WDW in a powerchair

dizzyintx

Mouseketeer
We are just back and had a magical time! I found the WDW transportation very easy to use and getting on rides a snap. Mears wheelchair transportation was great. The cast members were also great and understanding of my needs. I cannot say enough good things about the whole trip.

The Wilderness lodge was wonderful and our room was very nice.The only problem was Delta, they tore up my new powerchair. Broke one leg rest and tore up the arm rest and scratched up one whole side.At least it happened on the way home. Since it was brand new, they said that they would pay for everything, just take it to my DME. So we will see....

Thank you everyone for all you help in answering all my questions. Kim:wave2: :wave2:

Hi Kim
Glad to hear you had a good time. Transportation can be either good or bad, happy find out you was a good experience.

We went to Los Vegas in October and the airline locked my DH power chair down by the shocks and ruined them. At least that is what the shop can figure out. We had the insurance cover it because it took a few days for the damage to show up. Airlines himmed and huwwed over it and it was just easier. We also had to have the arm rest pad replaced and have some scratches. I still can;t figure this one out but two caps where missing off the base of the chair.
I think they don't know how to make the power chairs lock again after putting them in push mode. I should the person who takes it away/ But I think the problem is the person who takes it off the plane. They can't figure out how to put it in push mode. Next trip I will attach instructions to it. Also I will inspect in better after hearing " We are having trouble with your chair".

At least they are fixable.
Linda

I think that's why my MIL is so reluctant to buy a power chair until she moves to Florida. I think she's heard all the stories about the airlines damaging chairs and she ends up using Randy's or Walker's.

Your idea about printing out an instruction sheet and attaching it to your chair is a good one. Laminate it, and punch some holes in the top and attach it with some zip strips so that it doesn't get lost in transit.

Suzanne

Oh, that does not make me feel very confident about taking DD's power wheelchair to WDW. And since she needs a very narrow chair for the length, renting isn't an option for us.
Putting instructions on is a good idea; we've done that to DD's wheelchairs since her first one when she was less than 3 (a manual chair then, just to make sure they folded it right). Hopefully, the airline people will read the instructions - although we haven't always had good luck with school people.
Glad to hear you had a good (and mostly fixable) time.

Just a warning to all. I had the instructions taped to the back of the powerchair. Also had the controls wrapped with bubble wrap. Didn't help at all. I also had a cute sign with a picture of Minnie (and in Disney font) asking them to be careful, this is my legs. We saw and heard them putting it under the plane. They have to turn them on their side. My left side where my controls were was OK. Right was all torn up.

What did I learn? Take the foot and head rest with you. Also, take the cushion and every thing that you can remove. It's heavy if you have a connecting flight, but worth it. Check in early(we did, but our connecting flight was the problem.) DO NOT USE A SMALL AIRLINE TO CONNECT TO YOUR FLIGHT! We used Delta Connections from Dallas back to Austin and that small plane was the problem.

Another thing, say a prayer.

Kim:teeth: :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter