• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Virgin flights from Gatwick

Elaine Guidi

Elaine
It is a long time yet but Feb 03 we fly from Gatwick with Virgin along with 2 kids ages 9 and 6. At the moment I am quietly confident that the fact it is their first flight (should pass the first 30 minutes or so) and between self entertainment, in-flight entertainment, meals and drinks, we should pass the majority of the flight so so. But obviously boredom etc is going to kick in. Poss no chance of a sleep as it is a 11:15 flight. What opinions have any other DISers on Virgin flights and what methods have been used for entertainment. Also what are the opinions of in-flight attendants ref having a walk/stretch as DVT stories are always rearing their ugly heads. Thanks in advance

Hi there,
I allways fly with virgin,and on the 11.15 flight too.
I think you will be just fine with the children as regards boredom etc.
They will be given a rucksack type thing when they get on board the aircraft which contains colouring activities etc,also everyone has a seat back tv which has among lots of things a childrens channel and music to watch and listen too.
I seem to remember on the last several ghts with virgin that they pick children to help them with their duties on board,such as collecting rubbish and handing out visa forms etc,the kids on our flights love it!!!!
As for the getting up and walking around ,the flight attendants dont seem to mind this at all,in fact they seem to encourage it,so all in all i think you will have a pleasant flight,we allways fly virgin,they are the best.
Hope this info helps,
sarah.

Hi there, please be patient with me as this is my first post on the boards.

Quick intro: Simon, Kim (that's me) and a very excited daughter Jordan. Travelling Oct 02 to Orlando Village Premier on I-Drive for 2 weeks. Very, very excited.

Anyway back to the question of DVT. I actually work for a haematologist who is renouned for his work in this particular area. I have spoken to him regarding DVT and he advised the following:

Wear loose clothing
Drink plenty of water (it is important to not dehydrate)
Try to avoid tea, coffee and especially alcohol
Move your ankles, feet and wiggle your toes - regularly
Move around the aircraft
Take off your shoes, trainers etc (stinky feet permitting?)

If you are really worried then see your GP who may initiate some blood tests (these are only usually carried out if this particular condition runs in the family).

It is rare for children to suffer this condition.

Hope this is helps.

Simon C
Thanks for this. I was pleased to read it is rare for children to suffer DVT as it was more them I was worried about as I know myself and DH will make the effort to drink water and exercise our feet/ankles regularly. I wouldn't put myself as at any particular risk from past experience just another of those things that we have to think about, especially as there are things you can do to make it more avoidable. Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter