Traveling from Anaheim to San Diego Friday before Memorial Day

Masonmj84

DIS Veteran
We're planning a trip to Disneyland the week before Memorial Day and are then planning to travel down to San Diego over Memorial Day Weekend (staying on Coronado Island and will probably go to the zoo on Saturday and then spend Sunday hanging out on the beach).

Originally, the plan was to take the Disneyland Resort Express bus back and forth between LAX and Disneyland and rent a car at Alamo in DTD to go back and forth between Anaheim and San Diego (would return the car at DTD before taking the bus back to LAX).

Then, I got to thinking, Friday before Memorial Day in Southern California and I HATE sitting in traffic, especially when on vacation. I also don't want to have to get up super early on our last morning at DLR (plan to leave Anaheim around noon). So I started thinking that we might be better off taking Amtrak.

Interestinly, it costs slightly less for our family of four to take Amtrak from Anaheim to San Diego than to rent a car from DTD (and that's not counting fuel costs). But then we'd have to pay to take 6 cab rides, which I figure will total at least $150. This would make the Amtrak option at least $100 more expensive than the rental car option.

Is this money well spent the Friday before Memorial Day?

Follow up question: the above scenario involves buying unreserved coach seats. If it's critically important for our family to stay together (we have two young children), would we be better off buying reserved business class seats (about $120 more for the round trip)? I'm just afraid the train might already be pretty packed, given that it's a holiday weekend and most of the LA passengers will already be on the train by the time it gets to Anaheim.

We're planning a trip to Disneyland the week before Memorial Day and are then planning to travel down to San Diego over Memorial Day Weekend (staying on Coronado Island and will probably go to the zoo on Saturday and then spend Sunday hanging out on the beach).

Originally, the plan was to take the Disneyland Resort Express bus back and forth between LAX and Disneyland and rent a car at Alamo in DTD to go back and forth between Anaheim and San Diego (would return the car at DTD before taking the bus back to LAX).

Then, I got to thinking, Friday before Memorial Day in Southern California and I HATE sitting in traffic, especially when on vacation. I also don't want to have to get up super early on our last morning at DLR (plan to leave Anaheim around noon). So I started thinking that we might be better off taking Amtrak.

Interestinly, it costs slightly less for our family of four to take Amtrak from Anaheim to San Diego than to rent a car from DTD (and that's not counting fuel costs). But then we'd have to pay to take 6 cab rides, which I figure will total at least $150. This would make the Amtrak option at least $100 more expensive than the rental car option.

Is this money well spent the Friday before Memorial Day?

Follow up question: the above scenario involves buying unreserved coach seats. If it's critically important for our family to stay together (we have two young children), would we be better off buying reserved business class seats (about $120 more for the round trip)? I'm just afraid the train might already be pretty packed, given that it's a holiday weekend and most of the LA passengers will already be on the train by the time it gets to Anaheim.
"Reserved" only means you're guaranteed to have a seat, but that doesn't mean they're assigned before you board. I think you can get a snack and beverages - plus the seats recline.

I would say that you'll have no issue with kids. However, business class may be less crowded.

The train is such a nice ride(we did it in Nov). Not sure how packed it will be that weekend.

I would just be worried about the transportation once you get to SD.

I would explore the option to see if there is any type of shuttle from the train station to the hotel etc.

The traffic will not be too bad first thing in the morning. Honestly. You might hit a bit here or there...and then again getting in to downtown San Diego (golden triangle area). I would plan to leave the hotel around 9:30am and head to San Diego. You are really going to need a car here in San Diego. Coronado buttons up quite early and you may want that car to go get food or to go somewhere.

What is the parking rate at the hotel? Some charge upwards of $45 a night...

For the return, I would think you would be fine if you were on the road by 10am.

I just wanted to make a clarification on the terminology. "Reserved" in Amtrak parlance means that tickets will not be sold on board the train and that an available seat is more or less guaranteed to be there. You must have advanced purchase tickets, although that could conceivably be minutes before the train arrives. On many of the long distance routes you may be assigned a seat (or block of seats for a group) although that may depend on where you board. If you're at or near the origin, they may allow passengers to pick their own seats, and that changes as fewer seats become available and the attendant has to figure out how groups boarding down the line will be seated. The Pacific Surfliner does not have any of this. Business class seats on the Surfliner are reserved, and around Thanksgiving (the busiest time) coach seats are "reserved". However, I understand that if one has a monthly or multi-ride pass, such passengers will be allowed to board, although seating might be an issue. If it is, they've been known to tell passengers to just sit in the cafe car.

Unreserved means several things. One is that you can purchase tickets on board the train, although there may be a surcharge unless the boarding station doesn't sell tickets (through a ticket window or automated kiosk). Another is that if you miss the train, you can use that ticket on the same route, or even use that ticket on an earlier train - unless there are restrictions on the ticket (some discounted fares have such restrictions).

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conte...dation_C&pagename=am/Layout&cid=1248543010831

Only a few short-distance trains have unreserved coach seating, where tickets are valid on any train unless restricted by the fare paid.

While seating is not guaranteed, unreserved coach seats have most of the features that reserved coach seats have, also designed for passengers to relax throughout their train ride.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conte...dation_C&pagename=am/Layout&cid=1248543007393

Advance reservations (by train, not by individual seat) are required. Short / medium-distance trains and single-level / Viewliner trains offer reserved coach seating featuring wide comfortable seats with fold down trays and many other amenities.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conte...dation_C&pagename=am/Layout&cid=1248543011418

If you've never upgraded to Business Class on Amtrak, you might be surprised at how affordable it is. Business Class is offered as an upgrade on many of our short / medium-distance trains and is the minimum class of service on Acela Express. Business Class seats are reserved on all trains. Consider upgrading when booking your travel to make your next trip more comfortable and productive.

Price a weekly rate on the car. It may end up being a better deal to just rent a car at LAX for the whole trip. Even if you're not planning to use it at DLR, if your hotel has free or cheap parking the rate might work out in your favor. Then you can just install the car seats once and not have to cart them around and install in cabs.

Not sure if you've made your decision but I'd like to weigh-in. Even with a family of 4, I would recommend renting a car. You can still checkout at noon on Friday. Driving to Coronado Island will take 1.5 hours at most, even with traffic. Or if you're not in a hurry, consider checking out South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa. You can easily spend 3+ hours here, especially if you add lunch.

I prefer the convenience of having my own car. And Southern California, unlike NYC or SF, doesn't have the best public transit. Also, parking is free at SD Zoo.

Not sure if you've made your decision but I'd like to weigh-in. Even with a family of 4, I would recommend renting a car. You can still checkout at noon on Friday. Driving to Coronado Island will take 1.5 hours at most, even with traffic. Or if you're not in a hurry, consider checking out South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa. You can easily spend 3+ hours here, especially if you add lunch.

I prefer the convenience of having my own car. And Southern California, unlike NYC or SF, doesn't have the best public transit. Also, parking is free at SD Zoo.

90 minutes at the most to get from Anaheim to Coronado? Just the 15 mile stretch between Oceanside and Encinitas can take 40 minutes to an hour in rush hour. All bets are off on a holiday weekend.

Alright my bad. I guess I drive with a bit of a lead foot...:car: So with traffic, about 2 hours. Count on more for weekend traffic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter