Twelve More Months W/out DH - Sigh.

Jynohn said:
Yes, he came home last Saturday :teeth:

The welcome home ceremony was great. We were supposed to wait until they had speeches from the captain, governor, etc. before we greeted our soldiers, but the captain made the mistake of releasing them from formation to go into the auditorium and after that there was no stopping the families from swarming the guys! :) So much for the speeches!

It's been wonderful having him home, and no re-adjustment issues so far. I keep waiting for them to happen since we had so many briefs about PTSD and reunion difficulties, but so far so good. The only problem so far is that I don't want to let him out of my sight! I still can't get it in my head that he is home for good and not just on R&R, and I want to spend every waking moment with him...

Keep your chin up, especially during the holidays, which I know will be really difficult. I am so thankful my husband is home in time for Thanksgiving, but can't stop thinking of the families who are not so lucky :(
I found it helped to break up the deployment into increments. Just count down until his R&R in May and it feels a little more manageable. I'll be keeping you and your husband in my thoughts!

Jynohn

Awesome. I'm so happy for you! :goodvibes

I'm hoping that the fast pace of the holiday season actually helps an entire month go by fast. After that, at least we'll be in the right year! Thank you for the nice thoughts. :flower3:

TottenKing said:
Awesome. I'm so happy for you! :goodvibes

I'm hoping that the fast pace of the holiday season actually helps an entire month go by fast. After that, at least we'll be in the right year! Thank you for the nice thoughts. :flower3:

Its not the same, but a very close family friend of ours (is more like a brother to me) was in Iraq for 8 months. We did the same as Jynohn said..we broke it down into little "milestones" We also have a family vacation in january, which he is coming with us--It was nice to have that to look forward to. We sent him care packages at least once a month and we would send something to do with the cruise in every one. Emailing helped alot as well..
He came home on Nov 17 and it was an amazing experience for my family to be at the airport when he got home as well. I also agree with Jynohn that the beginning and the end were the hardest part...even right up to the part where we KNEW the plane had landed and they were going through customs..he was so close, but we still had to wait!
I hope the time goes quickly for you, and i know the holiday season usually does..now you have the May R&R to look forward to!

Blueeyes101817 said:
I hope the time goes quickly for you, and i know the holiday season usually does..now you have the May R&R to look forward to!

Hey...thanks so much. It means a lot. :hug:

I am not a military wife but I wanted to tell you all that I apreciate all you do for our country. your family members are in my Prayers.

My heart and prayers are with all of you, and please know that we all thank you and your families for the sacrifices that you make. I was (am) a USMC wife (once a marine always a marine!) while my husband served the last 12 of his 26 year career. He served in Vietnam and Desert Storm, and although he was never gone for a year, we had our share of seperations. It never gets easy but you learn to cope the best that you can.

Please email or message me if you need any encouragement or just want to vent. Lean on your friends and the other spouses because they really can help. I hope time goes quickly until you are together again.

Here is a poem that I still proudly display in my kitchen

Recipe of a Military Wife

combine:
1 1/2 C. Patience
1 lb. courage
2/4 C. tolerance
dash of adventure

To above ingredients, add 2 lbs. elbow grease. Set alone for one year. Marinate frequently with salty tears. Sprinkle ever so lightly with money. Knead dough until payday. Season with international spices. Bake 20 years or until done.
Serve with Pride!

i just happened to pop in this site to. im sending prayers also to all of you. i just wanted to say my daughter who is 25 has been married 1 month, and her husband just left for kuwait (spell??) then she said he would be in iraq by xmas. she is also pregnant, we are so thrilled and excited, our first grandchild. but its so hard cause hes over there. but between our family, and his family ( he is 1 of 8 kids, so immed. family for him is 30!!!)yep. so we wil l all be keeping good care of her, shes had a few problems already, just starting to be able to really eat and feel good enough to go out.i know its not the same as having husband around, but we hope all will go well with the pregnancy and of COURSE all ok with him over in iraq. i wish they would all come home. i hope you guys dont mind my little note. thanks

Thanks, Dippy, Lookingforward, and Angel. :grouphug:

Dippy, congratulations on the grandchild!!! :sunny:

Hi, all. I want to send out a Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy Kwanzaa, etc. to all the families who, like mine, are celebrating but missing a loved one called away to military duty.

How is everyone holding up? With all our kids (four), things were so busy I'm really just now starting to really feel the absence. For me, the holiday has just underscored the things I miss the most...which are small.

My husband seemd to have a nice Christmas in Kuwait. He comes from a very large family with lots of aunts and uncles and his parents have a lot of friends who have known him all his life. He got a lot of presents and candy and managed to save the presents to open today. They had turkey and prime rib for dinner which is perfect for a big-time carnivore like him.

And I have to tell you the cutest thing...one of my kids' Christmas presents was a trip to Build-A-Bear workshop yesterday. Since my 18-month-old didn't really understand BABW, we picked her out. We got her this really velvet-y bear and dressed it in desert camo, a beret, and dog tags. We named it "Daddy." :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter