Traveller's cheques

scoobie's m

Earning My Ears
I know that $ travellers cheques are accepted as cash in and around the tourist areas in Orlando, but are they accepted elsewhere? We are spending some time in Anna Maria in Dec/January which I believe is off the main tourist track. Would they be accepted in the stores and restaurants around there?

Hi Scoobie'm - yep, $ Traveller Cheques are accepted all over Florida (in fact I think all over the USA) and is treated just like currency. You hand over your cheque - you get currency in change.

I have to say - they are not so keen on the higher denominations, so we always try to get 10's, 20's and 50's and avoid $100 bills if we can.

Hope this helps and welcome to the DIS :) :) :)

I have been to Anna Marie Island and it is just stunning.

Just one tip - make sure you have your passport on hand when cashing a travellers cheque, the Americans are very hot on ID and my ask you for it, especially if the cheques are for larger amounts.

Scoobie's M,

Totally agree with Janice but sometimes you do get asked for additional ID as well, I did at Busch Gardens, I've sorted out one of those new photo driving licences - excellent, well apart from the 2 dodgy photos that is - ha ha.

Greg

;)

Yes .... you may get asked for ID. I have only been asked once, and that was when changing up a $100 bill but if you are a bit of the beaten track, then it is a possibility. I wouldnt say Anna Maria Island is off the beaten track = just very peaceful and a pefectly beautiful place. ;)

The new Driving licenses are great for ID - saves traipsing round with your passport, but you must remember to take the Paper section with you too for when you pick up your Hire Car - they wont let you have the car without both sections.

The only time that we have ever been asked for ID when cashing travellers cheques was at Orlando Airport in the bookshop just before we flew home - couldn't believe that it was the only time in three weeks we had been asked for it !!!

The most likely place to be asked for i.d. whatever your age ,when cashing a T.C. is in places like McD's, Food Courts and shops selling teen clothing (not the big stores) this being the most likely places for people to pass stolen cheques, apparently.
Carol

Hi

We were in a small town in the USA and we got refused as we had no I.D. on us at the time as we dont walk around with our passport.

We also had a problem getting petrol, again no I.D. and they didnt use C.C. without a pin number, but my UK pin number didnt' work.

Small towns seem very careful, must be lots of crime with C.C. and vouchers

ANNIE :)

I have used TCs in Ohio with no problem but I cannot remeber if I was asked for ID or not. Photo driving licenses are a good alternative to passports for ID and smaller to carry as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter