VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Hi @sleepydog25, would you mind adding me to the list on page 1?

DHHIR ~ March 13th-20th, 2021 (really hoping the border is open by then and travel advisories are lifted)

VWL!! ~ August 21st-29th, 2021. First mother/son trip celebrating my oldest son's 21st birthday!

So, we were finally able to visit our granddaughter again after waiting 2 weeks for my S-I-L to get 2 negative tests after returning from a family wedding in TN. It lifted our spirits immeasurably!
Our daughter has been streaming WDW walk-through videos on her TV and observing what our DGD responds to. Yesterday we were watching a walk-through of Kidani and when she saw the giraffe, she got so excited! My DD has been lobbying for a stay at AKL for years and I have always vetoed it, for various reasons, not just because it's not WL! :)
A plan seemed to evolve so quickly around me, mostly by my DH and DD who were enthusiastically listing all the positives about how we could make this a resort and DGD-centric trip. Before I knew it, I was researching Kidani and AKL, something I've never done!!
I doubt there is an equivalent group to this one on the DIS for AKL/Kidani, so I will research on other threads, but return here for the fellowship. It feels very strange to be planning a stay elsewhere, but my daughter and I will make sure we make a dining res at WL to guarantee a visit! Our target dates are first week of February 2022. Still not making a trip counter until it gets closer. My DGD will be 2.7 years old, a challenge I know, but at least she will be free!!
Any pointers on planning would be very welcome.
It's a cold dreary day here in VA, hope it's nicer where you are!!
We have only stayed at Kidani, but really love the feel of the resort. That being said, ask for room near Lobby. We have been stuck way near the end of one of the long corridors, and its a hike to get back to the main area. Dont let this scare you off, its just what I have learned. I love the Savannah views, coffee on the balcony and watching the animals as they come alive in the AM is worth the extra points. Also, Sanaa is a very good restaurant and a great place to hang out after a long day. Bread Service is a must there, right SleepyDog?

Sleepydog I totally forgot to ask you to add me to the list! BWV Jan 23-Feb1. Thank you!!!!
Hi @sleepydog25, would you mind adding me to the list on page 1?

DHHIR ~ March 13th-20th, 2021 (really hoping the border is open by then and travel advisories are lifted)

VWL!! ~ August 21st-29th, 2021. First mother/son trip celebrating my oldest son's 21st birthday!
You're both all set!!

We have only stayed at Kidani, but really love the feel of the resort. That being said, ask for room near Lobby. We have been stuck way near the end of one of the long corridors, and its a hike to get back to the main area. Dont let this scare you off, its just what I have learned. I love the Savannah views, coffee on the balcony and watching the animals as they come alive in the AM is worth the extra points. Also, Sanaa is a very good restaurant and a great place to hang out after a long day. Bread Service is a must there, right SleepyDog?
Yes! Bread service is a must!!!!!

My waitlist came through. I was first able to secure a BRV stay for Dec then took a shot and waitlisted CCV which came through so switched. I thought it’d be better to be closer to all the action. We have reservations for Whispering Canyon and plan to hit P &Js Roaring Fork and Geyser Point. Think that covers all the restaurant. LOL. Any suggestions for a first timer at the Lodge? I’d like to venture over to the camp grounds area for Tri-Circle D.

My waitlist came through. I was first able to secure a BRV stay for Dec then took a shot and waitlisted CCV which came through so switched. I thought it’d be better to be closer to all the action. We have reservations for Whispering Canyon and plan to hit P &Js Roaring Fork and Geyser Point. Think that covers all the restaurant. LOL. Any suggestions for a first timer at the Lodge? I’d like to venture over to the camp grounds area for Tri-Circle D.
First, :welcome: We're happy you dropped in to visit our Groupies and hope you'll come back often to chat, give us pictures, and become one of our family! I think you'll find us to be the friendliest group of, well, Groupies on the DIS. . .and we're definitely the most active. By the way, if you love the Lodge, you're automatically a Groupie--no need to learn a secret handshake or pay dues. . .though if you want to pay dues, please send them to me in small denomination bills.pirate:

As for things to do, obviously under COVID the list has changed. But, here are a few items I'd suggest (I'm sure others will chime in with more):
- Grab a Hidden Mickey hint sheet from the front desk and go searching.
- Walk around the resort at night and soak up the ambiance
- Head toward the VWL--okay, fine: BRV--building and watch the lanterns flicker and crickets chirrup
- Sit in the main lobby and watch people come into the lobby for the first time--it's awe-inspiring. You may very well be watched when you walk in for the first time!
- Take the boat to MK--it's an attraction unto itself.
- Relax in the Carolwood Room in the VWL building and play checkers.

Honesty, WL is more of a state of mind destination than a place to DO something. We think you'll find a new place to call "home." Again, welcome!

Don't rush to get into the resort. Take your time going into the building and take it all in. When you walk through the doors into the Lodge just kind of stand there for a minute and soak that all in too. I swear no matter how many times you enter into there it is awe inspiring but as a first timer it is really special. I'm jealous! Have a great time.

First, :welcome: We're happy you dropped in to visit our Groupies and hope you'll come back often to chat, give us pictures, and become one of our family! I think you'll find us to be the friendliest group of, well, Groupies on the DIS. . .and we're definitely the most active. By the way, if you love the Lodge, you're automatically a Groupie--no need to learn a secret handshake or pay dues. . .though if you want to pay dues, please send them to me in small denomination bills.pirate:

As for things to do, obviously under COVID the list has changed. But, here are a few items I'd suggest (I'm sure others will chime in with more):
- Grab a Hidden Mickey hint sheet from the front desk and go searching.
- Walk around the resort at night and soak up the ambiance
- Head toward the VWL--okay, fine: BRV--building and watch the lanterns flicker and crickets chirrup
- Sit in the main lobby and watch people come into the lobby for the first time--it's awe-inspiring. You may very well be watched when you walk in for the first time!
- Take the boat to MK--it's an attraction unto itself.
- Relax in the Carolwood Room in the VWL building and play checkers.

Honesty, WL is more of a state of mind destination than a place to DO something. We think you'll find a new place to call "home." Again, welcome!

Thank you and I will definitely take all of it in. My daughter will love the hidden Mickey challenge. Our plan is to take the boat to MK.

I am stalking contracts at CCV so hopefully I will soon be part of the family. My home now is AKV.

Don't rush to get into the resort. Take your time going into the building and take it all in. When you walk through the doors into the Lodge just kind of stand there for a minute and soak that all in too. I swear no matter how many times you enter into there it is awe inspiring but as a first timer it is really special. I'm jealous! Have a great time.

Thank you. I might just sleep in the lobby if possible. Haha. I‘ve seen the amazing pics online and YouTube videos.

I remember the first time I walked into that lobby. I cried. A dream come true that no amount of research could prepare me for. I pretty much tear up every time, but I actually stood still and cried the first time I walked in and saw the Christmas tree. No matter what season, and even if I'm not staying there, I don't think I will ever take that lobby for granted. I too am jealous of all first-timers!!

Thanks, jimmytammy! I have been wanting to try Sanaa for a very long time, but it's never fit into our plans. Now I will have no excuse! I've always wanted to try that bread service.
I'm thinking that everyone who does internet research of any kind probably asks for "close to lobby", so I will just hope for the best when the time comes. :)

Last edited:
Thank you and I will definitely take all of it in. My daughter will love the hidden Mickey challenge. Our plan is to take the boat to MK.

I am stalking contracts at CCV so hopefully I will soon be part of the family. My home now is AKV.
You don't have to own at VWL to be part of the family! All that's required is a love of the Lodge. So welcome to the family!

You don't have to own at VWL to be part of the family! All that's required is a love of the Lodge. So welcome to the family!
She's absolutely correct! Welcome to the Groupies!! That being said, I do understand wanting to be part of the "family" of the Wilderness Lodge. You may be aware already, but there is also a CCV owners thread with tons of great information. They're our sister thread and a very good group, too. We're older, so we claim the right to brag more than they do. pirate:

Anybody else going in December? We are finally going to be there in December when there is usually big groupie meets. I know there won’t be but hoping some might be. We just extended our trip to December 5th. We are going on 11/28.
Yes! Though we are staying in a Cabin, from 12/17 to either 12/22 or 12/23 (the end date depends on whether we fly down - in which case we leave 12/23 - or if we decide we'd feel safer driving - in which case we leave 12/22. If we drive down, we'll stop at HHI on the way down and on the way back. I have reservations held for all possibilities, and we'll make our decision on the 31 day mark!).

Oh, I guess I should request our vacations to go up on page 1!
12/17 to 12/22 or 12/23 at CCV Cabin

Also, our 20th Anniversary is August 24, 2021, and we've decided to finally get out to the "original" Wilderness Lodge -- ie, Old Faithful Inn -- just finished booking our stays for 2 weeks around our anniversary in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Craters of the Moon National Parks, with a 2 nights stay at the Old Faithful Inn. We've somehow NEVER been to Yellowstone yet, so we're super excited!!

So, we were finally able to visit our granddaughter again after waiting 2 weeks for my S-I-L to get 2 negative tests after returning from a family wedding in TN. It lifted our spirits immeasurably!
Our daughter has been streaming WDW walk-through videos on her TV and observing what our DGD responds to. Yesterday we were watching a walk-through of Kidani and when she saw the giraffe, she got so excited! My DD has been lobbying for a stay at AKL for years and I have always vetoed it, for various reasons, not just because it's not WL! :)
A plan seemed to evolve so quickly around me, mostly by my DH and DD who were enthusiastically listing all the positives about how we could make this a resort and DGD-centric trip. Before I knew it, I was researching Kidani and AKL, something I've never done!!
I doubt there is an equivalent group to this one on the DIS for AKL/Kidani, so I will research on other threads, but return here for the fellowship. It feels very strange to be planning a stay elsewhere, but my daughter and I will make sure we make a dining res at WL to guarantee a visit! Our target dates are first week of February 2022. Still not making a trip counter until it gets closer. My DGD will be 2.7 years old, a challenge I know, but at least she will be free!!
Any pointers on planning would be very welcome.
It's a cold dreary day here in VA, hope it's nicer where you are!!
Oh, you'll love AKV!! It's our second home (VWL being first!). We technically own at BOTH Jambo and Kidani, and while Jambo is our favorite for the "wow" factor (stop in and check out the lobby!) we do love the splash pad area of Kidani, and the extra bathrooms in the 1 and 2 BRs are a really, really nice extra. The rooms are also slightly larger than at Jambo. Definitely request the Sunset Savanna so you can see both giraffe and zebra! There's definitely nothing so great as sitting on your balcony in the morning with your cup of tea (or coffee), watching the animals. It's a little bit of heaven. I may love VWL slightly more, but that has to be one of my favorite experiences when at Disney (which is why we also own at AKV).

AKV was also designed by Peter Dominick (who designed the Wilderness Lodge), so it'll have that great "coming home" feel because there are similarities in design, while also feeling very different. Do take the opportunity to walk around the resort, as there is a fantastic amount of African art and craftwork everywhere.

I love Peter Dominck's style - he also designed the Grand Californian. I have a small VGC contract in ROFR right now that I desperately hope passes, because then I will own my Peter Dominick trifecta! ;-)

Yes! Though we are staying in a Cabin, from 12/17 to either 12/22 or 12/23 (the end date depends on whether we fly down - in which case we leave 12/23 - or if we decide we'd feel safer driving - in which case we leave 12/22. If we drive down, we'll stop at HHI on the way down and on the way back. I have reservations held for all possibilities, and we'll make our decision on the 31 day mark!).

Oh, I guess I should request our vacations to go up on page 1!
12/17 to 12/22 or 12/23 at CCV Cabin

Also, our 20th Anniversary is August 24, 2021, and we've decided to finally get out to the "original" Wilderness Lodge -- ie, Old Faithful Inn -- just finished booking our stays for 2 weeks around our anniversary in Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Craters of the Moon National Parks, with a 2 nights stay at the Old Faithful Inn. We've somehow NEVER been to Yellowstone yet, so we're super excited!!
Oh I'm so jealous!!!! We just love Yellowstone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts