for loading where the Skyliner cabins are stopped at all stations (except for Riveria, and that should *not* be attempted by a novice driver because generally speaking they don't/won't/can't stop the line there)

The Skyliner cabins are all a direct drive-on; no ramp is needed. Once the ECV is in the cabin, the CM will place wheel chocks to prevent the scooter from rolling across the cabin during flight. When you arrive at your destination, your cabin will be sent to the HA loading area, and the CM will enter the cabin to remove the chocks, and you will back straight off the Skyliner. Again take your time, and keep your wheels straight.

In general: Whenever loading/unloading from Disney transportation of any kind, use the *slowest* possible speed - this may be indicated on the controls by a "turtle" - and listen to the CMs who are there for your safety - they will guide you all the way!

So that you can have the best trip possible, here's a few more tips, just for you:

- Plan ahead if you are flying. Remember that long lines at TSA - and long concourses inside terminals - can be problematic (especially if you have a layover at an interim airport). You may want to consider bringing along a folding rollator or a wheelchair from home that someone in your party could push, or arranging for an airport porter service if you will need it. All wheelchairs, and ECVs (as well as walkers & Rollators) fly for free on US based air carriers because they are considered to be medical equipment, so you don't have to worry about an additional expense. If you don't need to use that device while at WDW, you can just leave it folded & parked in the Resort hotel room.

- If flying in to Orlando, be sure to let Disney's Magical Express know if you will need to use the lift because you can't use the stairs, to get in and out of the bus that goes to and from the airport. (you must be seated on/in a wheelchair or ECV to use the lift - they will not operate it with anyone standing on it) If you are not bringing your own mobility device and you are using a rental ECV at your Resort, the Magical Express buses typically have a "loaner" wheelchair under the bus that you will sit in to ride the lift into/out of the bus. We have lots more info on this process if needed 🙂

- You *can* practice your ECV driving and parking skills at Wal-Mart, Target, Lowe's, the grocery store, etc. and it helps some people feel more prepared. It's a great way to practice for the inevitable moment when someone *will* walk right out in front of you while you are driving at WDW! Those big electric shopping cart/scooter hybrids are slow, and clumsy, and not really like driving a standard ECV - it's true - but they do offer some "real world" practice for those who feel like they need to get the hang of driving an ECV in public before they arrive at WDW.

- WDW has a rule - for everyone's safety - that only you ride the ECV. You will undoubtedly see people holding children on their laps while driving their scooters, but it's very dangerous, and I hope you will agree that safety comes first. One ECV, one rider.

- Don't allow the scooter to become your group's personal pack mule. It's a medical mobility device, meant to carry a person, not everyone's bags, coats and "stuff". For the comfort and safety of the rider, try to make sure that they are not overburdened. This is especially true at bag check - ECVs still have to go through security lines, and the person on the ECV is responsible for everything on the ECV, or in it's basket/compartment/bag at security.

People who have never had to use a mobility device don't realize that many scooters can't just stop on a dime; some of them "coast" a tiny bit before coming to a complete stop, even if the driver is fast off the throttle or hard on the brakes (if equipped with brakes). To help keep everyone safe and whole, I try to make eye contact, smile politely, and offer an cheerful "Excuse me!" when needed. Little kiddos are also prone to running out in front of mobility devices because they are blissfully unaware of the laws of physics. So, the big take-away here is: Remember to stay sharp and focused while driving the ECV, and enlist everyone else in your party to help create that "bubble" of safety!

- If you can, practice a bit with your rental (at the Resort is a great spot for this) prior to going in to the parks. Get used to how it handles, turns, stops and starts. Every ECV is a bit different (just like any other vehicle). I have 2 personal ECVs, identical models and they each have their own "personality" (and name. Because I'm weird like that LOL)

- A few miscellaneous driving tips: anytime at WDW (or anytime using an ECV for that matter) be aware of ramps, hills and slopes. Going up, you will want to lean forward slightly to help shift your center of gravity towards the front of the ECV. Take your time on steep slopes, hills or ramps, and if possible, approach them slowly and carefully at the base; hitting the bottom of some of the steeper ramps or slopes can be a bit jarring.

Coming down, be very aware of your speed, and make sure you can control your speed effectively. Two hands on the wheel!

- When crossing the train tracks embedded in Main Street at MK, try to cross at a slight angle. Otherwise, you risk the wheel(s) getting caught, and you could find yourself dumped rather unceremoniously onto Main Street. Everyone wants to have an unforgettable trip - just for the right reasons!

And last, but not least - if your ankle starts to hurt, or throb, remember that you can always visit First Aid for free ibuprofen and an ice pack; you can even ask to lie down and prop up for a bit (if they have a spare cot).

I hope y'all have a great trip!
So much great informative. Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter