UGHHHH Royal Caribbean is maddening

fredandkell

I'd rather be cruising
So I've been spoiled by Disney....but now I can't afford it! :)

Wanted to book 2 connecting staterooms on Royal Caribbean. One shows it sleeps 2, one shows it sleeps 3. We are a party of 4, so there would be 2 people in each room.

RCL absolutely will not let me book an interior stateroom with only 2 people, when the stateroom sleeps 3. I have called, spoken to a travel agent, etc. and there's no way around it.

Do you know how many times I've done 2 connecting rooms on DCL with 2 people in them, and the room sleeps 3 or 4?! Don't know why RCL is so pig-headed!

TBH I didn't even know Royal had staterooms that specifically slept 3.

But if you're that frustrated, I'd just go with another cruise line. Royal's not the only one out there.

This is there way to maximize space and making sure those rooms are available to those that need them. I think it's a shame that some families want a larger room on Disney only to see no availability because parties of 2 or 3 are booking those larger rooms.

There should be some connecting rooms that have 2 people each. We had that last summer on Navigator and have it again in 2 weeks on Anthem.

What ship? Is it close to sailing? They could be sold out but I'd check again.

Just sailed on RCCL Harmony of the Seas. We had three two person OV balcony rooms next to each other, and at our request our steward opened up the balcony dividers for us. That worked great for having our rooms connected from the balcony (worked so well). It was super convenient and the balcony without the dividers was really nice, but we don't have little kids (might not want that if that's the case here). And balcony rooms are pricier than interior too.

My suggestion would be to call back and get someone else. Unfortunately with Royal, if you call three times, you get three different answers. I have personally booked two connecting promenade interiors and put two people in each so I am sure it can be done, you just may need to find someone else to talk to.

My suggestion would be to call back and get someone else. Unfortunately with Royal, if you call three times, you get three different answers. I have personally booked two connecting promenade interiors and put two people in each so I am sure it can be done, you just may need to find someone else to talk to.
Interesting!

This is there way to maximize space and making sure those rooms are available to those that need them. I think it's a shame that some families want a larger room on Disney only to see no availability because parties of 2 or 3 are booking those larger rooms.
I agree with you on a macro sense, especially with things like suites - why let a party of 2 book a suite that sleeps 6?

But for an interior room that sleeps 3, to not let a party of 2 book it, seems counterproductive to me. I mean, they had me on the phone, willing and ready to book 2 rooms and put down money, but let me hang up without booking because the number of people didn't exactly match the stateroom. So they are basically willing to let it sit empty until a party of 3 comes along? I mean, are they that sure of a sellout?

Strange indeed.
We did 4 balcony side by side rooms with 2 in each. Tho now that I think on it, someone wanted a third in it and were told no, only two.
I suppose there’s a reason somewhere.
If it’s a deal breaker for you, choose another ship or line. Good luck!!

Having worked for RCCL in the past, the reason my the PP may not have been able to add a 3rd in the cabin may be because the ship count as a whole was at occupancy or would have been if any remaining staterooms were doubles (they would be less likely to see one of those as a single -most don’t want to pay the single supplement so find someone to go with them - so they would have gotten an extra pax if they sold out compared to the one added in your cabin.

Same concept applies for the OP. They can get 5 fares instead of 4.

We were prohibited to book a cabin with only 3 if it was a stateroom for 4 and family staterooms could only be booked by supervisors. After a certain date the staterooms would be released allowing for less occupancy.

Two potential options I see:

1) Book a different pair of rooms that are occupancy 2 each. I suspect you've tried this and none are available.

2) Book a third, fictious person in the room for 3. If it happens to be a kids sail free cruise, make it a kid. Otherwise, you'll be stuck paying the 3rd person fair. That is, if you think it's worth the extra cost.

Best bet is to keep calling back. Perhaps for now just book rooms next to each other or across the hall for now and then keep calling periodically to get a change. Go up the chain if you have to. I find that sometimes the people you talk to just don't have the authority but if you get a supervisor, they can be more accommodating.

Also, it depends LOT on the ship and what cabin configurations are even available. Disney has many more cabins that sleep 3-4 so they can be more accommodating. Some Royal ships have fewer such cabins choosing not to put pull out (or pull down) beds in some cabins to maximize space.

Having worked for RCCL in the past, the reason my the PP may not have been able to add a 3rd in the cabin may be because the ship count as a whole was at occupancy or would have been if any remaining staterooms were doubles (they would be less likely to see one of those as a single -most don’t want to pay the single supplement so find someone to go with them - so they would have gotten an extra pax if they sold out compared to the one added in your cabin.

Same concept applies for the OP. They can get 5 fares instead of 4.

We were prohibited to book a cabin with only 3 if it was a stateroom for 4 and family staterooms could only be booked by supervisors. After a certain date the staterooms would be released allowing for less occupancy.
Thank you, that is helpful! When, generally, did they lift the occupancy restrictions?

What about instead of connecting staterooms you just book staterooms that are next to each other?

We booked our last few cruises with an online travel agent. We were able to pick our staterooms. One cruise my husband and I are in a balcony across the hall from our girls, one we were connecting inside. Other cruise we are a few cabins away.

Like another person suggested, book a fake person in the room for 3. You can call back and cancel them later and they won't make you move rooms.

Or put 3 people in the one room and 1 in the room for 2. Then call and change them back later.

Both can lead to repricing, but it shouldn't change a whole lot unless you wait till after payoff deadlines.

Like another person suggested, book a fake person in the room for 3. You can call back and cancel them later and they won't make you move rooms.

Or put 3 people in the one room and 1 in the room for 2. Then call and change them back later.

Both can lead to repricing, but it shouldn't change a whole lot unless you wait till after payoff deadlines.

No, they will make you move rooms if you cancel someone. I have personal experience with this.

No, they will make you move rooms if you cancel someone. I have personal experience with this.

And I have experience with it as well. We kept the room. It probably comes down to how close to the cruise you cancel and which agent you get that day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter