Travel Restrictions -- seeking clarity on quarantine and Aulani's closure period

I took your lead, capitulated and rebooked earlier today. With the kid’s schedule (assuming school is back in the fall) the best time for us to go is Thanksgiving and that’s falling within the 7 month window in the next few days so decided if I was going to do it now was the time. I’m bummed we’ve gone from being a month and a half away to now being 7+ months out but it is what it is.

As someone who rescheduled for next fall from a March vacation its really nice to still have Aulani in the forward window instead of crying over it in the rearview!

I'm on the edge as well for cancelling that memorial day week. Even if they were to allow tourist back into the country, my concern would be what will actually be open during that time? Are they going to be opening up the beaches to allow for sunbathing? What about the nightlife and restaurants? I've never been to Hawaii before and I don't want my first experience to be doing nothing but lounging around a hotel all day. I want to be able to experience Hawaii to the fullest.
As long as Aulani and the beaches are open that would be enough for me! Beaches still being closed would be a deal breaker.

I'm on the edge as well for cancelling that memorial day week. Even if they were to allow tourist back into the country, my concern would be what will actually be open during that time? Are they going to be opening up the beaches to allow for sunbathing? What about the nightlife and restaurants? I've never been to Hawaii before and I don't want my first experience to be doing nothing but lounging around a hotel all day. I want to be able to experience Hawaii to the fullest.
if you want the "full" experience its more and more likely you'd need to look at delaying your trip for 3-4 years...maybe longer...while it won't take the beaches that long to re-open...it seems likely it'll be at least that long until things get back to where they were...(not that there was ever much to do at night anyway)

if too many stay away for too long...it could take even longer, or things could turn to a point where tourism isn't a focus anymore (i.e. way less hotels/flights/tours...could also mean much higher prices)

if too many return too soon...its likely that there will be a much larger virus outbreak and then the protests around the hotels and airports could start up and get out of control (thank hawaii's governor for this even being possible due to how much he just wants to do nothing)

I think 3-4 years is too pessimistic of a prediction in regards to going back to normalcy.

Sounds like a no win situation for Hawaii here. Open too soon and people will protest the increase of infected people, and don't open soon enough and the people will protest skyrocket unemployment and higher prices.

it all comes down to what normal means...

if it means back to where things were before all the shutdowns and self quarantines...3-4 years is probably not too far off at this point (hawaii's unemployment % + current situation of secondary outbreaks in asia)...several small businesses (particularly restaurants) have already closed for good...for many this may make things feel...not normal, and it may be several years before other businesses of similar quality take over (if ever)...as an example toys r us (and babies r us) closed many years ago...and finding baby supplies (and toys) has been more difficult since then...but still the only options not named amazon are primarily target and walmart...and options are far more limited. (technically ross and tj maxx as well)

if normal means being able to go to the beaches and relax without social distancing or a self quarantine...maybe 4 months - 2 years (depends on things like a vaccine, effective treatments, etc.).

if normal is simply being able to not be confined to a hotel room for 2 weeks...maybe 4-6 months? or whenever the visitor quarantine order is lifted. (guessing 4-6 more months based on secondary outbreaks in asia). there is a "task force" being put together to figure out how to restart the economy in hawaii...so a lot will also be dependent on what comes out of that...could be as early as may...or might not be till some time next year.

the longer the visitor quarantine is in place...the longer the recovery will take...but if it gets dropped and has to be put back in shortly after...it could be worse than leaving it in place too long.

think of hawaii like a country with 1 export...tourism...every week money goes out for supplies, oil, etc. but basically zero money comes in...restarting tourism isn't going to make up for over a month worth of lost money in the local economy very quickly...and its likely that visitor counts will be low for a while even after restrictions are lifted.

I've just now come to the realization that our Memorial Week trip will need to be canceled (I'm stubborn and hopelessly optimistic and was really hoping this would all be over). I also realize this is speculation but do you think a trip the second week of December is too early to reschedule or would 2021 be a safer bet? We had 5 nights for Aulani with 1 night at Moana Surfrider booked for May. Moana Surfrider already transfered our 1 night stay to the Sheraton Waikiki (which gave me pause since what I had already paid for Moana Surfrider was several hundred $$ more than the Sheraton). We were going for my birthday in May but clearly want everything to be safe for locals and tourists alike.

I've just now come to the realization that our Memorial Week trip will need to be canceled (I'm stubborn and hopelessly optimistic and was really hoping this would all be over). I also realize this is speculation but do you think a trip the second week of December is too early to reschedule or would 2021 be a safer bet? We had 5 nights for Aulani with 1 night at Moana Surfrider booked for May. Moana Surfrider already transfered our 1 night stay to the Sheraton Waikiki (which gave me pause since what I had already paid for Moana Surfrider was several hundred $$ more than the Sheraton). We were going for my birthday in May but clearly want everything to be safe for locals and tourists alike.
Feeling for you. It really sucks when you finally come to this decision. I was where you were a little over a month ago. I rebooked for early November but now wish I would of waited until 2021.

it really is going to come down to a ton of factors you won't have any control over.

the city of honolulu (i.e. the island of oahu) extended the stay at home order till the end of may...but the state hasn't decided what to do beyond april yet (this is causing many people a great deal of confusion).

if you would rather not deal with the added anxiety of if you can go or not...delaying your trip is probably best. if you really liked one or more of the small business shops (food, etc.) and it's a must do on your trip...then going sooner rather than later would be better...assuming that shop hasn't already decided to close.

It is a hard realization to come to. We had to cancel our Vero trip back in mid-March. At that point, I was hopeful for our late June trip to Aulani. At this point, I'm assuming that will have to be canceled as well. Even though I pretty much "know" we will have to move it, it will still feel like a gut-punch when we do it. I do know, however, that after the initial disappointment around our Vero trip, I did feel relief--I hadn't really realized how much energy I was spending on worrying about whether we were going to go or not, and what that would look like if we did go, etc. For us, our outbound flight is United, and in order to get the travel voucher with no change fees for United, we have to make a final decision on canceling that flight by April 30. I doubt we'll make the final call before that day, even though....I really already know. :( As I've said before, I shouldn't complain--we've been lucky enough to have been to Aulani twice before, and we'll undoubtedly go again, as we own there, but still....sigh. We won't reschedule until 6/2021.

I just canceled mid-June trip yesterday and while it was hard I’m relieved the decision was made. We plan to try again next summer, and with our United flights we will probably cancel and take the 2-year e-travel option. DVC was very helpful in unborrowing points immediately and we used banked and OTU points for a July trip, who knows if that will happen either but it’s something to look forward to. Hawaii needs time to figure this out and if I’m still struggling to find TP here (Chicago area) how can I expect that all will be well in Hawaii by June! It was to be our first trip to Hawaii but just looking at it as postponing not canceling! Stay well everyone and best of luck with some tough decisions!

Feeling for you. It really sucks when you finally come to this decision. I was where you were a little over a month ago. I rebooked for early November but now wish I would of waited until 2021.
it really is going to come down to a ton of factors you won't have any control over.

the city of honolulu (i.e. the island of oahu) extended the stay at home order till the end of may...but the state hasn't decided what to do beyond april yet (this is causing many people a great deal of confusion).

if you would rather not deal with the added anxiety of if you can go or not...delaying your trip is probably best. if you really liked one or more of the small business shops (food, etc.) and it's a must do on your trip...then going sooner rather than later would be better...assuming that shop hasn't already decided to close.
It is a hard realization to come to. We had to cancel our Vero trip back in mid-March. At that point, I was hopeful for our late June trip to Aulani. At this point, I'm assuming that will have to be canceled as well. Even though I pretty much "know" we will have to move it, it will still feel like a gut-punch when we do it. I do know, however, that after the initial disappointment around our Vero trip, I did feel relief--I hadn't really realized how much energy I was spending on worrying about whether we were going to go or not, and what that would look like if we did go, etc. For us, our outbound flight is United, and in order to get the travel voucher with no change fees for United, we have to make a final decision on canceling that flight by April 30. I doubt we'll make the final call before that day, even though....I really already know. :( As I've said before, I shouldn't complain--we've been lucky enough to have been to Aulani twice before, and we'll undoubtedly go again, as we own there, but still....sigh. We won't reschedule until 6/2021.
I feel a lot better knowing I'm not the only one. I am pretty sad about the whole thing as there is so much that goes into planning...like how am I going to get my money back for the Aulani Luau, Waikiki hotel, Hawaiian Air.......and to complicate things the week I thought about trying to switch to already has someone here at work off and we're a smallish facility that only allows 1 person off vacation at a time. If I already have tickets for the admission to USS Arizona will I have trouble getting the same tickets for several months later? This is our first trip to Hawaii...but honestly I shouldn't feel too bad as we are fortunate to have the $$ to do so. I really shouldn't complain and I'm not really complaining, just sharing my disappointment with you guys, lol! Do you think they will cancel the Bonzai Pipeline competition scheduled for jan/feb 2021? Now I'm nervous about planning for November 2020 and I probably should put it off until Jan or Feb 2021 but if this thing comes back with a vengeance (like some are predicting) then winter could be worse!

Yes me too. There was a real sense of relief I too felt after.

Yes me too. There was a real sense of relief I too felt after.
Hi - this is my first post! We just moved our trip from May 18th to Thanksgiving week and like everyone else really hope we can go - we own there and it was going to be our first trip there!

To get over this lost vacation we were planning to go to Vancouver for July 4th - we are Californians - curious if you think they are going to open the borders by then or what the general feeling is - we LOVE Vancouver and usually go in August for Seawheeze - so we thought an escape to our favorite city would ease the pain of moving Aulani....but I have my doubts...airfare is really good too

Hi - this is my first post! We just moved our trip from May 18th to Thanksgiving week and like everyone else really hope we can go - we own there and it was going to be our first trip there!

To get over this lost vacation we were planning to go to Vancouver for July 4th - we are Californians - curious if you think they are going to open the borders by then or what the general feeling is - we LOVE Vancouver and usually go in August for Seawheeze - so we thought an escape to our favorite city would ease the pain of moving Aulani....but I have my doubts...airfare is really good too
:welcome:

@Noah_t realized I probably didn't reply to you properly so I am going to try again! Just curious to know how Vancouver is doing..... :) Thank you!

@Noah_t realized I probably didn't reply to you properly so I am going to try again! Just curious to know how Vancouver is doing..... :) Thank you!

We are really lucky in Vancouver and the rest of BC. I believe luck in that our spring break falls later than many other jurisdictions so we manged to curb travel and kids were already home from school. Our provincial health authority acted quick and shut everything down too. We are starting to talk about relaxing the extreme measures for May 1 and I personally am optimistic we might even open borders this summer. I know inbound travellers have to quarantine for two weeks and the border are still closed for non essential travel though. I am not seeing any Xenophobia and if the borders are open by then i think it will be the same old Vancouver you have come to enjoy.

I am so lucky as a longshoreman we are considered essential to have a job right now and as someone who commmutes quite a distance I feel guilty sometimes how much i am enjoying driving right now. What used to take me at least an hour i can do in 30 minutes now so hopefully our notorious traffic is back by the time your trip comes. lol

Welcome! I'm also in Vancouver. The Prime Minister will be making another announcement in a couple of weeks regarding the border closure. It's currently set to expire May 21(or 22) so look for an announcement a few days before that. But yes, we also have a mandatory 14 day quarantine in place across Canada. We are doing really well in British Columbia so we are not sure which way this will go (border opening) at the moment. All large events such as the PNE, pride parade, Cloverdale Rodeo and the celebration of light (fireworks) have all been cancelled for this summer :( Our cruise ports are also closed to ships that carry more than 500 people and our chief health officer Dr Tam said earlier this week that they expect the ban on cruises to continue after July 1 as well :(

Welcome! I'm also in Vancouver. The Prime Minister will be making another announcement in a couple of weeks regarding the border closure. It's currently set to expire May 21(or 22) so look for an announcement a few days before that. But yes, we also have a mandatory 14 day quarantine in place across Canada. We are doing really well in British Columbia so we are not sure which way this will go (border opening) at the moment. All large events such as the PNE, pride parade, Cloverdale Rodeo and the celebration of light (fireworks) have all been cancelled for this summer :( Our cruise ports are also closed to ships that carry more than 500 people and our chief health officer Dr Tam said earlier this week that they expect the ban on cruises to continue after July 1 as well :(
Thank you for your thoughtful response - We love your city so much! Yes they canceled seawheeze as well (half marathon in august).
thank you for your thoughtful response - we love your city so much! I see you own at Aulani as do we our first trip there was supposed to be this month (owners since 2016 we have just used our points for wdw and finally decided we should see what Aulani is all about) we moved to thanksgiving week hoping it works out also have a Mexico cruise for October on the wonder but are pushing that out to February out of New Orleans - we were hoping to lift our spirits by going to Vancouver for a few days but of course if the quarantine is still in place and our favorite breweries are closed we will stay put 😊

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!