Walking with cane and being disable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave up my seat twice (on the same bus) last week. Once to a family boarding with their ECV-using grandmother, and then at the next stop (I was at Saratoga Springs and they have 5 stops), I gave up my new seat to a mom with two kids, and another in her arms. Two younger-than-me men stayed seated, but who knows what kind of health issues they might be experiencing? I know from experience that you cannot judge a disability from just a glance.
Thank you very much for what you do . You was rasied by good people. Or you are just a good person

I know the rule but my pain level was getting to we’re i could not stand it and knowing I had to drive home the next day. That night I could not sleep in the bed I was on the floor or in the time b with hot water and taking pain medicine and two day later I still having trouble. Yaw for get I’m all ready on morphine pump so when my pain level rises it off the chart for others . All I wanted was a seat
It sounds like you overdid it. I would really look into an ECV or wheelchair ( Yes I know more money, it may mean you have to do without something like doing a quick service instead of an ADR, I know for me to go to Disney for new years eve this year to accommodate my disability I had to miss two trips, ) but it sounds like you were in quite a bit of pain and the region why was all the walking. You do not need to use whatever mobility device all the time you can park it in the land you are in and walk some or take it with you (a wheelchair you can push) This way you are not in so much pain your pain is off the chart and you have a set whenever you need it.

I don’t have money running out of my pocket I’m a disabled veteran that don’t work so my wife save her money to go or my kids pay for my trip.?
All that need to have happen was the rude lady let me load the Frist bus in the handicap lane and all would have been great. So don’t tell me I fail to make other arrangements to get back to hotel. The shaded of green buses I had no trouble at all great hotel and bus service.
So don’t try to turn this around and say it’s my fault Mrs jvb !!!!!!!

The buses give priority to those in wheelchairs when boarding ,due to them taking so long.. they wont let others board until the wheelchair is securely settled and locked down.. they dont want people on the bus while the driver is assisting the guest in the chair board.. once that person boards they will allow other guests on.. I too have had disc fusion surgery and have arthritis in my hips and cant stand too long , and unless im prepared to ask another guest to give up a seat on the bus , they usually dont.. at that point in the day peoples thinking is we are all tired and sore..so I got here first.. I do get where you are coming from and its not nice to be in that much pain.. I have been one of the first people at the bus stop waiting , but because I have sat down .. people get in line ahead of me and then wont let me get to the front to be first on..

My husband is 100% Disabled Vet and so I get the money situations , we cant all afford to go out and rent a wheelchair or ECV ,, we barely get by as it is , as Im sure you are in the same situation.. so at this point it does fall on us to manage ourselves.. and realize at 1pm I need to go back to the hotel for a rest.. if thats not possible , then finding a shady spot and having a rest for an hour while the rest of my family do some rides without me..
we are lucky that we go for 4 days so we can really take our time.. its not a rush for us to do everything on our first day.. and that helps manage my pain and ability to get round the parks .

I hope your next trip is a lot more pleasant..

Lady how can you judge a person or know what they have been thought in life and to my wife pushing me she has done enough, most women would have left a long time ago. I was taking care of my needs when I ask to seat on the bus and not stand for 45 min and I don’t use the back door any way .So don’t tell me or judge me till you walk a miles in my shoes. Thank you

Ok so:

*You don't or won't drive to the parks
*You won't use a WC/ECV
*You don't (won't?) leave the park before your pain becomes unmanageable
*You don't accept any of the experienced posters' advice to apply the above strategies.

Your strategy to take care of your needs (preempting the line and/or taking an already occupied seat) didn't work and left you in pain. Clearly this is not a good strategy, no matter how much you may prefer it. I really hope your next trip is better, but I think you're going to need to give someone else's strategy a try.

I’m not sure what you expected the CM’s to do for you. The answer is rent a wheelchair or ECV. Go to guest services and ask for the DAS for any non-mobility issues that cause you not to be able to wait in lines. Wait until the crowds are over at park closure and the lines won’t be bad for the buses.

The best advice for not having to stand and wait for the bus is to not rush to get out of the park at closing or at times like right after a parade/fireworks/night show when a lot of people are trying to leave at the same time.
Sit in the park for at least 10-15 minutes to let the majority of the crowd get ahead of you. Instead of walking out in the middle of a tight crowd, you will have some space and not be rushed by the people all around you.

We do that and by the time we get to the bus stop, the first buses have left and there are a lot less people and a much greater chance of the bus not being full. We’ve also found that the people who rush to get the bus are much less likely to give up seats (partly because the bus is really full and partly because they rushed out hoping to best the crowds to the bus. The people who took their time and made their way out of the park slowly tend to be a bit more ‘chill’ in general.

The buses give priority to those in wheelchairs when boarding ,due to them taking so long.. they wont let others board until the wheelchair is securely settled and locked down.. they dont want people on the bus while the driver is assisting the guest in the chair board.. once that person boards they will allow other guests on.. I too have had disc fusion surgery and have arthritis in my hips and cant stand too long , and unless im prepared to ask another guest to give up a seat on the bus , they usually dont.. at that point in the day peoples thinking is we are all tired and sore..so I got here first.. I do get where you are coming from and its not nice to be in that much pain.. I have been one of the first people at the bus stop waiting , but because I have sat down .. people get in line ahead of me and then wont let me get to the front to be first on..

My husband is 100% Disabled Vet and so I get the money situations , we cant all afford to go out and rent a wheelchair or ECV ,, we barely get by as it is , as Im sure you are in the same situation.. so at this point it does fall on us to manage ourselves.. and realize at 1pm I need to go back to the hotel for a rest.. if thats not possible , then finding a shady spot and having a rest for an hour while the rest of my family do some rides without me..
we are lucky that we go for 4 days so we can really take our time.. its not a rush for us to do everything on our first day.. and that helps manage my pain and ability to get round the parks .

I hope your next trip is a lot more pleasant..
Thanks this is my Frist trip having trouble with that much pain . This was not my Frist trip, we have been coming from 1978 to present day and know we save or money or or kids take us just about every other year. I know the rule and have used the disable card every time with no trouble and I hope I never have trouble again. My son is bring us in June. I just needed help at that time and getting off my feet would have save me a lot of pain.
I’m also 100% non employable so yaw know what I make,
It great to talk to someone knowing how you feel. It had to explain cronic pain if you have never had it.

I don’t have money running out of my pocket I’m a disabled veteran that don’t work so my wife save her money to go or my kids pay for my trip.?
All that need to have happen was the rude lady let me load the Frist bus in the handicap lane and all would have been great. So don’t tell me I fail to make other arrangements to get back to hotel. The shaded of green buses I had no trouble at all great hotel and bus service.
even with a wheelchair look at offsite rental as they are usually cheaper than in park ones and then you would have one for the bus lines. and yews I have rented that way ton save money. plus as others have said park it around the park and walk when you can

The best advice for not having to stand and wait for the bus is to not rush to get out of the park at closing or at times like right after a parade/fireworks/night show when a lot of people are
The best advice for not having to stand and wait for the bus is to not rush to get out of the park at closing or at times like right after a parade/fireworks/night show when a lot of people are trying to leave at the same time.
Sit in the park for at least 10-15 minutes to let the majority of the crowd get ahead of you. Instead of walking out in the middle of a tight crowd, you will have some space and not be rushed by the people all around you.

We do that and by the time we get to the bus stop, the first buses have left and there are a lot less people and a much greater chance of the bus not being full. We’ve also found that the people who rush to get the bus are much less likely to give up seats (partly because the bus is really full and partly because they rushed out hoping to best the crowds to the bus. The people who took their time and made their way out of the park slowly tend to be a bit more ‘chill’ in general.

trying to leave at the same time.

What yaw don’t under stand my pain level was off the chart and I was needed to get back to get some releaf heat pad, pain meds or something to release the pain. I don’t ask for handicap every time we are at Disney it was that one time i need to leave then
Every other time we stay and shop for a hour but this time I need to leave stand in line for 45mins

Thank everyone for the comment.
I know the rule and abide by them every trip and not complain. But this is the Frist time my pain level has ever got that high on a trip and i new I need to get back to my room and try to manage my pain with what ever I had. Just a simple seat on the Frist bus would have save me a lot of pain and trouble.,

I'm very sorry, I do think you could have been shown more empathy with your immense pain issue. If you should ever have an unexpected flare up again, I would ask the CM to notify a supervisor you need a courtesy wheelchair. At the very least that would allow you a place to sit while waiting.

What yaw don’t under stand my pain level was off the chart and I was needed to get back to get some releaf heat pad, pain meds or something to release the pain. I don’t ask for handicap every time we are at Disney it was that one time i need to leave then
Every other time we stay and shop for a hour but this time I need to leave stand in line for 45mins

This is going to come back to personal responsibility again. You should have had your breakthrough meds on hand. You know that letting your pain levels climb up is not good. This is comparable to a diabetic not bringing insulin or low sugar quick sugar food. chasing your pain with pain meds after you have become miserable is a recipe for an accidental OD, Im sure your doctors have explained that to you.

@Top Sgt

First of all, many people here in the DISabilities community fully understand chronic pain from living with it on a daily basis. I have not known a day, a moment without pain since I was 14 years old, and injured in an accident. That is, for those of you playing along at home, 43 years of chronic, unrelenting pain. I have had days and times when my pain was "maxed out" and I was nearly wild searching for some kind - any kind - of relief.

Secondly, I have been going to WDW since July of 1972. So, yeah - I've seen it change over the years, just a little bit. The Disney World that you and I knew back in the 70's is long gone. So is, for that matter, the Disney World of even 5 years ago. Things are different now. Things have changed. Just like "Disney Springs" is now easily twice the size it once was... Disney World never stops growing and changing.

One of the biggest changes that impacts this community is that there are no longer benches... anywhere. None in the Parks, none at the bus stops, they just aren't there. Disney wants folks up and moving, not sitting around. The problem is, if you require a place to sit, there are no longer any benches to sit on. You might find a low wall, or a high curb... but there are fewer and fewer benches every year.

One of the biggest changes that Disney has made for folks like us is what I think of as the "mobility rule". Disney's rule is basically this: If you require a place to sit, then bring one along. Rent a wheelchair, or an ECV (scooter) or bring a Rollator. But don't expect Disney to magically create a place for you to sit just because you suddenly require one. As others here have explained to you, if your situation can be "improved" or "mitigated" by using a mobility device (like a wheelchair, walker, Rollator, or scooter) then Disney World is going to tell you that is the solution to use while you are on their property. It doesn't mean that you have to use it anywhere else out in the real world; but it does mean that you will most likely be best served by following their suggestion, and using a mobility device when you are at WDW.

I understand your financial situation; however, you have options available when it comes to mobility devices. First of all, reach out to the VA; if you have one nearby, many VFW posts now have liaisons that regularly meet with Vets at local VFWs to help facilitate needs. Ask the VA to provide you with a mobility device that best suits you. I would suggest either a travel-friendly scooter (as others have said, you don't have to use it all the time, you can park it, take the key, and walk around, then come back and move it to another area) or a Rollator, which is a walker with a built in seat, so that you will always have a place to sit if needed.

If for some reason the VA cannot or will not provide mobility equipment (they will, but it may take some time and effort on your part) you can also reach out to local Churches, The Elks, The Moose, The Masons and Shriners; any local service organization, and ask for their help with either borrowing or locating a mobility device. Some VFW posts keep a closet with medical and mobility aids that have been donated by Vets and/or their families, so that's another place to ask as well.

You have options, and it is up to you to explore them, and find what works best for you. Reach out to your community, and when you return to Disney World, bring along a mobility device so that you can have the best possible vacation with your family.

I under stand other people has no idea what a cronic pain person goes thought. Good days next day bad and I’m was a military so giving up in no answer. I was restricted to the house for 3 1/2 years and I prayed to god if he put me back on my feet I would do everything in my power to do good for family,friends and who ever I come in contact with. I would give them my shirt off my back if they need it .
So I’m not trying to get over people , cut lines or get something for free. All I needed was a place on the Frist bus. It may think I’m complaining but I’m not I was in pain and that night my pain level was off the chart.

Yup, having had cancer, and having had multiple surgeries, I know nothing about chronic pain. I do know that I am responsible for taking care of my needs. No one here said you were trying to cut, just that you need to have better strategies to handle your own issues.

Lady how can you judge a person or know what they have been thought in life and to my wife pushing me she has done enough, most women would have left a long time ago. I was taking care of my needs when I ask to seat on the bus and not stand for 45 min and I don’t use the back door any way .So don’t tell me or judge me till you walk a miles in my shoes. Thank you

Then rent an ECV.

Thanks this is my Frist trip having trouble with that much pain . This was not my Frist trip, we have been coming from 1978 to present day and know we save or money or or kids take us just about every other year. I know the rule and have used the disable card every time with no trouble and I hope I never have trouble again. My son is bring us in June. I just needed help at that time and getting off my feet would have save me a lot of pain.
It great to talk to someone knowing how you feel. It had to explain cronic pain if you have never had it.

We are all suggesting that you need to do something yourself for your issues. You can try the tough guy route all you want, but it doesn't seem to be working well for you.

OP - yes, it would have been very kind of the CM to allow you to board the bus through the back. However, the CM stuck to the rules it was not allowed. Now you are aware that CMs might not bend rules even for what may seem to be a reasonable request. Next time, you should have a plan in mind to provide a seat for yourself if the bus lines are long. I’m sorry you had a negative end to your vacation, and glad you still plan a future visit.

If this is off base, I completely apologize. But I'm a marine corps vet and I'm sure I'm probably much younger than you. I deal with pain every day. I'm sure that it is nothing in comparison to what you deal with on a daily basis, but I've had 6 surgeries in the last 8 years and I know what it's like to be in pain every day. We come from a lifestyle that is about sacrifice and brotherhood and comradery and being there for one another no matter what's going on, and as I'm sure you're realized, that's not how the rest of society necessarily is. Disney has its own way of doing things and their own policies.

I don't typically divulge much about my time in service, but I felt the need to reach out to you as a fellow service member. If you want to talk, please feel free to send me a private message. It's tough transitioning into a different environment from what you are used to. It definitely complicates things when you are in pain. And its tough to relate to people who haven't been through it. But if you want a friend, someone to talk through and commiserate about civilian vs military life, I'm here. Again, this is strange for me, but I felt this urge to reach out to you and let you know, as a fellow service member that I'm here for you.

I know this may not be what you want to hear, but an ECV will really help you not only for Disney trips, but also for any excursion you want to take that could potentially exacerbate your pain. The expense of an ECV is not insignificant, however the VA can provide you with one and even pay to modify your vehicle (once) with a carrier for an ECV. This would allow you to have it whenever and where-ever you might need it.
As others have said, you can ride it into the parks and walk around a bit as you want, but also have a place to rest/sit in the lines when needed. Speaking for myself, sitting all day hurts my back almost as much as standing, but being able to park my ECV and get up and move around allows me to spend time at Disney and elsewhere that I would not be able to otherwise experience.

I've walked miles with chronic pain. I've had my husband push me in a wheelchair. I've used a cane, a walker and now I use a scooter. I've passed on buses that wouldn't of had a seat. I've waited in the park for the crowds to die down so I could get to the exit and not have to wait for a bus.

I take care of my needs by making sure I have a seat, either on the bus or on the scooter. That is how I take care of my needs.

For me, in my opinion, asking others to stand is not me taking care of my needs. It is asking others to take care of them.

I know the rule but my pain level was getting to we’re i could not stand it and knowing I had to drive home the next day. That night I could not sleep in the bed I was on the floor or in the time b with hot water and taking pain medicine and two day later I still having trouble. Yaw for get I’m all ready on morphine pump so when my pain level rises it off the chart for others . All I wanted was a seat

The reality is that unless you were in a wheelchair or ECV, you have to wait in line and board the bus just like everyone else. When that didn't work for you, you had the option of taking a taxi or Uber. I understand that you are disabled and though you said money is an issue, you also said you've been to Disney multiple times in the last year. We regularly use a taxi between the parks and our hotel and the fair is usually around $20-25. If you really don't want to rent a wheelchair or ECV, I suggest you budget for using a taxi at the end of the day. You can also consider leaving the park well before closing so the buses are much less crowded, or hang out in the park until most of the crowds have already left, again leaving the buses less crowded. You also stated that you had to drive home the next day and you can consider driving to the parks instead of using the bus.

I know that from your perspective, Disney should have ignored all of its protocols and allowed you to board before everyone else. The reality is that many people have painful disabilities, some that no one can see, or are totally exhausted at the end of the day and they have to wait on line. If someone just had to say they were in pain, lots of people would suddenly want this special treatment, some not even disabled but taking advantage of things just like the old GAC system. I'm sorry for your pain and grateful for your service to this country but please understand that using the buses at certain times may not always be appropriate for you or others in a similar situation. I hope your June trip is better.

Sometimes those CM.. just have an off day,, not good for the next person who comes along.. in fact can impact that person way beyond their grumpy mood.. We all Typical and Non Typical guests all want the same thing.. have the best time possible for our situation.. and when you are doing that and a grumpy CM goes rouge on you. it feels like a slap in the face,.. on the other hand I can understand why some CM's go "rouge" enough painful guests would send anyone over the top.. not saying you were that guest, but ended up with the brunt of that.. Im sure that without the pain level you were at you would have been ok with waiting.. as any of us sufferers of chronic pain will understand..

Are you getting support from the VA?? they have been a god send to us..We are picking up a PWC from the Seattle VA this coming Tuesday.. they have been amazing with giving him aids and the like. You said you are a 25yr Vet.. so your level of benefit should entail you getting some sort of chair , whether that be manual or power.. Im assuming you have been through some sort clinics there and they are helping you ..

On a different note.. can I ask , would you recommend Shades of Green? we are on the West Coast and go to Disneyland.. have only been to the World. once.. Would love to get back there before my husband cant travel anymore... he has ALS.. and is slowly loosing all his motor function.. . and being at Shades of Green would be financially viable for us.. Thanks for any info you can give me ..

Nikki

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!