Unconventional (?) Aulani Traveler

marvelatpixar

Earning My Ears
Hello all!

I'm going to Aulani for 5 nights in October -- wanted to use my Disney Visa Rewards and PTO from my job, figured I'd check out Hawaii.

It's an unusual kinda trip because I'm going solo and I'm aware that Aulani is very much advertised as a family resort. I'm unmarried and in my late 20's.

Anyone else have this experience? Any advice for unique solo trips or social gatherings? I'm not a huge adventure tourist...

A friend just went to Aulani solo for a week. She's in her 30s and married, but her husband stayed home. She really enjoyed the Jurassic Park tour and a helicopter tour that she went on. Other than that, she had a great time just enjoying the resort, getting her picture with the characters and exploring the food, drink and pool scene.

If I were going solo, I would absolutely book a spa day. If you golf, you could probably get paired up with someone at the golf course. A private surf lesson would also be just as good solo as with friends. And that spa thing again... :) Plus you cal lounge in the adult hot tub or float the lazy river solo and never miss having a companion IMO. If I traveled solo, I would also be much more inclined to take some kind of tour of a coffee plantation or winery/distillery or the like—stuff my family would be bored with. And definitely the museums—they had zero interest in those. Plus I could spend a few hours at the swap meet without constantly being pulled over to look at this or that and then forgetting to go back and get that carved surfboard only to find the guy was already gone when we finally went back. Oh yeah, did I mention the spa??? Go! Have fun!!

Thank you phinz -- Those are two activities I haven't looked into yet. I appreciate it!

You're welcome. I'll check with her and see what else she did. She loved it so much she's going back for a couple of days in February before heading to a retreat in Kauai.

Thank you phinz -- Those are two activities I haven't looked into yet. I appreciate it!

Her words are, "I did the helicopter excursion and went to the adult restaurant and bar while I was there. They have excursions to pretty much everything on the island. Vivian was a wonderful concierge. There is also a little village by the resort that had good restaurants and shops."

She said there's an adults-only pool as well.

I'll second the recommendation for Aulani concierge Vivian. She is delightful, well-informed, and willing to go the extra mile to help you.

If I were going solo, I would absolutely book a spa day. If you golf, you could probably get paired up with someone at the golf course. A private surf lesson would also be just as good solo as with friends. And that spa thing again... :) Plus you cal lounge in the adult hot tub or float the lazy river solo and never miss having a companion IMO. If I traveled solo, I would also be much more inclined to take some kind of tour of a coffee plantation or winery/distillery or the like—stuff my family would be bored with. And definitely the museums—they had zero interest in those. Plus I could spend a few hours at the swap meet without constantly being pulled over to look at this or that and then forgetting to go back and get that carved surfboard only to find the guy was already gone when we finally went back. Oh yeah, did I mention the spa??? Go! Have fun!!

Lol --- SPAAAAAA! Duly noted. I am into art and cultural museums, so that's definitely a good idea! And I think I would want to do the swap meet even it was just to see the stadium. Thanks for the tips!

Lol --- SPAAAAAA! Duly noted. I am into art and cultural museums, so that's definitely a good idea! And I think I would want to do the swap meet even it was just to see the stadium. Thanks for the tips!
If you go in the stadium gift shop, they give tours (a couple of times a day maybe?)! We missed it, but the guy was so nice and took us up and let us walk out into the stands and a take a few pics. We bought some serious UH swag after that....so nice.

Hello all!

I'm going to Aulani for 5 nights in October -- wanted to use my Disney Visa Rewards and PTO from my job, figured I'd check out Hawaii.

It's an unusual kinda trip because I'm going solo and I'm aware that Aulani is very much advertised as a family resort. I'm unmarried and in my late 20's.

Anyone else have this experience? Any advice for unique solo trips or social gatherings? I'm not a huge adventure tourist...

I always travel solo and have been to Aulani solo several times. There is so much to do there, you can be as active or inactive as you like. Below are some of the things I’ve done on my trips to Aulani:

1) Polynesian Cultural Center— do on your own(rent a car) or take a tour
2) Aulani Spa
3) rent a car and go to Waikiki—lots of museums in the area—see the Bishop Museum, Honolulu Musum of Art, the Spaulding House, hike Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor, ‘Iolani Palace
4) snorkel tours, etc.
5) Island hop—this can be expensive and will take up one whole day of your vacation
6) Paradise Cove luau next door
7) Ka Wa’a Luau(on site)

Aulani also runs tours from the resort. Check out the website to see what’s available. You can also book on your own. You won’t be able to do it all in one trip. Good luck.

Goodness, no, that’s definitely not what I saw! Those are amazing!!! Thank so much for sharing that—super cool!
He has a lot of art at Gallery Olani, which is pretty much right next to Aulani if you're back that way and want to see his stuff in person. He's an amazing artist. We have about a dozen or so of his pieces in our collection.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter