Wait list--need to make sure I understand this

LadyLuck24

Mouseketeer
Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong spot.

I just purchased DVC last year and have only stayed on my points once. I am looking to travel in February and there isn't a ton of availability right now so I was looking at the wait list.

All my points have been banked into the next UY (I have an April UY) so I will have to borrow from next year to use my points.

I want to stay in Jambo house--a few of my days are missing so I'd have to wait list.
Saratoga is available and I want to book it so that I have SOME guaranteed place to stay.

So here's my question: if I borrow points from my April 2019 UY to book Saratoga, but then my waitlisted Jambo reservation goes through, do the Saratoga points then have to be used before April 2019?

Or, can I book Saratoga, and then somehow set up my waitlist request so that if I get Jambo, the points get taken from the Saratoga reservation (effectively cancelling the Saratoga reservation)?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. I'm just worried about borrowing points that I then have to use within a few months (which I wouldn't be able to do).

I just purchased DVC last year and have only stayed on my points once. I am looking to travel in February and there isn't a ton of availability right now so I was looking at the wait list.

All my points have been banked into the next UY (I have an April UY) so I will have to borrow from next year to use my points.

I want to stay in Jambo house--a few of my days are missing so I'd have to wait list.
Saratoga is available and I want to book it so that I have SOME guaranteed place to stay.

So here's my question: if I borrow points from my April 2019 UY to book Saratoga, but then my waitlisted Jambo reservation goes through, do the Saratoga points then have to be used before April 2019?

Or, can I book Saratoga, and then somehow set up my waitlist request so that if I get Jambo, the points get taken from the Saratoga reservation (effectively cancelling the Saratoga reservation)?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense. I'm just worried about borrowing points that I then have to use within a few months (which I wouldn't be able to do).
When you set up a waitlist you can check the box that you want the waitlist reservation to replace an existing one.

This. When you waitlist you have the option to have your waitlisted reservation replace an existing reservation (effectively cancelling Saratoga and using the points for Jambo.)

Last edited:
And if you're willing to split your reservation into pieces, you can grab the Jambo rooms available as separate reservations, and then make SSR reservations for the remaining days with a waitlist for Jambo. Note you can only have 2 waitlists, but you might have better luck grabbing a few nights you need rather than a whole reservation. Just my experience and a more seasoned veteran may have better advice at how to do it with the best possible outcome.

Yes you borrowed your 2019 UY points into 2018 so you have to use those points which have now become 2018 points by April 2019 which is the start of your 2019 UY.

For example if you borrowed 50 points from your 2019 use year to book SSR and the waitlist comes through and you only need 30 points for the AKL waitlist, the difference of 20 points will remain as 2018 points and must be used by April 2019.

Also note you have the choice of getting 30 day or 7 day cancellation. Which means but 30 or 7 days before the reservation it will automatically cancel the wait list. For the 30 it give you time in case you want to cancel the whole thing.

Yes you borrowed your 2019 UY points into 2018 so you have to use those points which have now become 2018 points by April 2019 which is the start of your 2019 UY.

For example if you borrowed 50 points from your 2019 use year to book SSR and the waitlist comes through and you only need 30 points for the AKL waitlist, the difference of 20 points will remain as 2018 points and must be used by April 2019.

So here is my question I have a trip scheduled for 2019 I am using 2019 points and borrowing some 2020 points. I am planning a 2021 trip now. If I waitlist a resort for my 2019 trip that is less than the resort I am staying in now what happens to the additional points that I borrowed from 2020? Do they go back to my 2020 use year and can be banked or do they stay in the 2019 use year and have to be used before 2020 use year begins. TIA

They stay in the 2019 use year. However, I think you could call and ask MS to bank some of your original 2019 points you are using in this reservation instead.

So here is my question I have a trip scheduled for 2019 I am using 2019 points and borrowing some 2020 points. I am planning a 2021 trip now. If I waitlist a resort for my 2019 trip that is less than the resort I am staying in now what happens to the additional points that I borrowed from 2020? Do they go back to my 2020 use year and can be banked or do they stay in the 2019 use year and have to be used before 2020 use year begins. TIA

That assumes that on the date you actually cancel the 2019 reservation, you're still within your banking window for your 2019 UY. If it's too late to bank 2019 points, you're out of luck (unless you get an especially kind CM who's willing to give you the rumored-but-never-put-in-writing one-time special exemption from the banking rules).

Oops. Quoted wrong post - meant to quote the post stating you could reallocate and bank the extra 2019 points!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!