Traveling with two mobility devices

xipetotec

DIS Veteran
Hello, my wife has two mobility devices. A fold up wheelchair and a walker with wheels. She uses both depending on the scenario. I'm looking to find out what airlines tend to do with that if we need to travel with both. I *assume* one gets checked as luggage, which is fine. I am really just looking to know how that works and what folks' experience is with that. She only needs ONE of the two to get to the plane/board/deboard etc. So checking one as luggage is not a problem, but want to be sure that's what they do. ( and what fees look like for something like that )

Thanks!

I would suggest contacting your airline directly.
I can only tell you what I would think would happen is that you'd bring both to the gate and potentially gate check both or at leas the wheelchair and then use the walker to enter the plane and then have them store it for you.

Hello, my wife has two mobility devices. A fold up wheelchair and a walker with wheels. She uses both depending on the scenario. I'm looking to find out what airlines tend to do with that if we need to travel with both. I *assume* one gets checked as luggage, which is fine. I am really just looking to know how that works and what folks' experience is with that. She only needs ONE of the two to get to the plane/board/deboard etc. So checking one as luggage is not a problem, but want to be sure that's what they do. ( and what fees look like for something like that )

Thanks!

Maybe say one is for you and one is for her. Then both should be free and could both be gate checked.

I flew with both my elderly parents last year and we had both a wheelchair and a rollator. My Dad was in our wheelchair and my Mom pushed her rollator until we could get an airline wheelchair for her too. I am the one that actually pushed the rollator through most of the airport with carry ons sitting on top of it. We did have a snafu when we arrived in MCO (3 people needing wheelchair assistance off our plane and only 1 person sent to help). The airport person actually pushed my Dad and another lady in the airport wheelchairs and I pushed my Mom in our chair. The airport worker finagled the rollator in a way that my Dad could onto it from the wheelchair to have that move along with us too. I am pretty sure the 5 of us (Mom, Dad, me, airport worker, and other lady) looked a bit like a circus going through the terminal to the faux-rail to baggage claim.

Thanks!

Contact your airline directly. Most airlines have a "special needs desk" or a "mobility advisor" or something similar. Speak with a human, and ask what the policy is regarding bringing multiple devices.

In the US, domestic airlines must fly your personal medical equipment for free. There should be no fees. You can bring a suitcase full of medical equipment and supplies - just do not include *anything* in that bag that is not clearly a medical device or medical supply - otherwise they can (and will) charge for the bag.

I believe in your scenario, you will be advised to bring both devices to the gate, however it is possible that one of the devices will be checked through with luggage. Regardless of how it happens, both devices should fly free - but do double check that with the airline.

Just a bit of advice: grab some Velcro One-Wrap from Walmart or Amazon (I personally like the 1" width) and cut off a strip long enough to help hold each of the devices securely closed while in the cargo hold. Even "gate checked" items are placed in a cargo hold; it's just a hold that is reserved for items that folks brought to the plane door, and luggage that won't fit inside the cabin. Making sure that the devices will stay securely closed in the fold will help lessen the chance of damage. It goes without saying that you should remove any and all items that could get lost or fall off before you arrive at the airport. It can be fun to decorate a mobility device (guilty of it myself) but the baggage handlers are not too concerned with making sure that the battery operated lights are treated gingerly; stuff gets shuffled in there kind of randomly, and so plan accordingly.

Let us know if we can help in any other way - have a great trip!

Contact your airline directly. Most airlines have a "special needs desk" or a "mobility advisor" or something similar. Speak with a human, and ask what the policy is regarding bringing multiple devices.

In the US, domestic airlines must fly your personal medical equipment for free. There should be no fees. You can bring a suitcase full of medical equipment and supplies - just do not include *anything* in that bag that is not clearly a medical device or medical supply - otherwise they can (and will) charge for the bag.

I believe in your scenario, you will be advised to bring both devices to the gate, however it is possible that one of the devices will be checked through with luggage. Regardless of how it happens, both devices should fly free - but do double check that with the airline.

Just a bit of advice: grab some Velcro One-Wrap from Walmart or Amazon (I personally like the 1" width) and cut off a strip long enough to help hold each of the devices securely closed while in the cargo hold. Even "gate checked" items are placed in a cargo hold; it's just a hold that is reserved for items that folks brought to the plane door, and luggage that won't fit inside the cabin. Making sure that the devices will stay securely closed in the fold will help lessen the chance of damage. It goes without saying that you should remove any and all items that could get lost or fall off before you arrive at the airport. It can be fun to decorate a mobility device (guilty of it myself) but the baggage handlers are not too concerned with making sure that the battery operated lights are treated gingerly; stuff gets shuffled in there kind of randomly, and so plan accordingly.

Let us know if we can help in any other way - have a great trip!
What a great tip about using velcro strips to make sure nothing gets damaged! Thank you!!!
Every time I bring the transport chair the detachable leg rests fall off in the cargo hold. They fold back and snap into place for storage and if I wrap with velcro, they should stay put even with the rough handling.

One of the tricks I’d use at work with Velcro would be to fold the loop strip of Velcro (non grip side) in half length-wise, make a small cut so when you u fold it, there is a an opening/slit. Wrap if around the device you want to keep closed, insert the end of the strip through the opening so the loop-side is facing out. Take a strip of adhesive back hook Velcro (the grippy side) and fold the adhesive side on to itself and stick it onto the loop Velcro. You should then be able to really snugg the Velcro up and keep whatever you need to securely in place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter