Trying to get 25 points... only Aulani available

Kim Gillihan

Kluvdisney
I am on the wait list for AKV, Aulani is the one he can get for me now.... thoughts?

Last edited:
Unless you actually need an extra 25 points, I wouldn't. No point in paying $4.5k to "save" a couple hundred dollars on APs which is the only real financial benefit.

I agree... if I recall, when you were first buying in, you were planning to use our AKV contract to bank/borrow a GV every 2-3 years. In which case, the savings on the APs would be worthless to you. Again, not just $4500 but then annual dues - not a lot of money, but enough to be annoying and not worth whatever perks you might get out of them. Which could be changed or taken away at any time.

Stay on the wait list. They are pushing Aulani for a reason. The reason being that it is taking forever to sell...

7 years and counting.

I wonder if the # of points matters? I was looking at getting 50pts direct at AKV (since I just bought a resale contract there), and my guide said it shouldn't be too hard to find me something before the cut-off, but I was also pretty firm about ONLY being interested in AKV.

Completely out of curiosity after hearing some of the reports from Sunday, I called and spoke to a guide yesterday around lunch about a 25 point add-on at AKV with December use year. He said that right now they were waitlisted, but he felt fairly confident that the points would come available before the Feb 25 deadline. This morning, around 9am, he called and said the waitlist came through, and he had 25 AKV points with a December use year. $171/pt and $108 closing cost, which would be more than I paid for my last 50 point add-on at AKV a little over 2 years ago. Ridiculous.

All of my points on all 3 of my resale contracts are grandfathered for benefits, so my call was strictly for information purposes...but, AKV 25 point add-ons can be available.

I wonder if the # of points matters? I was looking at getting 50pts direct at AKV (since I just bought a resale contract there), and my guide said it shouldn't be too hard to find me something before the cut-off, but I was also pretty firm about ONLY being interested in AKV.
interesting!!

Completely out of curiosity after hearing some of the reports from Sunday, I called and spoke to a guide yesterday around lunch about a 25 point add-on at AKV with December use year. He said that right now they were waitlisted, but he felt fairly confident that the points would come available before the Feb 25 deadline. This morning, around 9am, he called and said the waitlist came through, and he had 25 AKV points with a December use year. $171/pt and $108 closing cost, which would be more than I paid for my last 50 point add-on at AKV a little over 2 years ago. Ridiculous.

All of my points on all 3 of my resale contracts are grandfathered for benefits, so my call was strictly for information purposes...but, AKV 25 point add-ons can be available.
Thanks for the info!!! My uy is june.. not sure if that makes a difference!

I agree... if I recall, when you were first buying in, you were planning to use our AKV contract to bank/borrow a GV every 2-3 years. In which case, the savings on the APs would be worthless to you. Again, not just $4500 but then annual dues - not a lot of money, but enough to be annoying and not worth whatever perks you might get out of them. Which could be changed or taken away at any time.
yes, you are correct! The first issue is my original akv contract got taken by rofr and it was 300 points! So, I have add on itis... I really wanted to own blt for 11 month priority... but I am not even sure I need more points! My issue is I want to take everyone with me!! I am planning our big trip now for dec 2019 where I am banking and borrowing my 180 to use 3 years worth of points for this big trip but they won't all be like this.... so I could use 25 extra... My other issue is I want to go to aulani and we want to stay in 1 bed and up as a rule... I think I will tell the guide.. if akv comes up I will buy if not.. I won't.

yes, you are correct! The first issue is my original akv contract got taken by rofr and it was 300 points! So, I have add on itis... I really wanted to own blt for 11 month priority... but I am not even sure I need more points! My issue is I want to take everyone with me!! I am planning our big trip now for dec 2019 where I am banking and borrowing my 180 to use 3 years worth of points for this big trip but they won't all be like this.... so I could use 25 extra... My other issue is I want to go to aulani and we want to stay in 1 bed and up as a rule... I think I will tell the guide.. if akv comes up I will buy if not.. I won't.

Here's the thing - you have enough points for a 1BR at BLT, and LV rooms are really nice and available at 7 mo. For example - a 1BR std at BLT the last week of August (242 points) it not available for the whole week. That same week, a LV 1BR is, for 266 points. So even if you really want to stay at BLT in a 1BR and up - they are readily available at 7 mo and you already have enough points.

I managed to get 1br std for next week at 5-6 mo out by stalking and using the waitlist. It took a while, but it was doable. People cancel and drop days all the time. Don't buy into the hype. If you actually just need more points, resale is still going to be better and more cost effective.

Here's the thing - you have enough points for a 1BR at BLT, and LV rooms are really nice and available at 7 mo. For example - a 1BR std at BLT the last week of August (242 points) it not available for the whole week. That same week, a LV 1BR is, for 266 points. So even if you really want to stay at BLT in a 1BR and up - they are readily available at 7 mo and you already have enough points.

I managed to get 1br std for next week at 5-6 mo out by stalking and using the waitlist. It took a while, but it was doable. People cancel and drop days all the time. Don't buy into the hype. If you actually just need more points, resale is still going to be better and more cost effective.
gotcha... I think I agree... we will rarely be able to use the AP discount... All in all it doesn't make sense to spend so much money just to get a few discounts.. the thing is, I would love to travel at Christmas more and that was my reason for wanting 11 mo booking at another resort option.. but for now I am good. Thanks for making sense!

The Guide told me the # of points doesn't affect the order they go through the waitlist. There is a separate waitlist for each UY of each resort. If they do a ROFL and end up with 150 points for UY March at BLT, for example, and the first two people on the waitlist wanted 25 points each and the third wanted 150, they would not skip the first two to fill the 150 order -- they would fill the two 25 orders then have only 100 left and move on down the list.

I've been on the BLT list for my use year for two months and still am not near the top. Some resorts and use years move much more slowly than others.

I asked last week for 25 AKV for Sept UY I was put on a waitlist they came through on Monday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!