Vent on radio shack service

Tiggeroo

Grammar Nazi
My dd wanted to purchase a cell phone with Sprint as her provider. As we have no area store, we went to Radio Shack. She had researched what she wanted ahead of time and had called to check on the deposit amount. I went in, in the beginning with her but was given the brush off by the manager. I left and my dd caught up to me in the mall. Instead of the $125-200. she planned to spend she ended up spending $300.
My husband and I went over this with her, and she had a reason for each additional purchase, given to her by the sales person.
We chalked it up to being sold by a pro sales person and gave her a talk about this. It happens to all of us at one time when we are young, and thought it was a good lesson for her to learn.
However, we have since found out that the sales rep was dishonest.
Sold, one headset, because they told her it was the state requirement. (not true, also her phone has hands free). Also, since they had a special she might as well buy 3 accessories since one would be free and she already had to buy the headset. Total cost $60.
They told her the phone was only warrantied for 60 days and she had better purchase the extended warranty. Untrue - Sprint warranties all of the phones for one year.
Total cost $50.
They talked her into an upgraded phone by telling her the extra $50. would be given as a rebate. There is a $100. instore rebate and then the $50. rebate making the phone free. They printed her a second receipt and circled the areas where she should fill out for the rebate and where she should sent it. Untrue again as Sprint does not allow you to take the second rebate if you took the first. Here my dd was waiting every day for her refund check.
Total cost $50.

I am disgusted. I went to the store manager who sold the phone and she was just plain rude. I went over her head to the district mgr. about the rebate. He says it states on the rebate form she isn't eligible and she should have read it. I am beyond angry. I can't believe I bought 10 zip-zaps from this place plus some other stuff.

I refuse to shop at Radio Shack, because I think it's ridiculous to have to give my address for every purchase.

Is your daughter a minor? Your state may have laws to protect her against this type of thing. It might be worth a phone call to your Attorney General or Consumer Protection Office.

I, too, gave up on Radio Shack several years ago when they pulled a stunt like the one they pulled on your daughter on my friend's then 8 year old boy. Perhaps you should file a report with your local Beter Business Bureau.

I would go beyond the District Manager. Write to the President of the Radio Shack Corporation and tell him the story, using any name you have. I would also contact the BBB and the Bureau of Consumer Affairs.

At Christmas I was looking for a cell phone for DW. Radio Shack had a full page ad in the papers listing a deal of $49 for a pay as you go phone (normally $150 to $200) Went to our local Radio Shack, which had a blow up of the ad in the front window and asked about getting one. Response from the assistant manager was, "No don't have any and aren't getting anymore. We don't make enough on them and I think it was a mistake for the company to run the ad.. Best I can do is $175 for another model."

I reminded him of the ad and he still maintained they would not honour it. It was a limited time deal - second day of a one week sale, limited quantities - he admitted they only had ordered three and he was under no obligation to get more or see if anyone else had one. End result

I may go back to buy flashlight batteries but I picked up a great phone from Future Shop.

I am angry just reading this. Go above them and keep going until you are satisfied and if your not see about returning the phone and starting over. There are probably some sort of restrictions with taking it back but weight the options, with all these horrible things I would think very hard about taking it back. Good luck and sorry your DD had to get dupped like this!!

At least they no longer ask for your phone number when you buy batteries :cool:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter