Waitlist question- what happens to the points?

dolewhipdreams

Counting days until my next Dole Whip
New member here so sorry if this is a dumb question or has been answered elsewhere (if it has, please point me to the right thread!).

We booked our welcome home stay for January 2019 and magically got all our nights in our preferred room (studio) except our first night, which was only available in a 1 bed. We're currently waitlisted for a studio (although I doubt something will open, as it's the Saturday of marathon weekend and we're looking for a studio at CCV...)

My question is this- what happens if we get our studio but it's after our banking period has passed? We have a Dec UY so if anything opens up after July will we just lose the difference in points anyway since we won't be able to bank them and we won't need them on this trip? Or is there an exception for cases like this where you can bank points you get back from a waitlist change?

If you have a Dec UY and a Jan 2019 trip....

You are either using your 2018 UY points or NEED to bank your 2017 UY points to use them for that trip. So, since you are talking about your July deadline (2 months from now), that deadline is to bank your 2017 points. So, bank them now! Otherwise, if you don't have enough 2018 points available, they will borrow your 2019 points.

Okay I think I got a little confused.

All of my 2017 points are being used on this trip already. So my upcoming July deadline is for my 2017 points (which is the year I'm currently in with a Dec UY). The only points I have left are my 2018 points and that deadline isn't until next July, right? In which case I don't need to worry about any points I would get back from my waitlist wishes being granted because I have until July 2019 to do something with them.

Geez, this is what happens when I ask questions before I'm caffeinated.

Points need to be available in your account for the dates of your stay.

:earsboy: Bill

Points need to be available in your account for the dates of your stay.

:earsboy: Bill
I had all the points already, I was more concerned about extra points that I might get back by 'downsizing' that one night from a 1 bed to a studio. But now I've realized that I was confused and wrong so it's all good :)

Okay I think I got a little confused.

All of my 2017 points are being used on this trip already. So my upcoming July deadline is for my 2017 points (which is the year I'm currently in with a Dec UY). The only points I have left are my 2018 points and that deadline isn't until next July, right? In which case I don't need to worry about any points I would get back from my waitlist wishes being granted because I have until July 2019 to do something with them.

Geez, this is what happens when I ask questions before I'm caffeinated.
If you booked the 1 bedroom with your 2017 points (most likely, based on what you've said so far) and if your waitlist works AFTER July 31, 2018, you will get 2017 points back into your account. You will not be able to bank them. They will expire on 11/30/2018 if not used before then. If the waitlist works BEFORE 7/31/2018, you will be able to bank the returned points as long as you do it on or before 7/31/2018.

You would have had to borrow to book the 1 bedroom with 2018 points. No matter when the waitlist works, the returned points will come back as borrowed. You will not be able to return them to 2018 or bank them. They will expire on 11/30/2018.

If you booked the 1 bedroom with your 2017 points (most likely, based on what you've said so far) and if your waitlist works AFTER July 31, 2018, you will get 2017 points back into your account. You will not be able to bank them. They will expire on 11/30/2018 if not used before then. If the waitlist works BEFORE 7/31/2018, you will be able to bank the returned points as long as you do it on or before 7/31/2018.

You would have had to borrow to book the 1 bedroom with 2018 points. No matter when the waitlist works, the returned points will come back as borrowed. You will not be able to return them to 2018 or bank them. They will expire on 11/30/2018.
Oh yikes! Can I request that the reservation for that night be booked with 2018 points??

Oh yikes! Can I request that the reservation for that night be booked with 2018 points??

That won't help you. You would have to borrow the 2018 points to do reserve the 1 bedroom night (because it falls within your 2017 use year). Once borrowed, the 2018 points "become" 2017 points and can't be put back or banked into 2018.. If not used, the borrowed points expire on 11/30/2018.

I think you basically have two choices:

1. You can cancel the studio waitlist on July 31 (if it doesn't come through) and just plan to stay in the 1 bedroom that first night. No lost points but you have to move.

2. You can keep the waitlist, knowing that if it comes through, you will probably just have to let the extra points expire (or maybe you can transfer or rent them if you can't use them before they expire). The plus to this is that you won't have to move. You could consider the "lost" points as the price of staying in the same room for your whole vacation. I did that once and lost 5 points. Even though I STRONGLY appreciated not having to move, it still hurt a bit when I had to let those 5 points go. (It was before Frozen, so I couldn't even sing the song when they went away, LOL).

That won't help you. You would have to borrow the 2018 points to do reserve the 1 bedroom night (because it falls within your 2017 use year). Once borrowed, the 2018 points "become" 2017 points and can't be put back or banked into 2018.. If not used, the borrowed points expire on 11/30/2018.

1. You can cancel the studio waitlist on July 31 (if it doesn't come through) and just plan to stay in the 1 bedroom that first night. No lost points but you have to move.

2. You can keep the waitlist, knowing that if it comes through, you will probably just have to let the extra points expire (or maybe you can transfer or rent them if you can't use them before they expire). The plus to this is that you won't have to move. You could consider the "lost" points as the price of staying in the same room for your whole vacation. I did that once and lost 5 points. Even though I STRONGLY appreciated not having to move, it still hurt a bit when I had to let those 5 points go. (It was before Frozen, so I couldn't even sing the song when they went away, LOL).
Oh that's a bummer!

Thank you so much for explaining that clearly for me.

Do you happen to know what the chances are that I could rent 16 points? That's what I would lose in this case.

Wait....But....huh?

She's traveling in her 2018 UY isn't she? So the 2017 points would already be banked.....right?

I took it as MS banked her 2017 UY and used them to book a Jan 2019 (2018 UY) trip. So, refunded points would go back to 2018 UY (banked). I missed the whole refund of points at first, but regardless any and all 2017 s/b banked into 2018 and she doesn't have to worry about anything this July (2018 calendar year).

She would have to use the refunded points (if they are banked 2017 points) by 11/30/2019.

Wait....But....huh?

She's traveling in her 2018 UY isn't she? So the 2017 points would already be banked.....right?

I took it as MS banked her 2017 UY and used them to book a Jan 2019 (2018 UY) trip. So, refunded points would go back to 2018 UY (banked). I missed the whole refund of points at first, but regardless any and all 2017 s/b banked into 2018 and she doesn't have to worry about anything this July (2018 calendar year).

She would have to use the refunded points (if they are banked 2017 points) by 11/30/2019.
You are correct. Thanks for catching my error.

But booking the 1 bedroom with 2018 points instead of 2017 banked points still isn't a good idea. She would then be using 2018 points and still have the banked 2017 points to use up. The good news is that the banked 2017 points won't expire until 11/30/2019. She can bank unused 2018 points up to July 31, 2019. Then those would be good unti! 11/30/2020.

December use years are often confusing!!

Okay I'm definitely still confused. Maybe I'll just give MS a call and sort it out.

But like I mentioned, it is highly unlikely that my room will open up so all of this confusion is probably for nothing :P

Wow...a Dec use year is confusing!
I was thinking if the OP used all of her 2017 points and some 2018 points when she made the reservation that if she had MS use the 2018 points for that night and her waitlist came thru her refunded points would be ok (because they would be 2018 points that had been used for a 2018 trip therefore they weren't borrowed or banked and they would be going back to her 2018 points that would not have yet needed to be banked.)
I could be wrong though...the December use year has me all confused! I thought an April use year was hard

It uses all of my 2017 points plus 35 2018 points. If my waitlist goes through, it would use 17 2018 points.
So you banked all the 2017 points into your Dec 2018 use yr for your Jan 2019 trip right?

If the WL comes through you’ll get back 17 points? Just make sure that if it happens that the 17 points they put back in your acct are 2018 not 2017 points & you’re fine. Those 17 points will be put back into their original UY.

It uses all of my 2017 points plus 35 2018 points. If my waitlist goes through, it would use 17 2018 points.
In that case,
your refunded points should simply go back into your 2018 UY and you would have until July 2019 to bank them or November 2019 to use them. I would just double check to make sure MS refunds the right points (2018) after the w/l goes through.

Thought I would update you in case you are interested...
But my waitlist came through (woohoo!) and I got my points back. They were added to my 2018 points so I don't have to worry about scrambling to bank them. Thanks again everyone for your input!

That’s awesome that your waitlist came through!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter