Unemployment for sub teachers?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
I have been being a substitute teacher in my county in Georgia part time for about a year and a half and I am now wondering if I would be eligible for unemployment benefits. Anyone have a club? I am not a regular employee as I choose when and how much I want to work, so I really don't know.

Weren't federal funds opened up to those that a part of the "gig economy" (Uber drivers, etc). If so, wouldn't a sub fall within those guidelines? I'm curious about this myself, as my mom is also a sub teacher.

Honestly I would apply right now due to the CARES package that lets part time workers qualify. The worst that happens is they so no and the best is $600/week + anything GA might add while you remain unemployed.

Check your state's unemployment website. Some school district's support staff, like subs are part of the school's unions. You maybe able to get information from your union about collecting unemployment benefits. Good luck and health to All.

Honestly I would apply right now due to the CARES package that lets part time workers qualify. The worst that happens is they so no and the best is $600/week + anything GA might add while you remain unemployed.
That is what I was thinking. Just apply and see. I am in no part in a union, but at the same time I feel like even if I did qualify for anything because of the CARES package, the school system may not just advertise that now. I haven't worked much in the past few months at all, but I did work a little more in early 2019/late 2018. If I do qualify I doubt I would get more than $30-$40 a week, based on just how little I have worked and the minimum wage pay. But hey, why not see?

Our state (KY) has announced that substitute teachers are eligible now for unemployment. I am a retired teacher and I subbed for 3 years but this year I am under contract in a regular position so I am being paid to teach from home. Otherwise I would apply.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter