UK Christmas traditions...

Cornish Lad

Mouseketeer
A few years ago I was recovering from major knee surgery and wasn't up to cooking a full traditional Christmas dinner so we decided to do something completely different, a Mexican inspired Christmas. I ordered Mexican-style decorations and a Christmas pinata and we had tamales on Christmas Day instead of Christmas Eve. A tradition where I live (Texas) is to have tamales on Christmas Eve even if you're not Mexican.

We had a traditional Christmas last year but the kids have such fond memories of that Mexican Christmas that they want to explore other country's Christmas traditions every few years. My family decided to explore UK traditions this year because we had a blast visiting England and Scotland a few summers ago.

Here's our plan so far:
  • Christmas crackers
  • a Yule log in our outdoor fireplace
  • a dessert that's lit on fire. DS8 still remembers when some of our British friends bought a Christmas pudding to our Thanksgiving dinner and lit it on fire.
  • watch a Dr. Who Christmas episode.
What else should we do? I'm looking for fun suggestions.
Don't bother with Dr. Who - not a British tradition! Queen's speech is definitely traditional. The only dessert for setting on fire at Christmas (brandy poured over then lit) is a traditional Christmas fruit pudding as was brought to your Thanksgiving dinner. The original home made puddings had silver sixpenny pieces put in them for luck - unless you found one by breaking a tooth on it! Of course there are no longer any such coins in circulation so that tradition has died away aided by the fact that nowadays most people get their Christmas puddings from shops. Roast turkey for Christmas dinner - same as for your Thanksgiving. Have some family games and ignore the endless repeats on tv. Most of all just enjoy being together as a family - hope that we can this year with all that's going on with lockdowns and visiting restrictions etc.
Merry Christmas from the UK
Peter

• Disney Frenhines

DIS Veteran
    As I live alone and will be spending it alone I decided I'm going to do a Hoop Dee Doo Christmas Dinner. I'm going to replicate the menu as best I can, the Strawberry Shortcake might prove difficult so I may replace that with Christmas pud.
    To be honest, Christmas day is pretty much the same as every other day otherwise. The days when Christmas Day TV was special have long gone, but, Disney+ has plenty of things worth watching.

DL1WDW2

DIS Veteran
    Have you ever tried the Birds Eye Custard served over apple pie slice?
    The canister has a quick & easy way to prepare using a microwave.
    Very English and love this all nice and warm.
    I also have an old English Recipe for poor mans pudding ( rice pudding served warm ) And my mother always asked Santa to bring a box of Black Magic Candies.

BadPinkTink

DIS Veteran
    Yes , my grandmother used to make apple tart and serve it with Birds Custard. My grandfather used to grow the apples and then my grandmother would make apple tarts :)

I also have an old English Recipe for poor mans pudding ( rice pudding served warm )
    Never heard rice pudding called this. Rice pudding is still popular, I buy it from the grocery store on a regular basis. The most popular brand is Ambrosia but there are other brands too. I just heat in the microwave.
    IDShot_225x225.jpg

And my mother always asked Santa to bring a box of Black Magic Candies.
    My dad loved Black Magic too :) They are still onsale, I just checked

IDShot_225x225 (1).jpg

Welsh_Dragon

DIS Veteran
    The canister has a quick & easy way to prepare using a microwave.
    Very English and love this all nice and warm.
    I also have an old English Recipe for poor mans pudding ( rice pudding served warm ) And my mother always asked Santa to bring a box of Black Magic Candies.
    My Grandmother’s cook used to make delicious rice puddings ( you have taken me on a little trip down memory lane). It was oozing with cream, butter, cinnamon and sugar and had a thick skin on the top when it cooled.
    At school we had tapioca and semolina pudding, which did a fine impersonation of liquid cement.

Last edited:
  • Woodview

DIS Veteran
    What about Spiced Beef ...... very tasty .... eaten cold on toast & butter.

followed by Triple Choc Ice Cream

( Dunnes Stores , Super Value & Tesco )

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR DAILY EMAIL
    Subscribe and never miss out on Disney News, Deals and Updates.