VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

We agree...we were amazed by the crowds we ran into during this trip. On one day in Magic Kingdom, there was a 30+ minute wait for Haunted Mansion in the Fast Pass line which wound all the way back out into Liberty Square! I don't ever remember early December being so crowded. Standby lines were over an hour for many attractions.

Haunted Mansion was plagued with troubles this trip. Seems age has caught up with it. My daughter and her bf were stuck on the ride for over 40 minutes one day, and the following it was shut down completely with no idea if/when it would be back up.

But yes, the crowd levels overall were out of control this year. I felt like Disney was not prepared for for it with enough hands on deck or buses/boats running and the result was a mob of angry people lashing out at each other. Even the day we took the boat from MK to WL, we sat in line for over an hour as all the other boats came and went multiple times. The WL line snaked back past security and someone toward the back passed out from standing in the sun too long.

Haunted Mansion was plagued with troubles this trip. Seems age has caught up with it. My daughter and her bf were stuck on the ride for over 40 minutes one day, and the following it was shut down completely with no idea if/when it would be back up.

But yes, the crowd levels overall were out of control this year. I felt like Disney was not prepared for for it with enough hands on deck or buses/boats running and the result was a mob of angry people lashing out at each other. Even the day we took the boat from MK to WL, we sat in line for over an hour as all the other boats came and went multiple times. The WL line snaked back past security and someone toward the back passed out from standing in the sun too long.

I agree...early December is no longer the "hidden jewel" of vacation timing.

I think the record for patience had to go to the parents who were willing to wait in this line:

santa wait.jpg

I think this is easily the longest posted wait time I have ever seen, anywhere!!!

I agree...early December is no longer the "hidden jewel" of vacation timing.

I think the record for patience had to go to the parents who were willing to wait in this line:

View attachment 288804

I think this is easily the longest posted wait time I have ever seen, anywhere!!!
Yikes! This is making me rethink our trip dates next year.

Good morning! Yesterday was our travel day. We left the Disney Dream around 8:30. AM, landed in snowy Philadelphia, hit snowy rush hour traffic, picked up Gus anf finally got home around 9:30 PM! We have a thin layer of snowy ice here in Cape May, and it looks very pretty.

Beauty and the Beast on board the Dream is a Broadway caliber show, and we enjoyed Coco and of course The Last Jedi!

I have read through and enjoyed everyone’s comments and pictures about their WDW trip! There are so many beautiful pictures here! It is so great to keep up with the Groupies!:)

. . .
We agree...we were amazed by the crowds we ran into during this trip. On one day in Magic Kingdom, there was a 30+ minute wait for Haunted Mansion in the Fast Pass line which wound all the way back out into Liberty Square! I don't ever remember early December being so crowded. Standby lines were over an hour for many attractions.

Maybe the ride was down for several minutes. Or had lots of handicapped guests getting on or off. We rode HM at least 4 times on different days and never encountered that kind of delay. But then we often avoid MK on the December afternoons and evenings when there is a late night EMH as it seems like everyone that was upset that MK closed early on MVMCP nights shows up on that one late night each week.

. . .
Now a touch of criticism: I do wish I had stuck to only visiting the resorts this trip.

I am saddened by the attitude and behavior of many of the Disney guests in the parks and on the buses this year. The fighting and rude words seemed to be all over. Most of it seemed to be related to long waits for over-packed buses, but I witnessed far too many issues in the parks too. Really broke my heart. I will try to figure out a way to convey my concerns to Disney without it sounding like I'm looking for anything in return. All I want is for everyone to enjoy the environment and they have to work to fix the problem areas.

Wow, we had just the opposite experience during our two weeks at WDW. So many generous people giving up bus seats for those that needed them. Very little bickering some whiny kids but they were usually returning to the resort for naps. No fighting, no yelling nothing even close to that. But then we didn’t stand in lines over 45 minutes either.

It has been so hectic this past month traveling that I cannot remember what I said here. I just want to say it was great meeting some of you at TOTWL. If I hadn’t felt so wheezy I would have come around and met more of you after the fireworks, but I really needed a respiratory treatment in our room. Sorry I missed you.

We are driving home to Houston, Texas. We now spend 3 nights on the road for 1000 mile drive as it is less tiring and we feel like we have been on a relaxing vacation instead being exhausted when we arrive home. However this morning I am tired of cool, no cold weather for us southerners. Home tonight and tomorrow begins the prep for Christmas with the family. And last minute Christmas shopping. Real world stuff for a retiree. LOL

Maybe the ride was down for several minutes. Or had lots of handicapped guests getting on or off. We rode HM at least 4 times on different days and never encountered that kind of delay. But then we often avoid MK on the December afternoons and evenings when there is a late night EMH as it seems like everyone that was upset that MK closed early on MVMCP nights shows up on that one late night each week.

Wow, we had just the opposite experience during our two weeks at WDW. So many generous people giving up bus seats for those that needed them. Very little bickering some whiny kids but they were usually returning to the resort for naps. No fighting, no yelling nothing even close to that. But then we didn’t stand in lines over 45 minutes either.

The generous experiences described here are what we encountered. My aunt, 80 and not able to walk or stand for more than a minute perhaps, received nothing but kindness, from Cast Members and guests.

Rides were delayed when she was transferred from a wheelchair to the ride. What a great opportunity for her to enjoy many varied experiences!!

A few pictures from our short time at DHS. The Christmas decorations at this park are always a favorite of mine. We had FP's for TSMM and ToT and were able to see a couple of the light shows they are doing on ToT for the holidays. After DHS we headed to the groupie meet and after that into MK for a little bit.

View attachment 287841 View attachment 287842
My best in Vehicle score - once I got best in hour and keep trying for that again! :D
View attachment 287843
Looking forward to seeing this!
View attachment 287844
Lots of cranes at work for StarWars land and changes to the entrances (I guess)
View attachment 287845 View attachment 287846 View attachment 287849 View attachment 287851 View attachment 287852 View attachment 287853
Wow! Who had 215,500?

Do you have a technique you'd like to share?

I don't know if it's anything particularly special but here is my usual pattern. First - only one or two practice shots just to make certain your gun works! Don't waste energy there. :goodvibes Next I always keep an eye out for the highest point items - especially lit up. Moving objects are higher points. Targets down low or at the back of the screens are often high point. For the Volcano I get the long balloons hanging at the very top until it starts spitting out balloons and fire continually at those as they spill over. At the mine carts I alternate back and forth between 2 lines as that gets the score increasing as the carts advance. Then at the end be ready to shoot at the final target until your arm is ready to fall off! :rotfl:

I am saddened by the attitude and behavior of many of the Disney guests in the parks and on the buses this year. The fighting and rude words seemed to be all over. Most of it seemed to be related to long waits for over-packed buses, but I witnessed far too many issues in the parks too. Really broke my heart. I will try to figure out a way to convey my concerns to Disney without it sounding like I'm looking for anything in return. All I want is for everyone to enjoy the environment and they have to work to fix the problem areas.
Sad to hear this. I’m not sure if we are just looking at our trip through rose colored glasses or if this really was reality but I don’t remember much of this from June. Maybe we didn’t notice? I will say that is seems summer is on the downtrend and I didn’t feel like it was hugely crowded for us so that could be some of the difference.

Okay, we made it safe and sound and are in our room at VWL. When I go out on my balcony I look up and right and I think I am looking at Kathy & Kati's balcony! I am in 3511 in the hallway to the right and rear of the elevators. So the group is growing! See a bunch of you tonight at TOTWL!

@DVC Jen ... Happy Anniversary! :)

Why didn't I see this when we were there??? We were your next door neighbors in 3509! It was great meeting you btw. :) Back home safe and sound now. Good to be home but I am also missing our lodge

Another day, another Groupie meet...or actually two meets!

We started off the morning with a small gathering of myself, @DVC Jen & DH, and @Corinne & DH. A very nice gathering. Unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture until Corinne had already left, so we'll do with a picture of DVC Jen and her husband in front of the fireplace in the Iron Spike room.

View attachment 287967

After the first seating had departed, in came the second seating for the meet:

View attachment 287968

This good looking group

Standing, left to right: JimmyTammy DS, Jimmy, Granny, MiaSRN62 DS, MiaSRN62 DH, @MiaSRN62

Sitting, left to right: Tammy, Starwind's friend, @Starwind

As always, good fun was had by all. :)

Sorry to have missed all of you. We had to rush off for our breakfast at Kona - which was not as good as we had remembered. Made me wish we had stuck around to meet more groupies instead.

Ian and I got home on Saturday. We really enjoyed meeting Granny and Corrine.

Why does 50 something degrees in Florida feel so much colder than 50 something degrees in Dallas? Humidity/dampness maybe? We were freezing every night.

With the exception of a frig on the fritz our first night we had a great stay. The compressor was going out in the frig. Within 30 minutes of making a call we had a new one in our room and everything moving forward was perfect. We were there the exact same time frame last year and it was much colder and more crowded this year. Still so nice. Love our no kids trips. They are much more relaxed and slow paced. Not so fun coming home with head colds though but we can't complain. At least we didn't start to feel sick until we were almost home.

Part of me wants to go back again same time next December but we have been putting off doing some things around the house and my adult side is saying make the repairs. Not sure if I will listen or not. ;) time will tell.

Just back from a stay at VGF and CCV. The crowd level seemed noticeably higher than it usually is for this time of year, but maybe it's just me.

Had a one bedroom at CCV-- loved the bedroom and the bathroom as well as the convenience of being in the main building. The living/dining area was quite generic and the lighting fixtures seemed cheap. The whole unit also seemed kind of dark, but maybe that's because I was in a 7th floor unit which has the more closed-in balconies.

While I lament the loss of trees around the old quiet pool, I must say I loved the new Boulder Ridge Cove pool. I would definitely stay there again and even consider buying resale if the prices dip down to a reasonable level in a couple years.

Last edited:
Ian and I got home on Saturday. We really enjoyed meeting Granny and Corrine.

Why does 50 something degrees in Florida feel so much colder than 50 something degrees in Dallas? Humidity/dampness maybe? We were freezing every night.

With the exception of a frig on the fritz our first night we had a great stay. The compressor was going out in the frig. Within 30 minutes of making a call we had a new one in our room and everything moving forward was perfect. We were there the exact same time frame last year and it was much colder and more crowded this year. Still so nice. Love our no kids trips. They are much more relaxed and slow paced. Not so fun coming home with head colds though but we can't complain. At least we didn't start to feel sick until we were almost home.

Part of me wants to go back again same time next December but we have been putting off doing some things around the house and my adult side is saying make the repairs. Not sure if I will listen or not. ;) time will tell.

During the cold front days, we found the Lodge building had great difficulty maintaining a decent temperature. Also, the thermostats in the CCV villa could only be turned up to 78. We actually went down to the front desk and complained our room was too cold. Within about 10 minutes we had a technician in the room messing with the heater -- it actually was not working properly -- it was putting out 72 even though the thermostat was set to the max of 78. After about 15 minutes of fiddling he got it cranking out heat. Unfortunately it was short-livd -- after about an hour we were back to it not working right again. So we just added layers and semi-froze. :-(

SW

Why didn't I see this when we were there??? We were your next door neighbors in 3509! It was great meeting you btw.

Great meeting you as well!

And now I think we can re-name that section of VWL as "Groupie Corner". As near as I can tell, we had Groupies very close together per this picture from my balcony:

Groupie Rooms.jpg

No wonder we were getting such awesome vibes during our trip! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!