VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Seems to me that tour has stopped and started a couple of times the past few years. Kind of like Flag Family.

Hopefully this is just a short term thing until the “new normal” comes into existence. It’s a low cost (to Disney) service that many have enjoyed over the years.

still...it’s hard to see it discontinued.
I was so sad when I saw about this. It's hard to see these kind of things go.
Sad news for us Lodge lovers. Saw where Wonders of the Lodge tour is being discontinued because of the cutbacks. One more thing Ranger Stan had a hand in developing is falling by the way. Glad we got to do it with him but imagine the Rangers now (if they are still there) are sad to see it go.
Yes, another sad day for the Lodge, along with the report the bison are gone (again hopefully temporarily). Obviously, the current situation is unprecedented, but it will be tough to just sit by and watch the next year+ unfold. We can only hope and dream that one day our beloved Lodge will return to her former glory (along with the rest of Disney).

On a lighter note, I guess that puts a dent in my plan to become Ranger Sleepy along with Ranger JimmyTammy. Speaking of Disney, I've finally been "promoted." Still a few more days of OJT, but at least I no longer am "earning my ears."

Have a good rest of your week, Groupies!

On a lighter note, I guess that puts a dent in my plan to become Ranger Sleepy along with Ranger JimmyTammy. Speaking of Disney, I've finally been "promoted." Still a few more days of OJT, but at least I no longer am "earning my ears."
View attachment 533814

SleepyDog...awesome to see the concrete emblem of your duties with Disney! I didn't realize that the Hilton Head CM badges had a tree and Shadow's footprints on it. It makes sense...I guess I just didn't notice it during my visit years ago. Congratulations again...we are all "living the dream" through you and Luv! :)

Last edited:
SleepyDog...awesome to see the concrete emblem of your duties with Disney! I didn't realize that the Hilton Head CM badges had a tree and Shadow's footprints on it. It makes sense...I guess I just didn't notice it during my visit years ago. Congratulations again...we are all "living the dream" through you and Luv! :)
Yes, those are the new name tags for HHI. They're only a few months old, if that. They're nice, huh? Currently, Luv is still Claire from the Philippines. pirate:

We were way to far down the page today!!, 36 days!!! I hope people are a little smarter than it seems they have been so that we can go. Cello mom we are the 28th - Dec 5th. We were supposed to leave on the 4th but Jet Blue changed our flight and since it was more than 60 minutes we were able to get another day, so I booked a 1 night studio at Kidani. My daughters friend has never been to AKL so I think it will be fun to see how they like it. Hope you all have a great weekend. I think tomorrow might be the last nice day up here in Mass. After that it gets cold.

So, we were finally able to visit our granddaughter again after waiting 2 weeks for my S-I-L to get 2 negative tests after returning from a family wedding in TN. It lifted our spirits immeasurably!
Our daughter has been streaming WDW walk-through videos on her TV and observing what our DGD responds to. Yesterday we were watching a walk-through of Kidani and when she saw the giraffe, she got so excited! My DD has been lobbying for a stay at AKL for years and I have always vetoed it, for various reasons, not just because it's not WL! :)
A plan seemed to evolve so quickly around me, mostly by my DH and DD who were enthusiastically listing all the positives about how we could make this a resort and DGD-centric trip. Before I knew it, I was researching Kidani and AKL, something I've never done!!
I doubt there is an equivalent group to this one on the DIS for AKL/Kidani, so I will research on other threads, but return here for the fellowship. It feels very strange to be planning a stay elsewhere, but my daughter and I will make sure we make a dining res at WL to guarantee a visit! Our target dates are first week of February 2022. Still not making a trip counter until it gets closer. My DGD will be 2.7 years old, a challenge I know, but at least she will be free!!
Any pointers on planning would be very welcome.
It's a cold dreary day here in VA, hope it's nicer where you are!!

So, we were finally able to visit our granddaughter again after waiting 2 weeks for my S-I-L to get 2 negative tests after returning from a family wedding in TN. It lifted our spirits immeasurably!
Our daughter has been streaming WDW walk-through videos on her TV and observing what our DGD responds to. Yesterday we were watching a walk-through of Kidani and when she saw the giraffe, she got so excited! My DD has been lobbying for a stay at AKL for years and I have always vetoed it, for various reasons, not just because it's not WL! :)
A plan seemed to evolve so quickly around me, mostly by my DH and DD who were enthusiastically listing all the positives about how we could make this a resort and DGD-centric trip. Before I knew it, I was researching Kidani and AKL, something I've never done!!
I doubt there is an equivalent group to this one on the DIS for AKL/Kidani, so I will research on other threads, but return here for the fellowship. It feels very strange to be planning a stay elsewhere, but my daughter and I will make sure we make a dining res at WL to guarantee a visit! Our target dates are first week of February 2022. Still not making a trip counter until it gets closer. My DGD will be 2.7 years old, a challenge I know, but at least she will be free!!
Any pointers on planning would be very welcome.
It's a cold dreary day here in VA, hope it's nicer where you are!!
I know for a fact that zebra and giraffe love Wilderness Lodge, although there have been complaints by the latter regarding door height.

There are a few of us groupies who are fans and/or owners of both VWL and AKV. You'll get plenty of help over on the AKV thread on which you posted as we're there too, but feel free to share your thoughts on your trip here as I don't think there is a more active/friendly thread around.

🐻🦓

I have only stayed in AKL -Jambo House, but I love it for a change. (AKL is also one of my home resorts)
Since the same architect designed both lodges, it has a similar feel and it has a fireplace that is great to sit around and people watch.
I have not been over to Kidani, so all I can tell you about is the main house - Jambo.

I have only stayed in AKL -Jambo House, but I love it for a change. (AKL is also one of my home resorts)
Since the same architect designed both lodges, it has a similar feel and it has a fireplace that is great to sit around and people watch.
I have not been over to Kidani, so all I can tell you about is the main house - Jambo.
Thanks! I'm leaning towards Kidani because they have dedicated 2 BRs with 3 bathrooms!

I don't know a lot yet, but looking at a map it seems like being between the Timon elevator and the lobby on the sunset savannah side might be a good choice.
You definitely want the sunset savanna as it's the large one with giraffe. The smaller savanna on the other side most often has smaller animals, although the keepers have been known to put red river hogs out on sunset (these guys are hysterical, in a way they remind me of puppies).

We will be at HHI Dec 1-3, VGF Dec 3-5, then VWL 5-10. We do have park reservations because our AP’s are active, but don’t feel we have to go into parks if we don’t feel safe. We do have a lunch date with Meriweather at Brown Derby on the 9th.

We have an Epcot Park plan for arrival date on 3rd, but staying at GF, or heading to WL and meeting Groupies would be preferable!

Bobbi
Our VWL stay was extended to December 11. Any thoughts on meeting, perhaps by the outside CS? Haven’t eaten there yet, but it’s on our to do list!

I don't know a lot yet, but looking at a map it seems like being between the Timon elevator and the lobby on the sunset savannah side might be a good choice.
The 2brs at Kidani are awesome! Do request a room in the Timon elevator section. On our last stay, we were on the 2nd floor in the Timon area, our group loved this location.

So frustrated!!! I just got an email from Southwest that they changed our flight coming into Orlando and it's 2 and a half hours later now. Ugh. That was the day we were gonna to to the Lodge and now I don't think we will be able to.
Check and see if there is one earlier that works better. I just added a day because Jet Blue changed out departing Orlando time by 85 minutes. If they change it more than 60 minutes they (JetBue) at least will change to whatever works for you. My original flight was only $105. The one. I changed it to the next day is $636.00. I addEd a night in a studio at Kidani and now we will get one more day of our vacation.

SleepyDog do you mind putting ud down for BLT November 28-Dec 4 th, then Kidani 4-5th. Greatly appreciated.

Check and see if there is one earlier that works better. I just added a day because Jet Blue changed out departing Orlando time by 85 minutes. If they change it more than 60 minutes they (JetBue) at least will change to whatever works for you. My original flight was only $105. The one. I changed it to the next day is $636.00. I addEd a night in a studio at Kidani and now we will get one more day of our vacation.
We did. Sadly there aren't any earlier ones. We had the earliest. We were on a one stop no plane change through Houston leaving at 6 getting in at 1:10. They changed it to leaving at 7 stopping in Chicago and getting in at 3:45. No way I'm going through Chicago in the winter. So we ended up with one that is a direct flight. We will get in around 4:30 now. No earlier options .
Glad it worked out for you that you at least get another day of your vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!