Two person ECV

Selket

Been there - done that
For the first time I saw a two person ECV. I was at a local mall this weekend and they had them for rent. They didn't have regular ECV's - just the double ones! The person who rented it looked like a dad - who was riding in the back seat - and had his older teen son driving. I really couldn't tell if they rented it so the kid could motor around the busy mall? The thing is too large to really take into stores and try to shop.

This is a link to a website that sells one like it :
Two person ECV

@mamabunny you think I could park it in the hallway? :rotfl2: Can you imagine this at WDW? :scared: I know Disney wouldn't allow these but I wonder who does!

For the first time I saw a two person ECV. I was at a local mall this weekend and they had them for rent. They didn't have regular ECV's - just the double ones! The person who rented it looked like a dad - who was riding in the back seat - and had his older teen son driving. I really couldn't tell if they rented it so the kid could motor around the busy mall? The thing is too large to really take into stores and try to shop.

Two person ECV

@mamabunny you think I could park it in the hallway? :rotfl2: Can you imagine this at WDW? :scared: I know Disney wouldn't allow these but I wonder who does!
X I saw one at a campground in SC a year or so ago. A man and his wife used it to get around the campground.
I prefer my golf cart.

X I saw one at a campground in SC a year or so ago. A man and his wife used it to get around the campground.
I prefer my golf cart.
I haven't seen any in perso, but have seen some in campground pictures.
According to the specs on the website, it's 27 inches wide and 70 inches long. That's 18 inches longer than Disney's length allowance of 52 inches. It's not clear whether that is the total length including the basket or not.
IMG_2804.jpeg
It has a turning radius of 50 inches - I don't know where besides outside it would be possible to use something that takes that much space to turn. For comparison, most power wheelchairs have a turning radius on 30 inches or less. ECVs' turning radius is generally around 36 inches.

Top speed 15 mph. 40 mile range
Yeah. Noticed that.
my daughter's Permobil power chair has a top possible speed of 7.5 mph.
That's pretty fast, but practically standing still compared to that thing.
She has an indoor slower speed profile and a faster outdoor one. I think her top programmed outdoor speed is about 4.5 mph.

I picture that being used at some of those 60+ communities in Arizona, instead of a golf cart.

I can't imagine using that in Disney! Besides that, the driver seat just looks weird. LOL

I don't know where besides outside it would be possible to use something that takes that much space to turn. For comparison, most power wheelchairs have a turning radius on 30 inches or less. ECVs' turning radius is generally around 36 inches.
Yes it does seem like it's sized for the outdoors. We were at a large indoor outlet mall and it was busy but this kid wasn't having any trouble driving it. I felt like they rented it so the kid could drive it (the way kids ride those shopping mall trains) because they were just going up and down long stretches of the mall (kid was a good driver and slow although I know kids shouldn't operate these).

I'm surprised the mall decided to rent those vs. a regular ECV. Their mall page says: "Rent a Scoozer and experience effortless shopping and easy exploration with its 2-seat 4-wheel electric scooters. Located between Banana Republic and Kate Spade. It costs $39 to rent and use a Scoozer for the duration of your mall visit."

I did see one a few years ago, OUTSIDE the gates at Epcot. It caught my eye cause it looked so much like a motorcycle not a EVC, but we were on our way out and didn't hang around to see if they got in.

Hmm if I took off the basket, will it fit on a bus??????

I saw one in DCA a couple months ago. I did a double take at the time as I did not expect to see that sort of ecv, but it was a male driving with a younger woman in the back holding baby. Did not seem safe. No idea if they tried to get in any queues with the thing as it was just out on a main path that I saw it.

Two person ECV

Lord, child I think you are trying to drive me crazy 😂

Can you even imagine?

I get it - I suppose there is a use case for these; otherwise they wouldn't exist. But I live in real fear of a 2 person scooter at WDW, for many many reasons.

Y'all know how very much I love my TravelScoots - and they do offer a second seat that you can tow; you can see it here. There are places - including our local State Fair - where this is "legal" to use, and we have considered getting one. But I believe it would never be safe to use that option at Disney World, and even if was allowed in the rules, I would never try it.

I did see one a few years ago, OUTSIDE the gates at Epcot. It caught my eye cause it looked so much like a motorcycle not a EVC, but we were on our way out and didn't hang around to see if they got in.

Hmm if I took off the basket, will it fit on a bus??????
Just from looking at the one I saw, I think it is too long to fit on the bus.

Lord, child I think you are trying to drive me crazy 😂

Can you even imagine?

I get it - I suppose there is a use case for these; otherwise they wouldn't exist. But I live in real fear of a 2 person scooter at WDW, for many many reasons.

Y'all know how very much I love my TravelScoots - and they do offer a second seat that you can tow; you can see it here. There are places - including our local State Fair - where this is "legal" to use, and we have considered getting one. But I believe it would never be safe to use that option at Disney World, and even if was allowed in the rules, I would never try it.
The travelScoots is 22 lbs . WOW.

We saw a couple at Disney that the wife used a standard EVC and the husband has a "scooter in a box". Sort of the same basic frame, but it folded up in a nice box like figure. He used to it just not to get worn out. But the reason they just didn't get two EVC, was because they felt they would get split up a lot getting on transportation.

I saw one in DCA a couple months ago. I did a double take at the time as I did not expect to see that sort of ecv, but it was a male driving with a younger woman in the back holding baby. Did not seem safe. No idea if they tried to get in any queues with the thing as it was just out on a main path that I saw it.
It really couldn't be used inside anywhere that I can think of. Way, way too long and too big of a turning radius to make any turns in queues.
Doesnt seem safe to hold a baby on one.
The ADA does allow decisions to be made on whether or not to allow/ban different types of Other Powered Mobility Device (OPDMD). This is a screenshot of the ADA decision making/assessmend guidelines. Looks like multiple reasons to ban these.
IMG_2806.jpeg
I was joking about the bus. And yes, way to long.
Yep.
The double ECV looks like it might be longer than total length of the bus spots - even without the basket. And, there is no way it could make the turns to get onto the bus.
I don't know how someone would even transport it other than a trailer. We've got a Chrysler Pacifica wheelchair ramp van. I know the total width (including the mirrors) is 90 inches, so I don't think it would even fit sideways. And, even if it fit, it would require a huge space next to it to the van to get out and clear the ramp.

Reminds me of a sight ... at least one of them :rolleyes:

Magic Kingdom.
Fantasyland.
Leaving past Small World down hill to Haunted Mansion.
Before Tangled Bathrooms were there.
So there was stroller parking closer to Small World.
Lots of bushes just before going under CHH Bridge.

Man driving ECV.
Woman in Wheelchair.
Wheelchair was bungee corded to ECV.
Man driving FAST.
Woman flying behind him.
Took curve downhill.
TOO FAST.
She went zooming to right like a water skier behind a boat.
She was leaning right.
She came within inches of curb, all ready to pop over.
All my mind saw was her flying in air into the bushes.
She got lucky.

There is a reason Disney rules have restricted items, size limits, rider limits and speed limits.

Last edited:
On our last visit, we saw a large group *trying* to tow a double stroller + a foldable wagon (don't get me started - that wagon was full of packages and personal items) with a rented ECV.

Much to our delight, they were stopped by a CM who was quickly joined by one of the Guest Relations folks from a nearby Blue Umbrella, and ultimately also by a manager.

We just sat there at Casey's and ate our hot dogs while we watched as they had to untangle all the ropes and bungee cords, empty the wagon and fold it down, and then the manager started to walk them away down Main Street towards the exit... There were 8 adults and 4 kids, and as they drove away, the Grandpa driving the scooter tried to "ride" one of the kids on the scooter... Needless to say, that didn't fly for long either; as soon as the manager saw that, he stopped them again, and the kid hopped off.

I sometimes think that instead of the "Welcome" sign at the entrances to WDW, they should have a sign that says "Hey! Don't turn your brain off!

On our last visit, we saw a large group *trying* to tow a double stroller + a foldable wagon (don't get me started - that wagon was full of packages and personal items) with a rented ECV.

Much to our delight, they were stopped by a CM who was quickly joined by one of the Guest Relations folks from a nearby Blue Umbrella, and ultimately also by a manager.

We just sat there at Casey's and ate our hot dogs while we watched as they had to untangle all the ropes and bungee cords, empty the wagon and fold it down, and then the manager started to walk them away down Main Street towards the exit... There were 8 adults and 4 kids, and as they drove away, the Grandpa driving the scooter tried to "ride" one of the kids on the scooter... Needless to say, that didn't fly for long either; as soon as the manager saw that, he stopped them again, and the kid hopped off.

I sometimes think that instead of the "Welcome" sign at the entrances to WDW, they should have a sign that says "Hey! Don't turn your brain off!

Gotta love dinner and a show! LOL

I have seen these before online but not IRL... I do think they are interesting and could have a place at Disney but not as things are currently. When you have a couple or friends who need the device being about to be together instead of in 2 ECVs would be nice. Maybe there would be a place in the future with a different 2 person ECV.

Overall no matter what the device it still comes down to the driver to be responsible.

I have seen these before online but not IRL... I do think they are interesting and could have a place at Disney but not as things are currently. When you have a couple or friends who need the device being about to be together instead of in 2 ECVs would be nice. Maybe there would be a place in the future with a different 2 person ECV.

Overall no matter what the device it still comes down to the driver to be responsible.
They are still seated one behind the other though, so not really "together" IMO. And one would only be walking next to a single person at a time?

DH did see one at Disney World one time, not sure how they managed to get it in, but it was at EPCOT if that makes a difference, he said he had to do a double take to make sure what he was seeing.

He also saw someone that somehow got in with what he could only describe as an ECV towing a trailer, again also at EPCOT on the same ONE day trip.....lol

I imagine neither one got to stay in the park for very long with those setups, but crazy they even made it in.

He has also seen at Disneyland someone with a scooter that had a child bike seat somehow securely mounted to the ECV and by bike seat, I mean one with seatbelts and all of that. Again, I can't imagine that being allowed, but they somehow got into the park.

So, who knows what might be allowed down the road?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter