WDW on pd dialysis

asumom

Mouseketeer
Looking for tips from anyone who has stayed at WDW on PD dialysis. Flying from west coast. Baxter will ship box of solution, probably 12 boxes, to resort. May or may not provide the cycler. I know to carry on the cycler and pack extra supplies. Mainly wondering your experience with bell services receiving the supplies. Did you have them arrive a few days prior to your visit? Did you call to make sure they had arrived? Any other tips are appreciated.

Disney site answers a few questions on their FAQ’s for guest services.
Your shipping should have the Resort Name and ArrivalDate and the correct address for your resort location along with Guest Name... it also mentions a handling fee.
Hope this helps.

Communicate with disability services ahead of time. Ask the hotel for a flat-top room service cart on wheels to remain in the room to place the cycler on. Also request a power cord and bathroom scale. Request a room that has not recently had pets in it. Try to book a room without wall-to-wall carpet (i.e. Yacht Club, Coronado). Have the supplies arrive at least a day early so there is time for the hotel to receive and process them.
Create laminated tags to put on the cycler suitcase that says FRAGILE: Medical Device (Bring along some extra tags in case these fall off/get lost). The cycler suitcase likely won't fit in the overhead so you may have to gate-check it with a special colored tag or if you are lucky the flight attendant will put it in the first-class closet. Airline staff is not always familiar with procedure for medical equipment. I don't think the airline will let you carry-on the disinfectant liquids. Kleenex makes a box of disposable pop-up paper hand towels that are good for drying hands. Bring collection bags just in case the tubing doesn't reach the toilet. You may want to bring a hand-held urinal in case the tubing length prevents you from reaching the toilet at night. Bring a bunch of kitchen garbage bags to dispose of gloves, packaging, etc. Bring a cutter with a non-exposed blade (such as used for slicing open bags of frozen vegetables) to more quickly drain the residual fluid in bags (or drain the unused fluid bags upon check-out). You can also use a Command hook to hang bag when draining residual fluid bag.

I forgot to add... TSA will probably take out your machine to inspect it when you go through security. Ask them to clean the table surface and to change their gloves before they handle your cycler to minimize germs getting on your equipment and supplies.

Communicate with disability services ahead of time. Ask the hotel for a flat-top room service cart on wheels to remain in the room to place the cycler on. Also request a power cord and bathroom scale. Request a room that has not recently had pets in it. Try to book a room without wall-to-wall carpet (i.e. Yacht Club, Coronado). Have the supplies arrive at least a day early so there is time for the hotel to receive and process them.
Create laminated tags to put on the cycler suitcase that says FRAGILE: Medical Device (Bring along some extra tags in case these fall off/get lost). The cycler suitcase likely won't fit in the overhead so you may have to gate-check it with a special colored tag or if you are lucky the flight attendant will put it in the first-class closet. Airline staff is not always familiar with procedure for medical equipment. I don't think the airline will let you carry-on the disinfectant liquids. Kleenex makes a box of disposable pop-up paper hand towels that are good for drying hands. Bring collection bags just in case the tubing doesn't reach the toilet. You may want to bring a hand-held urinal in case the tubing length prevents you from reaching the toilet at night. Bring a bunch of kitchen garbage bags to dispose of gloves, packaging, etc. Bring a cutter with a non-exposed blade (such as used for slicing open bags of frozen vegetables) to more quickly drain the residual fluid in bags (or drain the unused fluid bags upon check-out). You can also use a Command hook to hang bag when draining residual fluid bag.
These are wonderful tips, thank you. We are staying at the Riviera, so not sure of carpeting. I hadn't thought of asking for the room service tray (I have been looking at videos of the room to try to figure out where to put everything). I do use a drain bag and will put it in a garbage can in case of leaks (maybe I can ask for an extra one of those). Hopefully, I can carry on the cycler as I was told to never check it. My son was able to fly twice with one in carry on with the soft case. Thanks again!

These are wonderful tips, thank you. We are staying at the Riviera, so not sure of carpeting. I hadn't thought of asking for the room service tray (I have been looking at videos of the room to try to figure out where to put everything). I do use a drain bag and will put it in a garbage can in case of leaks (maybe I can ask for an extra one of those). Hopefully, I can carry on the cycler as I was told to never check it. My son was able to fly twice with one in carry on with the soft case. Thanks again!
Correct, never ever check the cycler case with the regular baggage. If it is too big for the overhead compartment, the flight attendant may make you check it at the gate it like they do with wheelchairs, walkers and strollers but it sounds as if you have a smaller device so that won't be an issue. You can probably place the collection drain bag in the bathtub if you are worried about leaks. Has your PD nurse shown you how to drain directly into the toilet instead of having to use a collection bag? A plastic hook secures the tubing to the toilet rim and the seat goes over it. It is more convenient than the extra step of having to empty the collection bag. You might also request that the hotel change the room's air conditioning filter to minimize germs. Make a written list of all the supplies you will need to bring with you and don't forget antibacterial soap to wash hands. Clorox makes travel packs of bleach wipes but these are very hard to find now. Happy to answer any other questions. Good luck and hope you have a wonderful trip!!

Correct, never ever check the cycler case with the regular baggage. If it is too big for the overhead compartment, the flight attendant may make you check it at the gate it like they do with wheelchairs, walkers and strollers but it sounds as if you have a smaller device so that won't be an issue. You can probably place the collection drain bag in the bathtub if you are worried about leaks. Has your PD nurse shown you how to drain directly into the toilet instead of having to use a collection bag? A plastic hook secures the tubing to the toilet rim and the seat goes over it. It is more convenient than the extra step of having to empty the collection bag. You might also request that the hotel change the room's air conditioning filter to minimize germs. Make a written list of all the supplies you will need to bring with you and don't forget antibacterial soap to wash hands. Clorox makes travel packs of bleach wipes but these are very hard to find now. Happy to answer any other questions. Good luck and hope you have a wonderful trip!!
Thanks. Good idea about the ac filter. We travel by rv often so I have a good list for packing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter