WDW closed until April 10 (at least)

DVC Doctor

Member since 2001
DVC Gold
The order from Orange County Mayor Jerry L. Demmings would seem to prevent Walt Disney World from opening any earlier than April 10, 2020.

On Thursday, March 26, 2020 the mayor will sign a "stay at home mandate" which will run for a period of 2 weeks.

The order is likely to encompass non-essential entertainment venues like the Walt Disney World theme parks.

Universal Studios Orlando has also announced that it will remain shuttered until at least April 19, 2020.

Both of these dates are subject to extension.

Disney has not issued any operational updates for Walt Disney World other than they are scheduled to remain closed through March 31, 2020, although that date appears certain to be extended.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/

I am actually seeing about mid-May as the earliest possible opening date and even that is likely very optimistic. Five days ago, the Florida Governor ordered all restaurants to remain closed except for delivery and take out, and ordered all fitness centers (Disney resorts have them) closed, until May 7. I highly doubt Disney would open the parks and resorts without the ability to open restaurants and fitness centers.

I am actually seeing about mid-May as the earliest possible opening date and even that is likely very optimistic. Five days ago, the Florida Governor ordered all restaurants to remain closed except for delivery and take out, and ordered all fitness centers (Disney resorts have them) closed, until May 7. I highly doubt Disney would open the parks and resorts without the ability to open restaurants and fitness centers.

That order can be changed as quick as it was put into place.

But I do think mid May with limited operations.

I may be a cynic but lets see when the lost hotel tax revenue starts piling up in the state of Florida.

But I did just literally get off the phone with them as I had to figure out how much I put down (and with what CC) for a cash reservation starting 5/1 - as I do not expect WDW to be open before then.

That order can be changed as quick as it was put into place.

It can be, but that's a rough pivot for somewhere like WDW. A one-month shutdown means the supply chain is turned off/turned down for most of the perishables used even at QS. A lot of the food supply is just-in-time, with daily delivery.

It is a quick turn off but it's slower to turn back on to support operations.

It can be, but that's a rough pivot for somewhere like WDW. A one-month shutdown means the supply chain is turned off/turned down for most of the perishables used even at QS. A lot of the food supply is just-in-time, with daily delivery.

It is a quick turn off but it's slower to turn back on to support operations.
Also, many of the public facing personnel at rides and attractions, retail venues, and restaurants are staffed with College Program participants on a rotating basis. Their programs were terminated early and incoming CP participants have been delayed indefinitely. So even though cast members who are employed on a continuing basis are still available to return to work right away once a re-opening is announced, staffing ramp-up may take additional time before parks and resorts can return to full operation.

I truly have no words right now, other than I hope they take their time in making the decision which would keep the health and safety of the guests and staff at the forefront. After all we have families and loved ones, the most precious thing.

I think schools are done for the year and that might be when things might open back up, end of May? Right now I am just wanting to make it out of this with my life and that of my family. Don't care if we lose our house, our vacations, our material things. If we don't cruise next year, so be it. I just rather have my family around and be healthy.

^ I agree with so much of what you are saying. :flower3:

I accept that my DVC points will take a hit, why should they be protected when so many have lost so much, and bad things will be continuing ? I hope our families are alive.

I expect late May at the earliest, more likely mid June. That puts us at about 12 weeks from when things started getting bad in the US. First positive test in US was in January 21 with first death on February 29.

It was hard to do, but finally got the email that I could cancel my flight with no penalty for our April trip. I hated to do it as we had great ADRs and all the FPs we wanted, but had to cancel. I don't believe WDW would be open for our trip time and if they were, I'm not sure I'd want to go.
Hopefully, we can do as well for our October trip.

It was hard to do, but finally got the email that I could cancel my flight with no penalty for our April trip. I hated to do it as we had great ADRs and all the FPs we wanted, but had to cancel. I don't believe WDW would be open for our trip time and if they were, I'm not sure I'd want to go.
Hopefully, we can do as well for our October trip.

I know, it’s hard to cancel the trip. Most of us work hard getting our favorite resorts, booking our dining, getting the exact FP we want. Grab a great airfare and get into the moonlight events. I keep chipping away at my April reservation as I build a backup reservation for August. I keep telling myself that this is a setback, keep healthy, do my part by staying home and hopefully there will be another trip next spring! Hang in there!

My guess is Memorial Day Weekend. It's just a date that makes sense to me and it's festive.We had a trip planned for 4/18 but was able to cancel and rebook for i1st week in Aug. Stay safe everyone and we're really all in this together.

Just cancelled my April 18-24th trip as well. So heartwrenching...I was so looking forward to Flower and Garden festival. What makes it worse for us is that I had to make 2 sets of plans for this trip...it was originally just going to be DH and I, then DD15's Japan trip got moved to next year...so I made a whole second set of plans to add her to the trip/redo ADR's, FP+, and eventually getting her added to Moonlight Magic. Ug. Oh well. :worried:

For now I moved our reservation to Labor Day weekend (a 1 bedroom instead of a studio for 1 less pt than the current reservation...Dec UY), but might end up trying to get a 2 bedroom at Hilton Head for Thanksgiving...we'll see what availability looks like at the 7 mth point. Labor Day weekend would have Food and Wine festival and our AP's that were supposed to end on 8/4 will likely be extended past Labor Day at this point...but it is only 1 mth after we'd return from our summer trip to Disney (hopefully that one will happen!) As far as airfare, I cancelled the flight down that was booked with DH's southwest pts, and cancelled DD15's full fare flight for a full refund. Moved the flight home to September that was booked with my southwest pts as we had purchased Early Bird for the flight home and I don't want to lose the $50 I spent. Lol, so now we have a flight from Orlando on 9/8 for DH and I...no flight to Orlando, and no flights for DD15. Oh well...we'll try to figure it all out over the next month...while trapped at home. :rotfl2:

^ I agree with so much of what you are saying. :flower3:

I accept that my DVC points will take a hit, why should they be protected when so many have lost so much, and bad things will be continuing ? I hope our families are alive.
I know and I still do feel for all those who have lost this time at Disney or on DCL. This time last year we had one of the best vacations at Disney that we ever had. It was one of the top three. We did a bit of resort hopping with a stay at BCVs, AKVs and AoA. Would I do that again, no, but we had a blast at all three places and in the parks.

The whole state of Florida is going under a stay at home order at midnight Thursday. Lasts until 4/30. Our cases are supposed to peak on 5/3, according to models. I’m betting Disney doesn’t open until 6/1.

The whole state of Florida is going under a stay at home order at midnight Thursday. Lasts until 4/30. Our cases are supposed to peak on 5/3, according to models. I’m betting Disney doesn’t open until 6/1.
I agree that a June opening seems most likely at this point. It seems like America has pretty much written off April and May. We had a late May/early June trip booked, but have rescheduled that to late July, which is the latest we can go in the summer. I hope it works out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter