VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

I'm back and I will make a post about that but I had to reply to ErinC...but I have to announce something beforehand so it makes sense. I decided to pursue a dream of mine to become a TA specializing in Disney (still teaching, this is just an add on)!

That’s exciting news Ariel! You’ll have to keep us posted on your new adventure!

Morning, Groupies! After a long, tedious flight experience getting to CA, we are now in the glorious VGC in a one-bedroom with a nice view of CA Adventure. We got in yesterday morning and actually did DL park for a few hours before having dinner in D'town Disney. We got on HM, POTC, IASW, and Matterhorn. Crowds were solid but not too severe--standby at POTC was 25 mins and at HM and IASW around 15-20. We FP'd Matterhorn. We're about to head into CA Adventure for EMH. I'll post pics when I can.

Ya gotta love that VGC 1BR — I know we did! Have a great time! And yes, it’s worth getting wet to ride Grizzly River Rapids - it’s what Kali River Rapids should have been...

Morning EMH was lovely. Crowds have grown steadily since. We rode in front of monorail the complete loop, and as we zoomed by entrance to DL proper, lines stretched halfway (at least) to CA Adventure to get into DL! Yowser!

I've returned from my birthday trip and back in the connected world. National Parks are wonderful but I'm thinking they may have to finally recognize that times have changed and if one wants to be disconnected then it's up to the person.... not the location, especially when that location has that many people in it. :rolleyes:

Had a wonderful trip though. It checked off another bucket list location that I think identifies a bit with WL/VWL as the list is in part about staying at several of the grand National Park lodges. For a "significant" birthday 2 years ago El Tovar on the southside of the Grand Canyon and the Lodge on the North Rim were checked . The traveling companion for this was my cousin who has her birthday coming up next week so we periodically celebrate together. This birthday it was a debate on Glacier and staying at Lake McDonald or the eventual winner......The Ahwahnee at Yosemite. It has a second identifier that we are all familiar with ... a name change. And like VWL I'm sticking with the original. Due to contact screw ups it's currently renamed The Majestic at Yosemite but it will always be the Ahwahnee. It earned a place on the Historic Register due to being such an excellent example of a "parkitecture"! If WL/VWL were located in a different sort of park, not theme park, I'd think it would have to receive the same sort of honor sometime down the road, but that's just me. :cutie: The entire trip wasn't spent here but if time and resources allow I'll be back sometime. If one has to increase that age number it wasn't a bad way to do it! :cake::cake::cake: For a future birthday it will be Old Faithful Inn - an inspiration of Wilderness Lodge.

Ahwahnee
20180614_085920.jpg
20180615_152659.jpg

. . . . . . . . National Parks are wonderful but I'm thinking they may have to finally recognize that times have changed . . . . . . .

Yup; Time changes all things . . .We were so lucky to have been able to drive into Zion Nat. Park and hike The Narrows when our kids were young (~1993? :scratchin) . What a wonderful experience to have shared with each other. It is sad that due to the number of visitors and the reckless way some have treated our national treasures, that you can no long drive into the depths of Zion or freely experience the magnificence of The Narrows without the current restrictions that limit the experience.

..but I have to announce something beforehand so it makes sense. I decided to pursue a dream of mine to become a TA specializing in Disney (still teaching, this is just an add on)!

Renee...that's great! Another Groupie TA!!! I absolutely love it when someone's dream comes true!!! I guess that's why I like Disney movies so much. :)

OK, so back from a Villas stay about a week and a half ago. We only spent 4 nights there with one park day (at MK) but we did get to spend a lot time at the resort. I got my request of upper floor and Bay Lake side but it was the very last room down the hallway. It was a dedicated studio so it appears it was bigger than one that is part of a 2 bedroom lockoff. We spent a lot of time at the main pool and one evening at the Boulder Ridge pool. Lots of pool drinks from Geyser Point, a meal at Roaring Fork, a breakfast at WCC, some arcade time. We saw fireworks at Top of the World Lounge, the balcony from our room, MK, and Geyser Point. We also saw the EWP from our balcony and Geyser Point. We did Hoop Dee Doo and both my oldest and my DH got chosen to go on stage, we rented Sea Raycers and enjoyed Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. We spent time at Disney Springs, as well as hit up the Character Warehouse at Vineland on our way out of Orlando. We used the boats a lot (I LOVE the boats) and ran across several wonderful CMs! It was a different kind of trip for us but it was nice to get to know WL as well as we did!

Renee...thanks for sharing your trip with us in story and photos. It sounds like you had a really nice trip, enjoying the amenities of WL and DVC as you did. :thumbsup2

Morning EMH was lovely. Crowds have grown steadily since. We rode in front of monorail the complete loop, and as we zoomed by entrance to DL proper, lines stretched halfway (at least) to CA Adventure to get into DL! Yowser!

Sleepy...it sounds like the crowds at DL continue to be strong...the entrance lines you describe are similar to what we saw in April. But it sounds like you are rolling with it and enjoying your visit. Thanks for sharing your experiences! :)

I've returned from my birthday trip and back in the connected world. National Parks are wonderful but I'm thinking they may have to finally recognize that times have changed and if one wants to be disconnected then it's up to the person.... not the location, especially when that location has that many people in it. :rolleyes:

Had a wonderful trip though. It checked off another bucket list location that I think identifies a bit with WL/VWL as the list is in part about staying at several of the grand National Park lodges. For a "significant" birthday 2 years ago El Tovar on the southside of the Grand Canyon and the Lodge on the North Rim were checked . The traveling companion for this was my cousin who has her birthday coming up next week so we periodically celebrate together. This birthday it was a debate on Glacier and staying at Lake McDonald or the eventual winner......The Ahwahnee at Yosemite. It has a second identifier that we are all familiar with ... a name change. And like VWL I'm sticking with the original. Due to contact screw ups it's currently renamed The Majestic at Yosemite but it will always be the Ahwahnee. It earned a place on the Historic Register due to being such an excellent example of a "parkitecture"! If WL/VWL were located in a different sort of park, not theme park, I'd think it would have to receive the same sort of honor sometime down the road, but that's just me. :cutie: The entire trip wasn't spent here but if time and resources allow I'll be back sometime. If one has to increase that age number it wasn't a bad way to do it! :cake::cake::cake: For a future birthday it will be Old Faithful Inn - an inspiration of Wilderness Lodge.

Kathy...always nice to check another item off the bucket list, and so glad to hear that it was a wonderful trip. I've seen pictures of Old Faithful Inn and indeed it is easy to see how it inspired Wilderness Lodge. If I were there, I'd probably ask guest services how to get to Geyser Point bar! We appreciate the photos, as always!

OK, so back from a Villas stay about a week and a half ago. We only spent 4 nights there with one park day (at MK) but we did get to spend a lot time at the resort. I got my request of upper floor and Bay Lake side but it was the very last room down the hallway. It was a dedicated studio so it appears it was bigger than one that is part of a 2 bedroom lockoff. We spent a lot of time at the main pool and one evening at the Boulder Ridge pool. Lots of pool drinks from Geyser Point, a meal at Roaring Fork, a breakfast at WCC, some arcade time. We saw fireworks at Top of the World Lounge, the balcony from our room, MK, and Geyser Point. We also saw the EWP from our balcony and Geyser Point. We did Hoop Dee Doo and both my oldest and my DH got chosen to go on stage, we rented Sea Raycers and enjoyed Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. We spent time at Disney Springs, as well as hit up the Character Warehouse at Vineland on our way out of Orlando. We used the boats a lot (I LOVE the boats) and ran across several wonderful CMs! It was a different kind of trip for us but it was nice to get to know WL as well as we did!View attachment 330449 View attachment 330450 View attachment 330451 View attachment 330452 View attachment 330454 View attachment 330455 View attachment 330457 View attachment 330458 View attachment 330460 View attachment 330461

We stayed in this room. Despite the "death march" from the elevator after a long day I rather enjoyed the location. We found it to be very quiet and peaceful. I hope you did too.

Hello old friends, I've been gone away from this page for too long. We have eight nights here in our northern home before we fly to our other home. We will be staying in the Copper Creek suites in the main lodge, like old times when my daughter was a young girl. That should be fun, and interested to see the new DVC. All thoughts turn to the castle when the time is this short. This is our second trip with my daughter's boy friend, last Christmas being the first. My wife and I have started to refer to them as "the kids". I guess time moves on despite my silent protests, and I feel a new chapter in life approaching very fast. We have started working on retirement budgets and planning. Anyone here have informed suggestions and opinions on winter locations for snow birds?

I browsed the last few pages, and noticed some talk about Artist Point changing concepts to character meals. Twenty one years ago we honeymooned at the lodge for five nights after a Caribbean cruise. We dined at the artist point and since that first trip as a married couple, we often went there as it has a sentimental connection. My wife has insisted on going there one more time this summer before the change. It's too bad that everything seems to be retooled at the lodge. Whispering Canyon is not the happy place for kids and now the signature dining is gone too.

Oh well, I guess we will work on making new memories with the kids and turn the page. I'm sure that this chapter will be a good one. As long as my girls are laughing and having fun, I get feel joyful too. Enjoy the summer everyone.

greg

Welcome back, Greg! Yeah, not good news coming out of WL re: the restaurants. Like you, we have an emotional connection to both the Lodge and AP, so we're holding our breath about all the rumored changes. To that end, I talked to the guest services guy who said he'd get back in touch with me. He knew that I had not only written to the Lodge manager, but also one of the Disney presidents, and even a separate email I'd written to a connected person at the Lodge who has treated us well in the past. He had all three names. And his response was, "the only official information comes from our website, and even I don't' know what's going to happen. Other than that, it's only rumor." Of course, what he didn't do is tell me anything new nor deny that my thoughts were wrong. He thanked me for my passion about AP. I don't like what my gut is telling me.

In other news, we've had a good time at DL and have done a lot the past 2.5 days. We've hit almost all the major rides currently in operation, and have gotten through most of the smaller ones, too. Tonight is Tortilla Joe's and Cars Land and then the Paint the Night parade which is pretty awesome. For some reason, having difficulties posting pics. The first one worked fine but since then. . .hmmmm.

Welcome back, Greg! Yeah, not good news coming out of WL re: the restaurants. Like you, we have an emotional connection to both the Lodge and AP, so we're holding our breath about all the rumored changes. To that end, I talked to the guest services guy who said he'd get back in touch with me. He knew that I had not only written to the Lodge manager, but also one of the Disney presidents, and even a separate email I'd written to a connected person at the Lodge who has treated us well in the past. He had all three names. And his response was, "the only official information comes from our website, and even I don't' know what's going to happen. Other than that, it's only rumor." Of course, what he didn't do is tell me anything new nor deny that my thoughts were wrong. He thanked me for my passion about AP. I don't like what my gut is telling me.

In other news, we've had a good time at DL and have done a lot the past 2.5 days. We've hit almost all the major rides currently in operation, and have gotten through most of the smaller ones, too. Tonight is Tortilla Joe's and Cars Land and then the Paint the Night parade which is pretty awesome. For some reason, having difficulties posting pics. The first one worked fine but since then. . .hmmmm.

Enjoy the fresh Guacamole made fresh table side! And, Cars land at night is awesome!

Renee...that's great! Another Groupie TA!!! I absolutely love it when someone's dream comes true!!! I guess that's why I like Disney movies so much. :)
Thank you!

We stayed in this room. Despite the "death march" from the elevator after a long day I rather enjoyed the location. We found it to be very quiet and peaceful. I hope you did too.
I think I liked it the most. The boys were okay with it but DH wasn't too fond. I loved the view though. Bay Lake side just can't be beat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter