Universal Hotel Should I or not

Rick Walmsley

Earning My Ears
Hi all

Have not posted on this forum before but have on others.

After 8 years saving and much planning I depart for Florida on 30th July for a whole month!!!

My itinerary is as follows-

1. 17 days at HIFS
2. Family sleepover at Discovery Cove
3. 8 days Hilton Grand Vacation Club
4. 4 days At AKL

Even at this late stage I am now tempted to leave HGVC early and spend 2-3 days at one of the Universal hotels( my plans had me visiting Universal/IOA at this time anyway)

Very tempted by the front of the line guest priviliges and of course the hotels look great.

It is too late for me to trawl through all your threads (because there are so many of them and so much information)

With this in mind please give me your opinions on the following ( the more info the better)

1. Should I do it?

2. Which hotel do I go for?

3. Best place to book ( I have used Hotel Kingdom's rates and entertainment card rate for most of my other bookings)

Any help is appreciated

Rick

YES, just for the FOTL. It makes visiting the parks so much easier. You can really see everything in 2 days with FOTL. I have heard people say they would book the cheapest room for one night to get the 2 days FOTL and keep their other room. I don't know that I would go that far, but we are local and visit frequently and find the FOTL to make the expereince, especially in the summer, 100 times better. As far as where to stay, that's a hard call, it is such a personal preference. We stayed at PBH, great rooms, a nice calm break from the crowds. Next time my kids want to try HR. I don't think you can go wrong. I found the best rate using the Entertainment Card. We were gone for a week, a whole month....boy I envy you!!!

My favorite is HRH. I like the location of it and the pool!

Entertainment rate and Universal Fan Club rates are the best usually.

Good luck!

Hello Rick Walmsley- All I can say is WOW! 30 days for vacation. I agree with the other poster, the Hard Rock Hotel at Universal is great. It's about a 3 minute walk to Universal Studios and another 3-5 minute walk to Islands of Adventure. The front of the line privaledges are worth the extra costs of staying there. The Entertainment rate is usually 125.00 per nite. You can call direct at 1-800- BE A STAR. (232-7827)If it isn't available when you call try adding or deleting some days to get the entertainment rate for some of your dates. I've found it easier to then add on more days and still get the Entertainment rate. Also try to join the Loews first club 1-800-LOEWS-12, www.loewshotels.com They have nice perks and its free to join. ( at this late of a date, just get your member # on the phone and bring it with you ) If anyone in your group is over 60, you could get the senior rate at HIFS. I've seen the room rates as low as 79.00 per nite. The HIFS is a great hotel, I'm sure you'll love it

We are staying at HRH in November. I got the buy 3nights get 4th free on Hotelkingdom.com. If your stayng 30 days I would definetely go to Universal. It's a whole different experience!

I am new to this board as well, but I have been reviewing the threads for weeks. We are going for our 1st trip to US/IOA and staying onsite at the Royal Pacific - can't wait. Wanted to offer my perspective as a US/IOA "newbie" who is learning a lot quickly. We are DIS veterans and wanted to try US/IOA. I would not even consider it until we could find a good rate to stay onsite with FOTL access. I have heard incredible things about the perk and know how much we use Fastpass at WDW with two small children. We will be there Aug. 4 - 8 (Enter. Rate). From everything I have gathered on these boards, one could be quite miserable without FOTL access right now - waits of 60 - 90 minutes have been reported in the heat. If you are a first timer, you would have to stand in these incredible lines to see everything - no way!! The lines could possibly clear a little in two weeks, but I would not chance it - 'specially with the new Shrek and Jimmy Neutron rides. Even if you buy the Express pass for limited FOTL access, you are paying quite a bit per day/per person/per park and are limited to one ride per attraction per day per person. CRAZY!! Better off just staying onsite - you are probably paying quite a bit to stay at the HGVC. When you factor in FOTL, walking distance to parks/water taxi service, etc., etc., it is so worth it. Even though WDW does not offer FOTL, we really try to stay onsite each visit - totally different experience.

One footnote to remember - the US/IOA hotels (Loews hotels) allow pets in the rooms - limited to the first 3 floors of the towers (generally just Tower 2). I have read the rooms are cleaned thoroughly, but a person with pet allergies could have a problem or a person may not wish to stay behind a pet. If so, you may want to ask for a higher floor to avoid a pet room. Make it very clear in your reservation notes.

You may have luck with the Enter. Rate for later in August. I would try that first and keep trying - even when you reach Orlando. Things change constantly with reservations. You are so lucky to have such a long vacation! Enjoy!!! Hope this has helped!

Hi all

After all the good advice it was too hard to resist.

I have managed to book three nights at The Royal pacific Resort, water view room , entertainment rate of $125 :D :D :D :D

Have also joined Loews first club 1 as suggetsed.

Thanks for all the help

Busy researching all your other threads now

Rick

I have to agree with the rest. STAY ON SITE. We stayed at the HRH and even with a few glitches it is a deluxe resort. I miss it as I write this. I would stay there just to stay there!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter