Universal FP- Should I pay for it?

rockinmom

Earning My Ears
I am taking my ASD son to WDW and Universal from April 17th thru the 24th. We have planned Disney from the 17th thru the morning of the 21st, then will transfer over to Cabana Bay for the rest of our trip. I recently read the US does not honor ASD on their version of the disability pass. Now I am getting nervous. Should I pay the extra for the fast pass service offered to ensure my son can actually enjoy the vacation?

If you think it would help and give you peace of mind, absolutely. Look into some of the other US resorts too. In our research we discovered that staying a couple of nights at a US hotel that offers Express pass was actually cheaper than adding on the pass separately.

That said, technically the US disability pass is for all disabilities, including ASD but it is EXTREMELY hard to get. I'm sure you could also try a day and see how it goes, then add the pass for the other days. We went for rope drop on a Haunted Halloween Nights day and the park was empty until early afternoon. We didn't wait in any line longer than 20 minutes. Depending on events of the day and timing, you may not need one.

When we were there the accommdation they offered for the issues relating to my daughters asd was the alternative waiting room. They had the rest of our party wait in line, while my daughter and I went to a waiting room near the front of the line. We were supposed to wait there and when the others got to the front of the line we would join them. The idea is it's a quieter space with room to move around. The reality was there were 2 other kids having meltdowns, which triggered my daughter so we left without riding. Creating a buffer zone in the regular line probably would have worked better. If we ever return, we would either stay on property or buy the pass

When we were there the accommdation they offered for the issues relating to my daughters asd was the alternative waiting room. They had the rest of our party wait in line, while my daughter and I went to a waiting room near the front of the line. We were supposed to wait there and when the others got to the front of the line we would join them. The idea is it's a quieter space with room to move around. The reality was there were 2 other kids having meltdowns, which triggered my daughter so we left without riding. Creating a buffer zone in the regular line probably would have worked better. If we ever return, we would either stay on property or buy the pass

Being just me and my son, I dont see how that would work for us so I may have to pay for the pass. I will look into the upgrading hotel route to see if that is a better option too. Thanks guys!

Definitely look into upgrading your hotel to one of the 3 that offer the express pass. It would also give you unlimited express pass so if you a ride he loves you can do it over and over.

Definitely look into upgrading your hotel to one of the 3 that offer the express pass. It would also give you unlimited express pass so if you a ride he loves you can do it over and over.

Royal Pacific is not that much more than Cabana Bay, and it is a lovely hotel with express pass included in the price. The hotel has a lovely soothing environment that your son may enjoy after the chaos of Disneyworld and Universal Parks. We actually prefer Hard Rock because we found Royal to be so quiet it felt like we had to use our quiet inside voices while walking around the grounds.

See my profile pic! We have had no problems getting disability pass at Universal. My son has autism and you can't really miss it if you spend 5 minutes with him. Pacing, flapping, loud talking, etc. They were very kind and it was very quick. I think UO is "stricter" in that they will suggest different and less "generous" alternatives if you have other issues that require accommodation, but with autism we didn't have an issue.

As a matter of fact, we found it more effective than Disney's GAC, in that we were allowed in the Express Pass line if the posted wait was less than 30 minutes. When it was just the 2 of us, we were often directed to the Express Pass line when we went to request a return time even when the posted wait exceeded 30 minutes. The team members were exceedingly kind. My only tip is to bring a pen! Sometimes the cast member at the line didn't have one.

That said, the deluxe hotels are awesome!

I think those rooms are only in a few rides. They are the child swap rooms. Used in Harry Potter, which until recently did not have express so not sure how they would deal with a DAS like situation there. The other ride I have seen the waiting room is Transformers. I know of no other waiting rooms in the park.

See my profile pic! We have had no problems getting disability pass at Universal. My son has autism and you can't really miss it if you spend 5 minutes with him. Pacing, flapping, loud talking, etc. They were very kind and it was very quick. I think UO is "stricter" in that they will suggest different and less "generous" alternatives if you have other issues that require accommodation, but with autism we didn't have an issue.

As a matter of fact, we found it more effective than Disney's GAC, in that we were allowed in the Express Pass line if the posted wait was less than 30 minutes. When it was just the 2 of us, we were often directed to the Express Pass line when we went to request a return time even when the posted wait exceeded 30 minutes. The team members were exceedingly kind. My only tip is to bring a pen! Sometimes the cast member at the line didn't have one.

While it was kind of them to let you in without having to wait when the wait exceeded 30 minutes I would not expect that to be the norm. Like the pixie dust at Disney people talk about. The team members really do want the guests to have a good time, but if they let everyone in the express pass without the wait on crowded summer days it would quickly get out hand. With hotel guests using the express and disabled guests being sent in the express would stop being express. Kind of what happened at Disney with the old card. The express lines would be overwhelmed.

While it was kind of them to let you in without having to wait when the wait exceeded 30 minutes I would not expect that to be the norm. Like the pixie dust at Disney people talk about. The team members really do want the guests to have a good time, but if they let everyone in the express pass without the wait on crowded summer days it would quickly get out hand. With hotel guests using the express and disabled guests being sent in the express would stop being express. Kind of what happened at Disney with the old card. The express lines would be overwhelmed.

Oh yes, it certainly wasn't expected and didn't happen all the time. It may have been "pixie dust" or -since express pass use isn't allocated to predictable, known windows of time like fast pass - it may have been that the person at the door knew not a lot of people were in the express pass line at that moment. Sending us through the line right then might have made more sense from an aggregate line management perspective than having us wait 45 minutes. When, in 45 minutes, there might be 100 ppl in the express line.
Kind of like how standby moves faster when there is no one on the fast pass line.

Universal absolutely honors Autism on their pass! I would bring a dr. note just in case there is any question of his ability to wait. They will ask questions and they’re not trying to be rude, just think of it as making sure they’re not giving the pass out to people who don’t really require it. I actually appreciate this because I have stood in lines and heard people bragging about getting it and not having to buy Express passes.
That being said, if switching hotels is in the budget it might be worth it. Along with getting free Express it is SO much easier to get to the parks from HR, Royal and Porto!

This was my experience. I've never had a bit of trouble getting it for my ASD son. That said, we stay at hotels with EP as much as we can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter