Universal for a day worth it?

During your week vacation to WDW, would you take a day to go to Universal?

• Yes, I always try to do a day at Universal or other non-WDW park/attraction.

Votes: 31 45.6%
  • Possibly. If time and budget permitting I would consider another non-WDW Attraction.

Votes: 29 42.6%
  • No. I love WDW and would not leave property.

Votes: 8 11.8%

• Total voters
We enjoy Universal/IOA and WDW for what they are respectively. We like them for different reasons and try hard not compare them for the most part since they are pretty different.

I will say that I appreciate the ability to go with the flow at the Universal parks, and the rides are just fine. I think WDW has better overall theming, whereas Universal kind of lacks the charm in the walkways and public areas. We like how compact Universal and IOA are compared to WDW and that makes it easier for shorter trips IMO. And, while I've never had a BAD experience with anyone who works for Universal, I don't think they are up to par with WDW in that respect.

If you want to go then do it! I don't think you'll have a bad time.

We went to Universal in December for a day and while I liked the Harry Potter aspects, it wasn't enough. I love Disney for the theme... the magic... the atmosphere and outside of Harry Potter...there was none of that. I felt like it was the State Fair on steroids. I also noticed a lot of smokers walking around. I've never seen that at WDW and since I can't stand cigarette smoke it was a major turn off.

We went to Universal in December for a day and while I liked the Harry Potter aspects, it wasn't enough. I love Disney for the theme... the magic... the atmosphere and outside of Harry Potter...there was none of that. I felt like it was the State Fair on steroids. I also noticed a lot of smokers walking around. I've never seen that at WDW and since I can't stand cigarette smoke it was a major turn off.

Really? we found the smoking to be just the opposite. They have plenty of smoking areas, well marked and off the beaten path so not anyone just walking through. Never saw a single person smoking outside of the areas. But I have seen it plenty at WDW. Funny how different people can see things that are so different!

State Fair on steroids? LOL.

Jurassic Park, Super Hero Island, Suess Landing, the city streets. I WISH I could find a state fair like that!

After 10 years? I can't imagine stressing about something like that for 10 weeks, much less years.
Exaggerate much? I am certainly not stressing. I’ve got bigger things to worry about. I was merely recalling an unpleasant feeling at Universal, a strong enough memory to keep me from wasting another penny there in the future. I have a right to my opinion just as you do.

Peace out.

You absolutely are entitled to your own opinion, but I just can’t wrap my mind around comparing Universal to a state fair. All of IOA is themed to be pretty darn immersive, and most of USF is as well, although the main entrance area is meant to look like a production backlot so is a little bland. But otherwise the rest of the park is equivalent to anything in Hollywood Studios, at least.

I think it just goes to show that so many people can have radically different views and opinions. I do think many people don't give Universal a proper chance and some seem to go wanting to hate it.

Also I don't think many people realize how much crossover there is creatively between the two companies. I know of Imagineers who have gone to work for Universal, and vice versa. They utilize many of the same contractors to build their attractions.

Exaggerate much? I am certainly not stressing. I’ve got bigger things to worry about. I was merely recalling an unpleasant feeling at Universal, a strong enough memory to keep me from wasting another penny there in the future. I have a right to my opinion just as you do.

Peace out.

You were the one who said it leaves a bad feeling in your stomach ten years later. But whatever. Have a good evening.

I know some people love Universal, but it wasn't my cup of tea. Plenty of people don't like Disney, I can't understand that at all. To each his own. I would say to the OP... if you like Harry Potter go to Universal. If you like big coasters, go to Universal. Heck, if its doable at all- go check it out. You won't know if its for you until you try it.

And for the record, I was disappointed that I didn't like it.

i don’t think one day at universal would be worth it, 2 or 3 days is better.

I enjoy both parks, but just spent my last few nights on Disney property as the cost just doesn’t seem worth it to me anymore. The Disney part of my trips will be offsite for the foreseeable future. I now spend more nights at Univeral because I enjoy it more, even when I stay at Cabana Bay without express pass. My current mix is 3 nights Disney, 5 Universal per trip.

As someone who is going on my first time to both Universal and WDW this summer this topic is very enlightening of such a wide range of opions. Been to Universal Hollywood many years ago plus 2 trips to Disneyland but this is our first trip to Orlando We will be spending 4 nights at Universal ( Portofino Bay) and then moving to WDW (POR) for 7 nights. I am looking forward to both parks and can’t wait to visit both of them. Been watching many videos and like that we will experience both “bubbles” and forming my own option but right now I am super excited for both.

Can’t wait to see Harry Potter World in person!!!

Last edited:
I think everyone gets the point that you hate Universal. You can stop beating that dead horse anytime.
And you can stop trying to silence anyone who doesn’t enjoy Universal. You beat that dead horse on a regular basis. Readers are entitled to hear both sides on any thread that comes up on the issue of whether Universal is worth one’s time and money.

The poster I responded to was asking if two days at Universal was worth a potential expenditure of upwards of $1200! That’s a lot of money and I simply offered an opinion. One counter to yours, but an opinion nonetheless.

The worst money I ever spent at Disney was a character meal at Hollywood and Dine. Whenever a thread pops up asking if it’s worth going, worth the money, I always chime in with an answer about how poor a value it is. The whole point of these threads is to hear a variety of perspectives.

Last edited:
If Mermaid02 hasn't been to Universal in 10 years, I believe it has probably changed a lot since then. The first time we went was February 2017 and we thought the areas, especially the Wizarding World, were immersive and well done.

If Mermaid02 hasn't been to Universal in 10 years, I believe it has probably changed a lot since then. The first time we went was February 2017 and we thought the areas, especially the Wizarding World, were immersive and well done.
I was there in December 2017. HP was very good... the rest, imo lacked the "magic" that I feel at WDW.

And you can stop trying to silence anyone who doesn’t enjoy Universal. You beat that dead horse on a regular basis. Readers are entitled to hear both sides on any thread that comes up on the issue of weather Universal is worth one’s time and money.

The poster I responded to was asking if two days at Universal was worth a potential expenditure of potentially upwards of $1200! That’s a lot of money and I simply offered an opinion. One counter to yours, but an opinion nonetheless.

The worst money I ever spent at Disney was a character meal at Hollywood and Dine. Whenever a thread pops up asking if it’s worth going, worth the money, I always chime in with an answer about how poor a value it is. The whole point of these threads is to hear a variety of perspectives.

I don’t think it’s always (not sure about the pp because I haven’t read other things she has said on this subject) that someone doesn’t like Universal. It’s the comments like it’s “like 6 Flags” or compared to a state fair. Or saying it’s dirty and not well maintained. None of that is really true. Saying you don’t like something, just not your cup of tea or not the type of attractions you like is different than saying things that aren’t really true.

Universal, like Disney, is a beautiful park. Very well themed and immaculate. Sure there are things about it that some people may find they don’t like and yes it has more thrill rides but come on. To act like Disney is the one all theme parks aspire to be and Universal is a cheap knock off of the local fair is a bit much.

I love both places. But I will say there are things that have had us a bit disappointed in Disney the last few visits and Universal out did them on those points. But I am not going to say Disney is a filthy place and the attractions are all breaking down and all the CMs are rude. That would be a horrible exaggeration and simply not true.

I don’t think it’s always (not sure about the pp because I haven’t read other things she has said on this subject) that someone doesn’t like Universal. It’s the comments like it’s “like 6 Flags” or compared to a state fair. Or saying it’s dirty and not well maintained. None of that is really true. Saying you don’t like something, just not your cup of tea or not the type of attractions you like is different than saying things that aren’t really true.

Universal, like Disney, is a beautiful park. Very well themed and immaculate. Sure there are things about it that some people may find they don’t like and yes it has more thrill rides but come on. To act like Disney is the one all theme parks aspire to be and Universal is a cheap knock off of the local fair is a bit much.

I love both places. But I will say there are things that have had us a bit disappointed in Disney the last few visits and Universal out did them on those points. But I am not going to say Disney is a filthy place and the attractions are all breaking down and all the CMs are rude. That would be a horrible exaggeration and simply not true.
Your point is well taken. I have never compared Universal to a six flags or state fair. My biggest beef has always been their ability to move people (in my experience, again only mine, it’s poor) and overall perceived value. I’ve praised the Universal resorts and acknowledged that the Harry Potter areas are well done. However, the thread is about whether adding a day or two at Universal is worth the money. When a person is looking at shelling out upwards of $1200 to do so, I stand by my opinion that it is not.

I’ll add that if someone was asking if adding a day or two at Disney was a good value after a Universal trip, I’d probably say no. Pricing for a day or two at either resort is outrageous. Both resorts reward longer stays.

Last edited:

An opinion is an opinion. I felt like every time I turned around someone at Universal was walking towards me with a lit cigarette in their hand... I found the themes (other than HP) to be lackluster.... However, the employees were very nice. I am really not sure why people take this so personally. I will say I don't think I prepared well enough for the day trip to Universal. I know Disney like the back of my hand- getting around is a breeze and at Universal I was the proverbial fish out of water.

I say probably not -- and I am a Universal AP holder.

Unless you really really want to go, and have a specific game plan, you will be exhausted trying to fit it in a single day.

If you're fans and only wanting Harry Potter, a single day Park to Park pass would get everything done.

But if you want to see everything else, aside from a few highlights (I have to recommend the Mummy. Lol), you'll be run ragged, and you won't feel the cost is worth it.

Our first trip, we had 3-day passes and thought we were golden. We still skipped a good 30-40% of the parks without express. Mind you, we had 9, 14 and 15 year olds with us.

You think you'll have time, and then you fall into Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade and whoa! They are so immersive and even after 5 trips, I can spend an entire day just there, staring at everything. Lol

I love UOR, but a single day will leave you frazzled, sweaty and tired. And probably very grumpy that you spent that much. Sort of like when we tried to take 6ppl between 10-65 for a single day at Magic Kingdom! It loses a bit of the magic when you're in such a hurry to go-go-go...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter