Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Universal has traditionally always followed Disney in these kind of announcements. It was very surprising to see Universal be first last night.
Universal doesn't have 25+ resorts and 4 parks to cancel reservations and tickets..etc. It will take a little bit longer to get their plan together.

I know this is stressful, but rest assured that you'll get your money back for everything. It will be easier and cleaner for your TA if you wait until they officially announce that they will be extending the closure.. Personally, I have been asking my clients to wait if they can while also telling them that I am happy to cancel everything now for them if they need the money ASAP. I know it's small potatoes when we look at the suffering that's happening across the globe, but I'm so sorry that your trip isn't going to happen :(.
This is likely what I will do, I am just getting antsy! I know my TA has just been slammed the last few weeks, so I don’t want to have her do unnecessary work. I won’t go on this trip even if for some reason Dis reopens, I am not comfortable going at this point in time. I’m not concerned about the trip, it’s sad but almost insignificant considering this whole situation. I’ll re-book when it is wise.

Places like WDW are really going to have to fight the urge to reopen as soon as possible. If they get even one story after reopening about a guest returning home and testing positive after visiting, they will be in for even more pain than they have now. Just imagine if that guest in turn leads to another outbreak somewhere else. The call to shut down places like theme parks for six months will be so loud politicians will act. Think Disney is facing a threat to their survival now, what happens then would be twice as bad.

Last edited:

While I agree it wasn’t the case during the first closure announcement. Disney announced first then Universal, and the others.
We dont know how long they had been planning it before.. they may have started earlier the first time. Both may have started at same time this time and Universal took less time to plan.

We dont know how long they had been planning it before.. they may have started earlier the first time. Both may have started at same time this time and Universal took less time to plan.
I’m going to guess that’s not how it went. In most cases of anything with theme parks Disney usually leads and universal follows. Not so much with ticketing anymore but Disney used to raise prices and then a day or two later universal would. In the event of a hurricane approaching, Disney will announce first then universal. It’s just how things have gone historically.

I’m going to guess that’s not how it went. In most cases of anything with theme parks Disney usually leads and universal follows. Not so much with ticketing anymore but Disney used to raise prices and then a day or two later universal would. In the event of a hurricane approaching, Disney will announce first then universal. It’s just how things have gone historically.
To be fair there is NOTHING historical about this

I just received an email from Southwest
According to the email because I fly the end of April from New York State we would
be required to quarantine for the first 14’days

Aww 💩, I just realized this would apply to me if it's still in effect in May. I'm from MA, but booked to fly out of Hartford and CT is included due to proximity to NY. We'd have to change to Providence or something.

Who gets to make the call about staying shut or opening, Iger or Chapek?
I’m sure this is a joint decision that impacts the entire company. I would guess the board is involved, as well as resort heads, Chapek and Iger. This isn’t one guy makes a call. They also have to work out financials for what they do with employees and stuff like that.

Aww 💩, I just realized this would apply to me if it's still in effect in May. I'm from MA, but booked to fly out of Hartford and CT is included due to proximity to NY. We'd have to change to Providence or something.
I would certainly hope you wouldn't really change airports to avoid a MANDATORY quarantine entering our state. There is a reason it has been set, how about respect it If it were the other way around, I would.

Well, Disney....got tired of waiting on you!! Called and cancelled my April 2nd-5th reservation just now. UGH. Makes me sad. Got our room/ticket package fully refunded and after being on hold for 20 minutes for a ticketing agent, they gave me a "one-time only exception" and refunded my Villains After Hours tickets in full.

I’m sure this is a joint decision that impacts the entire company. I would guess the board is involved, as well as resort heads, Chapek and Iger. This isn’t one guy makes a call. They also have to work out financials for what they do with employees and stuff like that.
I would imagine there is a "team" working on this. Lawyers, financial advisers, medical advisers, Chapek, Iger, the board, government officials etc.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!