unequally yoked - Can this marriage be saved??

AreWeThereYet said:
my only hope is to brainwash DS (not quite 2) and we can carry the vote over the three women in the house.
See now THAT I can somewhat relate to. DH and I are beyond enthusiastic about everything Disney and we just had our first child. We are CONVINCED that she is going to despise everything Disney. It would figure, wouldn't it???

AreWeThereYet said:
ZILLOW: preferences: non-smoking, top floor, BCV, annual pass preferred but not mandatory.
:rotfl: :rockband: :crazy2:

See, it will never work...I'm a non-smoking, top floor, VWL, pool view, aquarian who likes to force feed small farm animals...

zillow said:
See, it will never work...I'm a non-smoking, top floor, VWL, pool view, aquarian who likes to force feed small farm animals...

Right :rotfl: but at least we know now....

any others want to post their preferences??

:cheer2:

I"m a non-smoking, pool view, VWL, nothing smaller than a 1 bedroom, small breakfast in the room, with a tendency toward commando park activity (so says DH, I say he just walks slow!)

I also prefer sit-down/buffet meals to counter service. While DH will only fly to WDW, I am willing to drive, ride a bus, etc. Heck, I'd probably walk, but I don't think the kids would be up for it.

On another note has anyone noticed below where it shows what it thinks are similar threads? I had to laugh! We could retitle some of them to make them fit a little better... How about instead of "Who gets the ring?" we have "Who gets the DVC points?"

mom2alix said:
I"m a non-smoking, any view, nothing smaller than a 1 bedroom, small breakfast in the room, with a tendency toward commando park activity (so says DH, I say he just walks slow!)

I also prefer sit-down/buffet meals to counter service. ...I am willing to drive, ride a bus, etc. Heck, I'd probably walk, but I don't think the kids would be up for it.

"

me too.. anytime ya wanta go, let me know.. have points, will travel...

BCV, nonsmoking, likes Illuminations and long walks around World Showcase.
Willing to "sleep around" -- meaning trying different resorts, of course!
Enjoys forbidden fruit, such as Epcot views and Kilauea Tortes.
Pushover for a pretty face and an AP.
Send photos, and I don't mean your pickup truck, sweetie! ;) :rotfl: :rotfl:

CRSNDSNY said:
See now THAT I can somewhat relate to. DH and I are beyond enthusiastic about everything Disney and we just had our first child. We are CONVINCED that she is going to despise everything Disney. It would figure, wouldn't it???

Don't even go there, unless you really don't believe in the power of the mind :earseek: It is HIGHLY likely that she will adore WDW because her momma and daddy do :wizard: :goodvibes :sunny: :love:

in fact, it seems like it's a novelty to her that I have such an interest (she would say it's on a passionate level) in all things disneyesque.

So, ErikTheWise - are you looking for pix of Grand Villas, 2-brs, 1-brs and Studios? Might help potential matches...

:goodvibes

It's great to hear about so many marriages made in Disney -

- but to get back to the OP:

AreWeThereYet said:

Help. DW and I have been married for nearly 18 years, but I am slowly coming to realize that we may not be the best fit for each other. I think we may be unequally yoked - I don't believe we share the same love and devotion for all things Disney.

... please share your sad story of inequality. Perhaps with enough fellow "unequally yoked" friends to commiserate with it will help ease the pain.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

"Hello. My name is Pogo791, and I'm feeling the pain of being unequally yoked."

Yes, I've got to come out of the closet on this one. :guilty: My DW of 25+ (very happy!) years definitely does not share my love of Disney. She's gone along with me on visits to all four Disney parks, but resists going back again with a paraphrase of the "been there, done that" argument - and no amount of references to new attractions will get her to budge.

Now it seems that the only way I can get her to a Disney park is to wait for a new one to be built. She's agreed to come along to Hong Kong and even spend a day at Hong Kong Disneyland, as long as she can spend the rest of the time sightseeing elsewhere, and shopping. (HK Disneyland opens Sep 12; we're going soon thereafter.) As things stand, that means that after that trip, it'll be a long haul before the next time I can get her to a Disney park - probably in Shanghai!

Since we don't have kids, that means that every time I go to WDW, it's solo. :sad2:

But there are upsides. We do a lot of travelling together, and enjoy every minute; several vacations each year. She's very happy to have me scoot off every now and then for a week at WDW; I try to make it easier for her by arranging (and paying) for her trip during the same period to someplace she likes. And going to WDW solo has its advantages - I love getting up early for a jog and a morning coffee (fill my BWV mig to the brim, thank you kindly, hanname) and deciding then and there which park to get to, before the rope drop.

Although I'd love to share WDW and the other Disney parks with my significant other, I simply have to respect her likes and dislikes. I bought into the whole package, and I'm glad I did!

Bottom line, AreWeThereYet? As long as you're happy together (you have been married 18 years, so there must be something!), that's the main thing. And even if you can't share WDW with her, there are millions of people out there (many of them on this Board) who share your love for Disney ...

I suggested to my DH that we honeymoon at WDW. He thought I was crazy. We went to Jamaica and haven’t been back.

I grew up going to Disneyland several times a year. I warned my DH that we needed to visit Disneyland together before we got married. He thought I was crazy. He really thought I was crazy when he realized that I was SKIPPING down Main Street, but he married me any way.

I thought that one of the highlights of our trip to the Bahamas was when we changed planes at MCO and I got to have my picture taken with Minnie Mouse! He thought I was crazy, but finally agreed to visit WDW.

At WDW, he finally was overtaken by Pixie Dust and fell in love with the Mouse.

Now, he collects Disney Big Figs and has a Lilo & Stitch surfboard hanging over the entertainment center. We have replaced our antique quilt in the guest room with a comforter from SSR. He’s repainting the bedroom so we can hang curtains from ASM. We joined DVC because he can’t imagine staying off site at WDW.

Sometimes, I think he’s crazy, but at least we are now “evenly yoked.”! We are celebrating our 15th anniversary, our birthdays and our first trip home at BWV in October.

-- Suzanne

Granny said:
:rotfl2:

DW enjoys our DVC very much, but her interest in the parks is not nearly as avid as mine. In many ways, DVC "saved" our WDW trips for future years. :)

Granny,

Ditto for me!!

My wife has very little entusiasm about Disney but that seems to change when we are on vacation. It often bothers me that I have all this energy poured into all things Disney but have no one with whom I can share my passion of Disney with. She thinks I am a nut. But thank God for the DIS.

disfreak4life said:
......(snip).....thank God for the DIS.
YES! Without it, I'd have to spend all my time in the real world!

Best wishes -

disfreak4life said:
My wife has very little entusiasm about Disney but that seems to change when we are on vacation.

I tolf DW this very same thing last night. She becomes a kid again when we actually make it to WDW - especially when she sees Minnie, her fave.

Good to know I and others like me are not alone!! :banana:

I just noticed you live close to me Arewethereyet. (I am in Jonesboro, work near Cumberland) How about we ship hubby and yor DW off somewhere else and you and I head to the mouse :teeth:

Who needs a stinking "rental board" lol we can figure this out on our own if we really try!!!

DH liked Disney when we first started going, but said he did not want to go every year. In 2001 he started whining about wanting a motorcycle(which I did not want him to have). I knew he was going to buy it anyway with or without my consent, so I used it to my advantage and told him he could buy the motorcycle and I was buying VWL (about the same amount of money). He wasn't thrilled, but he signed the papers.He sold the motorcycle at a big loss a year later because he never had time to ride it!(I knew it would happen that way) We took probably 4 trips on our points and when we went in FEB, stayed at SSR (his pick) we attended the member update. I'm so sappy that the movie at the end about made me cry. I had already told him that I wanted to go meet our guide in person "just to say hello". We had never met (we bought over the phone). As we walked out of the update and headed to the sales center, DH told me that it was all my fault, that all he wanted to do anymore was go to WDW! I just smiled. So after our "just to say hello" meeting with Nick we got 150 more VWL points. (yeah, those points that DH said we weren't going to get for several more years ;) ) I think DH has really come around to loving WDW. In fact less than a week before Memorial Day, DH offered to take the family to Orlando over the long weekend (for my Birthday). After not being able to get any DVC reservations, and CRO being sold out, he said we could just stay offsite and go anyway. I think all the new ads for the anniversary celebration, the stunt show, soarin, were just killing him. I was trying to be the voice of reason telling how hot and crowded it was going to be. He said he knew, but he wanted to go anyway! So after 7 calls to CRO I finally landed a room at Pop Century for 4 nights. We did MGM and Epcot on Sat. and MK on Monday with my Sis and BIL and nieces. Sunday we just swam in the pool, and played mini golf at Winter Summerland( a first for us) Proabably one of the best trips we have ever had. Crowds weren't bad at all. Best of all DH wanted the trip to be a surprise for the kids and we were able to pull it off, especially since it was such short notice. On the way home DH said next time we go he wants to do the fishing excursion on Bay Lake. We try to do something on each trip that we have never done before. I told him that could easily be done on our March Spring Break trip (that I have already reserved at VWL, but hadn't told DH), and he just laughed. He said "you already made the reservations haven't you? I just smiled and asked if that would be okay. So anyway after all this rambling, you can see that I have sufficiently infected DH with "the" dust. I think that I like him much better this way too! :teeth: Maybe try some new stuff at the world that your wife hasn't done before, how about some spa time or something. Hopefully, she won't get to the point that she just doesn't want to go at all. Good luck to you.

ErinC - thanks for the great story...it was inspirational.

lllovell - sure. when's your next trip? I can send DW to the spa with DS2 and the marathon can begin!!! :rotfl:

I have it bad! We just got back from a short weekend for Star Wars Weekend :-)3dglasses ) and I swear, it just makes me want to go back MORE!!!

Maybe hubby has a point :crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter