VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

latest

My concern is that once Disney gets to where there is no down time, will people start avoiding the Mouse?

As DVCers, I somewhat understand why we do so, we are invested in it all. But for those who are not, why at this point would they continue to return? Once, maybe twice. But to go back time and again to face the crowds.

I just have to cite one of my all-time favorite Yogi Berra quotes here. He said "Nobody ever goes to that restaurant because it's always too crowded". :teeth:

But it is so true. If Disney can attract 10 new guests with a promotion and lose 1 guest because of increased crowds, I think they are coming out ahead. And while F&W is a big part of it, how much of the crowds that Cindy is seeing is due to Free Dining promotion? I can't blame Disney for wanting their parks to run at high capacity year round...that's basic business to maximize the revenues from any capital investment (the Parks, the Resorts, Disney Springs, etc). Does it diminish my enjoyment? Well, yes I'd love to have much smaller crowds and lower wait times. But I give credit to Disney also for implementing free (so far) FP+ options so even with huge crowds we can do what is important to us in a park during our trips. It's a tough balancing act between revenues and the guest experience, and my guess is Disney will continue with current plans until they see a fall-off in attendance.

Here's a somewhat related but slightly different topic. As far as DVC is concerned, I wonder how long it will be until Disney feels it is necessary to re-balance the point sheets to create a more level demand curve? With October thru early January becoming such high demand, will Disney lower points at other times of the year so they can raise the 4th quarter point schedules, especially early December? It has been a few years now since Disney virtually eliminated the "weekend penalty" where they used to have such a huge disparity in points from weekends versus weeknights. While DVC is just a relatively small part of the crowd equation, I would think at some point as they continue to sell new resorts that it does have some impact on crowds. And even if the crowd impact is negligible, Disney has a duty to balance out demand to allow full utilization of the points they sell.

But its funny that a friend of mine who has been a DVCer way longer than me was saying some of the same things 10 years ago. How things have changed, etc., etc. He wasn't happy with it, now we aren't happy with it.
We are a passionate bunch, us Groupies. I think in a very general way, most if not all of us feel the way you do Patrick. But, there is a flip side for me, and again, for a lot of other folks here.
I know no matter what, each time there(WDW) gives me some sense of joy. Or the joy of building up to it. Right now, my countdown is at 30. And that brings me joy. Years ago, that joy was of the newness of it all. The fun we were looking forward too, and the fun we were going to have, the memories that were going to be created. These days, that joy is more about getting away from work, and doing what we can on a leisurely pace. So the reasons of joy have changed, but its still there.
I have to remind myself from time to time how fortunate, how blessed me and my family are that we can go as often as we do, mainly because of DVC. We are going to Hawaii(Aulani) in Feb and looking at the prices to stay on or near Waikiki are unreal these days. If it weren't for DVC, not too sure I would be making the trip.
I think this AM I am feeling a bit of longing for it all. Missing it. So, like the lamb headed for (you know where)and the moth to the flame, I will fill my wallet up in 30 days, head South, stay a couple weeks, and hope I have enough moolah to get me back home. You think the gas station would trade out fuel for Mickey Ears, just in case:confused3

Very true Jimmy! I believe I may be one of the lengthier attendees here having made my first visit to DL in 1969 (at a very tender age mind you!). Having family that lived in Long Beach meant a couple more trips over the years and then family that wintered in Winter Park meant several WDW trips too - the first in early 1973. So, I've experienced a lot of different Disney parks. There have been changes that you can say "yes, I understand". The have been changes that you say "huh, just getting cheap". And there have been changes that you think are quite nice. Is it the same as it was? No. And in a lot of ways that's ok. They really used to be day parks. And very few attractions compared to now. There are things removed that haven't affected me at all. And there have been things removed that were very dear to me and are sadly and notably missed (Osborne lights is one). But there's a lot I love and still enjoy going. At this point it's likely going to be a ban on scooters in the parks or no one to push my wheelchair when I can no longer do the walk that ends my visits. But plenty of time (I hope) for Disney to do more changes that might change that too!

Hi groupies! Just got done catching up (20 pages). Still very busy with lake season through mid October, not to mention fantasy football season. But, wanted to say Hi and to say I am following along. I agree Snow White at AP is a “no” fit for me, may as well have brought in Merida from Brave, at least there would have been arrows and bears....:D

JT - love that video of your grandson!

Keep on smilin’ everyone!

Hurricane Florence has a different projected path now which drops the eye South of our location. Rain is going to be a major factor in our area, there was no doubt about that, but now the winds are going to be a bigger factor since we will be on that side of the storm. And they say its going to slow down even more and stall a bit once it hits land. This one is shaping up to be a doozy folks!
:scared1:
Praying for all in its path. Fortunately flooding shouldn't be a an issue in the spot where I live but I have witnessed its fury in eastern NC where its flat and many big rivers flow to the Atlantic. I went with our church on a few mission trips a few years back and helped repair flood victims homes and the stories they told make goosebumps. One fellow spoke about evacuation with his family via helicopter as the river rose so rapidly they couldn't escape by car. When he left, water had reached the bottom of door to house. They had left a childs vaccine(without it, life threatening)and against the helicopter pilots wishes was able to fly back in an hour later to find water halfway up the windows. Once able to return when waters had subsided, the house was full of water moccasins that had sought shelter from storm!

Please if so inclined, pray for the folks who are in the path and for those who will go out in its aftermath to help folks in need. My SIL is being deployed tonight with the NC Nat. Guard, so on his behalf, an extra prayer there sure would be appreciated as well.

Don't mean to be a downer here, as this is always, always my happy retreat before the workday, but this is one serious of a bad boy storm. I have no doubt, God will sustain us through it all, but prayers heard by Him sure will help:goodvibes

Good Morning Groupies!

So we’re starting to worry and wonder if we’re going to get out tomorrow...my guess is we won’t know anything until we’re sitting at the airport...we NEVER book a 7:00 PM flight, always book an earlier one, but not this time.

We had a fabulous Monday evening! We weren’t sure if we were going to MK or TOWL, or both...we decided to go directly to TOWL. We walked through Epcot because I want the AP F&W cutting board, hopped on monorail and made the trek over to the Contemporary. We were sitting with a very nice family, and I won’t get into to the details here, but it was one of those truly awesome moments where you just know there was a reason why we boarded the same car. Both my husband and I were quite emotional as we separated from them. We arrived at TOWL and enjoyed the changing sky. A lovely young newlywed couple sat beside us and we conversed with them all evening. They were also brand new DVC members. I know many Groupies enjoy this spot, and once again, it did not disappoint, it turned out to be a truly magical evening. We decided to hoof it back to MK busses and met another fun couple with grown sons. Dana asked me if we had faces that said, ”talk to us” I think it’s so fun chatting with people hahha. :flower:

Yesterday we spent the morning at MK. We had a FP for SDMT, went Under The Sea with Ariel, shared a cinnamon roll at Gaston’s (not even close to the BoardWalk Bakery version), watched Gaston interact with several guests, (if you have never experienced this, you simply must, very entertaining)! Walked into Mickeys Philharmagic, which is never crowded, but this time I believe we were 2 of maybe 15 guests, lol. We had some time before our Peter Pan FP (yes, I love the ride), so we went to see the wait for HM. The posted time was 20 minutes but it looked more like 30, so we skipped it. Headed over to Liberty Square and enjoyed the Muppets, oh my goodness how I love this! I love how Sam Eagle is in the Hall of Presidents building now, maybe just certain shows he peeks out up there? I don’t recall this before. We then rode Peter Pan, CoP, and headed to Tony’s for lunch (FYI, we had a great lunch last December so I decided to try it again, it is back OFF the list as the meal was subpar). Ended the afternoon with a meeting with the Mouse! He wasn’t talking today, lol.

Last night we had a reservation for GF Cafe. We left the room at 5:00 ish, the bus to MK finally arrived at exactly 6:00, (after the board kept changing the times), such poor planning on my part, because the MK was closing @6:00, so of course the boat and monorail lines were jammed. To make matters worse, there had been some lightning, so the boats weren’t running. We finally arrived to GF at 7:00. Ugh! Dinner was fine, we like it there, but getting there was definitely a challenge. Needless to say, we took a cab back to BCV!

Off to Epcot this morning, we have a FP for Frozen, wonder if we will get on, last time I had a FP the wait was still over an hour, I sure hope it has settled down by now. :rolleyes1

8BF77755-435C-44E0-898D-AA176F49EC04.jpeg 444A8BFC-6F26-4B9F-90BA-EA6379BE4FC3.jpeg E95D593C-D1C6-48CF-BF05-CD41E82967EA.jpeg C94C9B96-269A-4395-BE96-D9E5E43D41E2.jpeg

Last edited:

Hurricane Florence has a different projected path now which drops the eye South of our location. Rain is going to be a major factor in our area, there was no doubt about that, but now the winds are going to be a bigger factor since we will be on that side of the storm. And they say its going to slow down even more and stall a bit once it hits land. This one is shaping up to be a doozy folks!
:scared1:
Praying for all in its path. Fortunately flooding shouldn't be a an issue in the spot where I live but I have witnessed its fury in eastern NC where its flat and many big rivers flow to the Atlantic. I went with our church on a few mission trips a few years back and helped repair flood victims homes and the stories they told make goosebumps. One fellow spoke about evacuation with his family via helicopter as the river rose so rapidly they couldn't escape by car. When he left, water had reached the bottom of door to house. They had left a childs vaccine(without it, life threatening)and against the helicopter pilots wishes was able to fly back in an hour later to find water halfway up the windows. Once able to return when waters had subsided, the house was full of water moccasins that had sought shelter from storm!

Please if so inclined, pray for the folks who are in the path and for those who will go out in its aftermath to help folks in need. My SIL is being deployed tonight with the NC Nat. Guard, so on his behalf, an extra prayer there sure would be appreciated as well.

Don't mean to be a downer here, as this is always, always my happy retreat before the workday, but this is one serious of a bad boy storm. I have no doubt, God will sustain us through it all, but prayers heard by Him sure will help:goodvibes

Wishing you and all those in that part of the country the best Jimmy! Hunker down and stay dry!!!

Thanks KAT and Twinkle! I am not as concerned for my safety as those who are in a more direct path. These storms are so unpredictable, and seeing the devastation they can cause 1st hand makes me appreciate being on high ground even more. I hope I didn't come across seeking pity, more about the concern for others.

Corinne, Prayers and Moose Dust for your flight to happen! If not, I guess getting stuck in WDW for awhile isn't such a bad thing:grouphug:

A friend is supposed to drive out from our town to WDW Sunday and is contemplating leaving sooner. He asked if we are around this weekend to look out for image at his house JIC. Issue is his daughter is in VA til late Sat on internship and maybe concerned asking to leave early may scar her record. Hoping they can work it out and get away early. Driving through SC with possible flooding not a good option.

Great report Corinne! Smooth Flying to you!

Kat4Disney - DL - 1968. Saw Paul Revere & The Raiders on a small stage that was under a garden that came rising out of the ground. A memorable experience. Miss the Magic Shop on Main Street USA, too.

Jimmy, Tammy, & Family - All thoughts and prayers for you guys. Let us all know how you all are when the power of His creation relaxes a bit . . .

Great report Corinne! Smooth Flying to you!

Kat4Disney - DL - 1968. Saw Paul Revere & The Raiders on a small stage that was under a garden that came rising out of the ground. A memorable experience. Miss the Magic Shop on Main Street USA, too.

Jimmy, Tammy, & Family - All thoughts and prayers for you guys. Let us all know how you all are when the power of His creation relaxes a bit . . .

Oh, the live music performances at DL! Those were always fun. That brings up a more recent lost gem for me there - Billy Hill and the Hillbillies. At least once, maybe more, I’d get something to eat or drink and go enjoy the show at the Golden Horseshoe.

So I hear that the Move it Shake It party parade on the Magic Kingdom hub is on the outs now. Last day is to be December 1st.

Sounds like Disney wants those floats for a new parade. I wonder what is to come. (A new nighttime parade perhaps?! Well, I could hope. More likely a DVC sales kiosk parade, hehe)

Last edited:
Hope things are going okay for you, Corinne! Best wishes winging your way! Stay dry, JT! We're due for 5"-10" in our neck o' the woods. Sheesh.

So far so good our way. Rain was heavy overnight and wind gusts were spooky feeling at times(must be the time year, knowing MNSSH is going on :earseek:)but we may have dodged the worst of it. The poor folks on the coast and somewhat inland, not so much. The thing is so slow, even though its been downgraded is still pounding away at 3MPH. It would have almost been better to have made landfall as a CAT 3 and moved quickly rather than this. This is what the Outer Banks has experienced before and the rivers inland and caused so much flooding. Flo is even slower than those recent storms, so not sure what will be left behind, but expecting worse than before based on how things are going.

Sleepy, Hope you folks stay high and dry. Wish this thing would give up the ghost::yes::
Corinne
Report in when the chance arrises and let us know you are home safe n sound

Yeah, JT, this one is spooky, indeed. So far, we've only had minor rain and some breezy conditions. However, the worst for us is supposed to hit starting tonight through Monday. We're in the anywhere from 5-10" range, with most models having us on the high end. Now, we live in the Blue Ridge Mountains and the house sits up from the main road. However, that sort of rainfall would likely leak into our basement at some point. Not badly, hopefully. However, I figure we'll be better off than most of those getting the brunt of Flo right now. Batten down the hatches!

Hi Groupies! Today is our 33rd anniversary!:lovestruc We normally celebrate at WDW but with all the tweaking of dates, it didn’t work out that way! Our flight on Thursday was surprisingly not delayed! Thanks for the moose dust, because it worked! Honestly, we really were prepared for spending extra time at MCO for sure.

Wednesday was not as crowded at Epcot (compared to the rest of our stay). We managed to get right on to Frozen and then spent about 40 minutes waiting for the rest of WS to open because I wanted to secure guaranteed seating for the Vertical Horizon concert for that evening. We checked out the remodeled Kringla Bakeri, and I decided to try the cinnamon pretzel. It was tasty, but it wasn’t really very fresh...it wasn’t as soft as I would have liked. We made it over to America Garden Theatre and had our choice of shows so we decided on the 6:45 show. On a whim we decided to eat lunch at Via Napoli even though we already had dinner there earlier during our stay. I just love it there, it never disappoints. We headed back to the room to do some laundry and start packing. That evening we went back to Epcot, enjoyed the concert immensely, ate some tasty tidbits around the world, and a few frozen beverages...I am a sucker for frozen lemonade, so of course I had to have a Grey Goose slush in France! I also had a Frozen Wild Berry Acai with Grey Goose Vodka one of the specialty drinks offered at Joffrey’s....OK it’s a good thing they weren’t readily available throughout the World, because I most definitely would have had more than the two I had during our stay!YUM! Did I mention how HOT it was there? Even at night it never really cooled down! This is notable because I am known to always be cold, even at WDW in the evening.

Thursday we had tickets for the “Playtime at TS Land” for Passholder’s. I really tried to secure tickets for an earlier day during our stay, but the only day available was Thursday. We just couldn’t get it together for a 6:45 check in, and we already had a FP for Slinky Dog, so we got there around 9:30. We got right on... the standby wait was “only” 50 minutes, compared to the 110 minutes earlier during our our stay. It’s a super cute ride, and they did a good job! Aliens had a 30 minute wait so we sucked it up....as much as I adore those little green dudes, I am sorry to say the ride is not worth the wait....we literally waited 30 minutes for what I believe is a 30 second ride. Next, we waited for TSMM, which had a posted time of 25 minutes. Now, we had some time to kill, and we looooove this ride, so we decided to wait. We ended up waiting a good 45-50 minutes, and as we got to the point where you pick up your glasses, we (not just us but everyone around us ) discovered they were letting literally EVERYONE with FP’s on and holding up the regular line much longer than I’ve ever seen. Finally, a guest about 10 ahead of us complained and they let about 10 from our side on....then they held the line at the the 2 people in front of us. Lol. We were 15 minutes late for our Mama Melrose reservation but not a problem at all. After lunch we rode ToT for the last time and headed back to the BC.

We had such a great time, but as discussed earlier, we probably will just go in December next year and skip September, it used to be such a peaceful time there, and it simply is no longer the case.

Thanks for coming along for the ride! Let the planning for the :santa:BIG HONKING GROUPIE MEET DECEMBER 2019 :santa:commence! Well, I guess I should allow the BHGM December 2018 to happen first?:confused3:thumbsup2:rotfl::grouphug:

Hahahaha

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Corinne! And thanks for letting us tag along on your journey:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!