Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a question for those who support this policy.......

Would you report dog poo on walkways? Loud barking? Dogs in unauthorized areas?
I'm curious.
Probably not b/c I don’t worry about what other ppl do unless it’s obviously dangerous or it directly effects me & the ppl refuse to stop if I ask them to stop whatever it is. But that’s how I always handle rule violators of any type.

Nothing to do with God...I believe most that are against the pet rule have experience in our own neighborhoods. I know in mine, lots of non-Floridians, don't care if they pick up poop, when they do don't take it home, and keep dogs on those awful leashes that are retractable. Children are NOT pets but yes, some parents ignore their kids, but they have been going to WDW longer than pets. We don't want to have to deal with that on our vacation. PERIOD. Don't like unruly kids...do as some here have suggested about people not liking others bringing pets...stay home. Done.

I see you conveniently skipped over the part of my post where I said I don't focus on those things. I don't know why I'm surprised. I will continue to go to Disney and enjoy it because I don't allow trivial things such as kids throwing tantrums to ruin my vacation. Difference is I can't avoid those children...you can avoid the dog friendly resorts. And guess what? You DO have to deal with dogs on your vacation if you stay there. PERIOD. Disney makes the rules...not you or I.

That's the problem. Most people on their vacation don't want to deal with reporting violations. I get it. I feel upset now. Will I look the other way when I'm trying to enjoy myself on vacation? I don't know for sure. Maybe?

Yep. Just using the Boardwalk area because that is the area being referred to, what is the likelihood people are going to stop what they are doing and go report an issue? We just stayed at the Boardwalk a couple of weeks and there weren't really CMs around the boardwalk area except for the ones in a shop or restaurant. I just don't seeing people stopping what they are doing, especially if they are headed to the parks or a restaurant to go to Yacht Club to complain. Also if guests are from Beach Club or Boardwalk, they may not realize that dogs have a certain area to be in and that they are not following the rules of having a pet on property or that the Yacht Club is the resort to issue a complaint.

My God, you would think that with the way people are talking here that the majority of pet owners are irresponsible, disrespectful, entitled people. I see quite a few "bad" parents at Disney. It would be easy for me to assume that most parents are irresponsible, disrespectful, entitled people. But the "good" ones don't stand out. You see the kid throwing a tantrum and the parents ignoring them...not the 20 other parents who told their children to stop. If you see a single pile of poop that should have been picked up you can choose to assume that dog owners are irresponsible or you could realize that 20 other piles of poop were picked up right before it. It's all in how you see it. I choose to assume that the vast majority are good, respectful people otherwise I would drive myself crazy.

I seriously can't wait to fast forward a few months from now when people see that this isn't the issue they are making it out to be. Hardly anybody wants to go to Disney with their dogs.

Also, what are you people feeding your dogs that they poop so much??
Maybe it depends on the breed. I never thought about it until you said something. In my college days I had a whippet and she would only go once, MAYBE twice per day. The lab I had after. Holy mother of God that dog took a dump every single time we went out 5-6 times per day and I fed them both eukanuba (this was back when it was actually a good dog food). Good grief that was 20 years ago.

A copy of the waiver document which guests need to sign when they check dogs in to hotels: http://www.portorleans.org/Disney's-Port-Orleans-Resort-Riverside_Pet-Agreement_13-Oct-2017.pdf

A few interesting new bits of information - accurate for Port Orleans Riverside specifically. Some of these don't seem to tie in very well with details that guest relations have been giving out during phone calls, but the following is what is actually being applied at the resort as of Saturday 21 Oct:
  • So far, the room assignment department at Port Orleans Riverside has not been given any specific directions from Walt Disney World management to indicate that they should enforce the accommodation of all dogs into building 24 only, so they are still expecting that existing booking for other room categories will be assigned to one of the original four dog-friendly areas (buildings 15, 24, 80 and 95 on the map). Building 24 will definitely be their preferred choice wherever possible though. For example, if a guest had booked a Royal River View Room room six months ago, and they now state that they wish to bring a dog with them, they will be assigned a room in building 95 close to the originally marked Dog Relief area on the Dog Friendly Locations map. Similarly, someone who originally booked a Preferred Location room would be placed in building 15.
  • Any guest who has expressed a wish to be located away from dogs will be assigned a room as far away as possible from those original four designated areas.
  • As far as common areas go, at the moment dogs will be permitted - under control and on leashes - in all common areas of the resort except for Food & Beverage locations (such as Boatwright's Dining Hall, the food court and presumably the River Roost Lounge) and the fenced pool areas. The lobby and even merchandise shop are fine, as are all the public pathways. This policy is covered by the wording in point 12 of the waiver document.
  • The maximum seven hour 'alone-time' rule will be mostly left to guests' honesty, but in cases where there is concern the electronic door-lock system can be interrogated remotely to prove how long a room has been left unattended. Similarly, Disney are aware that there may be situations where the required 30-minute return time to attend to a barking dog may potentially be difficult to enforce when guests are away from the hotel.
As before, the information above is correct at the time of posting, but could all change again before long!

Andre

Last edited:
But (unless you’re already booked & can’t switch or don’t want to which I ageee sucks), you are not likely to hear barking dogs if you’re not in YC, FW, AoA, & POR.

I agree, and to be clear I will not be staying at those resorts now. Depending on how much Disney enforces the rules, I might not visit the Epcot area resorts as much, which makes me sad.

In any case, I still oppose the policy because of the people it does negatively affect. It probably won't be me that gets bitten or kept awake, but I still don't want to see that happening to anyone. The question on this poll is whether or not you support the policy. I do not, and I'm listing my reasons why. I'm also concerned that Disney will expand the policy, so I'm expressing my concerns now (not just here, to Disney). Disney has expressed surprise by how many people are opposing the new policy. That's probably because they previously only heard from people requesting that dogs be allowed. Nobody else thought to weigh in about it, because we didn't know the option was on the table. Now we know.

That said, if Disney were to isolate the dog-friendly areas (preferably at 1 or 2 completely pet-friendly resorts), I'd personally feel a lot more comfortable with this.

A copy of the waiver document which guests need to sign when they check dogs in to hotels: http://www.portorleans.org/Disney's-Port-Orleans-Resort-Riverside_Pet-Agreement_13-Oct-2017.pdf

A few interesting new bits of information - accurate for Port Orleans Riverside specifically. Some of these don't seem to tie in very well with details that guest relations have been giving out during phone calls, but the following is what is actually being applied at the resort as of Saturday 21 Oct:
  • So far, the room assignment department at Port Orleans Riverside has not been given any specific directions from Walt Disney World management to indicate that they should enforce the accommodation of all dogs into building 24 only, so they are still expecting that existing booking for other room categories will be assigned to one of the original four dog-friendly areas (buildings 15, 24, 80 and 95 on the map). Building 24 will definitely be their preferred choice wherever possible though. For example, if a guest had booked a Royal River View Room room six months ago, and they now state that they wish to bring a dog with them, they will be assigned a room in building 95 close to the originally marked Dog Relief area on the Dog Friendly Locations map.
  • Any guest who has expressed a wish to be located away from dogs will be assigned a room as far away as possible from those original four designated areas.
  • As far as common areas go, at the moment dogs will be permitted - under control and on leashes - in all common areas of the resort except for Food & Beverage locations (such as Boatwright's Dining Hall, the food court and presumably the River Roost Lounge) and the fenced pool areas. The lobby and even merchandise shop are fine, as are all the public pathways. This policy is covered by the wording in point 12 of the waiver document.
  • The maximum seven hour 'alone-time' rule will be mostly left to guests' honesty, but in cases where there is concern the electronic door-lock system can be interrogated remotely to prove how long a room has been left unattended. Similarly, Disney are aware that there may be situations where the required 30-minute return time to attend to a barking dog may potentially be difficult to enforce when guests are away from the hotel.
As before, the information above is correct at the time of posting, but could all change again before long!

Andre
Thank you for providing that link.

• So far, the room assignment department at Port Orleans Riverside has not been given any specific directions from Walt Disney World management to indicate that they should enforce the accommodation of all dogs into building 24 only, so they are still expecting that existing booking for other room categories will be assigned to one of the original four dog-friendly areas (buildings 15, 24, 80 and 95 on the map). Building 24 will definitely be their preferred choice wherever possible though. For example, if a guest had booked a Royal River View Room room six months ago, and they now state that they wish to bring a dog with them, they will be assigned a room in building 95 close to the originally marked Dog Relief area on the Dog Friendly Locations map.

Andre

So basically, as of right now, dogs are allowed everywhere, including any hotel room, except fenced in pool areas and restaurants. Wow. :sad2:

I do hope those that support this policy understand why those of us who don't support the policy don't want this to spread to the rest of the resorts.

So basically, as of right now, dogs are allowed everywhere, including any hotel room, except fenced in pool areas and restaurants. Wow. :sad2:

I do hope those that support this policy understand why those of us who don't support the policy don't want this to spread to the rest of the resorts.
I completely understand not wanting it to spread.

Here is a question for those who support this policy.......

Would you report dog poo on walkways? Loud barking? Dogs in unauthorized areas?
I'm curious.

I've spent time in 3rd world, poverty stricken countries. I can assure you that poop on a walkway isn't the end of the world.

I've seen humans changing their children's diapers on tables in restaurants in Epcot. I've seen a family throw a pile of napkins in the middle of Main Street with a trash can no further than 5 feet away. Humans can be pigs. Disney knows this and employs people to clean up after the pigs (unfortunately, rudeness is just something we have to deal with in life).

Personally, my dog is probably cleaner than some humans and we are super respectful of others so you won't be finding my pup's poop on your walk to Epcot. :)

Just for those who for whatever reason are unable to look at the link here are some answers to a few questions. As the previous poster mentioned the paperwork is for POR and the information can be updated.

~Regarding liability:
18. I release Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., Disney Destinations, LLC, Disney Vacation Development, Inc., Disney Vacation Club Management Corp., and their respective parent, subsidiary and other affiliated or related companies, and the officers, directors, employees, agents, contractors, sub-contractors, representatives, successors, assigns and volunteers of each of the foregoing entities (the "Released Parties") from any and all liability for any injury and/or damage suffered by my pet. I agree that I assume full responsibility for any injury or damage caused or alleged to be caused by my pet and incurred or alleged to be incurred by any guest, employee, contractor or invitee of the hotel. I agree to release, indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any and all alleged or actual losses, claims, damages, liabilities, costs and expenses (including attorneys' fees and court costs) suffered by the Released Parties or asserted by any other hotel guest, invitee, employee, contractor or other person arising out of or in connection with my pet's stay at the hotel, including from any alleged negligence of the Released Parties.

~For those wondering just exactly what vaccinnations Disney is looking at:
16. I understand that all pets must have up to date vaccinations and inoculations and I must be able to show records of such vaccinations and inoculations upon request. Requirements: DHPPv/DA2PPv, Rabies and Bordetella.

~For those wondering about housekeeping:
15. I agree to contact the Housekeeping department to arrange for a convenient time to service my room. The hotel will not attempt to service the room if I am not present and my pet is in the room. As well as 6. I must always display a Pluto’s Do Not Disturb sign to alert Cast Members that a pet is in residence inside a guest room.

~For those wondering about lack of size and breed restrictions:
3. I understand and agree that the hotel retains the right to exclude my pet if, in the hotel's sole discretion, my pet is considered dangerous by reason of size, disposition or is likely to frighten or harm other guests of the hotel. I agree that at all times while on hotel property I will ensure my pet complies with all relevant laws and regulations. I agree that if I do not adhere to these policies, I will be required to board my pet at my own expense. (I do implore people to not just go up to the front desk and say "I saw a _____{insert whatever breed}" and demand it be removed without the dog having done nothing wrong.)

~For those wondering about cost aspect keep this part below in mind:
2. I understand that additional fees may apply if any damage is found in the room upon check out. I agree to accept full responsibility for any and all damages and/or soiling caused by my pet during my stay, as determined within the sole discretion of the hotel. I agree that the costs for the repair and/or additional cleaning requirements (including labor) will be charged accordingly to my hotel folio. (If anyone has stayed at a place with a refundable deposit you probably were more careful with how you treated things. This additional charges may weigh on a dog owner's mind when considering taking their dog to stay with them while on vacation.)

~I found this part interesting:
10. I agree to provide the hotel with my cell phone number enabling them to reach me in case I am not in the room and my pet is creating a disturbance. Should the hotel need to relocate my pet, all costs associated with the relocation of my pet will be charged accordingly to my hotel folio.

Last edited:

You summed it up well. Overall it appears to be a thoughtless policy.

Last edited:

Andre

Thanks for posting this, Andre! Very interesting read!

A few things of note:

13. I understand that pets are not permitted on any furniture anywhere on the premises.

I'm assuming this means only in public areas like the lobby? Or, are guests supposed to keep pets off the furniture in the resort rooms too? That seems impossible to me. Their wording of "anywhere on the premises" is interesting.

14. I understand that the bathing and grooming of pets is not permitted in the guest room.

I didn't even consider the idea of people giving their dogs baths in the tub. I guess it's good they spelled it out as a no-no! :crazy2::rotfl:

I appreciate that. Not all policy supporters are supportive of this. So thanks! :goodvibes
I'm not a supporter nor an opposer. As was an option in another poll "I couldn't care less either way". But FWIW I've always understood why people wouldn't want it to be expanded. I discussed with another poster regarding room occupancy issues, etc. You don't have to be for or against something to get that. And to be honest rather than become more polorizing and saying 'supporters' it could be said 'not all individuals in general'. I would love for more peace rather than more angst at this point.

So basically, as of right now, dogs are allowed everywhere, including any hotel room, except fenced in pool areas and restaurants.

No, at Riverside at least, rooms for dogs are primarily going to be in building 24. There may be a very few guests that might need to be assigned to a different specific group of rooms (in 15, 80 or 95 only) if their booking category requires it, but certainly not "any hotel room". It does seem, however, that dogs - under proper control and on leashes - will be allowed on the walkway paths and in the non-food public areas, yes. I assume the same sort of rules will apply to the other dog-friendly resorts, but I can only vouch for what is currently the ruling at Riverside.

Andre

Just for those who for whatever reason are unable to look at the link here are some answers to a few questions. As the previous poster mentioned the paperwork is for POR and the information can be updated.

~Regarding liability:
18. I release Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., Disney Destinations, LLC, Disney Vacation Development, Inc., Disney Vacation Club Management Corp., and their respective parent, subsidiary and other affiliated or related companies, and the officers, directors, employees, agents, contractors, sub-contractors, representatives, successors, assigns and volunteers of each of the foregoing entities (the "Released Parties") from any and all liability for any injury and/or damage suffered by my pet. I agree that I assume full responsibility for any injury or damage caused or alleged to be caused by my pet and incurred or alleged to be incurred by any guest, employee, contractor or invitee of the hotel. I agree to release, indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any and all alleged or actual losses, claims, damages, liabilities, costs and expenses (including attorneys' fees and court costs) suffered by the Released Parties or asserted by any other hotel guest, invitee, employee, contractor or other person arising out of or in connection with my pet's stay at the hotel, including from any alleged negligence of the Released Parties.

~For those wondering just exactly what vaccinnations Disney is looking at:
16. I understand that all pets must have up to date vaccinations and inoculations and I must be able to show records of such vaccinations and inoculations upon request. Requirements: DHPPv/DA2PPv, Rabies and Bordetella.

~For those wondering about housekeeping:
15. I agree to contact the Housekeeping department to arrange for a convenient time to service my room. The hotel will not attempt to service the room if I am not present and my pet is in the room. As well as 6. I must always display a Pluto’s Do Not Disturb sign to alert Cast Members that a pet is in residence inside a guest room.

~For those wondering about lack of size and breed restrictions:
3. I understand and agree that the hotel retains the right to exclude my pet if, in the hotel's sole discretion, my pet is considered dangerous by reason of size, disposition or is likely to frighten or harm other guests of the hotel. I agree that at all times while on hotel property I will ensure my pet complies with all relevant laws and regulations. I agree that if I do not adhere to these policies, I will be required to board my pet at my own expense. (I do implore people to not just go up to the front desk and say "I saw a _____{insert whatever breed}" and demand it be removed without the dog having done nothing wrong.)

~For those wondering about cost aspect keep this part below in mind:
2. I understand that additional fees may apply if any damage is found in the room upon check out. I agree to accept full responsibility for any and all damages and/or soiling caused by my pet during my stay, as determined within the sole discretion of the hotel. I agree that the costs for the repair and/or additional cleaning requirements (including labor) will be charged accordingly to my hotel folio. (If anyone has stayed at a place with a refundable deposit you probably were more careful with how you treated things. This additional charges may weigh on a dog owner's mind when considering taking their dog to stay with them while on vacation.)

~I found this part interesting:
10. I agree to provide the hotel with my cell phone number enabling them to reach me in case I am not in the room and my pet is creating a disturbance. Should the hotel need to relocate my pet, all costs associated with the relocation of my pet will be charged accordingly to my hotel folio.

Since we all agree Disney needs to tighten up the rules....#3... if you retain the right to restrict why not state it up front ? And I am sure an owners lawyer would have a field day with not stating this up front. iMO not any better a definition than what originally came out

• So far, the room assignment department at Port Orleans Riverside has not been given any specific directions from Walt Disney World management to indicate that they should enforce the accommodation of all dogs into building 24 only, so they are still expecting that existing booking for other room categories will be assigned to one of the original four dog-friendly areas (buildings 15, 24, 80 and 95 on the map). Building 24 will definitely be their preferred choice wherever possible though. For example, if a guest had booked a Royal River View Room room six months ago, and they now state that they wish to bring a dog with them, they will be assigned a room in building 95 close to the originally marked Dog Relief area on the Dog Friendly Locations map. Similarly, someone who originally booked a Preferred Location room would be placed in building 15.

Andre
Thank you for the update, Andre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter