VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Ok, not a teacher and not any sort of expert on the school system but why is it not being considered to reopen schools later if that possibility returns to complete these essential requirements? I'm sure there are arguments against such as families planning for certain vacations, times off etc and I've run across at least one person announcing that they would skip school if this was done because they already had vacation plans but unusual circumstances can require unusual responses. I also know enough teachers that have other jobs set up for the summer. To be clear I'm not thinking it would be ideal nor easy but is it impossible in such a way that makes it not be considered? Just a question from someone who is "uneducated" about the school system operations.

I'm sure that all things are being considered, but here's the cynical part of me coming out. This is a different time in the world than ever before. We have the ability (for the most part) to teach online, and most students have the ability to get the main assignments. Enough that we can say we are continuing on with school. Teachers are contracted for only a certain amount of days. If they were to extend into the summer, they would have to pay teachers an additional sum of money. Keeping people glued to home and not traveling will continue to burden the economy and many businesses that rely on summer travel (especially in our touristy area here). What's best for the students will at some point be weighed against the almighty dollar. Not saying it's right or wrong, just saying it will be considered. If I were a gambling person(which I'm not), I'd say the dollar will win. Again, just my cynical self speaking. I will say that 90% of my students are handling this situation really well. Their teacher is the one on the struggle bus! Goodness, the emails and online grading are about to do me in! :crazy2:

I'm sitting here listening to DParks radio this morning while monitoring the test I'm giving online. I did get my school schedule for next year. Considering going ahead and making some "just in case" reservations for spring break next year. I'm worried what all these points cancellations are going to do DVC planning as a whole. I think it's great that DVC is being so accommodating, and I would want them to be if I was in that situation too. But I do wonder if all these extra points in the system are going to backfire on some of us in the next year or two with absolutely no ability. Here I go being cynical again, sorry.

Granny, glad you got your internet worked out. That would be a challenge for sure!

I agree about the point system being overloaded and share your worry.

This is exactly what I was concerned about 10 days ago on this thread... https://www.disboards.com/threads/v...-2020-new-pics.3242976/page-861#post-61682031

And I think it will be one of those things where some of the pain will fall on Disney, and some will fall on DVC owners. But I'm still glad that they are bailing out reservations. Just seems that at some point they will have to say "sorry".

We cancelled our May trip which had borrowed points that expire at the end of this September. So we booked a September trip, but honestly I think that is being a bit optimistic. I'm not sure that WDW will open again before the end of the summer. I'm pretty upbeat about these things but I think we've delayed our lock down edicts too long. I pray that everyone here and their families are not medically touched by this evil virus.

I was informed informally yesterday there has been official word sent to residents of the retirement community we do renovations at everyday that the virus has hit a resident there in the area we work in.

I am waiting on and hoping that I as an owner of my company and my employees and subs will be given the official word as well. I am not sure what I will do moving forward.

For the most part we are not exposed to the residents unless they come to “visit” which they have been told not to do anyway by the staff for their own safety. Visits to a construction site isn’t safe in the 1st place. I have made gentle requests in light of the pandemic that the residents for their and our safety please stay away. My requests will be ramped up this morning!

I am considered in the so called “essentials” category where our state govt is considered so therefore it gives me the ability to press on to work. But at this point I feel as if I’m more in the “expendable” category🥴

I was informed informally yesterday there has been official word sent to residents of the retirement community we do renovations at everyday that the virus has hit a resident there in the area we work in.

I am waiting on and hoping that I as an owner of my company and my employees and subs will be given the official word as well. I am not sure what I will do moving forward.

For the most part we are not exposed to the residents unless they come to “visit” which they have been told not to do anyway by the staff for their own safety. Visits to a construction site isn’t safe in the 1st place. I have made gentle requests in light of the pandemic that the residents for their and our safety please stay away. My requests will be ramped up this morning!

I am considered in the so called “essentials” category where our state govt is considered so therefore it gives me the ability to press on to work. But at this point I feel as if I’m more in the “expendable” category🥴
Stay Safe everyone!

You know that warm feeling when you're having a rough day at work and that one person who just makes you forget your troubles for a bit stops by? That's the feeling I get coming to this thread.

Just dropping a note here saying Thank you to all the Groupies for making this one of the comfortable, bright spots on the internet.
We may talk about the realities of life here, but we never let it get us down.

For all the groupies:

Hey Everyone - checking back in. I for one will be SO happy when this month is over. Even more happy when this ordeal is over and we can get back to a new normal.

It happened - just like we expected. Emily was laid off from her job as a barista. We were supposed to go down to Austin to see her next weekend, but cancelled a few weeks ago. So she was going to come home and see us instead. She told us she is not going to do that now because of how much she has been around people - with her job. She said she wouldn't be able to live with it if she made us sick. She also told us she was putting a new "Emily ordinance" into effect. We are not allowed out of the house anymore. :lmao:Not that we are venturing out anyway. Dallas county is under the shelter at home mandate. Quick pick up trips to the grocery and walking the dogs is all we are doing. I'm not even going to the post office to mail orders anymore. I am scheduling pick ups instead. Em has filed for unemployment and is looking into working for a delivery app called Favor again. It is kind of like Grub Hub or Door Dash, but not limited to just food pick up and delivery. Not thrilled with the idea of her doing this - but I'm also not sure what else she will be able to find that would limit her exposure. We will help her out financially as much as we can - but can't for an extended period of time.

Ian and Kylie are both working from home now. Kylie is a special education teacher has google classroom going. Ian works for a defense contractor and surprisingly was told to work from home. He has to log into the secure server and just make sure things are secure on our end. Everyone is getting a bit stir crazy. Me probably the least because I am used to working from home - but I do miss my trips to the post office and running errands.

To top all of that off I had a very sad and difficult situation with my etsy shop. I had an elderly lady contact me wanting to know where her order was. She ordered from me in September of 2018. Apparently she just "found" or rediscovered the thank you note and my business card that I send with every order. She was convinced she had placed the order in December and I never sent her baby blanket. It didn't matter what I said to her or how many times I showed her a screen shot of the order she did place, she didn't believe me. Eventually she started to contradict herself. It became very apparent she was suffering from some type of memory issue. This went on over the course of a week. I finally had to just ask her to stop contacting me. There wasn't anything more I could say or do to get her to understand or believe it. It broke my heart and I felt so guilty. Ian's Mom died of vascular dementia and his sister suffering from Alzheimers right now, so I do understand the situation.

Then I found out one of my sisters was diagnosed with terminal cancer last summer. No one bothered to let me know until she went into hospice. (family dynamics are not great) That really really really hurt. She passed away on Monday.

We haven't cancelled our trip yet. I guess I am holding onto hope - but I also realize the reality of the situation is leaning towards us not being able to go. It is what it is. Trying to remember how fortunate we are that Ian and Kylie still have their jobs. We are able to help Emily out for a while. So far we are all healthy. Nothing else matters.

Hey Everyone - checking back in. I for one will be SO happy when this month is over. Even more happy when this ordeal is over and we can get back to a new normal.

It happened - just like we expected. Emily was laid off from her job as a barista. We were supposed to go down to Austin to see her next weekend, but cancelled a few weeks ago. So she was going to come home and see us instead. She told us she is not going to do that now because of how much she has been around people - with her job. She said she wouldn't be able to live with it if she made us sick. She also told us she was putting a new "Emily ordinance" into effect. We are not allowed out of the house anymore. :lmao:Not that we are venturing out anyway. Dallas county is under the shelter at home mandate. Quick pick up trips to the grocery and walking the dogs is all we are doing. I'm not even going to the post office to mail orders anymore. I am scheduling pick ups instead. Em has filed for unemployment and is looking into working for a delivery app called Favor again. It is kind of like Grub Hub or Door Dash, but not limited to just food pick up and delivery. Not thrilled with the idea of her doing this - but I'm also not sure what else she will be able to find that would limit her exposure. We will help her out financially as much as we can - but can't for an extended period of time.

Ian and Kylie are both working from home now. Kylie is a special education teacher has google classroom going. Ian works for a defense contractor and surprisingly was told to work from home. He has to log into the secure server and just make sure things are secure on our end. Everyone is getting a bit stir crazy. Me probably the least because I am used to working from home - but I do miss my trips to the post office and running errands.

To top all of that off I had a very sad and difficult situation with my etsy shop. I had an elderly lady contact me wanting to know where her order was. She ordered from me in September of 2018. Apparently she just "found" or rediscovered the thank you note and my business card that I send with every order. She was convinced she had placed the order in December and I never sent her baby blanket. It didn't matter what I said to her or how many times I showed her a screen shot of the order she did place, she didn't believe me. Eventually she started to contradict herself. It became very apparent she was suffering from some type of memory issue. This went on over the course of a week. I finally had to just ask her to stop contacting me. There wasn't anything more I could say or do to get her to understand or believe it. It broke my heart and I felt so guilty. Ian's Mom died of vascular dementia and his sister suffering from Alzheimers right now, so I do understand the situation.

Then I found out one of my sisters was diagnosed with terminal cancer last summer. No one bothered to let me know until she went into hospice. (family dynamics are not great) That really really really hurt. She passed away on Monday.

We haven't cancelled our trip yet. I guess I am holding onto hope - but I also realize the reality of the situation is leaning towards us not being able to go. It is what it is. Trying to remember how fortunate we are that Ian and Kylie still have their jobs. We are able to help Emily out for a while. So far we are all healthy. Nothing else matters.
Jen, I'm so sorry about your sister. *hugs*
We lost my dad this morning too, at least we knew it was coming (cancer/dementia/heart issue)

Everyone stay safe, this lull in the programming will not last!

Love to all!

Last edited:
Jen & Cindy...my heartfelt sympathies to you and your families with the loss of your loved ones. This situation we are in brings so many challenges, including illnesses and passing of close friends and relatives. My prayers are going up for each of you.

Jen and Cindy- so sorry to hear of the passing of your loved ones. Stay strong everyone

Jen- my daughter, who is 33, said almost the exact same words to me. Stay in the house. She was so afraid that she, her husband or my 8 month-old granddaughter would infect me. Being a month shy of 68 and a former cancer patient, (my radiation ended in September,) she has been so worried; it is like she has become the parent. All of her friends are acting the same way towards their parents. My DH is essential and is working half days, he also does food shopping about once every week to 10 days. So, we're just hoping he doesn't catch it. He will be 64 in a couple of months. My daughter is a school based Head Start teacher and all schools in our county closed for the year. Luckily, she is getting paid and still has her health insurance coverage. My parents, both in their 90's, are in a locked down senior living facility and my dad is not allowed to visit my mom in the nursing care building. I don't even want to think about the possible scenarios there.
I am so sorry about your sister. That was entirely too sudden for you to process it all.
Cindy- I am sorry about your dad. (Edited to correct that, so,sorry I got it wrong!) Even when expected, it is still a loss and a time when you need hugs!! I miss hugging so much. My daughter has been wonderful. She shares so many photos and videos. We FaceTime with her and my granddaughter every day. I want her to still recognize us when we can finally go see her again. I am a homebody, a retired teacher, and staying at home is not a huge hardship, I just miss holding my granddaughter in my arms.
Sorry to unload on everyone! This group has always been so welcoming, helpful, and supportive. I guess I just needed to reach out to my VWL friends. I hope you are all staying safe and healthy. I know we are all looking forward to the day when we can stay at our beloved lodge again. Here's a photo from my January trip. Even when we don't stay in the VWL, we always visit it.
IMG_7730.JPG

Last edited:
Bluecastle- Like you - my 93 yr mom is in the nursing home and my 93 yr dad in a senior independent center and this is the longest they’ve been apart in 70 years as both facilities are on lockdown. My husband is staying with our daughter to help with our 2 GrandGirls while I WFH. I miss hugs!!!

Jen, I'm so sorry about your sister. *hugs*
We lost my dad this morning too, at least we knew it was coming (cancer/dementia/heart issue)

Everyone stay safe, this lull in the programming will not last!

Love to all!

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad. 😢

Hi Groupies.... I finally caught up this week on the thread. I have missed you!

Dana and I were in NYC with my friend and her husband 3 weeks ago. As we were driving home, my cousin texted me to say the State of Emergency had been declared there. At that point, it was just becoming clear how serious this thing is. So scary!

I work for a Biotech company with International operations, including China. We had been receiving updates weeks before it had become an issue here in the US, and our CEO was very proactive, and implemented a work from home model for the majority of colleagues that began the 13th of March, weeks before the State of MA implementation.

So, the four of us are home 24/7 lol.

On a Disney related note, we canceled our May trip in early March. We have our September trip with our older son and his wife (trying to convince son #2 and dil to also join)! Hoping by then this horrible situation is in the rear view mirror. 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

Stay safe friends. ❤️

Thank you all for your support and caring. I inherited my love of technology and all the ways we can change the ordinary into the extraordinary from my father. He was a huge fan of the Disney parks and particularly of Fort Wilderness. DVC is my version of that camping in Disney without the baggage of a trailer. Without his influence on me I would not be a groupie today.

Love to all. Stay safe!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter