Unplugged Chit Chat Thread

Well, I was going to go snorkeling at our new private park, but a handmade sign changed that......"Beware, possible aggressive alligator". Spoke to our security guard and he said a woman was snorkeling this week and a 4' gator swam for her. Generally, an alligator is deemed a nuisance if it is at least 4 feet in length and the caller believes it poses a threat to people, pets or property.

Hopefully, they trapped/relocated/terminated it. I'll try again this week and will keep my head on a swivel.

IMG_20200904_120242_5.jpgIMG_20200904_120401_6.jpgIMG_20200904_120204_5.jpg

My parents are celebrating 51 years of marriage today. :eek: Both sets of grandparents were married for over 60 years before someone passed away. This is just amazing. :lovestruc
Congrats to your folks!

My parents celebrated in May their 50th and it would had be 60 years this weekend for dh;s parents ...if FIL had survived (he died a couple of months before what would had been their 49th...he tried his best to fight for his extra year past initial diagnosed time frame).

Congrats to your folks!

My parents celebrated in May their 50th and it would had be 60 years this weekend for dh;s parents ...if FIL had survived (he died a couple of months before what would had been their 49th...he tried his best to fight for his extra year past initial diagnosed time frame).
Happy Anniversary to your folks. That is awesome. I am sorry for the loss of your father in law.

I'm now meeting with builders and have heard about gopher turtles and the impact a nest can have on your Florida lot. Apparently, they are considered endangered and you either have to leave a 25' radius from the hole undisturbed or hire a certified and licensed "relocator" to move the nest.....and that isn't cheap. I did ask the question about what is the natural predator for a gopher turtle? It was met with stares.

I'm now meeting with builders and have heard about gopher turtles and the impact a nest can have on your Florida lot. Apparently, they are considered endangered and you either have to leave a 25' radius from the hole undisturbed or hire a certified and licensed "relocator" to move the nest.....and that isn't cheap. I did ask the question about what is the natural predator for a gopher turtle? It was met with stares.
"A number of other species also prey upon gopher tortoises, including the raccoon, which is the primary egg and hatchling predator, gray foxes, striped skunks, nine-banded armadillos, dogs, and snakes. Red imported fire ants also have been known to prey on hatchlings. ",,,Wikipedia
It sounds like a difficult choice either way. We had fire ants at our old house and the colonies were controlled mostly by neighbors' chickens and some spray stuff from Lowes/Home Depot.

DH saw a fox last night along our street and in the past snakes, deer, and lots of toads/reptiles/amphibians.

I have been thinking about starting a discussion but I really don't know where it belongs if anywhere. I don't feel like the layoff threads are the correct place, I do not want to take away from the immense upheaval and significant personal impact the CMs are facing. It would reason many of them may need to move out of Florida and/or California now and that is an incredible life change.

Without trying to take away from that, I have to tell you all I am pretty discouraged. I am really deeply concerned that Disney will never be "Disney" again. I heard today two shows at DL were permanently removed and I greatly valued both of them. After one of my last DL trips that I planned for myself and travel companions, they MARVELED, "you told us so many things to look forward to and you never told us about the Frozen show and I truly though that was one of the most magical parts." I worry about the delays in DL opening and how deep the cuts will go and also worry about the pandemic and health of so many.

Folks, here is the part I feel almost selfish to say. I haven't made it to WDW yet. Twice I have had worked to make plans, once during a Dis meet and both times work and family obligations required them to be delayed. And now...reading about Yehaa Bob, and so many other things gone I am so worried I missed that window. I worry about the People Mover. I worry about the rising costs and cuts.

I know there are lives being lost, so much to deeply and thoughtfully consider in regards to the pandemic. I know it sounds so silly but I really worry about the Disney magic and whether it will survive Covid. I have not found any comfort in the words or actions of Josh or the Bobs that they are on the right track.

Anyways, I am just getting a bit lost as this drags on. I hope I get to see WDW for all that it is intended to be. My very non-Disney partner suggested we pull the trigger, saying they want to see if before it's too late or they get too old to enjoy it. They say let's do it and make it our one and done. I have expressed doubts and hesitation to them, and while I haven't verbalized it to them...

The truth is I am worried it already is too late.

I am really deeply concerned that Disney will never be "Disney" again.
I totally get this.

For years, my wife and I have talked about retiring to the Disney area. In more recent years, it's become more of getting a place there but keeping our house in NJ and not fully moving. But most recently, even before Covid but especially since, I'm really starting to wonder about even that plan. Before Covid, I was finding the tremendous crowds made our trips less and less magical, but I figured if we lived there, we'd be able to come and go whenever, stay away during the peak crowd times and hottest weather, and mainly visit at other more manageable times.

Now, crowds aren't the issue. Cuts in staff and activities is the problem. And it isn't just at Disney. I haven't heard too much but I suspect that many restaurants and businesses in the area are failing just as they are across the country. We are planning to head down in March for the GKTW event and I'm really wondering what the area is going to look like by then. I know our favorite restaurant, Sweet Tomatoes, is already gone. I'm sure some of our other regular joints will have disappeared as well. It might not just be Disney that has lost its magic.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to all of my Canadian friends here, especially @samsteele . I give thanks for our Friends to the North every day!
Thanks @SorcererHeidi ! You and the Boards have been supportive to me and all Canadians for so many years. Giving thanks right back at you and my cousins to the South. Think I left just a little bit of Turkey for your Thanksgiving. Maybe. :D

Hi everyone! We took a vacation. Road trip thru Nevada and Utah. It has been so nice. A wonderful change of scenery.
I completely understand about Disney not being Disney. Disney World has always been my dream. Now I am wondering if I should shove it back a few years and just take a family trip to Japan.

Almost time for a new season of Mandalorian ...next week is full of family birthdays which mine is middle of them. I think we might splurge on some burgers from Cowfish since dh is still out of work (had some more interviews...needs to finish his tests for best chance). I might make the cake or pie and have blow out the candles since he was too sick on his birthday. I don't know if we have matches or a lighter...we use batteries in led candles for the past year or 2.
We did early voting Thursday (no wait 30 minutes before closing) and did a our big grocery run. The cashier gave dh a senior discount (not sure why..he is 50 and not much grey visible...maybe is was for voting. We are starting to stock up on certain items. There was huge selections of hand wipes so we got some for the car.

Almost time for a new season of Mandalorian ...next week is full of family birthdays which mine is middle of them. I think we might splurge on some burgers from Cowfish since dh is still out of work (had some more interviews...needs to finish his tests for best chance). I might make the cake or pie and have blow out the candles since he was too sick on his birthday. I don't know if we have matches or a lighter...we use batteries in led candles for the past year or 2.
We did early voting Thursday (no wait 30 minutes before closing) and did a our big grocery run. The cashier gave dh a senior discount (not sure why..he is 50 and not much grey visible...maybe is was for voting. We are starting to stock up on certain items. There was huge selections of hand wipes so we got some for the car.
I hope he finds something soon!!!! My grocery stores are still pretty spotty when it comes to wipes, tp, and bleach products. The joys of living in the boonies.

@NC Belle
I would like to wish you a very happy and HEALTHY birthday early, for next week! :bday:
My area of Central New Jersey has gotten better in the last few months for food supply and grocery delivery availability, thank goodness, although it may start getting bad again, with numbers rising, and winter is coming. (That felt like I was on Game of Thrones, which I've never even seen!). :rotfl2: I had a tough time of it in March through about June or so, and am worried it may get tight again. I have stocked up on a LOT of stuff, in caste that happens, and will just ride it out, forgoing fresh food items, etc. until it gets better again. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do! I will agree with @superme80 that it still can be hard to get some paper products, a lot of cleaning products, and FORGET looking for ANY kind of disinfectant wipes, unless you're willing to pay a king's ransom. I did score some alcohol wipes on Amazon, and am making do with them.

@NC Belle
I would like to wish you a very happy and HEALTHY birthday early, for next week! :bday:
My area of Central New Jersey has gotten better in the last few months for food supply and grocery delivery availability, thank goodness, although it may start getting bad again, with numbers rising, and winter is coming. (That felt like I was on Game of Thrones, which I've never even seen!). :rotfl2: I had a tough time of it in March through about June or so, and am worried it may get tight again. I have stocked up on a LOT of stuff, in caste that happens, and will just ride it out, forgoing fresh food items, etc. until it gets better again. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do! I will agree with @superme80 that it still can be hard to get some paper products, a lot of cleaning products, and FORGET looking for ANY kind of disinfectant wipes, unless you're willing to pay a king's ransom. I did score some alcohol wipes on Amazon, and am making do with them.
Dollar General has been my saving grace! We usually only use disinfecting wipes for cleaning the litter box or cleaning the counter after preparing chicken.

:cake: We had a nice dinner tonight from Cowfish and we splurged on 2 desserts. I picked the chocolate moose/brownie one because my birthday is on World Chocolate Day. We have leftovers on the sides. NC Beast did not realized that my burger choice, The Texas Longhorn, comes with jalapenos so he had requested as an additional topping plus avocado plus it has awesome jalapeno bacon. I had some real extra spicy bites that made me tear up. My mom called at that time and thought it was funny that I tearing up and stuff (I love spice/heat). DH had the truffle cheese one and Cowfish was awesome in reducing some of the sodium levels and able to skip the extra salting. We did takeout because we feel more comfortable these days still at home, however we might try to take Oreo to eat at their patio area, but we never try that with a dog before and she might be too bored/restless.

I sort of regret being sucked back in to NBC's This is Us. One of my first cousins turned 40 Tuesday and it got me a bit teary...I remember hearing about his birth just before opening my birthday gift...slot car track set. My dad was on the West Coast traveling because of his job that month (it may have been a yearly thing for 3 plus years). I remember my sister got a stereo/pa system that we used later on for girl scouts meetings. I believed I was happy that it was not a Halloween costume/theme gift. I tried to be Princess Leia....had long hair to do some braids...but had no white costume or real SW costume...we only went to 3 houses to visit the senior neighbors.

Dance started up this week. Very nervous my governor will shut us down again, I'm in California, so I am trying to enjoy it while I can. My youngest got sick on Thursday, so Halloween got cancelled. We stayed home, watched movies, and got take out. Pretty sure his sickness was from spicy food, but I didn't want to take any chances!

Wanted to share an update we decided not to go. I had booked several dinings just in case and have since canceled them.

But they stayed in my personal calendar so I am getting dinged with alerts about these reservations. I am busy stressing at work and there is a reminder ding “Reservation at Disney’s Prime time cafe in 30 minutes....” O

Lol so I am over here engaging in serious self-torture. Ugh, I hope everyone is well. My partner and my family are both trying to decide about Thanksgiving and it is very difficult.

I come from a very large family. I have many brothers and sisters, many who are married with families.

It’s tough. It’s really tough. Sending everyone light and good wishes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts