Waikiki Before Aulani

lovetotraveltx

DIS Veteran
We have 2, 20 something DD's so thought it would be fun to do 2 nights in Waikiki before our 5 nights in Aulani.

We will get some groceries on the way to Aulani. But, does anyone know an easy grocery store on our way to Hilton Hawaiian Village from the airport. We will have a fridge so would like to get some drinks and snacks for the room and maybe a few non perishable breakfast items.

Also, would the ocean house just for pupus and drinks be a nice place for our first night in hawaii or too much?? Thinking it's walking distance.

If not, suggestions for heavy appetizers or light dinner to walk to first night.

As always, appreciate the help!

There is a Safeway at 1360 Pali Highway on the way from the airport. Depending on what you need, there is an ABC store, with varying size grocery sections, a stone's throw any direction in Waikiki. We can usually find what we need at the beginning or end of our trips at one of those. Most, if not all, sell liquor, beer, wine and snacks. I googled the Ocean House because I wasn't familiar with it.

I was surprised that it is the restaurant in the Outrigger next to our condo. We walk by it regularly and it seems like it's customers are enjoying themselves. We have walked by and through the Sheraton two hotels down and the Edge of Waikiki bar there looks enticing, but alas not ideal with DD13 and friend. The patrons seem to enjoy themselves and there is live music there some evenings. It is outside and the food offerings are more appetizer bar foodish, which might matter depending on the weather and appetite. My favorite place for cocktails is at the Nobu restaurant across the street (not on beach). I think the drinks may be $1 or $2 more than the other places mentioned, but some serious mixologists work there. Check out each place's online menus if you're conflicted.

We don't go back 'til August. I am getting thirsty and a hankering for chicken long rice. Have fun!

Love the plan for 2 nights in Waikiki first!
We stayed right next door to the Hilton Hawaiian Village (at the Ilikai Marina) for the first leg (4 nights) of our Aulani trip this past December. We just went across the street to the ABC store for most of our needs, but DH did take a trip in the rental car to the nearby Safeway on one of the days.

The one he went to was right in the downtown area. I just googled it and the address is: 1234 S Beretania St, Honolulu

We had a great meal at the Hula Grill though its more of a walk (maybe 15 minutes) and also, if you can get a reservation, the menu at Dukes looked really good. We tried to get in, but over Christmas holiday they were fully booked, in hindsight I should have booked in advance but I wasnt sure beforehand what we would want.

When walking around the Hilton Hawaiian Village they also looked to have some good restauraunt options, so that might be nice as well.

We do it the other way. We are currently at Aulani for 6 nights then will transfer to Waikiki for 6 nights. We think Aulani is relaxing therefore go there first then onto Waikiki (Trump) for shopping / restaurant hopping etc. But in saying that, this is our 4th trip to Aulani and 14th trip to Oahu overall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter