*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Where do you get tires put on your trailer...? Your friendly neighborhood tire shop or an RV Shop. i Suspect they can do it at the local tire shop... but may have to swap them with the trailer on the ground with a jack.. vs a lift??

I have always used my local tire shop. They've been taking care of me for over 25 years (up to 6 vehicles have been in the family fleet if you include the trailer) so why go elsewhere?

I give them the size/type and they give me a couple options.

Bama Ed

I have always used my local tire shop. They've been taking care of me for over 25 years (up to 6 vehicles have been in the family fleet if you include the trailer) so why go elsewhere?

I give them the size/type and they give me a couple options.

Bama Ed

Good to have somebody like that. Like having a preferred mechanic.

Shows how they work a weigh station. Most RV's do not need to stop. But at 7:22 you see the scan of an RV being towed by HDT which do need to stop.

Chris,

Nice video. Fascinating to see the technology built into the new scales.

You said a coupe of times you have to stop at the scales in Florida. Is that a Florida specific thing? When I was racing and pulling a 48 ft enclosed gooseneck that weighted a little over 20k, I talked to the Il State Police who man the weigh stations and he kind of laughed and said, if we aren't commercial, they don't want us bothering them. Missouri told my team mate the same thing when he bought the toter. 40 ft "RV" on a Freightliner class 8 chassis pulling a 40 ft, 13.5 ft tall tag stacker trailer. As soon as he put "Not for Hire" and "RV" on it, they aren't interested and don't want you clogging up the scales.

j

Chris,

Nice video. Fascinating to see the technology built into the new scales.

You said a coupe of times you have to stop at the scales in Florida. Is that a Florida specific thing? When I was racing and pulling a 48 ft enclosed gooseneck that weighted a little over 20k, I talked to the Il State Police who man the weigh stations and he kind of laughed and said, if we aren't commercial, they don't want us bothering them. Missouri told my team mate the same thing when he bought the toter. 40 ft "RV" on a Freightliner class 8 chassis pulling a 40 ft, 13.5 ft tall tag stacker trailer. As soon as he put "Not for Hire" and "RV" on it, they aren't interested and don't want you clogging up the scales.

j

The problem became, guys who are commercial, transporting RV from factory to the dealership realized, hey if I leave off my numbers I don't have to stop. Well now with HDT's becoming more popular, if you blow a scale now they most likely will chase you down, and are going to be in a bad mood. At that point they can measure your rig, and a lot of guys are over length. Now you have to wait for a commercial vehicle to come move you. Yea, not worth the risk, i roll thru, they see the private truck on the side, no ifta stickers, and my regular plate, they usually roll me thru. I did get weighed on the way to Alabama last year.
So the signage for most weigh stations, in most of the states say all trucks must enter....I am a truck. In the video you see trucks come in to the scale bobtail. We are looking at prepass, it would allow us to skip the weigh stations and would also bill our tolls. The nice part there is they do all the toll systems, so I do not need a separate one for PA, then for FL/GA.

Vince,

Lots of guys we raced with used these. Not sure if they were that brand, but definitely that style. We didn't use them with the enclosed trailer, it was too hard to get them attached on the sides, but they looked like they worked well on an open trailer.

j

Thanks, I was wanting to get something that would work for securing the vehicle without trying to crawl under and finding a spot on the frame. I was sitting here today trying to figure out how to secure the car to a trailer that had no straps and came across these.

I'll open the trailer tire can of worms. With the incident on the way home from GSP (destroyed brake wiring and 2 LP gas lines), I'll be replacing the factory "Constancy" tires after less than 3 years and still lots of good looking tread (when it stays attached to the actual tire). It's been a while since I bought camper trailer tires. A lot of the RV sites recommend Goodyear G614 RST or G670 RV. The 614 comes in a size that will work (235/85R16- originals are 235/80R16), but they are load range G rated. I doubt the factory aluminum wheels are rated for that. The 670 doesn't even come in my sizes and is Load H rated. Tire Rack and others are really pushing the "new" Goodyear Endurance. I assume this replaced the Marathon which I used to advocate for, but went to trash a while back.

Anybody know anything about the Goodyear Endurance or have another trailer tire they recommend? looking for 235/80 or 85R16 load range E. The "85" should fit. They are 1 inch larger in diameter, but have over 200lbs higher max load and rotate less being taller (less heat).

j

Last edited:
I'll open the trailer tire can of worms. With the incident on the way home from GSP (destroyed brake wiring and 2 LP gas lines), I'll be replacing the factory "Trail Master" tires after less than 3 years and still lots of good looking tread (when it stays attached to the actual tire). It's been a while since I bought camper trailer tires. A lot of the RV sites recommend Goodyear G614 RST or G670 RV. The 614 comes in a size that will work (235/85R16- originals are 235/80R16), but they are load range G rated. I doubt the factory aluminum wheels are rated for that. The 670 doesn't even come in my sizes and is Load H rated. Tire Rack and others are really pushing the "new" Goodyear Endurance. I assume this replaced the Marathon which I used to advocate for, but went to trash a while back.

Anybody know anything about the Goodyear Endurance or have another trailer tire they recommend? looking for 235/80 or 85R16 load range E. The "85" should fit. They are 1 inch larger in diameter, but have over 200lbs higher max load and rotate less being taller (less heat).

j
I couldn't give an educated opinion on the Goodyear tires. I went cheap, but I also went from a load range D to load range E. The tires on my 5er are 225/75r15.

I'll open the trailer tire can of worms. With the incident on the way home from GSP (destroyed brake wiring and 2 LP gas lines), I'll be replacing the factory "Trail Master" tires after less than 3 years and still lots of good looking tread (when it stays attached to the actual tire). It's been a while since I bought camper trailer tires. A lot of the RV sites recommend Goodyear G614 RST or G670 RV. The 614 comes in a size that will work (235/85R16- originals are 235/80R16), but they are load range G rated. I doubt the factory aluminum wheels are rated for that. The 670 doesn't even come in my sizes and is Load H rated. Tire Rack and others are really pushing the "new" Goodyear Endurance. I assume this replaced the Marathon which I used to advocate for, but went to trash a while back.

j

My original tires on my trailer were Goodyear Endurance. I can say this, they lasted the customary 5 years. At 5 years and 4 months (after returning from GSP) one of them bubbled.

I was planning on replacing at 5 years anyway. I went with cheap gladiators as replacement as I am contemplating a change in the near future.

I hear lots of good reviews on Maxxis and especially on Greenball tires.

My original tires on my trailer were Goodyear Endurance. they lasted the customary 5 years.

I hear lots of good reviews on Maxxis and especially on Greenball tires.
Good to know on the Endurance. I took my Explorer in for new tires after work tonight (had that planned when we returned before the trailer issues). I asked at the tire store about the GY Endurance and he said they haven't been out long enough to have a history yet. I think I'll keep looking. I have also read good things about Maxxis. It seems all the "Best" trailer tires are G rated. The Maxxis 8008 comes in an E.

FWIW- The Sailun 637T is consistently coming up on "best" lists and it's half the price of the Goodyear 614.

I took a look at my wheels tonight. The good news is they are rated to 110 psi. That is a load range G tire, so I'll be bumping up. That will increase the load for the tire from about 3400 lbs/tire (below the axle max of 7000 lbs) to just over 4000 lbs/tire. The trailer loaded, ready to roll weighs about 14,500 with just under 3,000 on the hitch, so everything is well under max capacity.

I think I'll try to find the Sailun and see what 4 of them will run. Autotire quoted me $330/tire for the Goodyear 614 in a 235X80R16 G.

I know there was conversation earlier about how to tell what load wheel you have. My Coachmen came with cast aluminum wheels. Molded into the back of the spokes are the wheel specs. Here are some pics. I have also had steel wheels where this is stamped on the inside of the wheel on the flat between the side beads.

The tire that blew didn't do the typical heat generated sidewall failure (I've had those and there isn't much left of the sidewall except some shredded rubber around the bead. This tire delaminated the tread. Almost like a retread failure. The tread was in one complete strip, wrapped between the brake back plate and the axle. That is what tore off the LP line and the brake wiring.

Tire (or what's left of it)
20180917_201302-1612x907.jpg

Wheel psi rating. (110 p.s.i.)

psi.jpg

Max Load (3860)

Max Load.jpg

Wheel size (16X6J) (J is the bead profile)

Wheel size.jpg

j

If you can side strap on your trailer they are quick and easy. I converted my trailer to chain box (tow truck style) 8 point tie down. You can get them to work with D ring, but you'll need at least 3 D ring per side on the outside to make that happen.

This change made it easy for us to tie down golf carts too.

Just curious if any one has used a set of these tie downs before when towing a vehicle on a car trailer. Thoughts, suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/Vulcan-Class...own+straps&dpPl=1&dpID=51zWxbCypIL&ref=plSrch

Hello all i put the sailun"s on my last trailer that we just traded in and I bought them from SIMPLETIRE.COM I had them delivered to the local fedex and i installed them myself and put balancing beads in them. I plan on doing the same on our new unit

Thanks Ryan

Hello all i put the sailun"s on my last trailer that we just traded in and I bought them from SIMPLETIRE.COM
Thanks,

I ordered Sailuns on Tuesday from Simple Tire. Free shipping to my local tire store and I found a 10% discount code. I couldn't find a bad review on them. Went with a load range G. 235/80R16 G. $138/tire (after discount). Still have to pay the $20/tire to have them mounted and balanced, but I'm still quite happy with under $160 a piece.

j

Thanks,

I ordered Sailuns on Tuesday from Simple Tire. Free shipping to my local tire store and I found a 10% discount code. I couldn't find a bad review on them. Went with a load range G. 235/80R16 G. $138/tire (after discount). Still have to pay the $20/tire to have them mounted and balanced, but I'm still quite happy with under $160 a piece.

j

For a load range G tire that price is still not bad at all.

Thanks,

j
You will be amazed at the difference between the Sailun's and you current tires. If you can, just compare the thickness of the sidewalls and beads. BTW you tire guy is gonna hate you lol. There things are a beast to mount. Took two of us when I did mine, One running the tire machine and one with a huge tire iron assisting to get the bead over the wheel. They are that beefy. The fiver tows like a dream on these tires.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!