Update on Plus Size Overweight Woman Seat Sizing - Too fat for Universal?

DukeGirl

Earning My Ears
Hello,

I wanted to share my story of how I fit in various seats at Universal. I had a lot of anxiety prior to going to the park, and wanted to pay it forward and thank those who shared in forums so that I knew what to expect. This might be extra helpful for those of you with large thighs.

Me by the numbers:

- 5’8
- 250lbs
- Size 18 or 2x on top (usually)
- Size 20 on bottom
- Chest: 46”-47” but very compressible
- Waist (smallest part): 40”-41”
- Belly: fluctuates, but 49”ish
- Hips: 50”-51”
- Thighs: 32” each at largest point

Harry Potter – Forbidden Journey: Ive used both the modified and unmodified seat, but prefer the modified seat. They were nice when I used the tester seat out front (got green) and I was not pulled from the line to try the inside tester seat which is very publicly on display. If this ride weren’t going to fit, it is very apparent that my thighs would be what prevent the shoulder bar from coming down far enough.

Harry Potter – Escape from Gringotts: I was a surprisingly close fit according to the tester seat. I had to push down firmly to get the green light and even then it went between red and green. The bar had issues with my thighs, not my stomach. I have heard the tester seat is not as generous as the actual seat and had no issues fitting on the ride. I was in the last row both times which is set up for longer legs – my feet didn’t even touch the floor.

The Hulk: The most uncomfortable seat of all the rides. A rigid seat that is probably about 15” wide. I was able to painfully squeeze into the seat itself, which is the same size for the modified and the regular seat. I opted for the modified seat because I didn’t get a chance to try the regular tester as kids were in it, but the shoulder bar fit fine. I estimate I had about 1.5” of slack in the safety belts. If your hips are much above 51”, this ride just isn’t worth the squeeze.

Rip Ride Rocket: Short story: I fit all the seats. Long Story: I tried the two tester seats out front (row 3 and 4), and was told I could fit in all the seats but Row 3 clearly fit better. The person told me row 3 was modified, and 4 represented a regular seat. Given the green light for any seat, I opted for front row, and while the waist restraint did latch, I just didn’t feel as secure as I would have liked. I survived though. Next time around, I requested a modified seat, and several young employees kept telling me to go to row 4. It didn’t seem to fit any better than row 1. After the ride I was told Row 3 is a deeper seat, and I remember the tester seat fit much more securely. I was told row 4 is a wider seat, but this is different than what they originally said. It will remain a mystery but in my personal experience Row 3 is more likely to accommodate you if you are wider around and Row 4 seems just as small as all of the other seats. I was previously told Row 3 and 6 are modified so many conflicting stories, but if you’re wider around request row 3. In this case, don’t expect the park attendants to know what they are doing, and simply insist on row 3.

The Mummy: All seats fit OK but a bit uncomfortable squish around the thighs. This didn’t detract from the ride.

Ripsaw Falls: As other reviews have mentioned, the seat is awkward. If you don’t have super short legs, you must be able to push yourself up entirely with yours arms (as if you were getting out of a bathtub) so you can get your feet under you.

ET: The bike seat is a tight squeeze from a comfort point of view (maybe 15-16” wide), but no issues with the restraint.

No Issues: Men In Black, Transformers, Jurassic Park, Popeye & Bluto’s Bilge-Rat Barges

Good luck and keep your head up!

Thanks for the update! A little less anxiety now. Also hoping I can lose maybe 25 lbs by our trip in early April.

I wish I’d seen your original post. I’m shorter than you, and squeezed into a 22 at my heaviest, and I was fine everywhere. I could have helped to allay your worries.

At FJ in that size range they just casually send people to the ends, no biggie, at least in my experience.

And I didn’t even know RRR had different seats. Hmm.

I wish I’d seen your original post. I’m shorter than you, and squeezed into a 22 at my heaviest, and I was fine everywhere. I could have helped to allay your worries.

At FJ in that size range they just casually send people to the ends, no biggie, at least in my experience.

And I didn’t even know RRR had different seats. Hmm.

Thanks for the note! Everywhere I read was very much "it depends on your body type!" and I heard all kinds of conflicting things. It helped knowing what to expect. I thought I would *probably* be OK but heard a few rides were tough to fit, such as RRR. The 3rd row modified seat definitely enveloped me more. They have a tester out front with two different sizes. Maybe it is new since there were so many complaints. Now if we can just get a Hulk seat that can more comfortably accommodate someone with big hips!

Also, you didn't miss anything, this is my first post :) I just called it an update since it is after the trip.

This is soothing a lot of my worries right now, I've been worrying ever since my mother mentioned something since we last went about 6 years ago and I didn't have any problems but I have put on a bit of weight since them -
- 5’4
- 255lbs
- Size 20 (US)/ 24(UK) on bottom
- Chest: 46”-47” not squished at all
- Waist (smallest part): 46”
- Belly: fluctuates, but 50”ish
- Hips: 50”-51” (sucking in or sitting upright, which I would do on the rides)
- Thighs: 28” each at largest point

Basically, you've really helped put my mind to rest a little, I'll still be a little nervous, but we're roughly the same size, just a few differences. My whole issue is that my family love the front row so I didn't really want to be separated from them for the modified seats. I will try to slim down but I'm only just back on meds so it might not happen and I'm off in two weeks so it was a big worry point

This is soothing a lot of my worries right now, I've been worrying ever since my mother mentioned something since we last went about 6 years ago and I didn't have any problems but I have put on a bit of weight since them -
- 5’4
- 255lbs
- Size 20 (US)/ 24(UK) on bottom
- Chest: 46”-47” not squished at all
- Waist (smallest part): 46”
- Belly: fluctuates, but 50”ish
- Hips: 50”-51” (sucking in or sitting upright, which I would do on the rides)
- Thighs: 28” each at largest point

Basically, you've really helped put my mind to rest a little, I'll still be a little nervous, but we're roughly the same size, just a few differences. My whole issue is that my family love the front row so I didn't really want to be separated from them for the modified seats. I will try to slim down but I'm only just back on meds so it might not happen and I'm off in two weeks so it was a big worry point

Glad I could help! I would definitely try all the tester seats, but it seems like you should be good to go! I would consider the 3rd row for Rip Ride Rocket; as there are only 2 seats in each row not many can sit in front which should encourage someone to join you in the 3rd row. Have fun!

I'll add to the thread. I'm 5'4" and have gotten down to 240 (lost 27 lbs since January-well, maybe not after the butterbeer yesterday). I don't have measurements, but I have a big belly and not a huge chest or thighs for my weight. I generally wear size 2x tops and dresses and now 20 pants.

I fit Forbidden Journey and Gringott's easily. I have to say the Team Member in front of Forbidden Journey was very nice...even let my son know that I fit easily and complimented my dress. :)
While I fit Forbidden Journey, I could see how big chest/belly is the problem on that ride while thighs would be the problem on Gringotts.

ETA: Hippogriff was fine for me but not my 40 lb 6 year old next to me. He felt like he was going to fall off the ride.
The Mummy was also fine, I did ask for the larger seat.
Bilge rat barges were fine, but I do wonder if some might need a seat belt extender?

I'm not going to try RRR or Hulk ever. I would do Ripsaw Falls, but my tween chickened out and I didn't want to go alone.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting and including measurements. This helps so much more than just sizes as those can really vary. I've lost over 100lbs in the last year and we are not considering our first visit to Universal because I finally feel like it will be worth it since I can now fit in the rides that I wouldn't have been able to before.

Congrats on your weight loss!

I hope you will be able to enjoy all the rides in the parks

Another thing is I always encourage people to not give up depending on how close you are. Most of the time you'll have a ride attendant that will assist, or give a light push when they check your bar. However, sometimes you'll get someone that will not help at all, or want you to check the bar yourself. I've only gotten rejected twice while on FJ and one of those times I even went back the same day at a much later time and got on, because of that. However, I would imagine the way you sit as well might affect you as well.

For those that are curious, I believe I was around 260 at the time, I'm 5' 3", and I do not have measurements, sorry.

Hi, I am going to universal next week. I am 5'4 and 259lbs I carry most of my weight in my hips and thighs ( size 20 pants) ( XL top). My hips/butt are about 58 in. I work in a furniture store and the smallest arm chair seat I can fit in has a 16.5in width seat ( and that is squeezing in). My shoulders are about 16" across, and I am only a C cup. I have a 38" waist. Do you think I would be able to ride all of the rides?

@Labribr I believe so, but would still need to seat test / might have to have TMs give you a push. As I’ve been a couple of pounds heavier and a slightly bigger bust and still managed to still get on rides. But there are so many different measurements and what not, which is why I suggest doing a test seating and not being surprised if it doesn’t work out. Others have even claimed they test seats and the actual seats are different, so unsure if that is actually true. Someone else might be able to reassure you more however.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!