• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

(Ugh!) Help with resort pick - I know, I know...!

LisaDKG

A little obsessed...
I hate to ask this question because I KNOW it is so individual but my family won't help at all - you're all I've got!

Bottom line - I need to know if I should switch my reservation from SSR (39 points) to AKL Kidani savannah (44 points)

Details
-Family of 4 - me, DH, DS13, DD11 (owners at BLT)
-We want to try new resorts plus we are booking this rather late, are borrowing from next year's points and don't want to use too, too many!
-Split stay Sept. 13-17 studio at VWL and Sept 17-20 studio at SSR
-I'm fine with VWL but am second guessing SSR and have a waitlist at BWV even though I know that's a looooong shot
-we will have a car, although the rest of the family prefers using Disney transport :confused3 (and of course they reeeeally prefer using the monorail)
-First part of split will focus on MK, a water park, Harry Potter Land (that's what we call it) and MNSSHP and the last half will be HS, Epcot, AK and DTD (jeez that's not going to be relaxing at all...!)

My concerns (also known as "first-world problems" :bitelip:)
-I have read that most people love SSR because it doesn't feel like a hotel and it's so convenient to use a car. Well, we LOVE hotels and you've just read that my family prefers Dis transport.

-What I am not keen on with Dis buses is making lots of stops (which happened during our stay at BC and I know it will happen if we get into BWV). I'm scared of all the bus stops at SSR (although I know AKL has 2 too)

-We've already stayed at AKL when it was just Jambo, even though I think of Kidani as uncharted territory. We love the theme and restaurants. I love the savannah view but my kids are not really that interested in the animals (who isn't interested in animals I ask you???)

-we can walk to DTD from SSR right? My family loves their time at Disneyquest so this would be a positive.

-I am imagining that accessing the restaurants at DTD will be easy then and this is a positive for SSR. Plus I have read good things about Turf Club Artist Palette. BUT we are big fans of Jiko (already have an ADR) and Sanaa looks right up our alley too.

-I think Kidani has the more updated room/sofabeds am I right? This is also important to me.

-the pool at Kidani looks more fun but I can't really tell that well from all the photos I've seen of the various pools at SSR.

-Is hearing the noise of traffic an issue at SSR? I suppose it depends on location but we really like to be in the Disney "bubble" (we are really good pretenders...)

Ok, that's probably annoying enough for now. If you made it this far, TIA! Anything helps!

[snip] -We want to try new resorts

borrowing from next year's points and don't want to use too, too many! [snip]

Based on these two statements, I'd leave the reservation at SSR and save the points.

My concerns (also known as "first-world problems" :bitelip:)
-I have read that most people love SSR because it doesn't feel like a hotel and it's so convenient to use a car. Well, we LOVE hotels and you've just read that my family prefers Dis transport.

Lots of people "think" they will like/dislike a DVC resort without staying there. Give it a whirl...you might just be surprised and the very worst thing that could happen is you spend all of 3 nights in a resort you don't love. But it won't be like torture either. :)

-What I am not keen on with Dis buses is making lots of stops (which happened during our stay at BC and I know it will happen if we get into BWV). I'm scared of all the bus stops at SSR (although I know AKL has 2 too)

All DVC resorts have a number of stops. Some share with other resorts and some like SSR and OKW have a number of internal stops. AKV only has the two stops but it also stops almost every trip at Blizzard Beach water park which takes up a fair amount of time. I wouldn't worry about SSR number of stops. If you stay in Congress Park you can always walk to DTD and get a bus to anywhere including other resorts which is a real trial at most resorts.

I love the savannah view but my kids are not really that interested in the animals

To each their own, but if the kids aren't very interested in the animals, I certainly wouldn't spend points on a Savanna view room.

-Is hearing the noise of traffic an issue at SSR? I suppose it depends on location but we really like to be in the Disney "bubble" (we are really good pretenders...)

We've never heard any traffic at SSR. We've never backed up to the outer roads so that helps.

Again, it's 3 nights. I wouldn't sweat it and I'd save the points. You may love SSR, or find out it's not your family's cup of tea. As mentioned, worst case is you cross it off your list for future consideration. Best case is you find yet another DVC resort your family really likes!

The West side walking path from SSR (near the boat dock) to DtD West side (Cirque parking lot) might work for you...near DQ

With the Springs project construction at DTD, the more typical East path may be closed. (Bad because that is closer to more quick dining)There is also boat and bus service to DTD.

Personally, I much prefer the internal SSR stops to the occasional YC/BC/BW/S/D route. To me it makes some difference not leaving the resort between stops. others feel differently. I would prefer being at Grandstand or Paddock to be on an early bus stop (vs a last stop where the bus may be full and you have to stand)

SSR has 2 feature pools with slides. Springs and the newer Paddock.

Kidani, by far, has the best slide at AKL (vs Jambo)

You might be best off waiting to use SSR after the Springs construction is complete, because it sounds like you may get some enjoyment from its DTD proximity at that point.

I would say hands down if you like hotels go with Kindani. We stayed at SSR and were HIGHLY disappointed. We love hotels and theming and love Disney. SSR didn't seem Disney AT ALL to us, they didn't have a quick service and the food was mediocre. We absolutely love La Mara for the hummus and Zebra domes and the gift shop! Also love the african wines in the gift shop. We love Boma and Sanaa as well as Jiko. We love Kindni just as much as Jambo, and you can get to Jamba with a quick walk (actually faster than the bus sometimes) They are very similar really. The hotel (SSR) seemed old and way more dated than AKL even with "upgrades". The CM's seemed less friendly and not "Disney". We love ALK and will never stay at SSR again. The room was so disappointing we asked ourselves how anyone could ever "love" SSR and call it home. Everyone has their own thing and I know lots of ppl will disagree, its just our opinion. Let us know what you choose! Good luck:)

I would say hands down if you like hotels go with AKL. We stayed at SSR and were HIGHLY disappointed. We love hotels and theming and love Disney. SSR didn't seem Disney AT ALL to us. We absolutely love La Mara for the hummus and Zebra domes and the gift shop! Also love the african wines in the gift shop. We love Boma and Sanaa as well. We love Kindni just as much as Jambo, and you can get to Jamba with a quick walk (actually faster than the bus sometimes) They are very similar really. The hotel (SSR) seemed old and way more dated than AKL even with "upgrades". The CM's seemed less friendly and not "Disney". We love ALK and will never stay at SSR again. The room was so disappointing we asked ourselves how anyone could ever "love" SSR and call it home. Everyone has their own thing and I know lots of ppl will disagree, its just our opinion. Let us know what you choose! Good luck:)

I hate to ask this question because I KNOW it is so individual but my family won't help at all - you're all I've got! Bottom line - I need to know if I should switch my reservation from SSR (39 points) to AKL Kidani savannah (44 points) Details -Family of 4 - me, DH, DS13, DD11 (owners at BLT) -We want to try new resorts plus we are booking this rather late, are borrowing from next year's points and don't want to use too, too many! -Split stay Sept. 13-17 studio at VWL and Sept 17-20 studio at SSR -I'm fine with VWL but am second guessing SSR and have a waitlist at BWV even though I know that's a looooong shot -we will have a car, although the rest of the family prefers using Disney transport :confused3 (and of course they reeeeally prefer using the monorail) -First part of split will focus on MK, a water park, Harry Potter Land (that's what we call it) and MNSSHP and the last half will be HS, Epcot, AK and DTD (jeez that's not going to be relaxing at all...!) My concerns (also known as "first-world problems" :bitelip:) -I have read that most people love SSR because it doesn't feel like a hotel and it's so convenient to use a car. Well, we LOVE hotels and you've just read that my family prefers Dis transport. -What I am not keen on with Dis buses is making lots of stops (which happened during our stay at BC and I know it will happen if we get into BWV). I'm scared of all the bus stops at SSR (although I know AKL has 2 too) -We've already stayed at AKL when it was just Jambo, even though I think of Kidani as uncharted territory. We love the theme and restaurants. I love the savannah view but my kids are not really that interested in the animals (who isn't interested in animals I ask you???) -we can walk to DTD from SSR right? My family loves their time at Disneyquest so this would be a positive. -I am imagining that accessing the restaurants at DTD will be easy then and this is a positive for SSR. Plus I have read good things about Turf Club Artist Palette. BUT we are big fans of Jiko (already have an ADR) and Sanaa looks right up our alley too. -I think Kidani has the more updated room/sofabeds am I right? This is also important to me. -the pool at Kidani looks more fun but I can't really tell that well from all the photos I've seen of the various pools at SSR. -Is hearing the noise of traffic an issue at SSR? I suppose it depends on location but we really like to be in the Disney "bubble" (we are really good pretenders...) Ok, that's probably annoying enough for now. If you made it this far, TIA! Anything helps!

We have walked to DTD from Saratoga- it is a hike! You will also need to cross a very busy, very large thoroughfare before you get to the walkway along the river which you'll walk into DTD. While a very long walk may be nice if you haven't been at the parks all day, crossing that street with kids would give me heart failure!

We like AKL so much better than SSR.

Since animals are not important to your kids, why not save some points and book a Standard View for 35 points? If you book it at Jambo, you will receive a pool view or a less desirable savannah view. The Value View rooms are the ones that overlook the parking lot at Jambo. Standard View rooms overlook the parking lot and pool at Kidani.

Thank you everyone - I knew I'd be in good hands!

I think now I am definitely leaning towards AKV and plan to take time this trip to drive to both SSR and OKW and get the lay of the land for next time ;)

So, now I see that both Jambo and Kidani have standard view available for 35 points! Super! Is Jambo the way to go then, if the view can end up being pool or less desirable savannah? Am I right that the only negative to Jambo could be full buses from Kidani?

Thanks again!

Thank you everyone - I knew I'd be in good hands!

I think now I am definitely leaning towards AKV and plan to take time this trip to drive to both SSR and OKW and get the lay of the land for next time ;)

So, now I see that both Jambo and Kidani have standard view available for 35 points! Super! Is Jambo the way to go then, if the view can end up being pool or less desirable savannah? Am I right that the only negative to Jambo could be full buses from Kidani?

Thanks again!

AKL is our home. Never had a problem with full buses but we go the end of August so that could be a factor. One other thing to consider (only if it is important to your family) is that the food court is at the Jambo House. When we stayed at Kidani my family was very disappointed that we did not have immediate access to the food court. Otherwise, I think you'd be fine!

I've never had a problem with the buses either and I totally agree with you about The Mara. I also own at AKV and have yet to stay at Kidani since I like having the quick service in my building. We have, however, visited Kidani for the the pool more than once.

Here is a map of AKV: http://www.parkinfo2go.com/dvc-akv/floor5.php . The Standard View rooms are on the 5th floor and they overlook the pool and some obstructed savanna views (aka "people pens"). I booked a Standard View studio last year and we ended up on the Sunset Savannah.

We own at SSR and have stayed at both. If you like hotels, stay at Jambo. If you like elegant, subtly themed resorts with easy and immediate access to pools, walking paths, and a great community center that has easy (boat or foot) access to DTD, then SSR is for you. There are counter food service at 2 pools, bars at 3 pools, easy access food at Artist Palette as well as a lovely sit down restaurant at Turf Club. If that appeals, then SSR is for you. Enjoy wherever you decide because as PP said, it's only 3 days. Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

We have stayed at both SSR and AKL and I do agree that trying both is a good thing. You really never know. That being said we would hands down take AKL over SSR.

To us SSR was too spread out and the buses were a pain. We had a car and ended up driving a lot and thus ended up doing more off property. Don't get me wrong, its a very nice property and we would happily stay again for a non park visit or as a last minute only thing available.

AKL to us is our other home. My kids love all the activities at the AKL. The pools are great. The Mara being right there is great. We have always thought that AKL has some of the best bus service on property. Mostly because it only has it's own buses. Also we totally love the immersive theming. It feels like a real escape type of vacation to be there. We often regret not buying DVC there. But then we would miss BCV.

We have a Thanksgiving trip planned and staying at our home resort. I was going to try and switch us to AKL but alas limited availability already. Now writing this I am now seriously considering a split stay :goodvibes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter