"Unavailable" Flights Becoming Available On SWA ?

wee-haggis

DIS Veteran
If a flight class is described as "unavailable" at the moment on the SWA booking site, is there any reason or circumstance where these classes might become available at a later date ?

I would just keep checking. I am in the same situation as I find it hard to believe that all of their flights are unavailable to come home from Orlando during President's week. I know that it is a very busy time, but they just extended the schedule yesterday. I checked immediately when the schedule opened up and everything but the refundable fairs were "unavailable".

I booked my trip going there, but have nothing coming home. I hope something cheaper opens up. If not, I guess we won't be going then and I will have a credit towards my next trip.

If you are not looking for that time period, I have had luck with flights opening up that have said they are unavailable. They do not stay that way long though and you would need to grab them immediately. What I think happens is that someone cancels and they go back into the system.

It can mean a few things.

1. They have sold out of the cheap fares and won't be offering any more
2. They think they can sell at full price and will wait to see what happens before they offer any discounts
3. They are selling so well at full fare, they have no need to offer discounts.
4. If ALL fare classes are unavialble, the flight is full... changes can happen, but your chances of a discount just dropped dramatically. Cancellations do not retain the fare class originally assigned in most cases.

Considering how popular President's Day week is, if you see a fare you can live MOVE QUICK, don't think about it.

Yes, I believe that the flights are showing available -- it's just the discounted fares that aren't available.

Even SW can't make money selling all their seats at under $120 (maybe even under $200) R/T.

Really no reason for them to offer any deeply discounted seats for popular travel dates.

Look up the maximum, fully refundable, fare for SW. Now do the same thing for whatever legacy airline flies an equivalent route. Even SW's full fares can be a good deal.

We learned from experience not to wait for a discount during that week. If you see a full fare, buy it or drive.

The best advice I can give is to check, check, check the SWA site frequently. I have been known to check 2 - 3 times a day if I'm actively looking for a particular day/time for a flight. I've seen instances where the flight I want shows "unavailable" for a long time, but ends up opening up every once in a while (probably when someone cancels or changes their plans. This, of course, only works if you are flexible and can take a chance on that flight opening up. If I'm booking a trip that is not so flexible on dates/times, I would book what I need as soon as it is available, and then hope the price goes down for a credit at a later date. The whole "discount airfare" game can drive you nuts sometimes! :crazy:

Anyone have advice as far as best method of "quickly" preparing to cancel and re-book cheaper flights?(ie:if after checking I find previously unavailable flights pop up as available, how can I safely cancel my existing bookings and enter the new ones...without losing out on both). One way is Fun fare and the other is Fully Refundable.

wee-haggis said:
Anyone have advice as far as best method of "quickly" preparing to cancel and re-book cheaper flights?(ie:if after checking I find previously unavailable flights pop up as available, how can I safely cancel my existing bookings and enter the new ones...without losing out on both). One way is Fun fare and the other is Fully Refundable.

I have never done this, but I think you can't do worse than a full price ticket(there will always be seats available-unless the flight oversells)so you should be able to book the new tickets, and then cancel your full fare, because your full rare is fully refundable-get your cash back(not a credit).

canwegosoon said:
I have never done this, but I think you can't do worse than a full price ticket(there will always be seats available-unless the flight oversells)so you should be able to book the new tickets, and then cancel your full fare, because your full rare is fully refundable-get your cash back(not a credit).
Yeah...but as I mentioned only the coming home trip is a Refundable fare.The going out is a Fun fare.

I think there is a modify or change existing reservations option in your current booking where you should be able to do it all at once.

wee-haggis said:
From the SWA main page, select Travel Center and then Change Reservation. This will allow you to change one or both legs of your flight to whatever is now available without jeopardizing your existing reservation.

Mickey_Maniac said:
From the SWA main page, select Travel Center and then Change Reservation. This will allow you to change one or both legs of your flight to whatever is now available without jeopardizing your existing reservation.
Thanks ...I just saw that.
Does this apply to any class of fare ?

It basically bring you to the same flight selection page you would normally see, but at the very end, it shows your new total and how much you have left over or owe. You can tyry it right up to the point where it shows the new total, just dont click on the USA Reconcile on the last page or you will be committed.

So glad I booked FlySong a few months back at $180 from Bos to MCO, I looked at Swa for a friend and they had no lower rates within minutes of there opening the schedule. Glad I did not wait for them.

Since I don't use SWA very much, I'm confused and can't find the answer on their website...if for some reason one of the lower price "unavailable" fares becomes available for my flight and I choose to apply my "nonrefundable" ticketless travel that I've already booked, can I use the extra "nonrefundable" amount to book a different flight or is that balance just lost?

Example...we booked our flight out, but could not get anything lower than the Advanced Purchase fare...I can't book our route back until April opens...now I'm searching and finding some of the "unavailable" internet fares available around our initial flight out...it would be about a $300 difference, which I would love to carry over to our return flight portion if I can.

THANKS
Chris

Chris,
Any balance you have left over would be available to you as a travel credit available for future use. I believe the credits expire after 1 year, so you would have to use them before then. If you were to rebook your existing flights to a lower fare, SWa would provide you with a confirmation number for the balance due. When you then purchased your return fare, you would be prompted to apply travel credit as you were completing the sale. You would key in the conf number and off you go.

Hope this helps...

CarolA said:
It can mean a few things.

1. They have sold out of the cheap fares and won't be offering any more
2. They think they can sell at full price and will wait to see what happens before they offer any discounts
3. They are selling so well at full fare, they have no need to offer discounts.
4. If ALL fare classes are unavialble, the flight is full... changes can happen, but your chances of a discount just dropped dramatically. Cancellations do not retain the fare class originally assigned in most cases.

Considering how popular President's Day week is, if you see a fare you can live MOVE QUICK, don't think about it.

I've watched my chances for a discounted flight MLK, Jr weekend drop dramatically. My flight is 3 seats away from having refundable seats as the only option. There were discounted seats available, but they are looong gone. I'm so glad I booked at $176 RT a month ago :) The same flight is well over $300 now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter