Transportation DURING Races?

daisyduckismyqueen

⭐ Miss Piggy ⭐ ⭐The Eras Tour⭐
Hey hey - going back to run another DOPEY this year. My sweet hubby last year came with me to the start line at 3:30, and then spectated from EPCOT, Main Street, and Finish Line... so lots of downtime for him... and he is spectating again in 2024. This year we are staying in a garden-cottage at Boardwalk.... I was hoping the times would work out for him to take the monorail from MK back to EPCOT, scan in, and then walk back to the Boardwalk and be able to eat breakfast/change/charge devices/sit on not concrete/on bleachers. But looks like historically the park won't be open to him until 9:30 AM or possibly 10 AM... so I am wondering if he could take the bus? I am assuming he will get back to EPCOT a little before 9. Is it correct that the buses started back up at 6:30 last year? Either way- they for sure would be running by 9 right?? For all the sub-4 finishers?

MORE DETAILS AS I WORK THIS OUT IN MY HEAD: I am slow - 13:30-14:30 min pace. Of course, there is the potential the course changes, but assuming it doesn't, and I am pacing similar to last year - I got to MK just a bit before 8, and didn't finish until noon. I figure if the times are the same, he could head back to EPCOT, and hop on a bus back to Boardwalk all before 9? And that would give him more downtime than waiting for the park to open at 9:30-10. Hang out there probably for 2ish hours, and then walk back to EPCOT, out the front of the park, and head down to the race area? We have APs so scanning in is no big deal.

Thoughts? Other Ideas?

Hey hey - going back to run another DOPEY this year. My sweet hubby last year came with me to the start line at 3:30, and then spectated from EPCOT, Main Street, and Finish Line... so lots of downtime for him... and he is spectating again in 2024. This year we are staying in a garden-cottage at Boardwalk.... I was hoping the times would work out for him to take the monorail from MK back to EPCOT, scan in, and then walk back to the Boardwalk and be able to eat breakfast/change/charge devices/sit on not concrete/on bleachers. But looks like historically the park won't be open to him until 9:30 AM or possibly 10 AM... so I am wondering if he could take the bus? I am assuming he will get back to EPCOT a little before 9. Is it correct that the buses started back up at 6:30 last year? Either way- they for sure would be running by 9 right?? For all the sub-4 finishers?

MORE DETAILS AS I WORK THIS OUT IN MY HEAD: I am slow - 13:30-14:30 min pace. Of course, there is the potential the course changes, but assuming it doesn't, and I am pacing similar to last year - I got to MK just a bit before 8, and didn't finish until noon. I figure if the times are the same, he could head back to EPCOT, and hop on a bus back to Boardwalk all before 9? And that would give him more downtime than waiting for the park to open at 9:30-10. Hang out there probably for 2ish hours, and then walk back to EPCOT, out the front of the park, and head down to the race area? We have APs so scanning in is no big deal.

Thoughts? Other Ideas?
EPCOT opening is now 9:00 AM, 8:30 AM for resort guests so the monorail plan would work okay. However...... navigating from the front of EPCOT to IG is not the easiest thing to do with runners on the course. A lot of crosswalks,
detours, etc. My alternative would be walk to The Contemporary, bus to HS and either Skyliner to IG with a walk to BW or maybe boat to BW. Having said that, the boat service is "sometimes" suspended during the race. Bottom line is there will be some way to get from HS to BW in enough time!

Last edited:
I’ve done this for a couple of marathons since I finish around 8:30, and will hop on transportation back to the hotel to shower and change, and then head back to the finish line. The only issue is traffic coming back, but if he’s walking through Epcot, this is a non-factor.

When will MK resort guest buses start allowing you to take them back to the resort? Early entry for MK is usually around 8:30-9:00am which means the resort buses are probably running sooner than that. Is it possible to catch a Boardwalk bound bus from MK? I know I ran into issues once not related to a race weekend when I tried to catch a bus back early.

Based on the 2023 course, your pace, and estimated starting group, I have you at MK at 8:00-8:10, Boardwalk at 11:18 and finish at 11:49.

When will MK resort guest buses start allowing you to take them back to the resort? Early entry for MK is usually around 8:30-9:00am which means the resort buses are probably running sooner than that. Is it possible to catch a Boardwalk bound bus from MK? I know I ran into issues once not related to a race weekend when I tried to catch a bus back early.

Based on the 2023 course, your pace, and estimated starting group, I have you at MK at 8:00-8:10, Boardwalk at 11:18 and finish at 11:49.
I thought about this... I think it could work in theory, but I def see the benefit of just monorailing back to EPCOT and taking a race bus.. get him as close as possible to the hotel with the least chance of traffic/road closure/lost drivers! I think it should work out, just getting a bit antsy about it:)

I’ve done this for a couple of marathons since I finish around 8:30, and will hop on transportation back to the hotel to shower and change, and then head back to the finish line. The only issue is traffic coming back, but if he’s walking through Epcot, this is a non-factor.
This helps so much! I figure know the expo guide says they restarted resort race buses at 6:30 last year, but with it being a bit, er, inaccurate at times... I wasn't sure what to expect! Thank you for sharing your experience:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter