US to lift travel ban for foreign air travellers who show proof of vaccination

"The CDC said "individuals who have any combination of two doses of an FDA approved/authorized or WHO emergency use listed COVID-19 two-dose series are considered fully vaccinated.""
It's the 'WHO emergency use listed COVID-19 two-dose series' part that makes me VERY hopeful!!!

"The CDC said "individuals who have any combination of two doses of an FDA approved/authorized or WHO emergency use listed COVID-19 two-dose series are considered fully vaccinated.""

https://www.cp24.com/news/u-s-will-...cines-from-international-travellers-1.5625453
Fingers crossed this means what I hope it means.
I hope so too. I really want to book a cruise as a christmas present for my husband and most cruise lines are going with what the cdc says

Upon reading further it's still vague: The CDC said "individuals who have any combination of two doses of an FDA approved/authorized or WHO emergency use listed COVID-19 two-dose series are considered fully vaccinated."

The fda and the who have not approved moxed AZ/MRNA

I hope so too. I really want to book a cruise as a christmas present for my husband and most cruise lines are going with what the cdc says

Upon reading further it's still vague: The CDC said "individuals who have any combination of two doses of an FDA approved/authorized or WHO emergency use listed COVID-19 two-dose series are considered fully vaccinated."

The fda and the who have not approved moxed AZ/MRNA
But I thought the WHO specifically did authorize an AstraZeneca/MRNA mix for emergency use. In fact I know they did because I’ve been worried that “Emergency Use” wouldn’t count as “approved” for the purposes of letting us over . It sounds very much to me like we are good to go !

This CBC article states any combo will be accepted.

"WHO-approved vaccines include Moderna, Pfizer, AstraZeneca and its Indian-made counterpart, Covishield. So travellers with any combination of these vaccines will be allowed to enter the U.S.

The CDC does not recognize mixing COVID-19 vaccines but said it updated its guidance to reflect growing global acceptance of the practice.

"While CDC has not recommended mixing types of vaccine in a primary series, we recognize that this is increasingly common in other countries so should be accepted for the interpretation of vaccine records," CDC spokesperson Kristen Nordlund said in an email. "

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/u-s-canadian-travellers-mixed-vaccines-1.6213176

But I thought the WHO specifically did authorize an AstraZeneca/MRNA mix for emergency use. In fact I know they did because I’ve been worried that “Emergency Use” wouldn’t count as “approved” for the purposes of letting us over . It sounds very much to me like we are good to go !
Yes they did authorize AZ/MRNA mix. That's why I think all of us mixed vaxx folks will be okay!

This is what I read on the WHO website

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211015-194536_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211015-194536_Chrome.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 15
This CBC article states any combo will be accepted.

"WHO-approved vaccines include Moderna, Pfizer, AstraZeneca and its Indian-made counterpart, Covishield. So travellers with any combination of these vaccines will be allowed to enter the U.S.

The CDC does not recognize mixing COVID-19 vaccines but said it updated its guidance to reflect growing global acceptance of the practice.

"While CDC has not recommended mixing types of vaccine in a primary series, we recognize that this is increasingly common in other countries so should be accepted for the interpretation of vaccine records," CDC spokesperson Kristen Nordlund said in an email. "

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/u-s-canadian-travellers-mixed-vaccines-1.6213176
Just to let you know the link for the "updated its guidance" for CDC goes nowhere. So if it was there they pulled it.

This feels kinda like when the Raptors won and everyone had to hold their breath for five minutes before they could celebrate :rotfl:
That's exactly how I feel. I don't feel like I will be ready to celebrate until it is actually on the cdc or who websites that it's accepted.

This is on the CBC

Individuals inoculated with any combination of two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine authorized by U.S. regulators or the World Health Organization will be considered fully vaccinated, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) told CBC News.

For those who want the info directly from the CDC:

"Interim Public Health Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People" https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html

Summary of Recent Changes

• Based on evolving evidence, CDC recommends fully vaccinated people get tested 5-7 days after close contact with a person with suspected or confirmed COVID-19.
  • Added Annex describing what vaccines qualify people as fully vaccinated and how to interpret vaccine records.
END QUOTE

The ANNEX referred to [https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html#annex] - I HAVE ADDED BOLD to highlight the relevant paragraph re: mixed doses:

Annex

In general, people are considered fully vaccinated:

• 2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines, or
  • 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine
This guidance applies to COVID-19 vaccines currently approved or authorized for emergency use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson [J&J]/Janssen COVID-19 vaccines), and can be applied to COVID-19 vaccines that have been listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization (such as AstraZeneca/Oxford). Additionally, this guidance can be applied to clinical trial participants from U.S. sites who received all recommended doses of a COVID-19 vaccine that is neither approved nor authorized for use by FDA but is listed for emergency use by WHO, or who have received the full series of an “active” (not placebo) COVID-19 vaccine candidate for which vaccine efficacy has been independently confirmed (e.g., by a data and safety monitoring board). Currently, participants in the U.S.-based AstraZeneca and Novavax COVID-19 vaccine trials meet these criteria. These U.S. participants in COVID-19 vaccine trials can be considered fully vaccinated 2 weeks after they complete the vaccine series, if it has been confirmed that they received “active” vaccine, and not placebo. More information is available at Interim Clinical Considerations for Use of COVID-19 Vaccines | CDC.

Interpretation of vaccine records: CDC has not recommended the use of heterologous (i.e., mix-and-match) primary series. However, the use of such strategies (including mixing of mRNA, adenoviral, and mRNA plus adenoviral products) is increasingly common in many countries outside of the United States. Therefore, for the purposes of interpretation of vaccination records, individuals can be considered fully vaccinated ≥2 weeks after receipt of the last dose if they have received any single dose of an FDA approved/authorized or WHO EUL approved single-dose series (i.e., Janssen), or any combination of two doses of an FDA approved/authorized or WHO emergency use listed COVID-19 two-dose series. The recommended interval between the first and second doses of FDA-approved/authorized and WHO-EUL listed vaccines varies by vaccine type. However, for purposes of interpretation of vaccine records, the second dose in a two dose heterologous series must have been received no earlier than 17 days (21 days with a 4 day grace period) after the first dose.

The above guidance on interpreting vaccine records does not impact CDC recommendations on primary series vaccination and should not guide clinical practice.

END QUOTE

Anyone hear if kids under 12 can still fly to the US since they can't be vaccinated?
We were fine to fly in September with our kids and hoping that's still the case for our January trip!

Anyone hear if kids under 12 can still fly to the US since they can't be vaccinated?
We were fine to fly in September with our kids and hoping that's still the case for our January trip!

I believe they need to have a negative covid test.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter