Twisney

wasn't there an unusually large deposit you had to put down in order to trail the nintendo gizmo? While it was "free", I remember like a $300 deposit to a credit card. I also recall many of the reviews and reviewers talking about that being a steep deposit... and the app while really cool was missing several of the simple concepts of social networking. It will take a build of people using it to be more effective, but once you have critical mass.. this is a scary cool app with lots of potential for pics, video, wait times, maps, times guide, etc. Change your metaphor from a vertical app to a platform. Much like the iPhone is changing the smart phone industry... twisney has the potential to tilt fan sites and info sites... it is revolutionary not evolutionary... significant in the difference there.

And the point of this app really is that you don;t have to sign up, you don;t have to pay, and works on any device that has web. This is significantly different than any app that precedes it.
A CC# was collected for the DMC, and guests were warned that if the unit wasn't returned then -- and only then -- would they be charged -- but there was no charge actually placed on the card. It was only taken to ensure that the unit was returned (and remember: the software used for the DMC was a prototype worth far more to Disney than $300). AFAIK all the DMC units were returned, no nobody was actually charged anything. One manager who was assigned to the DMC told me that the test wasn't about making money -- it was about collecting data and field-testing both the software and the hardware (i.e. battery-life). But I'm getting OT.

I agree that there was no social networking side to the DMC which is why -- as I've said -- Twisney intrigues me. I believe that the service will only work if it builds up enough users who would be in the parks at all times and willing to update the Twisney site constantly -- and that's going to be the hard part for Twisney.

BTW, WildeOscar: I have a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell. Explore the space.

I more than agree it is an up hill climb to get critical mass. And my comment on the deposit was only to imply, it was steep, not that anyone made money. Actually at this point Disney lost money on the project, and has a huge investment in the wireless infrastructure that is just being used for photopass at the moment.

I suspect that Disney learned a lesson that others have on custom apps on specialized devices... that monetizing for cost recovery is never going work as the start up cost is way higher than what people are willing to pay (wanna buy a satellite network? anyone remember iridium?) ... unless the app is so important as to justify a large cost and this app is not critical to a park visit, it is just nice to have. I think once enough people find out about it though, enough people carry a blackberry that it can work. Let's keep in mind that blackberry sells millions of devices a month, compared to iPhone's million in a year. so that is the platform that the device really need to be geared too, though the iPhone people make a lot more noise and iPhone apps are in vogue.

a couple more features on twisney, and I won't need to access any other site while in the park for all the info I like to have at my fingertips while in the park.

I agree that there was no social networking side to the DMC which is why -- as I've said -- Twisney intrigues me. I believe that the service will only work if it builds up enough users who would be in the parks at all times and willing to update the Twisney site constantly -- and that's going to be the hard part for Twisney.

But look at how many people are using it already? I assume it's a fairly new site and it's already catching on. I really do think it has the potential to take off.

I actually see both sides of this discussion quiet clearly.

As an early visitor to twisney.com, I immediately saw the potential waiting to be made a reality. But at the same time, there some very troubling signs in those early days. I won't go into gross detail, but it only takes one 'mal-intentioned' poster intentionally submitting erroneous information all day to really fudge up the works.

I still see more 'fun and interesting ideas' than I do roadblocks and concerns.. but I do have some of each as I consider what role it might play in my Disney internet time.

This thread is probably a better fit on our ThemeParks Community Board. I'll be moving it over there. Thanks

Knox

Let's keep in mind that blackberry sells millions of devices a month, compared to iPhone's million in a year. so that is the platform that the device really need to be geared too, though the iPhone people make a lot more noise and iPhone apps are in vogue.

While still not in the Blackberry neighborhood, iPhone sales for the first year were 6 million. iPhone 3G sold 1 million in it's first weekend (Fri/Sat/Sun). The projected total through 2008 is 10 million.

But who's counting. :goodvibes

This is great feedback, thanks everyone! It was neat to stumble upon this thread last night and see what everyone had to say about Twisney.com.

There are some comments, good and bad, that I felt should receive my feedback. Instead of clogging up this thread with my personal thoughts (I prefer to keep it your thoughts about Twisney), here's a link to the blog entry that discusses the topic:
http://www.twisney.com/home/Blog

Thanks again everyone! Keep on spreading the word.

- Scott, Twisney.com

Hello all,
Little late responding, but I am the creator of TipWit. (I picked the name tipwit to start with because it had 0 results in google, thats how I found this thread)

I was first to make this type of product, but have never had any actual users which are slightly important when they are providing the data. I have been emailing with Twisney and am considering merging most of my service into theirs (All but my theme park hours and parade times API)

Anyways... Anything I could do to get people to use TipWit over Twisney, or should I just give up?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter